• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cream Puffs: Tried Chilling Filling & Light Whipped Topping?

In summary, Mike prefers to fill cream puffs with french vanilla instant pudding for a tasty treat that doesn't liquify as fast as whipped cream. Julie Myers suggests chilling the filling before filling the puffs, while others suggest using the Chillzanne for transport and a mini muffin pan for easier preparation. When making them at a show, one should wipe the tip of the EAD with a paper towel after every 4-5 puffs to avoid mess.
Team Theme PuffsJust wanted to add, as one of my "themes," I do sports related shows so the food is inspired by some of our favorite times from down here on "Tobacco Row." I - along with a lot of the other teachers here at my school - are HUGE Carolina Tarheel fans, so last night I whipped up a batch of these, and tinted the whipped cream light blue. They were a total hit! It would work well for just about any other occassion - holidays, sports, HWC, etc.
Now I'm off to make some more (practice makes perfect) for tonight's tournament game. My husband is a Duke fan (huge rival), so we'll see how he likes tonight's UNC-ish dessert!

y'all inspired meto try this recipe and my family really liked it! I tried vanilla pudding and then put them in the fridge before dinner and it seemed to absorb all the pudding, though. Did I not put enough filling in?

PuffsI made them Friday night for a show. I used pistachio pudding with 1 1/4 cups of milk. I combined that and added it to cool whip. They came out excellent.

Thank you for the phonetic...LOL;) these are the best things to bring with you to a show.....I think on my 4th show, I will demonstrate them, but all the good ideas....I'm doing St. Pattys party Friday night and I think I will do the pistachio pudding and then maybe white frosting tinted green to drizzle on......OR maybe dye the dough green....LOL.....

Such an easy recipe with so many variations for ANY Time of the year.....

I love this job.....I'm in Real Estate, and I LOVE the money there, :eek: but this is WAY MORE FUN.....:D

I've made these twice now; once for a meeting and then at a show. Both times I've made them differently. I always have more than 18 made from one recipe and make the hole on the side of the puff to fill, not the bottom.

For the meeting, I made them completely (choc and nuts, included) the night before and placed them on a tray and then in the freezer. Just before leaving for my meeting the next day, I placed them in the Chillzanne Sectional Server with a Pineapple stalk in the center bowl for decoration. They defrosted on my way to the meeting (15-20 min). No one could tell they had been frozen the night before.

For a show, To save time, because I was making something else, also. I made the puffs pastry in advance (un-filled). I also filled a plastic sandwich bag with chocolate frosting and a Twixit clip to seal it. I took them to a show and finished preparing the puffs during the show. A guest requested to use the Food Chopper as soon as I arrived, to chop the nuts! Of course I said "yes". I then piped the chocolate on, that I had sitting in the Measure-All Cup with hot water to keep the chocolate softened. I then dipped the puffs into the nuts, instead of sprinkling them on. They loved them!
I even had another show booked from that show and she requested the puffs at her show!

Pudding filling and coloring for St. Pattys DayWell, after the wonderful suggestions, I tried the puffs for the 3rd time and did te vanilla pudding and tinted it green for the filling, delicious...and used white frosting, melted and tinted green and they where GREAT....they didn't last long that is for sure....
I baked them and stuffed them asap and then put them in the freezer.....they are the best thing I've ever tried, the kids like them, the hubby, everyone....so that will be a monthly treat. Colored to the holiday of the time frame.

Look for the different suggestions and TRY them.....there was one with I think it is whipping cream and sour cream....check it out....

intimidated...me tooI've been intimidated by these too and sure can't wait to make them :) I'm actually intimidated by everything, I"ve tried rolling out the pizza/bread doughs and have all kinds of trouble :( how can that be so difficult. The strawberry tuxedo's look more my speed!! LOL I don't have a double broiler yet though.

its_me_susan said:
Oh good! lol. Thanks for the clarification. I want to make these - but need to get used to the idea for a while first... Not sure why this one intimidates me a little ~ the demo tapes look easy.

