• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oh My... We Are Sooooo Snowed In!!

to me!! Luckily my electric wires are buried:)! They are also calling for us to get a storm Saturday night into Sunday:)!
MissChef
Gold Member
Spokane was smacked hard in the last 36 hours!! We have received over 4 feet of snow at my house.... maybe more.... started yesterday morning and did not stop steadily snowing until 1 hour ago! about 250 crashes since yesterday morning... they shut our town down!! city hall.... buses... trash pickup... even the mall!!! there were spin outs and cars that were stuck everywhere.... the area I live in is the "south hill" and we got hit the hardest... they were requiring driving with chains... if you didn't have 4 wheel drive! The snow is over my son's hips.. he's 5'6"! just crazy! I'm not done shopping and I need to get to the grocery store too! I also need to make it to the bank tomorrow! yikes!:rolleyes:

Holy cow! We have ice right now.

Wow! I can't even imagine that...

Stay safe and warm :)

Wow, sounds like a bad blizzard we had in 1978!

They are calling for us to get ice tonight - even worse then snow to me!! Luckily my electric wires are buried:)! They are also calling for us to get a storm Saturday night into Sunday!

I just finished my shopping today:)!

Last edited:
we've had temps that were -6... wind chill -20 and lots of ice! Up until yesterday.... tomorrow we are suppossed to have the temps drop again.... Saturday's high is only suppossed to be 5..... low -10.... 2 more snow storms... they are predicting by Christmas! Ughhh.... I feel a tantrum coming on.... snow days are not what I needed right now... the kids are home and in my face and I needed more time to get more presents and wrap them! wahhhhh! :cry::cry::grumpy:

don't get me wrong.... I want my kids home and safe then out there and in danger... but I just wanted them to complete their week at school so I could get stuff accomplished around here!
we got a heat wave the last 2 days.... it made it to 20 degrees.... already dropping to 13 right now!:grumpy::rolleyes:

Ha ha- I have to laugh because we live in Northern Michigan and they don't ever plow unless we have 8-10 inches of snow... and I'm from Virginia- so driving in the snow is not my forte. I still think school should be cancelled for 4 inches of snow... Set the kids up with a good Christmas movie and snacks- shut the door and get your wrapping done!

Bluiydangl said:
Ha ha- I have to laugh because we live in Northern Michigan and they don't ever plow unless we have 8-10 inches of snow... and I'm from Virginia- so driving in the snow is not my forte. I still think school should be cancelled for 4 inches of snow... Set the kids up with a good Christmas movie and snacks- shut the door and get your wrapping done!

Confession time!!! I don't even have wrapping paper.... was going to go today.... ! I wasn't procrastinating.... I just was waiting for my hubby's next check! this is too crazy! My hubby has 4 wheel drive and studded snow tires... he didn't get stuck today when he had to go get oil and gas for the snow blower.... he has to go back to work tomorrow though and may have to work some of the weekend.... especially after being made to stay home today... the cops were closing our city streets and begging us to stay home!... he told me tonight... that if he has to... he will take me out every night until I'm done... grocery store and all! I need to go get my prime rib for our christmas dinner... it's tradition!!! I want it to be fresh... so he will be playing my taxi cab a lot!
He's a good man and I'm lucky! :love:;)
I just don't like the idea of being stranded tomorrow until he comes home!!! My car is low to the ground so it will be hard to go anywhere... unless they get the plows into my area! I hope so!..... we won't be going out tomorrow night to shop though... his company party is still on... so we are going to that....
Wish me luck and say a prayer!!

-- Breathe!!!
christmas doesn't have to be all tied pretty in a bow! You will get everything done- and when you don't get done will be just fine!! :)
Enjoy the snow while you have it... I have a Love/Hate relationship with snow... :)

Hey, you can always use newspaper to wrap presents:)! My Grandmother always used the funnies - much more of a memory for me:)!!

pampchefrhondab said:
Wow, sounds like a bad blizzard we had in 1978!

They are calling for us to get ice tonight - even worse then snow to me!! Luckily my electric wires are buried:)! They are also calling for us to get a storm Saturday night into Sunday!

I just finished my shopping today:)!

I remember that blizzard in '78, I lived in Racine. The snow was up to the top of our 6' fence.

Cathy - stay safe and warm!

It was -15 be me this a.m...now it is tolerable.

Its just started with the rain/ice/snow mixture here. They are calling for 1/3 inch of ice and up to 8 or 9 inches of snow. I'm not looking forward to that, I can't even imagine 4 ft!

We are only supposed to get the rain/ice/sleet mixture, and then tomorrow it should warm up. I am not looking forward to tonight. Our last storm left us with many people off the roads and 6 people dead from traffic accidents.

well the weather channel is calling for wintry mix followed by up to a foot of snow in the chicago NW burbs. i just hope it is under control by sunday. i am going downtown to sing in a do it yourself handel's messiah. i have wanted to do this for 20 years and finally got my act together.

i cannot imagine 4 feet of snow....how do you even get out of the house? i'd have to shovel a path for my dogs!

Cat, take a deep breath and relax. Everything will be ok, even if the presents aren't wrapped and you serve prime rib another day (let me know, I'll be there). Blizzards are an act of God....and so was the first Christmas!

susanr613 said:
Blizzards are an act of God....and so was the first Christmas!

Well said Susan!!

Bluiydangl said:

You must not be from the mountains of Virginia like I am or you would know how to drive in snow. Even still - I don't like it. But I would love to see some snow.........lots of snow. But not when I have shows scheduled, so if it's gonna do it, do it now because I am working on having a full January.:chef:

susanr613 said:
well the weather channel is calling for wintry mix followed by up to a foot of snow in the chicago NW burbs. i just hope it is under control by sunday. i am going downtown to sing in a do it yourself handel's messiah. i have wanted to do this for 20 years and finally got my act together.

i cannot imagine 4 feet of snow....how do you even get out of the house? i'd have to shovel a path for my dogs!

Cat, take a deep breath and relax. Everything will be ok, even if the presents aren't wrapped and you serve prime rib another day (let me know, I'll be there). Blizzards are an act of God....and so was the first Christmas!

Has it started by you??? Here in Geneva there is nothing so far. Who knows what's in store after midnight!! I would think things will be ok by Sunday. I hope so!! I hope even by Saturday because it's my son's birthday party.

pcsharon1 said:
You must not be from the mountains of Virginia like I am or you would know how to drive in snow. Even still - I don't like it. But I would love to see some snow.........lots of snow. But not when I have shows scheduled, so if it's gonna do it, do it now because I am working on having a full January.:chef:

well I am from Fredericksburg originally- and we also lived in christiansburg for 1 1/2 years. But neither place saw the snow I see now!!

Once. I would love to experience a storm like that once. I'm sure it has to be neat to watch it. But if I was in your position of needing to get out then I am sure I wouldn't be too happy about it either.

We are to get 6 to 9 inches here today by 6pm. My BF is all excited. He LOVES to plow the snow. I will tolerate the snow as long as I am at home and not driving. I will be at work all day, but thankfully we have a parking garage!!

Last day of school cancelled here due to potential upcoming snow. Nothing at all here yet. The kids were supposed to have parties, an afternoon dance, and secret santa. I could drop them off on the way to work but it's a 98 percent bussed school so there wouldn't be anyone there anyway.

We had the blizzard of '93 in March,here in the south. I will never forget that. We had just moved back to TN from Boston. It snowed about 2 feet and the city was closed down for over a week.

Cathy, I hope you stay safe and warm! I am so glad that I moved south. I do not miss the snow (well, I do miss the first major storms of the season, but I can't stand it sticking around for the entire winter). Here in North Carolina, 1" of snow shuts everything down!

That is a lot of snow! Hopefully they'll clear it soon so you can finish your things. I know how you feel, kind of; I still have shoppin/wrapping to do also.

We had about 3 inches the other day, & last night had some ice. Of course, our schools rarely cancel, so here we are getting ready...

cat - i saw spokane on the news this morning! & i have a friend stuck at spokane international right now trying to get over here. im on the westside & i feel like weve got it pretty bad too! although - the roads were much better today than yesterday. we're going up to mt rainier for the weekend & with the storm they are predicting over here on the westside, im nervous we'll be stuck on the mountain.

It was 80 degrees here today! :D
I wish it would snow!!!!:cry:

leahevanson said:

i have a friend who is working in FL right now & he was telling me how hot he is right now! as im bundled up in my scarf & snow boots. grrrrrr. we rarely even hit 80 degrees in the summer time!

We got socked with a bunch of snow, rain and sleet. It looks like it is still snowing. All I know is that I got a call this am and I didn't have to go into work!!!! Yippppppeeee a snow day. Got my fundraiser all sorted out, and am going to make marinara sauce and rum balls! Wierd combination, but I need both for gifts.

