• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preparing for the GMAT Test: Tips for MBA Applicants

In summary, you should try to get accepted into your MBA program by December 1st. You should prepare for the GMAT test by doing some research on the internet, and by taking practice tests. You do not need to pay for test prep.
jenniferknapp
Gold Member
Hi everyone! I am looking for a little insight on preparing the the GMAT test, which I need to take to be accepted in to a MBA program... I am hoping to get accepted into the by Dec 1, the deadline for the Spring semester. Is that even possible? How long do I need to prepare for this test? Should I pay for any test prepping? Thanks :)

jenniferknapp said:
Hi everyone! I am looking for a little insight on preparing the the GMAT test, which I need to take to be accepted in to a MBA program... I am hoping to get accepted into the by Dec 1, the deadline for the Spring semester. Is that even possible? How long do I need to prepare for this test? Should I pay for any test prepping? Thanks :)
What is the GMAT test?

I didn't have to take it because I first started my Master's Degree where I had my undergrad so that wasn't a requirement, then 7 years later when I went to finish at another school they waived it because I was 1/3 of the way done with my Master's Degree.

That being said, I wouldn't "pay" for too much, I've heard it really isn't that bad! Check with Alison - I think she might have taken it recently.

It is a general knowledge test, not a specific field test so it shouldn't be bad.

Try this site for information: Take the GMAT

Basically, I found my Master's A BREEZE when I finished and that was with a newborn, a 2 1/2 year old, working full-time, Fire Dept., etc. I feel at the Master's level, it is less about the intellectual exercise and more about common sense and real life. If you've been working for a few years, have a good head on your shoulders and use common sense in your daily life and with PC, I'm sure you'll do GREAT!

Good luck!

chefkristin said:
What is the GMAT test?

Graduate Management Admission Test

Required by most colleges to get into a Master's Program - unless you had the situations I had.

Thanks :) I think that I am going to stop PC while I do my Masters....because I work FT, plus do web design on the side, and seem to have a busy social life because I have a HUGE family! And the best part is that I work for a state college, so they will give me a tuition waiver for classes I take (I think one a semester....but I could be wrong!)

I would so miss that smiling face on CS but this would be an awesome accomplishment for you. You go girl!!

jenniferknapp said:
Thanks :) I think that I am going to stop PC while I do my Masters....because I work FT, plus do web design on the side, and seem to have a busy social life because I have a HUGE family! And the best part is that I work for a state college, so they will give me a tuition waiver for classes I take (I think one a semester....but I could be wrong!)

Keep an open mind with PC, you might be able to still do it a little or as a break...just think - one decent catalog show every other month will keep you active...and you could apply for a waiver during the busy time (plan it around your thesis). Are you planning on the program PT? How many classes at a time?

I did 2 classes/per semester year-round so 6 total semesters - took me 2 years. (2-3 semesters I had only 1 class due to some transfers - I lost the rest of my classes due to that 7 year time limit at the Master's level).

If you start, go all the way for it if you can and finish. It took me a decade to get mine done with life and no schools close by.

Aww thanks! I know that I need to get it done, I've been in this position for a year and a half now at the college, but I see some shifting coming up, and I think it would greatly benefit me to be at least working towards my masters! I will only start with 1 class a semester....and try to do fall/spring/summer...which would take me 5 years, only because I've never taken on online class, or any of these classes at the undergrad level! (I have a BS in computer art) ....but I am hoping that I will find I can handle maybe 2-3 classes at a time so that I can get it finished earlier...we'll see!I would miss all of you as well, but I def think that somethings gotta give to make more time, and it is PC...I built my kitchen, and stuck with it for a year! Of course I want to continue through September to get my cookware.....and then I would be done! :) :( ....someday I would definitely do it again though, and I would of course pop in and out of Chef Success to get tips and see what is going on in the PC world!

jenniferknapp said:
Aww thanks! I know that I need to get it done, I've been in this position for a year and a half now at the college, but I see some shifting coming up, and I think it would greatly benefit me to be at least working towards my masters! I will only start with 1 class a semester....and try to do fall/spring/summer...which would take me 5 years, only because I've never taken on online class, or any of these classes at the undergrad level! (I have a BS in computer art) ....but I am hoping that I will find I can handle maybe 2-3 classes at a time so that I can get it finished earlier...we'll see!

I would miss all of you as well, but I def think that somethings gotta give to make more time, and it is PC...I built my kitchen, and stuck with it for a year! Of course I want to continue through September to get my cookware.....and then I would be done! :) :( ....someday I would definitely do it again though, and I would of course pop in and out of Chef Success to get tips and see what is going on in the PC world!

Just remember all the wonderful people you can resign with in a few years if your current upline doesn't work out. ;) :p

By the way, you can still pop in here and see what's up and let us know how you're doing. You don't HAVE to be a consultant, just pay $5. You can be an honorary consultant like Grande. :D

janetupnorth said:
Keep an open mind with PC, you might be able to still do it a little or as a break...just think - one decent catalog show every other month will keep you active...and you could apply for a waiver during the busy time (plan it around your thesis). Are you planning on the program PT? How many classes at a time?

I thought about that, but I offer catalog shows all over, and everyone around here wants to have cooking shows so that they have a reason to get together with the friends! And also, I am the type of person that needs to send out newsletters, etc....so if I was going to stick with it, I'd end up doing just as much as I do now, and that is just too much time!

I took the GRE... I'm assuming that's something like the GMAT? Anyway, I didn't do any test prep for it. I just took it, and I did well enough to get into grad school.

I just finished my master's this past spring! It took me a 7 years to finish it due to the fact I moved from Kentucky (where my uni was located) to England and then to Japan. My uni didn't offer very many online classes, so I actually had to finish my last two classes with special permission from the professors.

I'd say it wasn't that difficult. Mine was a lot of reading and writing, the usual I suppose. The worst part about mine was having an 18 month old and a newborn and a husband who was gone for about 6 weeks during my final two classes!!!

BTW, I have a master's in middle school education (math, English, and social studies), so I'm sure an MBA would be quite different!

I am happy to hear that these grad classes are more of "common sense" then knowing the subject.... because I have never taken 99.9% of these classes at the undergrad level!I def want to get at least a head start on it before I have kids....and if I am in a different living situation (Right now I am renting my house)....if I could depend on someone else I would possibly even take a leave of absence from my job to get 5 or so classes out of the way at one time!

jenniferknapp said:
I am happy to hear that these grad classes are more of "common sense" then knowing the subject.... because I have never taken 99.9% of these classes at the undergrad level!

I def want to get at least a head start on it before I have kids....and if I am in a different living situation (Right now I am renting my house)....if I could depend on someone else I would possibly even take a leave of absence from my job to get 5 or so classes out of the way at one time!

For a doctorate, I'd say you HAVE to take a "leave from life" so to speak. I think the key to the Master's is routine and setting time aside. If you are normally busy, you will do just fine fitting it in. I set aside a night a week for classes, one evening per week for schoolwork and then Saturdays for 2-3 hours during the kids naptimes. I seemed to have plenty of time to get things done. Just do things as you get them, don't fall behind and you'll be fine!

angmillar said:
I took the GRE... I'm assuming that's something like the GMAT? Anyway, I didn't do any test prep for it. I just took it, and I did well enough to get into grad school.

I just finished my master's this past spring! It took me a 7 years to finish it due to the fact I moved from Kentucky (where my uni was located) to England and then to Japan. My uni didn't offer very many online classes, so I actually had to finish my last two classes with special permission from the professors.

I'd say it wasn't that difficult. Mine was a lot of reading and writing, the usual I suppose. The worst part about mine was having an 18 month old and a newborn and a husband who was gone for about 6 weeks during my final two classes!!!

Sounds similar!!!! Congratulations on finishing!

I finished mine in Technology Management in Aug, 2006.

just a bump in case anyone else may have some insight for me :)

...just an update, I scheduled me GMAT for November 5, with the hopes to do well enough on it the first time ($250 to take the test, ouch!) so that I can apply for admission into the program by December 1, with an anticipated start date of Jan '08! And then 5 years down the road, I should have an MBA :)

I think it depends on how you rate your own test-taking skills, and ability to self-study...

I took the GMAT, GRE, and CBEST all in my senior year of college. I was admitted to MBA programs at both universities that I studied at with my scores -- don't ask me what they were, lol. It was different back then, with the manual bubble in the dot stuff... nowadays it's all computer based and instant scoring, I think.

I did self-study for my series 7 (stockbroker's license) and passed on the first try - and that was with an infant and a full time job. I just set aside time as I had it, and then really kicked into gear a couple hours every night as the date drew near... I'm sure you can do it! Good luck!

1. What is the GMAT test and why is it important for MBA admissions?

The GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) is a standardized exam used by business schools around the world to assess applicants' readiness for graduate-level management education. It measures skills in areas such as analytical writing, quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, and integrated reasoning. A high score on the GMAT can strengthen an MBA application and demonstrate an individual's potential for success in a graduate business program.

2. How is the GMAT test structured and how long does it take to complete?

The GMAT test consists of four sections: Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Verbal Reasoning. The total testing time is 3 hours and 7 minutes, with an optional 8-minute break between sections 2 and 3. The Analytical Writing Assessment and Integrated Reasoning sections are each 30 minutes long, while the Quantitative and Verbal sections are 62 minutes each.

3. What is a good score on the GMAT and how is it scored?

The GMAT is scored on a scale of 200-800, with the majority of test-takers scoring between 400-600. A good score is typically considered to be above 650, with scores above 700 considered excellent. Each section is scored separately, and the total score is a combination of the scores from the Quantitative and Verbal sections. The Analytical Writing and Integrated Reasoning sections are scored on a separate scale.

4. How often can I take the GMAT and what is the cost?

The GMAT can be taken up to five times in a 12-month period, with a maximum of eight attempts overall. There must be at least 16 days between each attempt. The cost to take the GMAT is currently $250 USD, but this may vary depending on location.

5. Are there any tips for preparing for the GMAT?

Some tips for preparing for the GMAT include familiarizing yourself with the exam format and content, practicing with official GMAT study materials, and taking practice tests to identify areas of weakness. It may also be helpful to invest in a GMAT prep course or work with a tutor to develop a personalized study plan. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and stay calm on test day to perform your best.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jenniferknapp
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • jenniferknapp
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Jilleysue