Everything seemed intimidating to me too at first, but just practice at home a lot and you won't feel like that as much - plus if you try lots of PC recipes, you can write off almost your entire grocery bill feeding your family every night 'cuz you are "perfecting" the recipes. :) As far as the strawberries go, I actually use my batter bowl in the microwave to felt chocolate - that way I KNOW it won't seize up on me since its no where near water. I made the tuxedo strawberries for my brother-in-law's wedding and everyone was so impressed when actually it was very easy, just time consuming - but I did TONS of them...

n8vtxn said:
Everything seemed intimidating to me too at first, but just practice at home a lot and you won't feel like that as much - plus if you try lots of PC recipes, you can write off almost your entire grocery bill feeding your family every night 'cuz you are "perfecting" the recipes. :) As far as the strawberries go, I actually use my batter bowl in the microwave to felt chocolate - that way I KNOW it won't seize up on me since its no where near water. I made the tuxedo strawberries for my brother-in-law's wedding and everyone was so impressed when actually it was very easy, just time consuming - but I did TONS of them...
Thanks;
R U a Native Txan??

Chef Kearns said:
Susan--not sure about the tic tac toe game (I have an idea, but not positive) About the puffs...you have to poke them after they come out of the oven to release the steam. So it needs to be done before you put the filling in them.

If you are going to fill them later on, do you still need to poke them/release the steam?

Kelley Sells said:
Well, after the wonderful suggestions, I tried the puffs for the 3rd time and did te vanilla pudding and tinted it green for the filling, delicious...and used white frosting, melted and tinted green and they where GREAT....they didn't last long that is for sure....
I baked them and stuffed them asap and then put them in the freezer.....they are the best thing I've ever tried, the kids like them, the hubby, everyone....so that will be a monthly treat. Colored to the holiday of the time frame.

Look for the different suggestions and TRY them.....there was one with I think it is whipping cream and sour cream....check it out....

Why are are you all putting them in the freezer overnight - do they really lose something in the fridge overnight?

Why am I so chicken to try these ~I just need to try these don't I. Do you all like the whipped cream or pudding best?

Improvisions??
its_me_susan said:
If you are going to fill them later on, do you still need to poke them/release the steam?

I don't have the easy accent, yet, so what do you poke the profiteroles SP? with and I can improvise thanks in advance.

liz

Soothenrelax said:
I don't have the easy accent, yet, so what do you poke the profiteroles SP? with and I can improvise thanks in advance.

liz
You poke them with a knife. The easiest thing is to use either the utility knife or the quikut paring knife. Pierce the puffs to pick them up and move them onto the cooling rack.

Note: I NEVER use the quikut knife at a show except if I'm doing a delicate garnish - I show the GOOD knives. ;)

Here's a way to do the puffs if you don't have an EAD:

Use puff pastry and cut them with a 3 inch cookie cutter (the kids cutters or the bread tube work great), cut into squares, or make mini puffs with the creative cutters but WATCH them - they cook much quicker if they're small. Bake them on a stone, cool, slice in half and fill with the cream or pudding. Then decorate as directed. Much like the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries...

GET AN EAD!!! Half price in supply order form! You will be so glad you did!!!

ead :)Beth:

I'm waiting on a check this week and I saw the EAD on the paper supplies order and that is my next thing to get :) that's for sure.

Thanks for the explainations. I sort of have a difficult time picturing / visualizing until I've actually seen the things or see pics. But the way you've mentioned kinds sounds what I could figure out :)

I have the Super Starter kit, and now the rice cooker plus, figured I'd start real easy!!!! :)

I think I have the bread tube you're referring to, so I'll have to give that a try as well.

I've procrastinated long enough so I am bound and determined to do these, besides my co-worker's are expecting them tomorrow too!!!!

BethCooks4U said:
You poke them with a knife. The easiest thing is to use either the utility knife or the quikut paring knife. Pierce the puffs to pick them up and move them onto the cooling rack.

Note: I NEVER use the quikut knife at a show except if I'm doing a delicate garnish - I show the GOOD knives. ;)

Here's a way to do the puffs if you don't have an EAD:

Use puff pastry and cut them with a 3 inch cookie cutter (the kids cutters or the bread tube work great), cut into squares, or make mini puffs with the creative cutters but WATCH them - they cook much quicker if they're small. Bake them on a stone, cool, slice in half and fill with the cream or pudding. Then decorate as directed. Much like the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries...

GET AN EAD!!! Half price in supply order form! You will be so glad you did!!!

I have 2 questions and one ah-ha idea!

Questions: does the pudding hold up better (you know, biting without the squirt)?

what size box are you putting into the mix (of the pudding and the cool whip) and how much milk?

I have to make "teacher appreciation treats" for school. I am thinking of doing this recipe for them. My only concern is they might sit out a bit and what would this do to the filling? Any suggestions? I have to split them among 3 different teacher lounges so I don't have enough "chillzannes" for the job.

Lastly, if you are going to tint the filling... how about using white chocolate on top with tinted colors (like pink for HWC)...? Do you think that would work?:) :)

Ok, I am hungry now... bye!

re: puffsYou can freeze these in regular freezer.

Shereda said:
I have 2 questions and one ah-ha idea!

Questions: does the pudding hold up better (you know, biting without the squirt)?

what size box are you putting into the mix (of the pudding and the cool whip) and how much milk?

I have to make "teacher appreciation treats" for school. I am thinking of doing this recipe for them. My only concern is they might sit out a bit and what would this do to the filling? Any suggestions? I have to split them among 3 different teacher lounges so I don't have enough "chillzannes" for the job.

Lastly, if you are going to tint the filling... how about using white chocolate on top with tinted colors (like pink for HWC)...? Do you think that would work?:) :)

Ok, I am hungry now... bye!

have made them 6 or 7 times already!!! I use 3/4 cups powdered sugar when using lite cool whip! I froze them and they are awesome! I've used the different flavored cool whips...strawberry, chocolate, etc! I have made a batch up and taken them to my show and then just fill them in front of guests as a second recipe while my other is baking!!! I mix up the filling ahead of time sometimes and bring it in the batter bowl!! They love them and they get the idea of how easy they are to mix up!!! I keep them in the muffin pan to take to show and then just fill them there.

Although I don't yet have my kit yet! I practiced making them for my first show at home and they turned out great! My director that recently did a show at my house brought the puffs still in the muffin pan. Then at the party she filled them and drizzled the chocolate. This made the easier to transport!
Wow are they easy and good!

The recipe calls for mounded scoops, but I noticed that if you barely fill the small scoop, then the bites are smaller, and you don't have to "bite into" them, just pop them into your mouth. Just what we thought, maybe if they weren't so "big" they wouldn't squirt..IMO... They were so easy and so good.. I couldn't believe it!!! Love Pampered Chef!!:) :)

puffsI have yet to make them, but others have done instant pudding and different variations. I went to a show my Director did last night and she made them and they were delicious!!!

Soothenrelax said:
You can freeze these in regular freezer.

I need to make a BUNCH of these...for a party I am going to. Do they HAVE to be done in the little mini muffin pans, or is there some other way to do it, like aluminum muffin liners? Or even just on a bar pan?

PuffsI like to use the cool whip and 1 small package of pudding. I whisk the pudding with 1 1/4 milk and then I fold in the cool whip. They are out of this world....

puffsI just read a whole feature article in our paper on cream puffs! They say you can scoop the dough onto a baking sheet (stone of course) and it will puff up right there....this is how they used to make them...and even larger if you want. I haven't tried them bigger or on a bar pan or flat stone yet.

I'm almost sure you need something like the mini muffin tins, cuz thats what makes their shape. You know they freeze really well.;)

The base dough for our Profiterole Puffs is a pate choux. It's the same dough used for making eclairs and cream puffs. Profiteroles are simply a smaller version of cream puffs. To that end, no, a muffin tin isn't really necessary, but it does make a convenient transportation vessel to and from the oven. :)

I've made these a few times now and I agree that they're just awesome. Such a simple way to impress! ;)

The dough "shells", for lack of a better word, are great for housing sandwich salads/pastes like tuna or chicken salad, too. How awesome is that for a party tray! :D

agw said:
The dough "shells", for lack of a better word, are great for housing sandwich salads/pastes like tuna or chicken salad, too. How awesome is that for a party tray! :D

Do you really fill them with these types of SALADS?!!! Wow! Using the EAD???? I am getting excited. Do you have a special recipe? Thinking these would be great for tea party sandwiches for my Brownie Troop's end of year party.

Ginger428 said:
I'm almost sure you need something like the mini muffin tins, cuz thats what makes their shape. You know they freeze really well.;)

Freeze well unfilled? Just in a ziploc plastic bag? Any idea of how long?

(thinking here)

karlene said:
I just read a whole feature article in our paper on cream puffs! They say you can scoop the dough onto a baking sheet (stone of course) and it will puff up right there....this is how they used to make them...and even larger if you want. I haven't tried them bigger or on a bar pan or flat stone yet.

Did they give you different filling recipes? :)

amybee said:
I like to use the cool whip and 1 small package of pudding. I whisk the pudding with 1 1/4 milk and then I fold in the cool whip. They are out of this world....

An entire tub of cool whip?

Ok, I admit I have still not tried these.... but am getting closer than ever to doing so.

You have to try them

i was wanting to make them last night but didnt have all the ingrediants. it really irks me when you are missing one ingrediant and the grocery store is closed!!! hopefully next week i wll finally get the chance.

i was a professional cook for years, made soups,salads,roasts, etc..., but give me something that needs flour, butter & water & I'm a MESS....but these things looked soooooooo good, so I gave them a try & on my 1st shot they came out perfect:D :D :D

Ginger428 said:
i was a professional cook for years, made soups,salads,roasts, etc..., but give me something that needs flour, butter & water & I'm a MESS....but these things looked soooooooo good, so I gave them a try & on my 1st shot they came out perfect:D :D :D

THANK YOU Ginger! I think I just will go for it! :) Stay tuned (have you frozen them? I need tips ~ not practiced on the art of freezing delicacies.

YES,,,i did freeze them, & the Pecan Tassies....they both came out GREAT!!
You know the stuff called press & seal??? well I took a piece of that put all the tassies on it & then another piece over the top of them & sealed them up...put them right in the freezer. Had them in there almost a week, I just didnt put the powdered sugar on them till they were defrosted. The puffs I also froze ( with the filling ) The guests started eating them before they were defrosted!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

its_me_susan said:
Do you really fill them with these types of SALADS?!!! Wow! Using the EAD???? I am getting excited. Do you have a special recipe? Thinking these would be great for tea party sandwiches for my Brownie Troop's end of year party.

If the "salad" is of a smooth, more paste-like texture, then I would think the EAD would still work alright. I haven't tried it yet myself, to be honest. I have, however just split the tops of the puffs and added filling with a spoon. They eat just fine, and with a little bit of creative garnish, I'm sure they'll look great too! And, no, no specific or special recipe, just what I always do. (ie tuna and mayo with whatever suits me at the time.) :)

Try one of the pastry shells unfilled. It will give you a better idea of might or might not pair well with it. My opinion after tasting an unfilled puff was that they'd go great with savory as well as sweet flavors. So far so good! :)

A consultant I know didn't have the DMMP so she just scooped them out on her pizza stone and they cooked up just fine. They kept their shape as well. She did mentioned that they were sliding all over the place and almost landed on the floor when she was bringing them out of the oven so for those of you who make them with out the DMMP, watch for that! :)

So then the Bar pan, deep dish baker or any of the large bakers would be fine!

LadiesFor those of you adding pudding to the whipped topping, please elaborate. Do you still use the full 8oz of whipped topping? Do you add milk? I've looked back at the tiramisu brownie recipe and pudding, milk, and whipped topping are all used. I'm just not sure if adding milk it necessary, will the filling be too thick without it?Thanks

The sugar free vanilla pudding is great for those who don't or can't eat sugar. It seems like I have been running into a lot of diabetics at my shows and they seem to love a dessert that they can actually eat.

Profiterole Puffs with slight lemon tasteI've tried using a little lemon juice in the whipped topping mixture and it worked well. Also, it has a nice lemony taste to it and guests go oohs.... and ahh...! The lemon juice mixture with whipped topping will thicken up and it never squitting out when bit on it. I filled each puffs with the filling and left in the refrigerator to chill for 1/2 hour or more before serving. I put the mini puffs in the Chillzanne Rectangular Server and they stayed chilled for hours! This is one of my favorite and it's so easy to make even though it can be time comsuming on the puffs alone. Have the puffs ready prepared and make the filling at the demo. I do suggest chilled the filling for 15 minutes then while waiting, you can tell the guests about the EAD & chillzanne server. :)

me and my DH made these last night!! i was excited because i was so intimidated by them but they came out perfect!! we have all been snacking on them today..t.hey are addictive!! i cant wait to get a show and make them!

For those who have used pudding to fill them, have you frozen these?

I saw the freezing instructions, but am not sure if that is with the filling. What's everyone think? Have you frozen without the filling to fill then?

I tore some ligaments in my ankle on Monday, but am able to walk a little with my brace.... I am GOING to try these today! But want to freeze to use in April 5th party.

Thank you!

I froze mine with the pudding in them...it took about 20-30 minutes for them to dethaw enough to eat.

amybee said:
I like to use the cool whip and 1 small package of pudding. I whisk the pudding with 1 1/4 milk and then I fold in the cool whip. They are out of this world....

Oh YUM-Meeeeeeee! I did it! So easy! Did one batch after another of the puffs. One filling recipe was more than enough for the 60! I just froze some... the rest I put in the fridge for tonight. ???? How far ahead did you guys do them? Did you put in the refridgerator?

????I just made 2 batches of the puffs. But I didn't fill them. I was wondering what all of you do or would do so that they would stay until saturday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • pcjulie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies