• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Peter Pan Peanut Butter Recall.......

I've been feeding it to my 3 year old grandson too !!!!The FDA is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected. If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006
PampMomof3
Gold Member
So, we've been sick for the past week and our symptoms were vomiting and diarrhea. (I know too much info, sorry! It's not been fun) WEll, my dh just called and said that Peter Pan has a recall and he wanted me to read the lot number on top of the jar. So I say 2111 and he stopped me to tell me that we have it the infected pb! :eek: Here is an article so you can check yours.........

The FDA is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter.

They say these products may be contaminated with salmonella

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected.

If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006, they should discard it.

Symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella include fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. In persons with poor underlying health or weakened immune systems, Salmonella can invade the bloodstream and cause life-threatening infections. Individuals who have recently eaten Peter Pan and Great Value brand peanut butter beginning with product code 2111 and have experienced any of these symptoms should contact their doctor or health care provider immediately. Any such illnesses should be reported to state or local health authorities.

FDA's warning is based on a just-completed epidemiological study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the states and local health agencies, which links 288 cases of foodborne illness in 39 states to consumption of varying types of Peter Pan peanut butter. This report was provided to FDA on February 13.

The outbreak appears to be ongoing and the first consumer may have become ill in August 2006. The cause of foodborne illnesses can be difficult to identify. As a result of extensive epidemiological testing and recent case control studies, CDC was recently able to identify Peter Pan peanut butter as the likely cause of illness. Great Value brand peanut butter beginning with product code 2111 is manufactured in the same plant as Peter Pan peanut butter and, thus, is believed to be at similar risk of contamination.

ConAgra is recalling all Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter beginning with product code 2111 that already was distributed. The company also is destroying all affected products in their possession. The company will cease production until the exact cause of contamination can be identified and eliminated. ConAgra will advise consumers to destroy any Peter Pan and Great Value brand peanut butter beginning with product code 2111 in their possession. To assist in this endeavor, FDA has sent investigators to ConAgra's processing plant in Sylvester, Georgia where the products are made to review records, collect product samples and conduct tests for Salmonella Tennessee.

FDA will provide regular updates as more information becomes available.

Consumers who have questions should contact ConAgra at 866-344-6970.

Oh my goodness! That's crazy!

Are you guys feeling better now?

Thanks for letting us know.

I eat Jiff

but my niece lovesssss Peter Pan

She lives out of town and I will have to wait until time to call and let her know

~

So we can't eat salad and now peanut butter and who knows what's being put in our meat!

I guess we need to buy a farm and start growing our own food.

Oh, and, even if the food produced in the US is made safe did you know that lots of our produce is grown outside of our borders? What are their restrictions and standards?

I hope you all feel better soon!!

Well, my 6 year old is still vomiting, myself and my 2 children still run to the bathroom but it's better than puking! In my opinion.:rolleyes:

Thanks Beth! I hope so too!!;)

I have a jar of Great Value P'Butter at home....I just called dh and it IS one of the recalled jars !!! And it's half gone !!!! But we have all been fine....I've been feeding it to my 3 year old grandson too !!!! Yikes !!!!

pampered_heathery said:
I have a jar of Great Value P'Butter at home....I just called dh and it IS one of the recalled jars !!! And it's half gone !!!! But we have all been fine....I've been feeding it to my 3 year old grandson too !!!! Yikes !!!!
In NC too! Good thing DH is allergic to peanut butter! I hope you don't get sick.

Hope you all feel better soon!

When I was a kid, we used to buy roasted peanuts and make our own peanut butter in the Osterizer. (Mom used to work in the test kitchen at Oster.)The oil separated out when it sat, but it was otherwise was quite tasty. We kept in in Ball mason jars, and used to store it upside down so the peanut oil would rise to the bottom.

Okay, I deleted my repeat of a thread...how did I not see this one? Maybe the salmonella got to my head too!:rolleyes: Yep...I have it too, thank god I only had little, I only threw up once....but it was enough to make me nauseas all day and night!:(I've had this jar of PB in my cabinet for awhile, and it is just odd that I came on here to warn everyone about it, and Kristi and her fam has the same thing..today!

Well, I am glad I saw this. A couple of months ago, I had severe stomach cramps 2 times 3 weeks apart. I also had the other symptoms. Well, I was freaking out because I have a history of diverticulitis and have had to have almost all of my colon removed due to a perforation. I thought that it was coming back in what little I have left. Went to the doctor and he couldn't figure it out. Well, I have 3 jars of the peanut butter here. It is a relief to know that I just had food poisening and not a recurrence of the disease that almost killed me. Thanks for sharing this!

Geez Melissa! :eek: I'm glad to know as well! ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
When I was a kid, we used to buy roasted peanuts and make our own peanut butter in the Osterizer. (Mom used to work in the test kitchen at Oster.)

The oil separated out when it sat, but it was otherwise was quite tasty. We kept in in Ball mason jars, and used to store it upside down so the peanut oil would rise to the bottom.

It's good isn't it? And way better for you. The kids eat Jiff or Kroger brand, but me and the husband eat Smucker's Natural which is just peanuts and salt. He was reluctant when I first bought it, but now he really likes it, especially if it's drizzled with honey. I prefer mine with bananas.

Hey Jennifer that's our peanut butter too!! I give it to the kiddos! The whole family eats it. The other peanut butter (our previous brand of choice was Jiff) has that partially hydrogenated oil in it. The PH oil is very bad for you and has been linked to causing cancer. Since cancer runs deep in my family we try to take as many precautions as we can. Almost all processed food has the PH oil in it. Read the labels!!

I hope you guys feel better soon!

We have had both Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter in the past few months. Right now we have a recalled that is half empty. My 4 yr old has eaten the most of it. That jar must be fine because no one is sick but about a month ago we all got REALLY sick so I'm pretty sure that was what caused it.

Please report your casesAs a student in Sanitation for Food Service Professional's classes we have discoverd that many cases go un-reported. It is important to report your cases even though it has now been televised. The importance is so that the FDA (Food & Drug Administration & the Center for Desease Control) CDC are aware of how Widespread the epidemic is. They will then make every effort to make Numerous TV/Radio Blasts so that more are not infected or worse. I'm sure your aware that the very Young, Elderly, and the Sick already have weakened immune systoms and a minor case of food poisoning could ultimately prove deadly for them. You can call the CDC and report your illness to help there efforts.

Good luck and you should really make sure you are checked out thoroughly so your family doesn't have any residual problems.

Sorry so long winded we (in my class) have just discovered how un-sanitary much of our food is prepared. Makes you really cautious when you go out to eat too:(

Thanks for you well wishes!!;) I have already called the CDC and had to leave a message to report my case.

Thanks!:)

PampMomof3 said:
Thanks for you well wishes!!;) I have already called the CDC and had to leave a message to report my case.

Thanks!:)
Your welcome. Here's hoping a Warmmmmmmmmmm and Healthy day for all. Thank goodness were not freezing like alot of the gals up east. My director's in Albany where it just got Blanketed with Blizzards of snow.

Chef Kearns said:
Hey Jennifer that's our peanut butter too!! I give it to the kiddos! The whole family eats it. The other peanut butter (our previous brand of choice was Jiff) has that partially hydrogenated oil in it. The PH oil is very bad for you and has been linked to causing cancer. Since cancer runs deep in my family we try to take as many precautions as we can. Almost all processed food has the PH oil in it. Read the labels!!

I hope you guys feel better soon!

I started eating that kind when I started on the Dr Oz diet. I love it!! I love all kinds of nuts though. My husband broke our nut cracker the other night and I was sad :(

Yeah, I know the other kind is full of junk. Actually, the only one that really eats it is my oldest step-daughter. She is 14 and is very difficult (and getting worse every day). She eats some fruits, but wont touch any vegetables except green peppers, corn and potatoes. She won't drink milk unless it is loaded with chocolate. She will only eat white bread and white rice (no wheat or brown). You can't tell her about it either because she is so stubborn (gets it from her real Mother). She used to love fish and one day she saw one of the black veins in it and now she won't touch it. She used to love cottage cheese until she found out it was basically rotten milk, now she won't touch that either. All she wants to eat is red meat and junk, and lots of it. I babysit, and one of the kids I babysit for just had a birthday so I made him a cake and got some ice cream. I don't have any kids today, so I slept in. When I got up, I saw that she had eaten ice cream for breakfast. Nice huh? I don't like to buy junk food because I don't want to be tempted to eat it, but that is all she eats. My other step-daughter (12) and my 5 year old son eat tons of different vegetables. One day I opened a bag of raw carrots to snack on and they kept taking the bag from me :)

I am a Costco fanatic...and we love the Kirkland (Costco brand) Organic Peanut Butter - my DS doesn't like meat, so he gets alot of his protein from PB....he love PBJ sandwiches, PB & Apples, PB & Bananas, PB & Graham Crackers, PB & celery.......

We don't have any Costco's around here. Are they the same as Sam's Club?

Hmm, our jars have it but we haven't been sick. Are we supposed to send them back?

I just found two contaminated jars in our pantry. One was unopened, but the other I've been feeding to my 1 1/2 year old DD and 3 year old DS. Thank goodness they don't seem to be showing any signs of being infected yet. That's all I need is a house full of sick kids!!!

I hope everyone who has been infected by it gets over it quick. Anyone who has contaminated jars, discard the contents and jars, but keep the lids and send the to:

ConAgra Foods
PO Box 3768
Omaha, NE 68103

They will give you a full refund.

I just opened a conaminated jar yesterday for lunch and me and my son ate it and now we are sick this morning. My friend said food poising wont go through breast milk does anyone know?? I am currently nursing a 6 1/2 month old.

I have...2 unopened jars and one that is half way gone and we have been fine. But I will toss the new one to be safe. All 3 jars start with those numbers. Well at least I can get my money back!! Hope you feel better soon!!

Yes
jenniferlynne said:
We don't have any Costco's around here. Are they the same as Sam's Club?

Yes it is Jennifer. I am actually a Sam's club member and we have two Costo's in our city but I have never gone. Lack of time and I think they are pretty much the same.

We eat Jiff Peanut butter because my husband likes it. But we did have a jar of Peter Pan PB in our pantry not too long ago. No one really got sick though, so I guess the Lord spared us.

Debbie :D

jenniferlynne said:
It's good isn't it? And way better for you. The kids eat Jiff or Kroger brand, but me and the husband eat Smucker's Natural which is just peanuts and salt. He was reluctant when I first bought it, but now he really likes it, especially if it's drizzled with honey. I prefer mine with bananas.
There's something to be said for Au Naturel, isn't there?

;)

Wow, thanks......I just checked my jar and it's from the infected batch!!! We've been fine around here though. I'm still tossing it just to be on the safe side. (Actually most of it has been used in mt shows making the Peanutty Chocolate Cake.....I haven't heard of anyone becoming sick though.)

Maybe the chocolate counteracts the virus.(OH, spare me the lecture. It's just a joke.)

The jar that I got sick from the other night had a little missing, and I remembered that I used it in a recipe, so I think it must have cooked out or something, and that is why there weren't any side effects...until now when I ate it directly out of the jar:(

Kristi...my friend and her family have been sick over the past week and a half...and she just found out today that her Peanut Butter (Peter Pan) was from the same lot as well!!! She's still feeling pretty horrible...but the kids and husband are all better...I hope you all are doing better as well!!!!!

OH MY GOSH!!!
I was cooking dinner & it occurred to me I think I have Peter Pan in the pantry we have 2 6 pound tubs both with the affected # one crunchy the other creamy.
From New Years Eve until Jan 23 our 16 year old son lost 11 pounds from constant trips to the bathroom. He was eating 4 double peanut butter sandwiches a day for power lifting. We had him on antibiotics and other prescriptions trying to get hiom better . Now I wonder if this was the culprit???

I decided to go check out my cabinets and found two jars that numbers start with 2111 so I threw them out. One of them was half way empty. Glad it didn't make us sick....I hope everyone feels better!!

We had a jar in our pantry. :eek:

OMG Teresa~:eek: I'm sorry! I betcha it is!! I went and searched my pantry and I have 4 tubs of Peter Pan starting with 2111 so guess what? No pb for me for awhile!!!

Return it to your retailer and they will replace it. According to reports I heard, if you keep the panel of the jar/can that has the lot number on it, you can toss everything else and return the panel to the retailer for replacement.

I called walmart and they said they would replace it no problem

Jennie4PC said:
I called walmart and they said they would replace it no problem

Good to know, thanks! Now I need to call the CDC to report my case:rolleyes:

I don't want them to replace it right now. I don't want to get sick again!!!:eek: I know I can't be afraid for ever but while it's still here cycling through my house, I'm not chancing it!:cool:

PampMomof3 said:
I don't want them to replace it right now. I don't want to get sick again!!!:eek: I know I can't be afraid for ever but while it's still here cycling through my house, I'm not chancing it!:cool:

I hear ya, I feel like I want a replacement of another brand...

jenniferknapp said:
I hear ya, I feel like I want a replacement of another brand...

Yeah, I think I'll just take my money back.:cool:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Maybe the chocolate counteracts the virus.

(OH, spare me the lecture. It's just a joke.)
I would never even attempt to lecture you KG!!!:p

Our walmart is either replacing or refunding, customers choice.

Teresa Lynn said:
OH MY GOSH!!!
I was cooking dinner & it occurred to me I think I have Peter Pan in the pantry we have 2 6 pound tubs both with the affected # one crunchy the other creamy.
From New Years Eve until Jan 23 our 16 year old son lost 11 pounds from constant trips to the bathroom. He was eating 4 double peanut butter sandwiches a day for power lifting. We had him on antibiotics and other prescriptions trying to get hiom better . Now I wonder if this was the culprit???

Oh my gosh!!! I hope he is feeling better now. I bet he was misrable to be sick for so long!!!

Jiff can have a new commercial "Choosey Mothers Choose Jiff because we won't make you sick"
Did they ever find out how it got into the peanut butter or are they still investigating?

jenniferlynne said:
Oh my gosh!!! I hope he is feeling better now. I bet he was misrable to be sick for so long!!!

Jiff can have a new commercial "Choosey Mothers Choose Jiff because we won't make you sick"
Did they ever find out how it got into the peanut butter or are they still investigating?

That's hilarious Jennifer! I actually laughed out loud and we were all sick well, my 6 year still is!:(

My son was sick too in January and I thought he had the flu...he goes through PB sandwiches like Jelly...pun intended. I had Peter Pan at the time but now have Jif in the house because we used that up...now wondering if it was something else... :(

I hope those who are sick right now (especially the kids) all feel better soon!

Thanks Janet! It lasted per person for 4 days. Tomorrow will be day 4 for my 6 year old who still has it. I hope he feels better on Saturday!!!:)

I can't believe how many of you use Peter Pan! We are a Skippy household so thankgoodness we didn't get sick. My DH LOVES pb&j's.

I grew up on Peter Pan and that's the ONLY thing I'll buy. I guess I'll have to rethink it now!

<h2>1. What is the reason for the Peter Pan peanut butter recall?</h2><p>The FDA has issued a warning about potential contamination of Salmonella Tennessee in certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter, manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. </p><h2>2. How can I check if my peanut butter is affected by the recall?</h2><p>If your peanut butter has a product code on the lid that begins with "2111" and was purchased since May 2006, it should be discarded.</p><h2>3. What are the symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella?</h2><p>Symptoms may include fever, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. In some cases, the infection can become life-threatening, especially for individuals with weakened immune systems.</p><h2>4. What should I do if I have recently eaten the affected peanut butter and am experiencing symptoms?</h2><p>If you have consumed the affected peanut butter and are experiencing symptoms, you should contact your doctor or healthcare provider immediately. Any illnesses should also be reported to state or local health authorities.</p><h2>5. What is ConAgra doing to address the issue?</h2><p>ConAgra is recalling all affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter and has ceased production until the cause of contamination can be identified and eliminated. The company is also working with FDA investigators to review records, collect product samples, and conduct tests for Salmonella Tennessee.</p>

1. What is the reason for the Peter Pan peanut butter recall?

The FDA has issued a warning about potential contamination of Salmonella Tennessee in certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter, manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra.

2. How can I check if my peanut butter is affected by the recall?

If your peanut butter has a product code on the lid that begins with "2111" and was purchased since May 2006, it should be discarded.

3. What are the symptoms of foodborne illness caused by Salmonella?

Symptoms may include fever, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. In some cases, the infection can become life-threatening, especially for individuals with weakened immune systems.

4. What should I do if I have recently eaten the affected peanut butter and am experiencing symptoms?

If you have consumed the affected peanut butter and are experiencing symptoms, you should contact your doctor or healthcare provider immediately. Any illnesses should also be reported to state or local health authorities.

5. What is ConAgra doing to address the issue?

ConAgra is recalling all affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter and has ceased production until the cause of contamination can be identified and eliminated. The company is also working with FDA investigators to review records, collect product samples, and conduct tests for Salmonella Tennessee.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kitchen2u