• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Non-Stick Knives: What's the Coating?

In summary, silicone is what the color coated knives are coated with to make them non-stick. Some people take this stuff just a tad too far and can't even cook with the knives because they are toxic if heated to high temperatures.
beckypchef
I've had an interesting question that I don't know and can't find the answer too::confused:

Does anyone know what the color coated knives are coated with to make them non-stick? I have a customer that is very careful about using teflon and similar products and I'm guessing it's something like that but not 100% sure.

Thanks!!

beckypchef said:
I've had an interesting question that I don't know and can't find the answer too::confused:

Does anyone know what the color coated knives are coated with to make them non-stick? I have a customer that is very careful about using teflon and similar products and I'm guessing it's something like that but not 100% sure.

Thanks!!

It's silicone. But even if it was teflon - they aren't cooking with them - so they aren't being heated to temps that would make them toxic. Some people take this stuff just a tad too far. :rolleyes: ( I know you are just trying to answer a question for a customer - NOT directed at you!)

Thanks!! Becky

ChefBeckyD said:
It's silicone. But even if it was teflon - they aren't cooking with them - so they aren't being heated to temps that would make them toxic. Some people take this stuff just a tad too far. :rolleyes: ( I know you are just trying to answer a question for a customer - NOT directed at you!)
My thoughts exactly... Interestingly enough these people may do other far more dangerous things... :)

^ No doubt. These are the same people who light a cigarette after they leave the party LOL.

TheChaoticCook said:
^ No doubt. These are the same people who light a cigarette after they leave the party LOL.

That is SOOOO funny! I just had a show Saturday - with almost all smokers, and they were all wondering if the pans were teflon.:confused: :D :rolleyes:

Me, musing to myself: "So, you think that the potential fumes from a teflon pan are going to be able to make it through the fog of smoke you are living in? Yeah, you certainly wouldn't want cookware that, if heated for an extended period of time, at an extremely high heat, could do some damage to your lungs."

:D :D :D :D :D

What is the coating on non-stick knives made of?

The coating on non-stick knives is typically made of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), also known as Teflon, which is a synthetic fluoropolymer.

Is the coating on non-stick knives safe for food consumption?

Yes, the PTFE coating on non-stick knives is considered safe for food consumption. It is non-toxic and does not react with food.

How does the non-stick coating on knives help with food preparation?

The non-stick coating on knives helps to prevent food from sticking to the blade, making it easier to slice and chop ingredients without them sticking to the knife. This also makes clean-up easier.

Can the non-stick coating on knives be damaged?

Yes, the non-stick coating on knives can be damaged if not properly cared for. It is important to avoid using metal utensils on the blade, as well as cutting on hard surfaces that can scratch the coating.

How do I maintain the non-stick coating on my knives?

To maintain the non-stick coating on your knives, it is recommended to hand wash them with warm water and mild soap. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as they can damage the coating. Additionally, store your knives in a knife block or sheath to protect the coating from scratches.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Rosechef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • kltaylo
  • Products and Tips
Replies