We are starting to get hit in northern NY now. I have to get going and go home. It's getting bad.:(

No snow here--just ice and freezing rain. We have about 3/8 inch of ice covering everything. Power was out from 5:30 a.m. to 12:35. The temp is rising, though, so everything's beginning to melt off.

thecougchef said:
cat - i saw spokane on the news this morning! & i have a friend stuck at spokane international right now trying to get over here. im on the westside & i feel like weve got it pretty bad too! although - the roads were much better today than yesterday. we're going up to mt rainier for the weekend & with the storm they are predicting over here on the westside, im nervous we'll be stuck on the mountain.

This morning on my way to work I slid off the road three times, but I made it. :eek: My oldest DS was with me, because he hasn't had school for the last three days. Not fun!

We received 3 inches of snow last night in less than an hour. We have about a foot at my house.

They are predicting much worse condition's starting Saturday evening into Tuesday morning. Thank goodness I am almost done with my shopping and I only have to work on Monday next week.

Stay safe and warm!

See, this is one of the many reasons I get all of the shopping and stuff done early. Here in north-central Indiana you never know what kind of weather you might have in December.

I just noticed in the crawl across the bottom of my television screen that that they have a number to call to report outages to the Indiana & Michigan Power & Light Company. Um, how are you supposed to see that if your power is out?

leahevanson said:

honey I agree!!
this 80 degree weather has got to stop.

just looked at the forecast for Christmas - 82 degrees and 30% chance of rain.

Last edited:
We have 4 inches here in Ellensburg, WA. No school late starts or closers. Last year we had more snow by this time and we just keep going. I have to laugh at the other cities around us that close or are running on late starts, it would have to be a lot worst for us to close down.

PCJen said:
We have 4 inches here in Ellensburg, WA. No school late starts or closers. Last year we had more snow by this time and we just keep going. I have to laugh at the other cities around us that close or are running on late starts, it would have to be a lot worst for us to close down.

Yeah, in Spokane they've only closed us down twice since I've had kids in school and my oldest is in Jr High.... and both times were in 2008! Each time has been because the storms produced at least 3 feet of snow... and then when they plow... it piles up so much that it becomes more like 4-6 feet of snow burms... they made the decision to close down for the safety of the kids... drivers can't see the kids until it's too late and same with the kids...they can't see the drivers... no one can see over the snow burms.
Our latest update.... we woke up today and it was -13! Warming up tomorrow to 18 and suppossed to get up to 9 inches more!:rolleyes: not tickled by this news... but that's okay... my hubby's truck does great in this snow and I'm not stranded for too long!:thumbup:;)

I lived in Spokane, on the "south hill" for 2 years, and am very glad I am back in Arizona. I understand your fustration with the wintry weather. Hang in there!

Linda C.

Tonight they are calling for rain with temps down to 30 so I hope to wake up with snow!

Stay Safe and warm, if you get bored there's alwayssock puppets and flashlights!

We have more than 1 1/2 feet. I've never seen this much in my life! We're still snowing with an estimate of 6 more inches tonight turning to freezing rain. We have chains, so we've gotten out. I got a lot done around the house this week. They closed school all week. Tomorrow nobody should be going anywhere with the amount we have. I'm making all those calls I've been putting off. I feel your cold! At least we've been able to leave. We drove across town to get Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza tonight. They were closed when I came to pick up my "called in pizza". They were waiting until I got there. They were closing 2 hours early, since not many were traveling for pizza in almost 2 feet of snow.

I am hoping we dont get as much snow as we did last yr. It was crazy.

We are supposed to get 3-5 inches tonight then 2-3 inches tomorrow and another 1-2 inches Sunday night on top of our 4 inches we already have. So glad the kids are out of school for Christmas now. How is Spokane looking Cat?

It seems like there is a bunch of 'extreme' wintery weather across the US these days. In the past week alone, we have had 3 days, mornings, here at my house that have been in the -20's (coldest was -27)...with a windchill in the -40's to -50's and that is dang cold! We also have snow...not 4 feet tho.
I used to live in Spokane...on the South Hill and I can remember how a few inches affected traffic then...can't imagine what 4 feet would do. However I'm not surprised by your traffic accident count! View it as an adventure...you are safe, warm and have a few groceries to get you thru it...it'll be something you remember and talk about for years!!!

We are snowed in here in West Michigan too! We got 11 inches on Friday, and then last night, another 6, and could get 4-8 more inches today. But it's the blowing and drifting that is really bad. Plus - they are only clearing the main roads, so people are getting stuck on the side streets.

DH just called me to tell me not to try attempt church this morning. He had to be there at 8am, and said that there was no way I'd make it w/o 4wd. All the other churches in the area have cancelled morning services - but our church has a no-cancellation policy.

OK everyone - where are the pictures of this stuff???

We have had a little bit of snow - my daughter made this snowman with what we did have - she used two screws for eyes - the thing of the of trees for the hat and two more for arms

I LOVE snow - some people say that I am crazy (YES - they know me very well) but think about it - there are only a few ways of staying cool but there are LOTS of ways to staying warm.

Just my opinion

:chef:

Attachments

• 101_0820.jpg
    101_0820.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Cute snowman! I guess I should go out and get them some snow....

My boys wanna go out and play so bad but with the temps so cold (-22 on 12/21...4th a.m. now below 0) it's killing them to have to stay inside. We came home from school the other day and they were all decked out in their snow suits and got outta the car. "Mom, can we play outside?" they ask, so while I made my 2 trips of groceries, they stomped around in the snow a little and were MORE than willing to come inside...in fact I didn't even ask them too. They figure out what mom had been telling them was in fact true. IT"S COLD!

I forgot to add that we are keeping this snowman in our freezer because if we didn't it would have melted within a hour after making it - the temp in the afternoon was 54

:chef:

PCJen said:
We are supposed to get 3-5 inches tonight then 2-3 inches tomorrow and another 1-2 inches Sunday night on top of our 4 inches we already have. So glad the kids are out of school for Christmas now. How is Spokane looking Cat?

Spokane is a freakin mess!!!!:grumpy::cry: We have so much dang snow!! Another foot at the airport but at my house easily another 1 1/2 feet! With another big system coming in on Christmas eve.... we went out yesterday and I got most of my shopping done but I need 2-3 more gifts i want for my hubby... I'm thinking if i can't get out tomorrow then i'll wait for him to come home and he can drive me for his presents!!! LOL!
They plowed our street Saturday in the early morning hours and it's already so bad that all the cars are getting stuck trying to get up the hill in front of my house... i haven't even tried... I'm nervous to do so.... i'm so sick of snow! The snow burms are so high you can't see our van in the street!!.... and it is still so freakin cold.... 5 degrees when i woke up this morning.... the airport has so many cancellations and everyone is so upset!
oh well..... i guess i have no excuse but to bake and wrap presents!
pray i can get out please... i do have a few errands i'd love to do... later today when the snow stops!!:angel:

Wow Cat that's a lot of snow. We now have about 8-10 inches on the ground here and 10-16 degrees. My poor husband has to work, try to work, out in this too. We're in construction so with the way things are for us right now he doesn't have a choice, he has to work when the work is there. We are just happy to have work, many others in construction in our area do not. So glad we don't have the snow you have because everything would come to a stop then. Try to stay warm and don't stress over the other gifts you still don't have for everyone, they should understand. As for the hubby's gift I'm sure he would like a little something special in the bedroom. I can't believe I just said that to you!:eek: Oh well it's true our guys love a surprise like that.:love: Check out The Generous Wife for great christen tips for married couples. There is also one for husbands too.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Well, I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert and it snowed the other day! We get a lot of rain every now and then but this whole snow this is just out right WRONG!!!! We live here because I HATE the snow!!! It snowed almost 24 hours and then it melted with in two days! They day it snowed the Marine Corps shut down the whole base! Hubby made me a snow family in our front yard... I love him so much...

Attachments

• Dec172008Snowfamily.jpg
    Dec172008Snowfamily.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 263

1. How much snow did Spokane receive in the last 36 hours?

Spokane received over 4 feet of snow, possibly even more, within the last 36 hours.

2. How many crashes have occurred in Spokane since yesterday morning?

There have been about 250 crashes in Spokane since yesterday morning.

3. How has the city of Spokane been affected by the snow?

The city of Spokane has been greatly impacted by the snow, with closures of city hall, buses, trash pickup, and even the mall.

4. What areas of Spokane were hit the hardest by the snow?

The "south hill" area of Spokane received the most snow and was hit the hardest.

5. What precautions were put in place for driving in Spokane during this snowstorm?

Drivers were required to have chains or 4-wheel drive to safely navigate the roads during the snowstorm.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• whiteyteresa
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • naekelsey
  • General Chat
Replies