• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Phyllo-Wrapped Asparagus W/Roasted Red Pepper Aioli

I think it was on this website...that you can also put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the dough before you cover it with the towel. That might work too. Thanks for the suggestions!
pampchefrhondab
Hey Everyone,

Has anyone tried this recipe? If so, what suggestions/hints do you have. How do they taste? I love asparagus.

I've worked w/phyllo dough a lot in the past making baklava so I should be okay w/working w/it.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Rhonda

It's very good! I had never worked with phyllo dough and didn't thaw it out before trying to use it, and it fell apart in my hands. If you have advise on how to use the dough, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate your input!!
dja

I made them for my open house. It was the first time for me with asparagus & phyllo. It was pretty easy to make, but I decided I'm not an asparagus fan! I don't know that it will be a hit around here; it was the only recipe I made that the guests didn't gobble up! The ones who did like asparagus said that it was good though.

I'm not an asparagus fan, either, but I really liked them. I just loved the presentation, too! When working with phyllo (and how do you pronounce that anyhow?) you want to thaw it first of all, and then while you're working, keep it covered with plastic wrap or a damp towel so it doesn't dry out.

We made it at a cluster meeting and thought it was pretty funny-I said I wouldn't like the asparagus and two others said they wouldn't like the aioli because they don't like the red peppers. Well, I liked it and they said that it wouldn't be great without the aioli!

I made this for a show last night. Instead of the nonstick cooking spray, I used my kitchen spritzer with the basil blend oil. It was really good. As far as the phyllo dough,(feelo) you don't want to open the package before you are ready to use it, and you might want to try covering it with a damp towel it if is going to be out for a while. I think I will prepare most of these when I get to the hosts home next time and just do a couple to finish up during the show.

I made these once before and EVERYONE loved them! It was at a Wine and Tapas party (not a PC show) my friend had and I only made 20 of them. Well, within 3 minutes of taking them out of the oven, they were all gone! I should have made more...but I didn't have any more asparagus. I'll make them again for a show tomorrow night.

Anyway, maybe it was just me, but when I covered the dough with a damp paper towel, the dough got all sticky and i lost a few sheets of phyllo that "melted" onto the paper towel. So I don't plan on covering it all next time. Just my experience with phyllo..

DO COVER THE DOUGH!!! Put a piece of plastic wrap over it and a damp kitchen towel over that. The dampness in the towel weights it down. If you don't cover it, you will work with brittle pieces...and there is no way to reverse the drying!!!!

Thanks everyone for your tips.

I always cover the phyllo sheets w/parchment (cross sell :) paper and then a damp kitchen towel over the top. This keeps them from drying out, but the sheets don't stick.

The show I'm making them for is going to have 20 or more people there (hooray) so I'm going to double the recipe. Can I make most of them up before the guests arrive and cover them before baking? I'm assuming this will work just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

Does anyone use the jarred peppers or do you roast them yourself? I've tried the jarred before and they tasted a little different. Maybe it's the brand I bought?

Thanks again for all your help!

For roasting the peppers yourself I found the trick to getting the "burnt" part off was to put while still really hot inside freezer quality ziplocs & put them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. The skin comes right off.

I think the one's in the jar are totally different tasting. Actually I only like home roasted peppers and won't eat the stuff in the jar.

pampchefrhondab said:
I always cover the phyllo sheets w/parchment (cross sell :) paper and then a damp kitchen towel over the top. This keeps them from drying out, but the sheets don't stick.

Does anyone use the jarred peppers or do you roast them yourself? I've tried the jarred before and they tasted a little different. Maybe it's the brand I bought?

Maybe I'll try your trick with the parchment paper, although I didn't have a problem last time with the phyllo drying out! I found it really easy to work with. Nonetheless, I love cross selling!

I bought the jarred peppers and I noticed that some brands had vinegar in them and some don't, even though the labels all said, "Roasted Peppers" or "Sweet Roasted Peppers" without mentioning the vinegar on the front of the label. Had to check the ingredients...
Maybe the kind you bought had vinegar in it? Just a thought...

This recipe is delicious! I loved it! And the other day I was watching Paula Deen and guess what? She made them too! She didn't make the aioli, but the asparagus wraps!!! :) Enjoy!!! :)

pampchefrhondab said:
The show I'm making them for is going to have 20 or more people there (hooray) so I'm going to double the recipe. Can I make most of them up before the guests arrive and cover them before baking? I'm assuming this will work just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

It works. I made a bunch in advance for my fall open house. Just covered them and left them sitting out and they were fine.

Hey Deb,

I didn't read your post unitl after my show tonight, but I did talk to someone in the tests kitchens at the H.O. and they said it would be fine as well.

I make them and put them in a plastic container, but I did not spray them w/cooking spray until right before we cooked them. They were fine.

Thank you so much for your help.

I hate to admit that I never tried this recipe when it first came out. It has been on my appetizer menu selection list for over a year and NO ONE has ever wanted to try it. I have a show tomorrow that wants to do it so here I am searching CS for help :)

I made them for dinner tonight and was surprised I liked the aoili :)

For those of you that have done this at a show...any tips or suggestions other than those already mentioned in this thread? My phyllo felt dry when I opened it up but was very easy to work with. I didn't think they looked all that pretty but my husband thought they looked like the picture.

How many do you recommend making per person? Recipe makes 16. Is that enough or should I double the recipe?

I made this a couple of times, once for a show and once for a friend's Election Nite party when she was elected mayor of our city. They are wonderful, but I thought the phylo dough a pain to work with, even when I kept it covered with saran AND a moist dish towel. I wrapped 'em up, sprtized em with a little garlic oil and then sprinkled a little asiago cheese over them before I baked them. They were really good. I personally don't care for that darn dough tho'.

1. What is Phyllo-Wrapped Asparagus W/Roasted Red Pepper Aioli?

Phyllo-Wrapped Asparagus W/Roasted Red Pepper Aioli is a delicious appetizer made with fresh asparagus wrapped in crispy phyllo pastry and served with a flavorful roasted red pepper aioli for dipping.

2. Is this dish difficult to make?

While it may seem intimidating, Phyllo-Wrapped Asparagus W/Roasted Red Pepper Aioli is actually quite easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you can create a beautiful and tasty appetizer that will impress your guests.

3. Can I make this dish ahead of time?

Yes, you can prepare the phyllo-wrapped asparagus ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until ready to bake. The roasted red pepper aioli can also be made in advance and stored in the fridge. Simply reheat the asparagus in the oven and serve with the aioli when ready.

4. Can I use frozen asparagus for this recipe?

While fresh asparagus is recommended for the best taste and texture, you can use frozen asparagus if needed. Just make sure to thaw and pat dry the asparagus before wrapping it in the phyllo dough.

5. What else can I serve with Phyllo-Wrapped Asparagus W/Roasted Red Pepper Aioli?

This dish makes a great appetizer or side dish for a variety of meals. It pairs well with grilled meats, pasta dishes, and even salads. You could also serve it as part of a party platter with other tasty finger foods.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• frozenchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • c00p
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
redsoxgirl
  • JAE