• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Revamp Your Child's School Lunch with Creative Ideas for Picky Eaters

In summary, this conversation is about finding new and creative ideas for a child's school lunch. The child is in kindergarten and does not like pre-packaged lunches. Some suggestions include tortilla roll-ups, apple with peanut butter and graham crackers, turkey and cheese slices with ketchup for dipping, and a mix of nuts and dried fruit. Other ideas mentioned are sandwiches with fun shapes, yogurt and granola, and hot items in a thermos. Some unconventional options include bagels with cream cheese, peanut butter and cheese sandwiches, and mini corn dogs made with cornbread muffins and hot dogs.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I need some new/creative ideas for my son's school lunch. He likes to take his lunch b/c he says that it takes too long to wait in the line (and the school food is pretty bad). Keep in mind that DS is in Kindergarten, he's not a real picky eater but is sort of set in his ways. Usually he gets a pbj or cheese sandwich with cookies, chips, raisins, or friut. He does not like any of the pre-packaged 'Lunchable things' (thank goodness! :yuck: )

What kinds of thing do you all send for lunch?

you could make tortilla roll-up sandwiches. Take a tortilla add meat and cheese if you have a way to keep it cool.

My guy is sometimes an unconventional eater.....he likes PB&J, and Cheese sandwiches....but sometimes wants something different. He's 3 1/2 - but here are some things that he likes:

Apple w/ peanut butter for dipping and graham crackers
turkey and cheese slices rolled up with ketchup (yuck!:yuck: ) for dipping.
veggies and dip w/ a cheese stick and crackers
cheese stick and grapes w/ half of a PB & honey sandwich

He also loves nuts of any kind - so sometimes when he is being particular, I just give him a little bowl of mixed nuts with some cheerios and raisins(like trail mix, sorta), and an apple or orange or banana.

I believe "boring school lunch" is redundant.Oh, wait, I'm remembering the Korean War Rations Surplus hot lunches I had as a kid. Carry on.

pamperedlinda said:
I need some new/creative ideas for my son's school lunch. He likes to take his lunch b/c he says that it takes too long to wait in the line (and the school food is pretty bad). Keep in mind that DS is in Kindergarten, he's not a real picky eater but is sort of set in his ways. Usually he gets a pbj or cheese sandwich with cookies, chips, raisins, or friut. He does not like any of the pre-packaged 'Lunchable things' (thank goodness! :yuck: )

What kinds of thing do you all send for lunch?

DD is queen of routine...

Sandwiches for 3 months were: 1 slice of bologna, one slice of cheese - cut off the crust or use cookie cutters for shapes.

We have now progressed into an occasional PB&J (strawberry).

Side items are usually yogurt or a cheese stick.

She occasionally gets pudding as a "treat".

That's pretty much it!

Used to do raisins and apples and stuff but she won't eat it half the time.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I believe "boring school lunch" is redundant.

Oh, wait, I'm remembering the Korean War Rations Surplus hot lunches I had as a kid. Carry on.
I don't think it has changed that much......:yuck:

Oh - Janet's post reminded me - he also likes yogurt and granola with a banana or apple. Strangely enough - DH also likes to have me pack this for his lunch! Every so often he will remind me that he hasn't had yogurt and granola for a while.....and when I have shows on Saturdays, and I'm not home for lunch - this almost always what they have!

One of my new tasks at home is to pack lunch for DH (a cost-saving measure so he doesn't go out). But that's different, because he has access to a microwave (today I sent him with a "taco kit": a bowl of taco meat, 3 flour tortillas, a little bowl of sour cream, a little bowl of shredded cheese and some taco sauce).As a kid, I remember liking bagel with cream cheese for lunch, or cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. Peanut Butter and cheese; peanut butter and honey; salami and cheese sandwich.You can use turkey or ham and make roll-ups with tortillas or just with the meat and a piece of cheese. PB&J on a tortilla makes a good roll-up, too (and you can sprinkle on a little granola).

Lunch SolutionsMake his sandwiches using the Cut n' Seal. My kids LOVE that. Cut up cheese slices with the creative cutters. Send him hot items in a thermos. Walmart has a perfect 1 cup size thermos perfect for little tummies. Also, if you can get a hold of the Mini Muffin Tin booklet (posted here), make the "mini corn dogs" - you merely make up cornbread muffins as per directions on the package. Place 1" pieces of hot dogs into bottom of muffin tins, then top with the muffin batter. Bake until Done. Voila. Easy and kids LOVE it.

:balloon:

chefann said:
One of my new tasks at home is to pack lunch for DH (a cost-saving measure so he doesn't go out). But that's different, because he has access to a microwave (today I sent him with a "taco kit": a bowl of taco meat, 3 flour tortillas, a little bowl of sour cream, a little bowl of shredded cheese and some taco sauce).

As a kid, I remember liking bagel with cream cheese for lunch, or cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. Peanut Butter and cheese; peanut butter and honey; salami and cheese sandwich.

You can use turkey or ham and make roll-ups with tortillas or just with the meat and a piece of cheese. PB&J on a tortilla makes a good roll-up, too (and you can sprinkle on a little granola).

I do this for DH too - he likes soups, and taco kits, and Amy's Frozen Burritos with little bowls of sour cream and salsa. He's also pretty good about eating leftovers for lunch.

Another thing that DS likes is flavored cream cheese in celery sticks, or peanut butter in celery sticks.....again, with whole-grain crackers....

I'm a little obsessive - but I try to make sure he gets a protein, a fruit or veggie, and a whole grain with all of his meals. So, as long as it meets that criteria - it could be anything!
And he just told me he'd like to roast the cat for lunch today....where does he come up with these things!:eek:

I would do a tortilla (maybe wheat) with yogurt, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado and if you could push it maybe some sunflower seeds. Also if he eats meat some of that as well. Or make chicken, tuna or egg salad and make mini sandwiches. I second the apples and peanut butter. That's what I eat for breakfast everyday. So good and filling. Does he like pasta/potato salad? You could try that as well.....

Now I'm hungry:)

muffetts said:
Make his sandwiches using the Cut n' Seal. .......
Funny that you mention this - DS doesn't like 'circle sandwiches'. I bought this a few months ago as a surprise. He came home from school all mad at me and informed me that he likes squares and don't ever give him circle sandwiches again.....hmp! Go figure.

You and Ann reminded me of the story of the little old man who, every day at lunch, opened his lunchbox and said, "A cream cheese and jelly sandwich. Every day, a cream cheese and jelly sandwich. For twenty five years, every day, a cream cheese and jelly sandwich." Then he'd shut up and eat.After a several days of this, the new guy said, "I'm tired of your whining every day! Why don't you ask your wife to make you something different for lunch?"The old guy looked at him with surprise and said, "I can't! I live alone!"

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You and Ann reminded me of the story of the little old man who, every day at lunch, opened his lunchbox and said, "A cream cheese and jelly sandwich. Every day, a cream cheese and jelly sandwich. For twenty five years, every day, a cream cheese and jelly sandwich." Then he'd shut up and eat.

After a several days of this, the new guy said, "I'm tired of your whining every day! Why don't you ask your wife to make you something different for lunch?"

The old guy looked at him with surprise and said, "I can't! I live alone!"

Thanks for the laugh! Good thing I work upstairs by myself, people would probably be wondering what I was laughing about.

I bought my DD a nice thermos (I got it when she was in kindergarten). I fill it with Spaghettios, chili, chicken noodle soup, leftovers...I superheat it and heat up the thermos before loading it up, and she says the food is still steaming when she opens it at lunch.

We also do wheat tortillas w/ meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. Sometimes I pack a small Tupperware bowl of whole grain cereal and she buys a milk carton and has cereal for lunch.

For sides I pack cheese sticks, yogurt, those little Breakstone cottage cheese containers, carrots w/ the small dips, small granola bars, pretty much any fruit.

My dd is in a huge pbj rut. To make life easier (and faster) in the morning, I freeze a bunch of them ahead of time. (I have 4 kids and a daycare, so mornings are chaotic!)

I buy a loaf of bread, make as many sandwiches as will fit, and put it back the sleeve, and into the freezer. By the time she eats lunch, it has thawed. Here's my trick to keep them from being soggy - put PB on both slices of bread, and a layer of jelly on top of one of them. The barrier keeps the jelly from seeping through and making it soggy. Dh grabs these often, too, lol.

Love the idea of putting spaghettios or soup or leftovers. I've gotta get to Walmart and pick up some Thermoses!!!

Nothing exciting, here. My kids have access to a microwave in the classroom. I send them the Campbell's Soup at Hand or the other soups in microwaveable containers. They like fruit cups like Dole or DelMonte and they like Motts Healthy Harvest applesauce. One son likes low sodium V-8. Other son likes baby carrots. Sometimes, I crinkle cut cucumbers. Lunch meat and cheese or PB&J's. I bought a big package of individual packed Baked chips, Dorritos, Cheeto's and pretzels. They were on sale.

I seldom have to pack lunches (our son takes whatever leftovers we have for lunch) the other day 2 moms called within 20 minutes and wanted a recipe...... I gave it to the first one when the second one called she wanted that one and 2 other recipes I had made that week I said ok, I don't mind sharing but I'm curious why are you asking? My son had been sharing leftovers with the football team and they called their moms & told them to get the recipes.When they were smaller though, they each had a small stainless thermo they had a metallic finish and were cool to take unlike our red plaid ones from our lunchboxes.
I have a hot water tap so, I'd fill them in the morning when I got up then heat up a can of soup, leftovers, ramen noodles or whatever they wanted or I'd fill it with ice for cottage cheese, pasta salads or fruit.I have always had baskets in my pantry with the prepackaged snacks and when they were smaller they knew they could have 1 choice from each basket ( chips or crackers and cheese type foods, one had desserts jellos, fruit cups, puddings, candy bar or little debbies the other would have slim jims and those type of snacks)My daughter takes those individual containers or ranch dressing and a salad or veggies to dip

1. What are some healthy but fun options for school lunches?

Some healthy and fun options for school lunches are homemade trail mix, veggie and hummus wraps, fruit skewers, and sushi rolls made with whole grain wraps and lean protein like tuna or avocado.

2. How can I prevent my child's lunch from getting boring?

To prevent your child's lunch from getting boring, try incorporating a variety of colors, textures, and flavors in their meals. You can also involve them in the meal planning process and let them choose their own ingredients or try new recipes together.

3. How can I keep my child's lunch fresh and safe to eat?

To keep your child's lunch fresh and safe to eat, invest in a good insulated lunch box or thermos to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Pack perishable items with ice packs and remind your child to wash their hands before eating.

4. What are some creative ways to make sandwiches more exciting?

Some creative ways to make sandwiches more exciting are using different types of bread like pita or bagel, adding fun shapes with cookie cutters, using a variety of spreads and sauces, and adding unexpected ingredients like apple slices or pesto.

5. How can I make sure my child's lunch is balanced and nutritious?

To ensure your child's lunch is balanced and nutritious, include a source of protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and a healthy fat in their meal. You can also pack a small treat like a piece of dark chocolate or homemade energy balls for a fun and nutritious addition.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cheflorraine
  • BadGirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies