• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prevent Lettuce Browning: Color Coated Knives

In summary, a metal knife is needed to keep lettuce from turning brown, but a pink HWC knife does the same job. The coating on the knife is to prevent oxidation.
Paige Dixon
Anyone know if these keep lettuce from turning brown?

I would strongly doubt it... they are metal knives. My understanding is you have to have a nylon (or maybe plastic?) knife to keep the lettuce from turning brown.

No, but the pink HWC knife does...

I understand the salad choppers is coated so they won't turn brown. I'll suggest those.

Paige Dixon said:
I understand the salad choppers is coated so they won't turn brown. I'll suggest those.

Really? I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday! ;)

Paige Dixon said:

With what?

That's a technical question that I can't answer. I wonder if it says on the use & care card?

Anyone know? This would be GREAT info. to have. I felt kind of silly pushing the HWC nylon knife b/c it would'nt turn lettuce brown, and then turn around and tell everyone to chop lettuce with the METAL salad chopper.

I heard it from a director on my team. She rattled it off so fast, I only remember the benefit, not the feature of the product. I'll bet she knows the technical name for what it's coated with.

I don't think the coating is to stop oxidation....here's what the PIG saysFeatures & Benefits: Unique tool easily chops salad fixings directly in a bowl. Salad Chopper has titanium-coated
stainless blades for unmatched sharpness. Hollowed recesses, called grantons, help keep ingredients from sticking to the
blades. Spring-loaded design and soft grip handle keep hands from tiring during repetitive cutting. Handle lock provides
safe and convenient storage.

The note in that use and care about the blades being really sharp is a clue. The sharper the (metal) blade you use to cut lettuce, the longer it will take to go brown. A sharp blade doesn't do as much damage to the surrounding cells.

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

chefann said:
The note in that use and care about the blades being really sharp is a clue. The sharper the (metal) blade you use to cut lettuce, the longer it will take to go brown. A sharp blade doesn't do as much damage to the surrounding cells.

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

And we SO APPRECIATE all those useless facts!
:)

Related to Prevent Lettuce Browning: Color Coated Knives

1. How do color coated knives prevent lettuce browning?

Color coated knives prevent lettuce browning by reducing the amount of oxygen that comes into contact with the lettuce. When lettuce is cut, it releases enzymes that react with oxygen, causing the browning process. The color coating on the knife creates a barrier between the lettuce and the oxygen, slowing down the browning process.

2. Do color coated knives work for all types of lettuce?

Yes, color coated knives work for all types of lettuce as the browning process is caused by the same reaction in all types of lettuce. However, some varieties of lettuce may be more prone to browning due to a higher concentration of enzymes.

3. How long does the lettuce stay fresh when cut with a color coated knife?

The lettuce will stay fresh for a longer period when cut with a color coated knife compared to a regular knife. However, the exact duration depends on various factors such as the type of lettuce, storage conditions, and how well the lettuce was cleaned and dried before cutting.

4. Can I use any color coated knife to prevent lettuce browning?

No, not all color coated knives are designed specifically for preventing lettuce browning. It is essential to choose a knife with a food-safe coating that is specifically marketed for cutting lettuce and other vegetables. Using a regular knife with a colored coating may not have the same effect.

5. Are there any other methods for preventing lettuce browning?

Yes, there are other methods for preventing lettuce browning, such as storing the lettuce in an airtight container, adding lemon juice or vinegar to the lettuce, or using a salad spinner to remove excess moisture before storing. However, using color coated knives is a simple and effective method that does not alter the taste of the lettuce.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • byrd1956
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • maddy123
  • Products and Tips
Replies