• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pros and Cons of Using Merrill Lap Boards: What's Best for You?

In the back full length pocket, I put fundraiser and wedding registry info, and in the front I have a catalog, write-in order form, guest care card,and guest special info. (and right now, a flyer w/ gift ideas). I just cut the tri-fold PC sends us with the latest themes into 3 folders. Additional ones are $1 each (you cut into 3). They stay nice, have PC
KarensChefsClub
Gold Member
Does anyone have the lap boards from Merrill? How are they holding up? I am considering ordering them. I have been using nothing up to this point. I've been told about cutting up binders but I'm not sure they look as professional as I want to come across. Does anyone use anything else?

My local Family Dollar has clipboards that cost $1.00 each. I clip an order form and catalog and any other item I want them all to have to the board, and have them ready with a pen, as they arrive. One negative, they are heavy to haul and the metal clip projects out about 1 1/2", so not too many fit into the bags we have with the see through catalog panel. I have used red two pocket folders earlier but they begin to show wear and don't last indefinitely as the masonite clip boards do.

Target has $0.99 clipboards too.

I have the Merrill boards & really like them. I tell everyone at shows they are welcome to take everything but the board & they usually come back empty. I've also had MANY people tell me how much they like the look of the boards & how nice it is to have something solid to write on for orders. I put the back side of the host benefits flyer in the back of the board. I bought 24 boards & that's been enough for my shows.

I use Merrill's. I like the look of them! They are heavy, so I only bring 10 into the home and keep the rest in my car in case I need them.

Sam's has them 6 for 4 something I believe. I bought 18

AJPratt said:
I use Merrill's. I like the look of them! They are heavy, so I only bring 10 into the home and keep the rest in my car in case I need them.

I've been thinking of upgrading to Merrill's (I've made my own from binders).

Do the itemized order forms (they are SO big) fit okay in these boards?

KarensChefsClub said:
Does anyone have the lap boards from Merrill? How are they holding up? I am considering ordering them. I have been using nothing up to this point. I've been told about cutting up binders but I'm not sure they look as professional as I want to come across. Does anyone use anything else?

I just cut the tri-fold PC sends us with the latest themes into 3 folders. Additional ones are $1 each (you cut into 3). They stay nice, have PC logos and pictures all over. Hold a catalog, an order form, drawing slip. Guests love them & they look professional. I hold over the nice ones, toss the ones that look old. :)

I cut up binders. I have to say the Arbonne rep I did an open house with over the weekend was quite mpressed how neat everything looked, and even more so when I told her it was binders! Considering most ppl just use manila folders from my exp I think it looks very pro.

chefjeanine said:
I've been thinking of upgrading to Merrill's (I've made my own from binders).

Do the itemized order forms (they are SO big) fit okay in these boards?

I don't know about the itemized ones, but I use the write-ins & I have to take off the wish list to make them fit.

What is the name of the tri folers that come with the lastest thems ... I was looking to order them.. That is such a wonderful Idea. I tried the binder and I keep cutting them wrong. The tri f0ler would be much nicer

I think she means the Dine @Home Tri-fold theme folder?

The thing I like about the binders is that it shows that you don't have to spend a lot of money to do this business. You can get really nice PC logo stickers through Merril. I'm going to get the binders and put the stickers on them so they look a bit more "official".

The ones at Sams - are they like Merrils?

no they are just regular clip boards but I have never had anyone complain

I use binders that I have cut myself - I think they look professional....I have the PC logo sticker on them and a sticker from Nancy's "Gift Certificates Available". In the back full length pocket, I put fundraiser and wedding registry info, and in the front I have a catalog, write-in order form, guest care card,and guest special info. (and right now, a flyer w/ gift ideas). I bought the binders 2/$1.00 during back-to-school time, and get 2 lab boards from each binder, so for $5-$6 I have enough! (and they aren't heavy!)

I found some plain black ones online that are cheaper than the ones from Merrill... and I like the black better. I think they will be much more professional looking than the paper folders I have been using. And hopefully more organized, too!

I'll keep you posted on the quality when I get them.

(I got 20 for $40, by the way.)

Rachel

What do you all use for flyers on the PC lapboards and do you put a business card on them? I was just wondering what to put for a flyer?

These are what I have in mine. I have them each copied on a different bright color. Hope this helps! I also discovered the clear business card holders by avery that stick on the pocket!

Attachments

• Which Apron for cs.doc
    67 KB · Views: 378
  • Host Program Flyer for cs.doc
    29 KB · Views: 429
What does everyone have prepared on the lapboards as well waiting for the guests. A pen, name tag, catalog, order form....anything else?

from bottom to top:
flyers
order form
catalog w/ wish list post it note stuck on the front for notes
drawing slip
Business card in clear plastic thingy from avery on the pocket.
Then I just pass out a pen.

No order form? and did you get the wish list stickies from The booster.com?

I just got 12 lap board from Merrill. I love them! They look so much nicer then the folders I was using. I like how firmly things stay in them, but my favorite feature is the pen holder! I don't like to hassel w/a lot of things at my shows. I prefer to have everything ready so I can concentrate on the products/recipe. The folders I had were plastic which I put a PC sticker on the front of (I'm going to use these from host packets now).

I got lap boards too. I love them as well. I love saving money, but to me, these are a professional investment that make your business look nice. Everything can be set up, pen and all. My BF was very impressed with how professional they looked. They were something I planned on getting all along. With my compliance experience, First impressions are a must and to be prepared for your guest will have them booking you in a jiffy

ChefBeckyD said:
I use binders that I have cut myself - I think they look professional....I have the PC logo sticker on them and a sticker from Nancy's "Gift Certificates Available". In the back full length pocket, I put fundraiser and wedding registry info, and in the front I have a catalog, write-in order form, guest care card,and guest special info. (and right now, a flyer w/ gift ideas). I bought the binders 2/$1.00 during back-to-school time, and get 2 lab boards from each binder, so for $5-$6 I have enough! (and they aren't heavy!)
so you buy binders that have a pocket on the front and back as welll....not just on the inside?

I use binders also. My guests love them. I buy them during the school supply sale and put a pc sticker on the back side. The lap boards from merrill are way too costly.

I got the sticky notes from www.stickingtobusiness.com

It really helps the guests keep track while I'm talking and I point out that if they have a big list that their budget doesn't allow that evening they should consider hosting a show to get it for free.

Wow those are cool - but they are "out of stock :(!"

One of the most successful PC reps in our area uses -- Manilla File Folders! The one thing about this is, - it is easily duplicatable. Remember - Keep It Simple, Silly!

I will be selling some Town & Country Black w/ Gold logo lapboards I got, because they are too heavy, and they look almost "too" slick. I think the file folders are crisp and professional, and easy for someone else to imagine.

pampchefrhondab said:
Wow those are cool - but they are "out of stock :(!"

:(
I also got the corner stickers for my catalogs. They are way cool too!!!
That way my web info is right on the front. Also, when they ship, they always include some random stickers. Last they sent a couple sheets that said "Have a Pampered Day!" I've been using them when I mail hostess packets or receipts to my hostesses. Just stick 'em on the outside of the envelope.

I cut up binders and they look really good. I get the ones with the clear window on the back - I put the "Do You Love a Bargain" for the comng up months in that. The catalog and order form go in the pocket in the other side, and anything else you want to put. I got them for $1 apiece at Walmart and each binder makes 2 of course.

Can't get any more simple than from Merrills...All done and ready to go. I would say...save up and get these. They look professional and they are all done. It didint' get anymore simple than that for me. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!

I'm with scott on this one. I think the best thing is to keep it simple andd duplicatable.
I used to use manilla file folders because I had a bunch laying around but then one of my recruits went out and bought herself a giant box and said she didn't realize she didn't have to.
So I just set it up this way
Catalog with order form inside , pen in a bread crock on whatever table is nearby and I don't do flyers.
My next recruit does it the same way. She said my show seemed so easy and relaxed.
Now THAT"S a compliment :D

I keep my pens and business cards in my extra SA small bowls and caddy. I just like my lapboards because they are neat and keep everything together - and I can wipe them clean. I tried the manila folders but they kept bending and getting dirty. If they work for you, thats great! I definitely believe in keeping it simple1

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bunksc
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
TrudysOwn
  • winklermom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
Replies