• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Storing Lettuce After Spinning: Tips for a Healthy Diet

In summary, the Spinner is great for storing lettuce, but it's also good to have a bag or bowl lined with paper towel in case it gets dry. Cutting the lettuce with a nylon knife will keep it from turning brown.
Kathytnt
I love the Spinner but it is kind of large - I know you can store lettuce in it but it takes up too much room in our fridge. I am trying to start my diet again so hopfeully there will always be lots of healthy food in the fridge. I used to buy bagged lettuce all the time. What do you suggest for storing lettuce after the spinning??

And does the lemon/lime juice after cutting work to keep it fresh longer??

Lemon or lime juice will make your lettuce soggy.

My suggestion is to wrap it in paper towel and place it in a pastic bag.

I though someone posted on here that it would keep cut lettuce from getting brown

I am looking forward to getting my salad chopper

The acid breaks the lettuce down. That's why salad with the dressing doesn't keep very well.

I'm thinking about fairly strong juice, though. Maybe they were talking about aciduated water--water with a bit of lemon juice added.

BTW, you'll love the Salad Chopper.

If you use the spinner, it gets the lettuce dry enough that it will last nearly forever in the fridge. But if you want a little extra insurance, put it in a bag or bowl that's lined with a paper towel.

Cutting lettuce with the nylon knife (the pink HWC one) will keep it from turning brown.

I always spin my lettuce and then roll it up in a paper towel then put it in a plastic zip bag - it lasts a good long time that way.

Lemon juice- keeps apples from turning brown

I bought a head of iceberg on Friday, cut it with the pink nylon knife on Saturday, washed it and spun it dry, packed it into two large ziplock bags, and we've been using it ever since, it's fine so far and a whole lot cheaper at $1.09 a head versus $3 a bag for the prebagged stuff.

This is a late response, but I have bought and love Evert-Fresh Green Bags... they are in the produce section of the grocery store.

With greens, you wash and put them in the bag, and kind of roll it up to push out as much air as you can. They are washable and reusable, too.

I just realize now with my Spinner that I am going to save so much money on lettuce! The head lettuce that goes through the spinner with a paper towel and a bog stays fresh for so long. Bagged lettuce gets nasty quickly just a few days after opening

Kathytnt said:
I just realize now with my Spinner that I am going to save so much money on lettuce! The head lettuce that goes through the spinner with a paper towel and a bog stays fresh for so long. Bagged lettuce gets nasty quickly just a few days after opening

That's because it's pretty old by the time it even hits the store shelves!

1. How long can I store lettuce after spinning?

It is recommended to store lettuce for no more than 3-4 days after spinning. After this time, the lettuce may start to wilt and lose its freshness. It is best to consume the lettuce as soon as possible for optimal taste and nutrition.

2. What is the best way to store lettuce after spinning?

The best way to store lettuce after spinning is to place it in an airtight container or bag and store it in the refrigerator. It is important to remove any excess moisture from the lettuce before storing to prevent it from becoming soggy.

3. Can I freeze lettuce after spinning?

No, it is not recommended to freeze lettuce after spinning. Freezing can cause the lettuce to become mushy and lose its crispness and flavor.

4. How can I keep my lettuce fresh after spinning?

To keep your lettuce fresh after spinning, make sure to store it in a cool and dry place. Keep it away from direct sunlight or sources of heat. You can also place a damp paper towel over the lettuce to help retain its moisture.

5. Can I use a salad spinner to store lettuce after spinning?

No, a salad spinner is not designed for storing lettuce. It is best to transfer the lettuce to an airtight container or bag after spinning for proper storage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
  • Deb Bixler
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • twinkie10