• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Not Political - but Are You Registered to Vote?

), but also for Congressional and state races.Then go to your state's website and look at the requirements to vote, like identification and whatnot. You can also look up your polling place and find out what time the polls close.I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old. My Dad always said you have no right to complain about politics if you don't vote.I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old. My Dad always said you have no right to complain about politics if you don't vote.
chefann
Gold Member
I don't want this to turn into a political debate (and will, in fact, delete the thread if that happens).

Are you registered to vote? Some states have a deadline of October 4, many others have a deadline of October 6. That's only a couple days from now.

You can get info about your state's registration deadlines and requirements by entering your address at http://maps.google.com/maps/mpl?moduleurl=http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/mapplets/elections/2008/us-voter-info/us-voter-info.xml.

Many thousands of people, both military and civilians, died to secure and protect our right to vote. Not doing so is like returning a gift unopened. Don't minimize their sacrifice - register and then get out and vote.

I am registered and plan on voting. I have already made sure my husband has an absentee ballot as well.

I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old. My Dad always said you have no right to complain about politics if you don't vote.

The site that I linked to in the first post will give you links to your state's election info when you put in your address. Those sites (the states') usually include info about requirements to vote, locations, and sample ballots. Check them out!!

Chef Michelle D said:
I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old. My Dad always said you have no right to complain about politics if you don't vote.

Me too, I remember we registered in gov't class in high school senior year.

Thanks Ann for the info. I am registered to vote but my DH has yet to register. Hopefully he will get away tomorrow to go and register.

sad to say i am registered, have been since i was 18, i have NEVER voted... i always feel so out of the loop and don't know where to turn to try and just get the facts of this person wants to do xyz, this person wants to do xyz and here are the records on where they stand with past stuff, you know what i mean.. come election day i feel like since i don't have any clue shouldn't vote cuz i'm not informed. i know it's not required, but i feel like i should be...

princessmeshelle said:
sad to say i am registered, have been since i was 18, i have NEVER voted... i always feel so out of the loop and don't know where to turn to try and just get the facts of this person wants to do xyz, this person wants to do xyz and here are the records on where they stand with past stuff, you know what i mean.. come election day i feel like since i don't have any clue shouldn't vote cuz i'm not informed. i know it's not required, but i feel like i should be...

Dont feel bad I have only voted for the president

i just changed my address because ive always been registered at my parents address. so ive always had to vote in their district - even though i havent lived there since i have been able to vote.

i've been a registered voter ever since i was 18 and have voted in every presidential primary and election. i am getting better at the interim and local elections.

you better believe i'm voting this one too :)

ann, thank you for making it clear you will delete the thread if it gets political

michelle, go to each candidate's website to look up their platforms. i'm sure you can go to any news website and search for their activities in government (for example bills sponsored, voting record).

Chef Michelle D said:
I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old.

Same here!!

Yes, I'm registered to vote & in fact will be an election judge this year. I'm excited b/c I think it will be a very busy year for polling places!

I was a fill-in judge in the primaries & it was interesting. This time, I have to go to judge's school to make sure that I know all of the policies (voting ones, that is). I'll most likely vote absentee at the school.

But, of course, darling! :)

crystalscookingnow said:
Yes, I'm registered to vote & in fact will be an election judge this year. I'm excited b/c I think it will be a very busy year for polling places!

I was a fill-in judge in the primaries & it was interesting. This time, I have to go to judge's school to make sure that I know all of the policies (voting ones, that is). I'll most likely vote absentee at the school.
I'm a "poll watcher". It's my third time, and second time in a presidential election.

Check your state's site for sample ballots. I was able to look at one for my precinct, and now have a list of names for doing some research. Not just for the presidential vote (although there are 6 candidates on the ballot for that one), but for the other races, too.It's always a good idea to double-check that you're still registered, too. The local station I've got on just had a teaser for the 5 o'clock news and a story that the Michigan Secretary of State un-registered several thousand voters illegally.

Make sure your polling place didn't move. Mine moved, and I forgot. I showed up at the wrong place, but it really wasn't a big deal. It was a minor election, but if it were to happen for this election, that's a lot of waiting in line, twice.

I am registered, and already signed up for an absentee ballot, just in case I go into labor or have just had my baby around the time of Election day!! I did NOT want to miss out on voting this time around! It should be interesting...I have never done an absentee ballot, nor knew of anyone who had to do that, so I have never seen one!

KellyTheChef said:
I am registered, and already signed up for an absentee ballot, just in case I go into labor or have just had my baby around the time of Election day!! I did NOT want to miss out on voting this time around! It should be interesting...I have never done an absentee ballot, nor knew of anyone who had to do that, so I have never seen one!

ive never voted any other way because ive never lived in my voting precinct (the only presidential election i have been old enough to vote in was the last one -bush v kerry- & i was in college ... living 300 miles away). so im excited to go to a polling place for the first time!!

U Betcha!!It really irks me when women say they are not registered .... hello ... do you realize that many of our GRANDMOTHERS were born in an era when they did not have that right? Our great-grandmothers fought for their right to vote just so we can ignore it!I registered when I turned 18.My "favorite" political commercial is where a woman goes on a rant about how the "partisan" secretary of our state is allowing early voting and noting that celebrities are organizing the vote in cities and on college campus. She is aghast and admits that she hasn't voted before but now she is. Well, good for her for FINALLY getting off her duff and voting! I always say, "Don't you worry, honey ... I'm voting, just not the way you want me to!"

This may be a dumb question & I feel like I should know the answer. When you move addresses, do you have to re-register? I have been registered to vote since I was 18. When I got married, I updated my name & address. That was over 6 years ago & we've since bought a house & moved (same county, different city). I have voted during all the previous presidential elections I've been eligible for, so the last one was 4 years ago. Right now I think it's still under my old address. I just had a small panic attack that I'd go to vote next month & they'd say I can't. Anyone know? I've looked online, but haven't found much (& it's after 5:00 here in Texas, so I can't call anyone until tomorrow). TIA!

Yes, you need to re-register if you move. The website that I linked to in the first post will link you to additional information when you enter your address.

erin.tpc said:
This may be a dumb question & I feel like I should know the answer. When you move addresses, do you have to re-register? I have been registered to vote since I was 18. When I got married, I updated my name & address. That was over 6 years ago & we've since bought a house & moved (same county, different city). I have voted during all the previous presidential elections I've been eligible for, so the last one was 4 years ago. Right now I think it's still under my old address. I just had a small panic attack that I'd go to vote next month & they'd say I can't. Anyone know? I've looked online, but haven't found much (& it's after 5:00 here in Texas, so I can't call anyone until tomorrow). TIA!

i was registered at my parents address & so my absentee ballot (or polling place) was in their precinct. update your address & youll be able to vote in your precinct/district for issues that affect your precinct/district.

Thanks ladies! :D

YES - have never missed an election, even when we were overseas.

Often you can vote at the Board of Elections. Contact them if you have any questions about your registration status. You may have to file a provisional ballot ... and you may be able to vote absentee to avoid the lines.

My first election (age 18) was by absentee ballot since I was away at college.

Ann, can you turn this into a yes/no poll? Then can you tell me how to create polls? I've wanted to on occasion but didn't know how...

I have always voted, and always will. I love being able to vote. I just talked my DH into registering to vote 4 years ago. I think it is a privilege we shouldn't take for granted.

Yep-since I was 18. I've voted in every election since. We now live in an area that is absentee ballot only. I really miss driving to the polling booth! I enjoyed getting in line with everyone and it gave me a feeling of comraderie with all those there. Dropping an envelope in the mailbox just doesn't feel the same! (I know-I can drive my envelope to the polling place-did it the first election and now I just mail it.)

I registered & I took my husband to change his address at the courthouse. This will be the first time either of us has voted for the president. I wasn't old enough last time and he really had no desire to vote. We're both so excited & proud to be voting in such an important election for such an amazing country, UNDER GOD!

Not only am I registered, I have my card in my wallet to prove it!And yet never once have I ever been asked to show it :)To all of my fellow denizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia... register by MONDAY! Thanks for the links, Ann, and the reminder we can check out sample ballots ahead of time. I always seem to get blindsided by some proposition or another at the polls.

KateD said:
Not only am I registered, I have my card in my wallet to prove it!

And yet never once have I ever been asked to show it :)

To all of my fellow denizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia... register by MONDAY! Thanks for the links, Ann, and the reminder we can check out sample ballots ahead of time. I always seem to get blindsided by some proposition or another at the polls.

I never have been either - until this August. Because of Voter Fraud, at least around here they are cracking down, and I had to show photo ID, and my registration - and then they manually checked it against a list. The guy in front of me wasn't on the list, and they took him into another room. Finally realized he was in the wrong precinct.
I'm fine with all that, except that it took longer to vote.

my boyfriends dad - who will be 65 this month - just registered to vote for the first time on friday. hes been able to vote for 47 years. thats 11 presidential elections & a lifetime of history he hasnt participated in! its shocking to me. but im proud of him for doing it before our deadline!

1. When is the deadline to register to vote?

The deadline to register to vote varies by state, with some states having a deadline of October 4 and others having a deadline of October 6.

2. How can I find out the registration deadline and requirements for my state?

You can enter your address at http://maps.google.com/maps/mpl?moduleurl=http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/mapplets/elections/2008/us-voter-info/us-voter-info.xml to get information about your state's registration deadline and requirements.

3. Why is it important to register to vote?

Registering to vote allows you to exercise your right to participate in the democratic process and have a say in the decisions that affect your community and country.

4. What happens if I don't register to vote?

If you are not registered to vote, you will not be able to cast a ballot in any elections, including local, state, and national elections.

5. Can I still register to vote if I miss the deadline?

In most states, you will not be able to register to vote after the deadline has passed. It is important to register before the deadline to ensure that you can participate in upcoming elections.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back