• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Scandinavian St. Lucia Bun Recipes & Traditions

In summary, the recipe for St Lucia buns you found on Allrecipes.com is a simple and easy way to celebrate the holiday. You can make them using a bread machine, or by hand. They are made with milk, eggs, butter, bread flour, brown sugar, orange peel, saffron, and cinnamon. You can also buy the crowns to complete the celebration.
myinnerchef
Gold Member
I know this isn't a PC thing, but I'm wondering if anyone here is Scandinavian and has a recipe for St. Lucia buns that does not require saffron. My DD heard about this tradition from one of my cousins (her family embraced our Norwegian heritage) and wants to begin celebrating it in our family.

If you celebrate, how do you so? What do you use for the crown?

just curious why would you omit the saffron?

Teresa Lynn said:
just curious why would you omit the saffron?

Because it's $300 per ounce.

You can get the quanity you need for the recipe in the grocery store. It is pricey but more like $18-$25. It doesn't take much to cook with.

Here's a link to a recipe for pulla. You can use this recipe to make the St Lucia day buns, or you can make these just as is.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Finnish-Pulla/Detail.aspx

Of course, you would just shape it into the St Lucia bun shape instead of creating a braid.

many grocery stores sell threads and its under $10

I celebrate St. Lucia Day with my 2nd grade class every year. (My B-day is the 15th, and I'm the oldest girl in our family, and I became enthralled with Lucia at a young age. I never could understand why Mom wouldn't let me walk around with candles on my head! LOL! Now that I'm grown we celebrate every year. The girls make construction paper Lucia Crowns, and the boys make star boy hats. The we bake Lucia Buns, bring our bathrobes and have a parade then eat and drink hot cocoa! Fun Fun! Anyway........when I started doing this I was put off by the cost of saffron too, and just substituted cinnamon in the rolls we make (figured the kids would like that better anyway since it's familiar). They are always yummy!! We let my bread machine do the mixing and first raising, then they each get some balls of dough and roll them out into "snakes" and then curl 2 together to make the double s shapes. Recipe is on my other computer, I'll post it when I can!!!

Thank you, straitfan, that's exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait for the recipe.

I actually got to wear candles but I think I was 12 at the time and the oldest young girl at our church. I LOVED playing Lucia for the few years it was my turn!

Lucky you Erin.....your mom must have been nicer than mine! LOL! Here's the recipe I use every year! Saint Lucia Day Buns
We use a 2 lb. bread
machine to help us mix up the
dough. Ingredients:
1 Cup Milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter or margarine cut
up
4 Cups of bread flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons finely shredded
orange peel
1/4 teaspoon thread saffron
crushed (we used 1 1/2
teaspoons of cinnamon instead)1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon water
16 raisins
granulated sugar (we used
powder sugar icing)Directions:
Add the first nine ingredients to
the machine according to the
manufacturer’s directions.
Select the dough cycle. When
cycle is complete, remove
dough from machine. Punch
down. Cover and let rest for 10
min.
Divide the dough in to 32
portions. On a lightly floured
surface, roll each portion into a
smooth 10 inch long rope. Form
each rope into an S shape and
curve each end into a coil. Cross
2 of these S shape ropes to
form an X. Repeat with the
remaining S shape ropes. Place
ropes on a greased large
baking sheet. Cover and let rise
in a warm place about 30 min.
or until nearly double.
In a small bowl combine the
beaten egg and water; brush
over buns. Place 1 raisin in the
center of each coil. Sprinkle the
buns with granulated sugar.
Bake in a 375 degree oven
about 10 min. or until golden
brown. Remove from baking
sheet; cool on a wire rack.

erinyourpclady said:
I actually got to wear candles but I think I was 12 at the time and the oldest young girl at our church. I LOVED playing Lucia for the few years it was my turn!

We have a Swedish community about 40 miles away from here (Lindsborg), and they do the traditional Lucia Day celebration every year. They have a troupe of Swedish Dancers and one of the Senior girls gets voted to be Lucia and preside over the service. I've been several times and really enjoy it.

myinnerchef said:
If you celebrate, how do you so? What do you use for the crown?

You've got me going now......They actually sell the crowns with battery candles in some of the shops in the little town I wrote about in my earlier post. Bet you could fine one on the internet, or let me know and I can probably get one and send it to you (but probably not before Saturday!)

There is a fabulous store that is in Lindsborg but also has a catalog and website...http://www.helmslojd.com

I know I was lucky to have the experience...my mom never got to and I was the only girl in our family.

Related to Scandinavian St. Lucia Bun Recipes & Traditions

1. What is the history behind St. Lucia Buns?

St. Lucia Buns, also known as Lussekatter, are a traditional Swedish pastry that is typically baked and served during the holiday season. They are named after Saint Lucia, a Christian martyr who was known for her kindness and generosity towards the poor. The tradition of baking these buns dates back to the 1600s in Sweden and is now a beloved Christmas tradition in many Scandinavian countries.

2. What ingredients are used in a traditional St. Lucia Bun recipe?

The main ingredients in St. Lucia Buns include flour, sugar, butter, milk, yeast, and saffron. Saffron is what gives the buns their iconic yellow color and is a key ingredient in traditional recipes. Other optional ingredients include raisins, cardamom, and almonds.

3. Can I make St. Lucia Buns without saffron?

While saffron is a traditional ingredient in St. Lucia Buns, it can be quite expensive and hard to find. If you are unable to find saffron or prefer not to use it, you can substitute it with turmeric, which will give the buns a similar yellow color. Just be sure to use a small amount, as turmeric has a stronger flavor than saffron.

4. What is the traditional way to shape St. Lucia Buns?

The traditional way to shape St. Lucia Buns is to roll them into an "S" shape or a figure-eight shape. However, you can also simply roll them into a classic bun shape if you prefer. It's all a matter of personal preference and does not affect the taste of the buns.

5. Are there any variations of St. Lucia Buns?

Yes, there are many variations of St. Lucia Buns. Some recipes include glazing the buns with a sugar syrup or adding a sprinkle of pearl sugar on top. Others may add dried cranberries or currants to the dough for added flavor and texture. Feel free to get creative and add your own twist to the traditional recipe!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefJoyJ
  • Kitchen Diva
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • pampered2007
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies