• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

No Thanks! Overcoming Intimidation & Cooking Seafood

I did the coconut shrimp from the Good for You cookbook, and used three sauces for it (it was my first time doing it). The original recipe called for a dill mayonnaise, a mango chutney, and a spicy mango sauce, but I just used a mango chutney and a spicy mango sauce. They were a huge hit!
beepampered
A female guest last night said she could probably get her dh (the cook of the family) to host a show if I could show a good seafood recipe. I HATE seafood and am not a good cook so am not thrilled at this proposal. I am intimated by people who actually know how to cook, have never done a show with more than one token male and get nasous (I'm seven months pregnant) at the thought of touching seafood. Needless to say, I think I should let this one go but at the same time think you ChefSuccessers can help me come up with some good ideas to make this work. Thanks for any suggestions.

I've done a shrimp pizza at a show. It was in one of the old, now discontinued cookbooks. In a nutshell, it was a crescent roll crust, spread with cream cheese, which was then topped with cocktail sauce, cooked and peeled shrimp (cold) and green onion.You could do a more traditional demo and just add seafood to it, like Creamy One Pot Pasta, and add grilled shrimp or salmon to it.

Shrimp on the grill (if they have one?) using the grill basket. Seafood with an element most guys love (the grill)...

chefann said:
I've done a shrimp pizza at a show. It was in one of the old, now discontinued cookbooks. In a nutshell, it was a crescent roll crust, spread with cream cheese, which was then topped with cocktail sauce, cooked and peeled shrimp (cold) and green onion.

You could do a more traditional demo and just add seafood to it, like Creamy One Pot Pasta, and add grilled shrimp or salmon to it.
I was thinking the same thing with the one pot pasta and shrimp! Great minds think alike! :)

There is a recipe for shrimp & linguine in the It's Good For You cookbook that is sooooo good! It's a family favorite! It uses a good amount of tools too.

ChefBeckyD said:
There is a recipe for shrimp & linguine in the It's Good For You cookbook that is sooooo good! It's a family favorite! It uses a good amount of tools too.
YUMMO! I need to go find that! Might be good with clam sauce. My mom used to make that and I haven't had that in years!!!

I did the talapia recipe last night from the Hooked on Fish cards. Easy and Yummy! On a side note: from the title of your post before I opened it, my first thought was "huh? a post about male fish? what about em?". LOL. Time for my morning coffee

Make it an interactive show---this way you can avoid having to touch the seafood/cooking it. I would tell the host ahead of time that seafood bothers you because you are pregnant, but off the interactive demo!

Salmon Fillets with Creamy Dill
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
2 teaspoons dried dill, or to taste
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a bowl, stir together mayonnaise and mustard. Stir in thyme, oregano, and basil. Place salmon fillets on a baking sheet, and spread with the mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle with dill weed.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the salmon is easily flaked with a fork.
turns out great..

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Crabmeat
INGREDIENTS
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper
4 ounces fresh Dungeness crabmeat
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, onion, parsley, dill, garlic and lemon pepper. Add crabmeat and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill in refrigerator (can be prepared 2 hours ahead).
Using a small sharp knife, cut in half horizontally through the center of each chicken breast half, creating a pocket. Fill each pocket with 1/4 of the crab stuffing. Then dip each chicken piece into flour, eggs and finally bread crumbs to coat. Cover completely.
In a large skillet melt butter or margarine with oil over medium heat. Add filled, breaded chicken breast halves to skillet and saute until golden brown and cooked through (juices run clear), about 10 minutes each side. Remove from skillet, drain on paper towels and serve.

these are great with little work

I used to offer Sizzling Coconut Shrimp Cakes and it was always a huge hit!

Coconut ShrimpI did the coconut shrimp from the Good for You cookbook, and used three sauces for it (it was my first show too:eek: ) - it's yummy and easy. Also, play up the fact that you are pregnant and don't like handling the seafood - force the "interactive show" on them and blame it on your hormones! :D If you want my recipe for all the sauces I did for the shrimp, email me at [email protected].

While your guests are peeling, dredging and coating the shrimp, you can make the Triple Citrus Mojitos to go with it! A sure fire hit! Enjoy!

I Totally Forgot!I got this idea from one of my new consultants on my team, and it is fabulous! Make the BBQ sauce from the Sweet & Smoky BBQ Rub (from the pork tenderloin recipe). Brush it onto salmon on cedar planks and BBQ. It is AMAZING!!!!!!!

What about a crab dip... with shrimp cocktail in the trifle bowl displayed to look like the display card! I am highly allergic to seafood so I would have had to say sorry can't help ya...

I would also make sure no one has a shellfish allergy also. I would be disappointed if I showed up to a party and I couldnt eat anything!

Bee, I agree with everyone else - keep it interactive (and, with guys, that's almost certainly the best way to go!). One thing that comes to mind - if you get queasy at the thought of touching seafood, I'm wondering if the smell of it cooking would affect you the same way. If so, definitely consider shrimp cocktail or grilled shrimp, or anything where the seafood doesn't have to be cooked indoors.

Becky, would you mind posting the recipe for the shrimp and linquine? That sounds good!

Sarah

1. Can you give some tips for overcoming intimidation when cooking seafood?

One of the best tips for overcoming intimidation when cooking seafood is to start with simple recipes and work your way up to more complex ones. Additionally, always make sure to properly clean and prepare your seafood before cooking to ensure the best flavor and texture. Finally, don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from experienced cooks or seafood experts.

2. How do I know if seafood is fresh?

When buying seafood, there are a few signs to look for to determine if it is fresh. The first is the appearance - it should be shiny and have a mild ocean smell. The eyes of fish should be clear, not cloudy, and the gills should be bright red. You can also ask the fishmonger when the seafood was caught or delivered to the store.

3. What is the best way to cook different types of seafood?

The best way to cook seafood depends on the type of seafood you are working with. Generally, delicate fish like tilapia or sole are best cooked by pan-frying or baking, while heartier fish like salmon or tuna can be grilled or broiled. Shellfish like shrimp or scallops are great for sautéing or grilling. It's important to research and follow specific recipes for each type of seafood to ensure the best results.

4. How do I prevent seafood from becoming overcooked?

Seafood can easily become overcooked, resulting in a tough and rubbery texture. To prevent this, it's important to monitor the cooking time and use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the seafood. For fish, a general rule is to cook for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Additionally, don't overcrowd the pan when cooking seafood to allow for even heat distribution.

5. Can you recommend any beginner-friendly seafood recipes?

Some easy and delicious seafood recipes for beginners include shrimp scampi, broiled salmon with lemon and herbs, and grilled shrimp skewers. These dishes are simple to prepare and require minimal ingredients and cooking time. You can also check out our website for more beginner-friendly seafood recipes and tips.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ccmahaffey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • tinawhite07
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
tinawhite07
  • JessBarszcz