• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substitute for Jamaican Jerk Rub?

In summary, the customer needed a Jamaican Jerk Rub for a recipe, and I drove by her house after church to drop it off.
esavvymom
Staff member
I had a customer ask me yesterday for the Jamaican Jerk Rub- and I have a bottle, but she needed it by Sunday for a recipe she was making for a dinner w/guests. She's not going to be at church now after all for us to make the exchange, so I was hoping I could offer her a decent substitute for the Jamaican Jerk Rub in the recipe. It only calls for 1 Tbsp.

I thought I'd seen something in a Cook's Note somewhere along the way as a subsistence, but can't remember what it may have been.

I'd take her the bottle, but she lives quite a ways from me, and I'm not going to drive all the way over there for a $4 rub. It will cost me $5-6 in gas!

Ideas?

It would probably just be easier for her to buy another brand of Jerk seasoning from the grocery store. Jerk has a lot of different spices in it, and I think a substitute would be kind of complex.

Thanks for the link. I'll remember that next time. I did end up driving by her place after church to drop off the Jamaican Rub she needed. It's a good thing really. When she got to the door, she was in tears. She brought me my money, and I asked her if she was ok. (We taught VBS together last month.) She was stressed about entertaining in a few hours, needing the house cleaned, etc. But I think what did it was she said she lost her cookbook that had the two recipes she was making. She had gone shopping for the food, but now couldn't find her book. I knew it was an old Season's Best cookbook that I had given her last month- so I said "I can email them to you when I get home!" I just did- so hopefully that helps her out.
Hopefully it all works out for her, but my going the extra mile (or 9 in this case), may have made the difference in her day. (I hope at least a little!)

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience with your customer's request. While there are many delicious substitutes for Jamaican Jerk Rub, it's important to note that they may alter the flavor of the recipe. Some options could be using a combination of paprika, cayenne pepper, and thyme, or even a Cajun seasoning blend. However, if possible, I would recommend trying to find a way to get the Jamaican Jerk Rub to your customer as it is specifically called for in the recipe. Maybe you could suggest a local store where she could purchase it, or offer to cover the cost of shipping the bottle to her. I hope this helps and that your customer's dinner turns out to be a success!

What ingredients can I use as a substitute for Jamaican Jerk Rub?

If you don't have Jamaican Jerk Rub on hand, you can make your own substitute by combining equal parts of allspice, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and dried red pepper flakes.

Can I use a different type of spice blend as a substitute for Jamaican Jerk Rub?

Yes, you can use any spice blend that has similar flavors to Jamaican Jerk Rub, such as Cajun seasoning or Caribbean jerk seasoning. Just be aware that the final dish may have a slightly different taste.

Is there a vegetarian or vegan alternative to Jamaican Jerk Rub?

Yes, you can use a combination of ground cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and dried thyme as a vegetarian/vegan substitute for Jamaican Jerk Rub. You can also add some soy sauce or liquid smoke for a smokier flavor.

Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs for a substitute?

Yes, you can use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs in your homemade Jamaican Jerk Rub substitute. Just keep in mind that the measurements will be different, and the final dish may have a slightly different taste.

How do I adjust the spice level in my homemade Jamaican Jerk Rub substitute?

If you prefer a milder spice level, you can decrease the amount of dried red pepper flakes in your homemade substitute. You can also add a bit of brown sugar or honey to balance out the heat. If you want a spicier rub, you can increase the amount of red pepper flakes or add a dash of cayenne pepper.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• flemings99
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • Dotty
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies