• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Peter Pan Peanut Butter Recall.......

I've been feeding it to my 3 year old grandson too !!!!The FDA is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected. If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006
PampMomof3 said:
I grew up on Peter Pan and that's the ONLY thing I'll buy. I guess I'll have to rethink it now!

Same thing with me! Although I am starting to learn to go out and explore on my own, I never used a piece of stoneware growing up, and look at my cabinets now!! It is so easy to just do as you always did though..

That is SO true! It's funny when you get married too, because now you have to merge what two families did all along. LOL!

rebeccastt said:
I can't believe how many of you use Peter Pan! We are a Skippy household so thankgoodness we didn't get sick. My DH LOVES pb&j's.
JIF is really yummy too. Especially Extra crunchy

Good Point guys! I never thought I would fly after 9/11 and I flew to go to conference in 2005 and now I'm going on a plane for 9 hours for a FREE trip to San Fran! So, you can change!!!:)

Now you've all got me wondering what kind of peanut butter my husband grew up on........Hmmm.......

I buy natural peanut butter at Trader Joe's. It is SOOOOOO good. :)

I will more then likely switch to Jiffy we didnt eat much pb&j growing up

Grew up on Skippy ONLY...now I like Jif but buy Peter Pan too... (depends on the sales and the coupons I have - LOL!) ...changed my "brand loyalty" to match my budget. My kids don't seem picky... ...However, I might switch to the organic from the health food store my sitter uses after this!!!! ...except for the fact that if we only knew what was in most of our food, we wouldn't eat!!!!

I talked to our son last night when he got home and he was also eating it from the canister on a spoon during the time he was sick and with bananas
The DR. assumed it was the flu and in the beginning said use imodium but as it kept progressing she gave him an antibiotic. I really feel it was the PB now.
We use so much PB that I switched to Peter Pan because I could buy it at Sams creamy for the kid with braces crunchy for older son and ,myself (we eat ours on a spoon with chocolate chips) HA! None of us like jelly and although we "only" eat wheat or rye bread for PB it has to be Sunbeam white.
how weird is that?
Teresa

I remember when Jif was introduced - I was just a little kid at the time - and they used a kangaroo for an advertising mascot. That always stuck with me, and I still think of Jif as being a new brand. (If you didn't figure out before just how old I am, you can sure figure it out now!)My first wife was a Skippy user, so I had to reluctantly give up my Jif (along with a lot of other things but don't get me started) so the day I changed the locks, I went out and bought one of those giant cannisters of Jif. Not to mention pea soup but that's a story for another day. ;)

Ive' never been so happy to be a JIF family! My kids eat tons of PB and PB&J.
Weve had enough health issues without this too. I grew up on Skippy & Hubby Grew up on generic. Jif usually fits my budget so I go with the good stuff.

To all of you who have been sick I hope your are back to your old selves soon!

Last edited:
Figures we hardly ever eat peanut butter but I got two jars B1G1Free at Publix the other day and ate a bunch myself! :( Luckily no one else ate it, but I hope I don't get sick! I ate it Thurs. morning, do you think I'm ok if I'm not sick yet?

Yes, I got sick that night...

PamperedMelanie said:
Figures we hardly ever eat peanut butter but I got two jars B1G1Free at Publix the other day and ate a bunch myself! :( Luckily no one else ate it, but I hope I don't get sick! I ate it Thurs. morning, do you think I'm ok if I'm not sick yet?
Look up the lot number!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Look up the lot number!

Yep, both had the the right (or horribly WRONG) lot number.....I feel ok, I hope....

You feel fine enough to take it back to Publix, right? :D

Please don't tell me what's in my food. :eek: I really don't want to know.

No one quite knows exactly what's in
6213.jpg

:eek: I went to a Arbonne meeting the other night and they told us how other companies make cosmetics etc. The whole story in a nutshell is that animals that are euthanized, found dead etc are all taken to a plant where they are ground up. The oil that settles on the top of this scum is sold by the barrell to leading cosmetic companies to use as filler for their products. Pretty nasty!

luvs2sellit said:
:eek: I went to a Arbonne meeting the other night and they told us how other companies make cosmetics etc. The whole story in a nutshell is that animals that are euthanized, found dead etc are all taken to a plant where they are ground up. The oil that settles on the top of this scum is sold by the barrell to leading cosmetic companies to use as filler for their products. Pretty nasty!

Not to cast aspersions on Arbonne or any other company, but I have a hard time believing things like this. It's my understanding that most humane societies and veterinarians that euthanize animals cremate the remains. I think too often companies use scare tactics to sell products.

I had a salesperson from a water testing company at my home one time and he told me that the stuff that forms on the top of the water when I boil spaghetti is impurities in my water. I said, "Really? Then why doesn't it show up until after I put my spaghetti in the water?" He left soon after that.

luvs2sellit said:
...and the rest of the soup is used to make
6213.jpg

:rolleyes:

When they start that kind of foolishness, it's time to stand up and walk out.

raebates said:
I had a salesperson from a water testing company at my home one time and he told me that the stuff that forms on the top of the water when I boil spaghetti is impurities in my water. I said, "Really? Then why doesn't it show up until after I put my spaghetti in the water?" He left soon after that.

Good for you Rae! Do people really fall for lines like that?

And I have a hard time believing that about the dead animals.....seems too "soylent green" for me!

Considering some of the things people ask me about, I'm fairly certain it works a lot. Then again, many of them could be true. Honestly, sometimes I'd just rather remain clueless. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Yes, people do make outrageous claims like that, and they usually present it as a fact. If they aren't called on it, they probably start to believe it themselves.The standard rule of propaganda is that if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth. There are many such examples in everyday life today.

I have a person here who sells Arbonne and heard the whole spiel and did a LOT of research on the company. I like their products, but some of their sales pitches about the products being developed and made in Switzerland that this consultant had were not entirely true!

Also, it is true that a lot of makeup contains "junk" but not all is made in the manner described.

That being said, I do like some Arbonne products, but for the amount of time I wear eyeliner, my store bought stuff was fine for me. Each person has to pick and choose what they want to do and what fits their budget.

I went to an Arbonne meeting about 6 months ago. I only went because a friend of my daughters invited both of us to "hear the spiel" (sp)...and her daddy was all fired up to sign up. It was at an Italian restaurant and the food was free so what the heck. I had no intention of signing up of course, mainly went out of curiosity to see how somebody else "does it". There were at least 60-75 in the room. The rep got up and immediately had all of us that wore makeup raise our hands (all but the men did)..then she ask them if their wives or g/f did and they all said yes. Then she went into the talk about the bugs and dead animals in our makeup and how ours contains mineral oil and we are killing our skin. I live in rural NC - alot of struggling people financially - anyway she then went into how they could make thousands - tens of thousands and even more by just signing up $100 - and getting 4 people under them - they get 4 - they get 4 and so on and so on - pyramid scheme..and they would be rich. And how they could earn a Mercedes just like she did. It made me sick.

My daughter and I got up and left right after her speech. My friends daddy did sign up, along with about 20 other people and they are doing practically nothing now. The lady has been turned in for false advertising. She is in legal trouble, I know that much.
Not to knock Arbonne - its good stuff - I have a friend that is a rep - normal sign up is $39 I believe but she says there are apparently reps all over the country with Arbonne doing the $100 sign up/get rich thingy and getting in trouble. I casually mentioned this meeting to her over the holidays and she knew exactly who I was talking about and was really saddened that reps like this represent the company. Crazy!

Last edited:
My dermatologist told me that some of the natural ingredients can actually aggravate your skin and acne! So go figure.

I always laugh when someone points out, "but it's natural!" Yeah, so's snake venom, poison ivy, and cocain. Natural doesn't always mean healthy.

I don't have time to read every post on this thread this morning so forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else said; however, I read an article in our morning paper today. Everyone who has Peter Pan peanut butter will have to take it back to the store because the plant they came out of is the ONLY one! It's in Georgia (now there is a surprise:)). The recall goes back to May 2006! They did say you can just take the lid to the story, not the entire jar. That's more convenient.

We have the peanut butter here too (2 half eaten jars- creamy and crunchy). Luckily nobody in my family has gotten sick. Peter Pan is my kids favorite, now we won't be able to get any for a while! I had to buy Jif yesterday at the store. My favorite is the Natural PB, but my kids don't like it.

I am definitely feeling better, but not back to 100%...Kristi, how are you and your family doing?? And anyone else who had it... I came to work today and my boss handed me a jar of homemade PB! It is REALLY good...I might just make my own from now on...

Question: What were your symptoms? My son has had diahrrea (sorry guys) for about 5-6 days now. I had been attributing it to him having some dairy but he's been off that for about 4-5 days. He doesn't "appear" sick - no fever, but this won't go away. He's 3 so he can't fully tell me what he's feeling, etc. He eats peanut butter sandwiches daily and we had a jar of the bad PB that was 1/2 gone...

janetupnorth said:
Question: What were your symptoms? My son has had diahrrea (sorry guys) for about 5-6 days now. I had been attributing it to him having some dairy but he's been off that for about 4-5 days. He doesn't "appear" sick - no fever, but this won't go away. He's 3 so he can't fully tell me what he's feeling, etc. He eats peanut butter sandwiches daily and we had a jar of the bad PB that was 1/2 gone...

I would bring him to an urgent care of ER and I think that they can test him for it. It can lead to infections and could be deadly. I would rather be safe than sorry. I only had about 1 tbsp of it before it was broadcasted and I found out about it and threw it out. But if he has eaten 1/2 of an infected jar, I would assume that it could get bad... I am still not feeling up to par, but had some night sweats, vomiting and diahrrea, a very gurgled stomach and some nausea.

jenniferknapp said:
I would bring him to an urgent care of ER and I think that they can test him for it. It can lead to infections and could be deadly. I would rather be safe than sorry. I only had about 1 tbsp of it before it was broadcasted and I found out about it and threw it out. But if he has eaten 1/2 of an infected jar, I would assume that it could get bad... I am still not feeling up to par, but had some night sweats, vomiting and diahrrea, a very gurgled stomach and some nausea.

I called his pediatrician yesterday...they are pretty confident he is on the way out of it so they won't test unless he gets worse. He's stayed hydrated well and gotten plenty of sleep so that has helped out. If he would get worse rather than better as he is they said to then bring him in.

Good :) If you stopped giving him the PB and he is getting better, then that was probably it!

I am a microbiologist by day and we are actually in the process of testing several different jars of peanut butter right now to confirm the presence of Salmonella. I'll let you know what we find out.

The symptoms were a fever, then the next day severe vomiting and diarrhea. I did call the doctor and they prescribed Phenergen which is a suppository so the kids didn't want to take it again after the first time!:eek: I can't blame them though!!!

It lasted 4-5 days per person but luckily we overlapped each other so we had it in our house for 9 days.

I'm so sorry for those that are sick. I know first hand that it is not fun and just make sure you hydrate the kids with Gatorade and water!!! They also said pedialyte!!

chefhorton said:
I am a microbiologist by day and we are actually in the process of testing several different jars of peanut butter right now to confirm the presence of Salmonella. I'll let you know what we find out.

Thanks Horton! I can't wait to find out your results!!!

My boss told me that I should have brought my jar of PB to the College (where I work) to the Microbiology dept....but I got rid of it already, and just kept the lids.

Man, you should have! I still have mine! But mine is a big 56 oz jar and I'm just waiting to take it back!!

I am taking back just the lids... I didn't want the PB in my house any longer....I brought it to the dump!

Yeah, I really can't blame you! I am afraid my kids are going to take the PB and eat it from the jar but they know that it made them sick so I doubt they will!!;)

Mine is on top of the fridge waiting to go back - too high for the 3 and 5 year old to reach and mix up but there for me to take back...only problem...I keep forgetting to take it with me to town!!!!

I washed the lids really well and they are in my purse right now so that I don't forget again!!

<h2>1. What is the reason for the Peter Pan peanut butter recall?</h2><p>The FDA has issued a warning about potential contamination of Salmonella Tennessee in certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter, manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. </p><h2>2. How can I check if my peanut butter is affected by the recall?</h2><p>If your peanut butter has a product code on the lid that begins with "2111" and was purchased since May 2006, it should be discarded.</p><h2>3. What are the symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella?</h2><p>Symptoms may include fever, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. In some cases, the infection can become life-threatening, especially for individuals with weakened immune systems.</p><h2>4. What should I do if I have recently eaten the affected peanut butter and am experiencing symptoms?</h2><p>If you have consumed the affected peanut butter and are experiencing symptoms, you should contact your doctor or healthcare provider immediately. Any illnesses should also be reported to state or local health authorities.</p><h2>5. What is ConAgra doing to address the issue?</h2><p>ConAgra is recalling all affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter and has ceased production until the cause of contamination can be identified and eliminated. The company is also working with FDA investigators to review records, collect product samples, and conduct tests for Salmonella Tennessee.</p>

1. What is the reason for the Peter Pan peanut butter recall?

The FDA has issued a warning about potential contamination of Salmonella Tennessee in certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter, manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra.

2. How can I check if my peanut butter is affected by the recall?

If your peanut butter has a product code on the lid that begins with "2111" and was purchased since May 2006, it should be discarded.

3. What are the symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella?

Symptoms may include fever, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. In some cases, the infection can become life-threatening, especially for individuals with weakened immune systems.

4. What should I do if I have recently eaten the affected peanut butter and am experiencing symptoms?

If you have consumed the affected peanut butter and are experiencing symptoms, you should contact your doctor or healthcare provider immediately. Any illnesses should also be reported to state or local health authorities.

5. What is ConAgra doing to address the issue?

ConAgra is recalling all affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter and has ceased production until the cause of contamination can be identified and eliminated. The company is also working with FDA investigators to review records, collect product samples, and conduct tests for Salmonella Tennessee.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kitchen2u