• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Please Help -- Deaf Consultants????

In summary, the recruiter has a recruit lead who is deaf and the daughter can speak. The daughter is excited about the opportunity and the recruiter is clueless about where to begin. The expert recommends contacting home office for information.
janezapchef
Gold Member
I have a recruit lead who is actually a father/daughter team who are both deaf. They can read lips and sign. The daughter can speak. Any tips???????
They are really excited about the opportunity! I know I've seen deaf consultants cross stage at conference for TPC (they have signed while up there, at least), so, I know it can be done, but I'm clueless where to begin! Please help!

You might want to contact home office for some information. I've seen people signing at Leadership conference and National Conference so there are hearing impaired people in this business. I'm betting they can put you in touch with someone who will be able to give you some insight.

Good luck with your new (potential) recruits!!!!

I have a girl on my team who is deaf and another person who is supposed to be signing as well. PM me and I can get you in touch with a US consultant that's been helping her out.

I just did a show and someone there was deaf. And now I have another show coming up that will have all deaf people at it.

I would be honest with them and just ask if they have any questions or concerns. HO should be able to help and I would definately PM WINNIPEGK and get some guidance. Congrats on the recruit lead and for offering the opportunity to EVERYONE!

Only thing that I can see being an issue is the telephone ... stress in-person contact to them (and model by meeting with them personally) and they should be fine.

There's so much they can do via email/website now that we used to only be able to do via telephone! They probably have their phones enabled for the teleprompter service anyway, so i don't see that being a problem. The main thing is going to be tips for live kitchen shows with hearing audiences since they won't hear a question if they aren't looking! But that's easy to overcome as long as they have a strategy/plan and advise hearing guests up front on how the show will go (how to get attention to ask a question, etc).

I'm bumping this up because there is a need for it again. The original person didn't end up signing, but there is a new consultant on my hospitality cluster who is deaf. My hosp. director has asked for any and all help! HO was not helpful, apparently!

My brother is deaf, and he actually calls me on the phone, using video relay- He calls a relay service, and signs into the camera on his computer, and the woman woirking with relay, will speak to me, and I speak back, and then she signs into the camera, and he sees it on his computer- It is incredible how far they have come. He is 45 now, and years ago, we had to use the TDD machine, now it is much easier, and no time delay, it is an instant conversation.

Wow! That's amazing, Sue! I'll definitely pass that one along! Thanks!

Bumping.....

I'm bumping this because I have a recruit lead from a fair who is deaf. She wrote "text only" on her cel phone number but gave another number, I don't know whether I should call it or just send a text offering to meet in person. Since I didn't talk to her, I don't know if she can talk and read lips. Maybe I can bring the DVD and we can put the subtitles on!

The deaf are used to finding other ways to communicate. I wouldn't worry about it. Ask what works best for her and assure her that others have sucessfully run their PC businesses. If she needs assistance HO will be able to help her. Don't assume she'll have problems.

Thanks ... I will call her this week. Another possible recruit lead was pushed up to my booth in a wheelchair. I had to be diplomatic and politely asked her if she could walk, and she said yes. (It was a HUGE street fair spanning several blocks.) When she said yes, I said, "OK, I just had to ask, because not everybody's home is accessible. But if that was an issue, we'd find ways around it so it's OK."

I am glad to see this thread, and that HO provides support. I used to know a really successful deaf MK consultant (and he was a man. Really focused on the skin care aspects, had many male and female clients)
One of the great things about people who come from other subcultures (whether based on physical ability, religion, culture of origin, is that they can make our products accessible to those we might never meet. For instance, a deaf person who reads lips may feel fine working with you, but can also work with those who are not comfortable with the hearing community

BlueMoon said:
I am glad to see this thread, and that HO provides support. I used to know a really successful deaf MK consultant (and he was a man. Really focused on the skin care aspects, had many male and female clients)
One of the great things about people who come from other subcultures (whether based on physical ability, religion, culture of origin, is that they can make our products accessible to those we might never meet. For instance, a deaf person who reads lips may feel fine working with you, but can also work with those who are not comfortable with the hearing community

Right. We make a big deal and worry about people who are different and how they'd manage but what we don't realize is that they deal with their differences on a daily basis and already know what to do. If they are talking about it they have thought about it. It's our job to answer their questions and honestly tell them how it works.

Someone can't lift? What do they do now when they have something they need to carry? Someone can't drive? How do they get where they need to be? Someone can't hear? How do they communicate now? If they want it they can make it work. Don't put your own limitations on others.

1. Can I communicate with a deaf consultant?

Yes, absolutely! Our deaf consultants are trained in American Sign Language (ASL) and can communicate with you through written notes or a video relay service. We also have a dedicated customer service team that can assist with any questions or concerns.

2. How do I schedule a consultation with a deaf consultant?

You can schedule a consultation with a deaf consultant by contacting our customer service team through email or phone. Let them know that you would like to work with a deaf consultant and they will arrange the communication accommodations.

3. Will there be any additional costs for working with a deaf consultant?

No, there are no additional costs for working with a deaf consultant. Our consultants are trained professionals and are a part of our regular consultant team. They are available to assist with any of your needs at no extra charge.

4. Are there any special accommodations or equipment needed for a consultation with a deaf consultant?

Our deaf consultants are equipped with all the necessary communication tools, such as video relay services and written notes. However, if you have any specific accommodations or requests, please let our customer service team know and we will do our best to accommodate them.

5. Can I request a specific deaf consultant to work with?

Yes, you can request a specific deaf consultant to work with. Just let our customer service team know and we will do our best to assign that consultant to your consultation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sandilou
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Porchechef