• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rustic Baccala Recipes for a Delicious Christmas Eve Feast

In order to prepare it...it must soak in cold water for 3 days. Every 4 hours you must drain the water and start again. This helps to diminish the salt of the cod fish. When you are looking to purchase the baccala, pick the thick pieces.It can be used as part of the Italian traditonal 7 fishes meal on Christmas eve & can be prepared in homemade tomato sauce (the baccala takes the place
BigJohn
Now I need help from all my Italian friends here. What are some ideas for the preparation and serving of Baccala, I'd like to use rustic recipes if possible, it is going to be part of my Christmas Eve feast this year.

Last edited:
Geesh, I don't even know what Baccala is. At first I thought you typed baklava. I'm anxious to see the results.

I thought Baklava too until I read Italian friends. I would also be interested in the recipe. Is it a dessert?

Baccala is a dried cod, an italian traditional Christmas Eve dish, but I have no clue how to prepare it, I'm the adventurous type and since my DW's family is Italian ( I mean from Italy) I thought it would be a cool surprise for them.

I'd look under epicurious.com -- they have zillions of recipes

BigJohn said:
Baccala is a dried cod, an italian traditional Christmas Eve dish, but I have no clue how to prepare it, I'm the adventurous type and since my DW's family is Italian ( I mean from Italy) I thought it would be a cool surprise for them.

I googled it, and found a whole Baccala website!

Who knew?

BigJohn said:
Now I need help from all my Italian friends here. What are some ideas for the preparation and serving of Baccala, I'd like to use rustic recipes if possible, it is going to be part of my Christmas Eve feast this year.
You can make it several ways. In order to prepare it...it must soak in cold water for 3 days. Every 4 hours you must drain the water and start again. This helps to diminish the salt of the cod fish. When you are looking to purchase the baccala, pick the thick pieces.
It can be used as part of the Italian traditonal 7 fishes meal on Christmas eve & can be prepared in homemade tomato sauce (the baccala takes the place of the meat), fried, or used in salad. Hope this helps. Mangiare felice & Buon Natale!!

BigJohn said:
Preparing/Serving Bakala

150px-Scott_Bakula_in_2005.PNG

I'm not sure his wife, Chelsea Field, would be real happy about this.

But I liked him in Quantum Leap but not so much in Enterprise.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
150px-Scott_Bakula_in_2005.PNG

I'm not sure his wife, Chelsea Field, would be real happy about this.

But I liked him in Quantum Leap but not so much in Enterprise.

I didn't know he was married to Chelsea Field!

Huh - learn something new every day.:D

Liked him in Enterprise, have no idea who Chelsea Field is! :)

Back on topic, I also had no idea what baccala was either, so I learned something too!

The fishiest I ever got on CHristmas Day was when we had a Polish family come over, and they brought their traditional dish - a whole carp!

That was also the year we lost power in the morning and had to take our turkey to a friends house to cook... We had no tree lights, no music, and a Polish family to entertain! It was a funny Christmas! :) Good memories...

1. What is Bakala?

Bakala is a traditional Lebanese dish that consists of salted cod fish, typically served during Lent. It is a popular dish in many Mediterranean countries and has a unique and delicious flavor.

2. How do I prepare Bakala?

To prepare Bakala, soak the salted cod fish in water for 24-48 hours, changing the water every few hours. Once the fish is desalted, boil it in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain the fish and remove any bones or skin. Then, add it to a pan with sautéed onions, garlic, tomatoes, and spices. Simmer for 10-15 minutes and serve hot with rice or crusty bread.

3. Can I use fresh fish instead of salted cod?

Yes, you can use fresh fish instead of salted cod for Bakala. However, the traditional recipe calls for salted cod as it adds a unique flavor to the dish. If using fresh fish, it is recommended to add a small amount of salt to the dish to achieve a similar taste.

4. How should I serve Bakala?

Bakala is typically served as a main dish with rice or bread. You can also serve it as an appetizer by spreading it on crackers or toasted bread. It is also delicious when served with a side of vegetables or a fresh salad.

5. Can I freeze leftover Bakala?

Yes, you can freeze leftover Bakala for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in a pan or microwave. It is not recommended to refreeze Bakala once it has been thawed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies