• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can a Pastry Mat Safely Be Used as a Craft Heat Tool Surface?

In summary, the Pastry Mat is a mat made of silicone that is heat safe and non-stick. It is a good work surface for crafting with a heat gun, but be careful not to use it as a trivet.
chefann
Gold Member
Has anyone used the Pastry Mat (current or retired version) as a work surface for crafting, specifically when using a heat gun?

I was at the craft store today and there was a mat for sale to use with heat applications (under melting pot, with heat gun while embossing, etc.) that was billed as being heat safe and non stick. It felt a lot like a cross between parchment paper and the pastry mat. Which makes sense, because parchment is paper that's impregnated with silicone, which is what the mat is made of. Anyhoo, I'm working on a concept of something to make to sell in my Etsy shop, and adding some embossing powder would really class it up. But my craft table is my dining room table and I don't want to ruin it with my heat gun. If I could use the pastry mat as a work surface that would be splendid! (Especially because the 9x12 mat at the store was over $10 and our mat is so much bigger.)

The PIG and Use and Care for the mat states "do not use as a trivet", but it doesn't give a safe-to temp.

It's heat resistance but I don't think it's heat safe. Like you cannot use it in your oven but you can use it to make peanut brittle. I wonder if the heat gun would be like direct heat which may not work.

It's too big to fit into an oven - I think that's why it's mentioned on the use and care. :) I think I'm just going to try it. I've got the old Baker's Mat (the grey, round one) and the current one so I'm still covered even if I trash one. I guess that's on the list for tomorrow. (I'm supposed to be packing for my show tonight.)

I don't have a heat gun for crafting, but when I have done a lot of embossing (for birth announcements) I have laid the cards out on a big sheet pan and put them in the oven to melt them, it works really well. I suppose you could also use the cookie sheets as a "base" for working with the heat gun on a table, if you have old ones. They should dissipate the heat enough that you wouldn't wreck your table, especially if you put an old table cloth, towel or old folded sheet underneath. I'm not sure what the advantage of the pastry mat would be - am I missing something??

The pastry mat, being silicone, prevents the transfer of heat to the surface below it - like the Hot Pad/Trivet. I just wondered if it was safe to use for this application since it says in the use and care not to use it as a trivet. I never thought to use the oven to melt the embossing powder. What temp and time do you use? (Of course, my oven is inconsistent enough that I shouldn't trust it for something like this. I'll end up with lots of little flaming cards instead of good, sellable pieces.)

Pretend you are going for the antique look with the burnt edges!

That might work for some, but not for all. (I'm thinking of making non-plastic earring cards as an eco-friendly alternative to the velvet-flocked plastic ones that are available through jewelry supply houses. There's enough "green" thinking on Etsy that I think I could sell a lot of them. I got a cute "Thanks" stamp, and want to put that on the back of the cards, embossed. Some sellers might go for the antique look, though.)

I wonder if the pastry mat is too thin to really keep the hot away from the table. I don't think I'd risk it myself... Unless it was on my ratty table :). You could come over and practice on it if you want :).

About the oven - you know I honestly can't remember the time and temp, I think I usually start pretty low and just keep an eye on it. When the temp is right it goes pretty fast, so you can just watch it, and you're not stuck for ages. Hope this helps...

chefann said:
I'm working on a concept of something to make to sell in my Etsy shop, and adding some embossing powder would really class it up. .

Ann, I love that you are a fellow Etsy person! I just discovered that site a few months ago and fell in love.

Let us know how your experiment with the mat goes. I'm curious what the results will be

What's your user name there, Jolene? I'm chefann there, too. :) There's actually a link to my shop in my siggy here, because I have some stuff for Cheffers.

What is a pastry mat and what is it used for?

A pastry mat is a non-stick, reusable mat that is used for rolling out dough, fondant, and other pastry items. It provides a smooth surface for rolling and prevents sticking, making it easier to work with delicate doughs.

How do I clean my pastry mat?

The pastry mat can be easily cleaned by hand with warm, soapy water. For tougher stains, you can use a baking soda paste or white vinegar to gently scrub the mat. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that can damage the non-stick surface.

Can the pastry mat be used in the oven?

No, the pastry mat is not suitable for use in the oven as it is not heat-resistant. It is designed for use on countertops and other flat surfaces.

What is a craft heat tool and what is it used for?

A craft heat tool, also known as a heat gun, is a handheld tool that emits a concentrated stream of hot air. It is commonly used for crafts such as embossing, shrinking plastic, and drying paint or glue quickly.

Is the craft heat tool safe to use?

Yes, the craft heat tool is safe to use as long as it is used properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions, such as wearing protective eyewear and keeping the tool away from flammable objects.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
urbnk8
Replies
Views
PamperedGinger
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies