• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Butterflies: Tips from Experienced Women

um...butterflies...fly away a little bit more gracefully.It's normal to still get the butterflies. This November it will be two years for me in the PC business and I still get the butterflies when I am doing shows with women I don't really know. It's natural for us to want people to like us, to like our products and not wanting to mess up and look like an idiot. I am not a shy person and I love using the products and doing the demos but I sometimes have to really pump myself up in the hosts bathroom (quietly) or on the ride over there to get myself excited, motivated and ready!After I get started I usually relax
JoyfulChef
What is it with butterflies? I want that part to go away!!!!! For you experienced gals, do any of you get butterflies still after all this time? What is your solution to it? It's annoying! LOL:p

I have only done 13 shows so I'm still very new but after my first 2 or 3 shows mine went away. The fact that I'm an attention hog may have something to do with that..lol.

It's normal!It's very normal to still get the butterflies. This November it will be two years for me in the PC business and I still get the butterflies when I am doing shows with women I don't really know.
It's natural for us to want people to like us, to like our products and not wanting to mess up and look like an idiot.
I am not a shy person and I love using the products and doing the demos but I sometimes have to really pump myself up in the hosts bathroom (quietly) or on the ride over there to get myself excited, motivated and ready!
After I get started I usually relax and then it's just fun!!

Debbie :D

I've done almost 60 shows & I still get nervous when the first guests walk in the door. But by the time the show starts, I'm better. It gets easier with more shows! I've also noticed the closer I have my shows together (not spacing out to a month apart) that I feel better!

Same here...still get the "pre-show jitters" but I am not into public speaking. I am a pretty outgoing person one-on-one but I have crowd "issues" Time for a Dr. Phil show? hehe

Just keep on strokin' and you'll pull through it just like the others do.

Valky

I just did my fifth cooking show last night for my biggest crowd-14 people! I was soooo nervous, I felt like I looked like an idiot up there. They were all so quite and I asked my hosts mom (whom I know very well and she sells Princess House) if I looked ok, and she said "yes, they were all listening to you"! Woo hoo! I have learned so far that I feel the nervousness much more than people can see it, it does get better, though, the more shows I do. :D

Eventually, you'll get to the point where you're only nervous if there's someone special in the group - like a chef or nutritionist - who could refute whatever you say. Sometimes it helps to think of the guests at your shows as friends, who you're just sharing some of your favorite stuff with. Like Show and Tell!

I get nervous for sure! Even if it is someone I know. I find that I talk fast but my best friend was at my last show and she told me I didnt talk fast and sounded fine. I'm fine and funny when it comes to a few close friends but in front of a room full of people I'm all smiles and sweet but not as funny as I wish!

My director told us to pump up our favorite music in the car and just get ourselves going. She said that helps to get you motivated and revved up. Try it. I guess it cant hurt :)

Good luck!

It even happens later!I found all I could do was get used to it. I have been in 5 years and still get nervous. Especially with a new host. I simply take a deep breath and GO!
My set up helps take the nerves out too as I talk to my host most of the time so that when it comes time to do my bit, I am a little more relaxed as I then realize that they aren't there to judge me. And you know what else, that nevousness is a good thing. It means you will be on your toes. It means you will actually sound more excited. It works to your advantage as long as you don't make yourslef sick!
No nevousness, to ****y, lousy show!

Me tooI've been doing PC for 3 years, and have been performing (singing, dancing, playing the piano) for 20 years and STILL get butterflies. For me it comes from a fear of judgement; that everyone up there is constantly critiquing me. I know that's not the case, but it gets me every time. I feed off the butterflies, thought. Harness the energy, make it work for you. Put that energy into humor ("Whoops, that tomato really doesn't want to die today!") or into getting the guests involved. I've been making my shows less demo, more Q&A. Having someone ask me questions about the products instead of feeling like being on display or putting on a show makes my butteflies calm down a bit.

HTH!

It has definately gotten better with time, but my first few shows (well, Okay, maybe first TEN shows) I was so nervous that my voice actually shook! You know, when you can't even swallow you are so nervous!! Thank God that has gone away. Still, I usually go to the bathroom once I have all of my stuff unpacked and say a prayer to help calm my nerves.

I also agree that I am less self conscious when I am answering questions from the guests during my demo than when I am just up there alone talking and talking. When that happens, I really feel like they all must be bored stiff! I really enjoy those crowds that interact with me a lot.

I found that once I could stop thinking about the recipe (which comes with practice and making a recipe a few times) that I could focus on having FUN!

Good luck!

I actually get nervous doing shows for people I know! I do better at shows where I don't know anyone - even when the Host is "new" to me. I just feel like my close friends and family see me differently when I'm "working" and I feel weird. Like they are watching my every move. My sister made a comment to me privately once about "you shouldn't have touched the lettuce with your hands" - and that was at my 3rd show, so I've been so nervous about that since then. And my friends feel they can be honest/make comments that are tough to take sometimes! I PREFER strangers! And they always say "you were the best consultant, etc"
Joanne

Whew....I'm glad everyone gets like that! I agree with ChefMommyinOC. I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm not shy and I love the attention but I think mine is also fear of judgment and negative critics! Thanks for the reassurance!

I do the music in the car thing too! That usually psyches me up!

How does everyone handle a noisy group? I find I too have the jitters and try my hardest to work through them, but lastnights (my 6th) show was a bunch of yappers!!! I try to just keep going, but I find it makes me very nervous. I also feel more comfortable with strangers! Strange, huh?
Leah

lost control?
pcleah said:
How does everyone handle a noisy group? I find I too have the jitters and try my hardest to work through them, but lastnights (my 6th) show was a bunch of yappers!!! I try to just keep going, but I find it makes me very nervous. I also feel more comfortable with strangers! Strange, huh?
Leah

Here's an idea I got from my director. When things get out of control she stops and starts looking around on the table, under the table, in her crate, bag and what ever else she can find; with that confused look on her face. Someone always says "what are you looking for" and she replies, "control, I seemed to have lost it a few minutes back". Everyone laughs and the show goes on. Try it what do you have to lose :D

Last edited:
Thanks Chef Diane, that is great!
I get massive migraines the day before my shows, and it sucks!
I am all drugged up and then try to reverse it w/ starbucks, and am sick by the time I get to the shows.
I hate dealing w/ noisey bunches that I can't get a handle on.

1. What is "Oh, the Butterflies......"?

"Oh, the Butterflies......" is a set of butterfly-shaped cookie cutters that can be used to create fun and unique designs on cookies, pastries, and other baked goods.

2. How many cookie cutters come in the set?

The set includes five different-sized butterfly-shaped cookie cutters, allowing you to create a variety of sizes and designs.

3. Are the cookie cutters dishwasher safe?

Yes, the cookie cutters are made of durable, dishwasher-safe stainless steel for easy cleaning.

4. Can these cookie cutters be used for other purposes besides baking?

Absolutely! These versatile cookie cutters can also be used for crafting, such as making clay or fondant butterflies for decorations or party favors.

5. Can I purchase "Oh, the Butterflies......" as a gift?

Yes, this set makes a great gift for any baking or crafting enthusiast. It comes in a stylish gift box for easy gifting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefshawna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mscharf
  • pamperedkel
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies