• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Secure Knife Storage Ideas: Helping a Customer with Kids

In summary, she can store her knives in drawers or on a magnetic strip, but she should avoid wood blocks and knife blocks with slits because they're a bad idea. She can also put child proof locks on the drawer to keep her kids from getting them.
PC_CPR
Hello,
I had a customer hesitate on the knives because she'd have to store them in drawers and she was afraid her kids would get into the drawers. Do any of you know of other ideas or alternatives to pass along to her for storing the knives? A while ago, I had seen online a "magnet" type add on for under the top cabinets. I didn't like it for me but am not sure if it's a decent idea to pass along to her. Also, I remember reading somewhere that knife blocks were actually not good for the blades. Has anyone heard this too or can corroborate? Thanks!

that was an issue my sisterinlaw had. She is interested in buying the knives but wanted them in a block. I told her that I have a set of different brand, and by putting them inside the block constantly, I damaged one of my knives. The tip of it actually broke off in the block!

I wish I were more help. I am looking forward to seeing more of the responses so I can let my SIL know too!

not sure if this helps or not but I lock mine up in my curio cabinet! That way my kids cannot get ot them without making lots of noise.

I will say this, I bought an expensive Japanese knife--a Global-- before I became a consultant. It does not come with a sheath or a case or nothing! They sell drawer inserts separately for them. So I was glad to have the PC sheaths. I hate knife blocks anyway cause I don't want more stuff on my counter-tops.

My sister has a basket on top of her refrigerator that holds all of her knives. Mine are in my drawer. Neither of my kids was/is the dig through the drawers and cupboards types. Hers, on the other hand ... :eek:

Another storage option: wall-mounted magnetic strips...though having them in sight like that may be too appealing to little eyes:eek: . (Take a magnet to our knives and you'll see how they almost 'lock' onto the magnetic strip!)

Concerns on wood blocks: a lot of knives get damaged because they are stored with the blade down versus up. Also, many woodblocks don't accomodate long blades (more than 8"), so the tips on those pieces frequently get damaged.

Wood blocks are a bad idea according to my brother, a professional chef. The magnetic strips are a good idea - I bought one for about $20 from amazon.com but they have them at Bed Bath & Beyond. They're up against the wall, kids & pets can't reach 'em, they're protected from getting banged into, and they look cool.

PC_CPR said:
Hello,
I had a customer hesitate on the knives because she'd have to store them in drawers and she was afraid her kids would get into the drawers.

Thanks!

Where does she store her knives now? :eek:

i actually keep mine in my TTA on top of my china closet in my kitchen. i had the same problem with my 3 yr old getting curious... i have the knives with sharpening cases in my drawers but i don't use them anymore since i got the new forged. i still wish they would come up with a better case for them too!

I bought the Kapoosh knife holder/block. It is different from other blocks because it has no slits for knives. It is made up of thousands of pieces of plastic "spaghetti" You can put any knife of any size into it and it molds around the knives. It is also dishwasher safe, so it can be cleaned. I love mine because I have some other brands of knives and I can keep them all in the same place with the kapoosh. I got it at bed, bath and beyond or Linens n things. They are about $30-$40 but well worth it.

I 2nd the Kapoosh! The only thing that I don't care for is that the bread knife is so long that it doesn't go all of the way in. But it does fit all of our forged line, including 4 steak knives!!

I store mine on top of my microwave in the back, that way they are always handy but out of the way of little hands

What about putting the child proof locks on the drawer, my husband put these on all of our cupboards and drawers when our children were smaller. Just a thought

Somewhere I heard about putting knives blade side UP in a knife block....doesn't stop some of the problems with potential damage to tips but it does get them stored (if you have a block already) and it does keep them from dulling to quickly. I had been looking for an alternative....I'm going to check out the kaboosh one suggested in a prior post.

Her oldest daughter is 6; so I think she might beat the safety latches/locks. The Kaboosh sounds like a good option for her. If anyone has more ideas keep 'em coming.Thanks!

jenniferknapp said:
I 2nd the Kapoosh! The only thing that I don't care for is that the bread knife is so long that it doesn't go all of the way in. But it does fit all of our forged line, including 4 steak knives!!
:love: LOVE THE KAPOOSH!!!!:love:

Chozengirl said:
:love: LOVE THE KAPOOSH!!!!:love:

I'm assuming the fibers in the kapoosh won't dull the knife?

I was SO hoping that PC would come out with a similar product in the fall line... maybe black to match the TTA or in the new oiled bamboo on the outside, wouldn't that be pretty? Wonder if I should buy the kapoosh or keep sending "knife block vibes" in the direction of Illinois...

dwyerkim said:

I was SO hoping that PC would come out with a similar product in the fall line... maybe black to match the TTA or in the new oiled bamboo on the outside, wouldn't that be pretty? Wonder if I should buy the kapoosh or keep sending "knife block vibes" in the direction of Illinois...

That would be soooooo cool! Black shows too much dust! I love the look of the new bamboo utencils, though!

dwyerkim said:

Ever chance we get for product recommendations, I put that down!!!!

I would like to even see an in-drawer insert...that has that molded foamy stuff that the carving set & steak knives has inside the cases.....that way the blades def wouldn't get dull!

I use the magnetic strip for most knives. My forged knives it on the windowsill in their sheaths. LOVE the kapoosh thingy!

One tip I did hear on either the food network or hgtv was to store your knives in your knife block with the blade UP. That way it's not scraping against the wood.

Just googled the kapoosh block and sent the link to HO as a product suggestion. Target has one in stainless steel.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1186774038/ref=sr_1_1/602-2048229-9699819?ie=UTF8&asin=B000O38NRK

Aww man, I wish they had the stainless one when I found mine! Oh well, the wood one from Bed, Bath & Beyond is still nice :)....but, that stainless one would match our knives I bet, grr!

I agree. I wish they had stainless when I got mine. The Kapoosh does not dull your knives at all. I love it. I also send in this suggestion all the time. I would love for PC to come out with their own design like the Kapoosh.

dcypcar.chef said:
I bought the Kapoosh knife holder/block. It is different from other blocks because it has no slits for knives. It is made up of thousands of pieces of plastic "spaghetti" You can put any knife of any size into it and it molds around the knives. It is also dishwasher safe, so it can be cleaned. I love mine because I have some other brands of knives and I can keep them all in the same place with the kapoosh. I got it at bed, bath and beyond or Linens n things. They are about $30-$40 but well worth it.

Don't forget your 20% off coupon! I don't have a Kapoosh, but I may look into one.

finley1991 said:
Just googled the kapoosh block and sent the link to HO as a product suggestion. Target has one in stainless steel.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1186774038/ref=sr_1_1/602-2048229-9699819?ie=UTF8&asin=B000O38NRK
Okay, that's too cool!

ok seriously, who named it a kapoosh? did they lose a bet or something?

What about our Tool TurnAbout? I store all my knives in the sheaths in the TurnAbout.

We store our sharps behind the microwave! Makes it a little annoying for us -but SAFE for our kids!!!!

dcypcar.chef said:

I have one of these also and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Also, FWIW, it has the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

Last edited:
PamperedChefDebi said:
I have one of these also and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Also, FWIW, it has the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.
I would like to get one of these but now I'm holding out hope that we come out with one in the spring... I hate the thought of buying one only to replace it in a few months.

I to have had people bauk at purchasing the knives because they want them in a block, thanks for the ideas!

I just have to "4th" (or 5th or whatever!) the Kapoosh - while I don't own one myself, suggesting that to one of my hosts in July is what got her and her husband to decide to get all 5 of the forged cutlery knives as one of her half-priced host item. The hubby HAD to have some kind of knife block and wouldn't buy the set unless he could have one. I emailed her the link to the Kapoosh, and BOOM, sold the knives!! So, until PC comes out with something like it, I'm recommending it to anyone who buys the knives and asks for a block!!

PCJenni said:
What about our Tool TurnAbout? I store all my knives in the sheaths in the TurnAbout.

I have suggested this, also, but it's just not the same as a 'block', and some people, no matter how much you tell them something, they just won't budge and want a "block"!! ;)

ginamkiely said:
ok seriously, who named it a kapoosh? did they lose a bet or something?

ROFL!! I'm betting it has something to do with the way it sounds when you put the knife in there - "ka-POOSH!" ;)

1. What are some alternative storage options for knives to prevent children from accessing them?

One option is to use a knife block with a child-proof lock, such as the Kapoosh SafeSlot Knife Block. Another option is to store the knives in a high cabinet that is out of reach for children. Additionally, magnetic knife strips can be installed on the wall at a height that is not accessible to children.

2. Is it safe to use a magnetic knife strip for storing knives?

Yes, magnetic knife strips are a safe and convenient way to store knives. However, it is important to make sure the strip is securely mounted and that the knives are placed on the strip with the blade facing upwards to prevent any accidents.

3. Are knife blocks bad for the blades?

No, knife blocks are not bad for the blades. In fact, they can help protect the blades from damage or dulling. However, it is important to properly clean and dry the knives before storing them in the block to prevent any rust or bacteria growth.

4. What is the best way to store knives to keep them sharp?

The best way to store knives to keep them sharp is to use a knife block or magnetic knife strip, as mentioned earlier. It is also important to make sure the knives are not stored in a cluttered or messy drawer, as this can cause them to rub against each other and become dull.

5. Are there any other tips for securely storing knives?

Aside from using a knife block or magnetic strip, another tip for securely storing knives is to use blade guards. These are plastic or silicone covers that can be placed over the blade of the knife to protect it and prevent any accidents. It is also important to regularly clean and sharpen the knives to maintain their quality and safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
Jasmine
  • gratergirl
  • General Chat
Replies