• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recipes for Large Families on a Budget

In summary, these kids will eat a lot and the author is looking for cheap meal ideas that will feed a lot of people. There are a few suggestions, including shopping at Walmart and making rice.
4kids4me
I have 6 children to feed (my stepchildren are here for the summer), and funds are tight. These kids eat a LOT. For example, we had hot dogs and mac n cheese the other night - we went through 2 dozen hot dogs and 3 boxes of macaroni and cheese. They're going to eat us out of house and home! I'm looking for any suggestions you may have for meals that feed a crowd - there are 8 of us incl my dh - and that are cheap! Thanks for your help!

Plus, I bet this would make a nice show topic!

That colosal chopped salad that someone started a thread about the other day feeds a lot!!! Alot!!!! Oh did I say that already! Another thing that I have found is shopping at the Walmart Superstore, really lowers my food costs! I really get great deals there!

oh by the way, good luck! I'd do things like crockpot bbq chicken legs and stuff like that! And rice not minute rice, goes far!

Stupid question, :) , first what would you use to make enough rice for so many people? And the bbq chx legs - is that just chx legs and a bottle of bbq sauce?

Check out hillbillyhousewife.com - she doesn't address large crowds I don't think, but she does address good filling food on a very strict budget... there might be something there that can help.

I always buy Jasmine rice (in the oriental foods section) and cook 2 cups of rice with 4 cups of water. It is super yummy.

Only 4 in my family but when I feed the lifeguards at camp, I make a big pot of spaghetti...

...you can vary slightly and buy larger cans to save $

30 oz tomato sauce (2 cans or buy larger)
21 1/2 oz. tomato soup (2 10-3/4 cans)
12 oz. tomato paste
10 oz. water
1/3 cup sugar
1 T Oregano
1 T Basil
1 T Italian Seasoning
2 lbs. ground beef

Brown ground beef and season with garlic salt. Mix all other ingredients in large pot, drain ground beef and add. Simmer on low for about 1/2 hour for the seasonings to really set in.

Serve with spaghetti noodles and get a large loaf of french bread, butter it, put some garlic salt on and heat it up. A large loaf of garlic bread can be bought for about 99 cents sometimes.

Note: I often double or triple the above recipe when I feed our fire department. You can also halve it for a family of 4.

Check out the cookbook "cheap, fast, good" it is by the people that do the desperation dinners cook books. I was going through it last night and it is as much about smart shopping/food storage as it is about recipes. I bet you could get it from the library too.

4kids4me said:
Stupid question, :) , first what would you use to make enough rice for so many people? And the bbq chx legs - is that just chx legs and a bottle of bbq sauce?
I just use regular white rice and I'd do probably 2-3 cups rice depending on the age of your kids, in my house I feed all 4 of us with 1 cup rice and 2 cups water! How ever many cups of rice you use, double the water! I'd put it in your rice cooker( if you have one) and go from there. If not, follow the directions on the package of rice for the stove top!
1-2 bottles of barbecue sauce and chicen drumsticks, with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and put it on low and cook it for 6-8 hours! yummy.... just determine your amount of seasonings, by how much seasonings your family likes!
Other great ideas are, make homemade bean soup! Buy 2 packages of dried beans (white or navy and mixed beans is what I used) and follow the directions. I use ham shanks and I let it cook all day in a huge stock pot on low, My family loves this!

chicken spaghetti
egg salad for lunches
pasta salads
there are 5 of us and my sons each eat a box of Kraft mac and cheese
will they eat pancakes and eggs for dinner?
chicken and rice
tacos and homemade refried beans

4kids4me said:
I have 6 children to feed (my stepchildren are here for the summer), and funds are tight. These kids eat a LOT. For example, we had hot dogs and mac n cheese the other night - we went through 2 dozen hot dogs and 3 boxes of macaroni and cheese. They're going to eat us out of house and home! I'm looking for any suggestions you may have for meals that feed a crowd - there are 8 of us incl my dh - and that are cheap! Thanks for your help!

Plus, I bet this would make a nice show topic!

This place saves me soooooooooooooo much time and LOADS of money! www.thecouponmaster.com I only buy coupons for things I use ALOT and stock up on them. For instance, my family goes through 4-5 half gallons of SILK soy milk (very expensive), but since I know I buy at least 4 a week, I've gotten 30 or more 55-cents off (they double here) coupons and save a bunch. Get them all involved in clipping/organizing. I told my kids they could keep half the coupon money if they helped since I hate doing it so much.

I was just playing around and came across this one http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/

I know alot of people who save money using this place www.thegrocerygame.com but they don't carry the food store I most prefer so it won't really work for me.

Recipe suggestions from me include

* Soups
* chili (put equal amounts of beans and vegetables)
* double batch and freeze one
* Buy in season and lots of frozen veggies
* Cereal for dinner once in a while is ok.
* Quiche and egg items
* pasta salad (lots of fresh veggies mixed in)

Prep ziplock bags with ingredients for cakes, cookies, quick breads every time you make something from scratch ~ for instance I bag up 2-4 extra "fruit & oatmeal scone" mixes, minus the butter and dried fruit every time I make them. Keeps me from buying expensive mixes.

* buy outdoor plates (PC of course) - to eliminate the cost of paper plates
* buy lots of PC towels to eliminate the cost of paper towels
* slice and chop your own onions and peppers, freeze in bags for later

Good luck!

** by the way if you join the grocery game will you say I referred you from [email protected] I may give it another whirl myself (it's exciting to see how much you saved) :)

Last edited:
Great and easy...Love the Cajun Chili Cornbread Skillet. Super filling, and feeds a ton of people.

Also, someone on this site posted a great chili dog recipe that my family loves...attached. Easy to double or triple.

The Butch's Tex Mex Salad is delicious and a full meal when you add meat (chicken I think would be best).

Haven't made the Beef and Vegi Chili Mac, but it looked good, and easy to double or triple...just use a larger pan.

HTHSIID!

Attachments

• Chili Dogs.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Butch's Wild West Tex-Mex Salad.doc
    66 KB · Views: 444
  • Beef and Vegetable Chili Mac.doc
    20 KB · Views: 377
  • Cajun Chili Cornbread Skillet.doc
    33 KB · Views: 369
You ladies are AWESOME! I can't wait til the kids go down to start exploring those sites and to copy down those recipes you have shared. Thank you so much - I knew I could count on you! :D

1. What types of recipes are included in the "Recipes for Large Families on a Budget" collection?

The collection includes a variety of recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks that are perfect for feeding a large family on a budget. Some examples include one-pot meals, casseroles, and slow cooker recipes.

2. Are the ingredients for these recipes expensive?

No, these recipes are specifically designed to be budget-friendly and use affordable ingredients that can be found at any grocery store.

3. Can I modify these recipes to fit my family's dietary restrictions?

Yes, many of the recipes can be easily modified to fit dietary restrictions such as gluten-free, dairy-free, or vegetarian. We also include tips for substitutions in the recipe instructions.

4. How many servings do these recipes make?

Most of the recipes in this collection make 6-8 servings, but some can be easily doubled or halved to fit your family's needs.

5. Are these recipes easy to follow for beginner cooks?

Yes, these recipes are designed to be simple and easy to follow, even for beginner cooks. We provide step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to ensure successful results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies