• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New PTA Secretary: Ready for a Fresh Start!

In summary, the new PTA secretary was appointed and is starting her position next year. This year was not very good for the PTA and the secretary is looking forward to next year when she will be voted in. She learned a lot about being a PTA secretary this year, especially about having a good team.
Chef_2_Four
well I guess I am my school's new PTA secretary for next year! I work at a middle school and some how it got mentioned that I wanted a position. well I didn't just wanted to voice my opinion! this year wasn't very good PTA wise. well anyways she sounded so disappointed I couldn't say no. It's not official until Aug when they vote me in, but she said she would really doubt anybody vote against me. Wish me luck next year! I have no idea what I am doing!:D

Don't you love getting appointed to positions?

wasn't expecting it at all!! I got the minutes from the last meeting emailed to me and they discussed me at the last meeting! nice to be the last to know especially when it is about me!!

Thats funny, I'm the outgoing PTO president and I'm already thinking of a new parent who doesn't even have her child in our school yet, would be great at taking my place, I have discussed it with her thought.
Good Luck,

I am just finishing my second term as PTA President. I am so excited. I liked being president, but it was alot of work. Luckily we have a great bunch of ladies on our PTA boad. My position is already filled for the new year. April you'll do just fine. Try and meet/talk with the prior Secretary. She'll be able to give you pointers.

Chef_2_Four said:
well I guess I am my school's new PTA secretary for next year! I work at a middle school and some how it got mentioned that I wanted a position. well I didn't just wanted to voice my opinion! this year wasn't very good PTA wise. well anyways she sounded so disappointed I couldn't say no. It's not official until Aug when they vote me in, but she said she would really doubt anybody vote against me. Wish me luck next year! I have no idea what I am doing!:D
No good deed goes unpunished! :D

That'll teach you to keep quiet. ;)

Chef_2_Four said:

I think you are doing a great thing! I was VP of my son's school PTG three years ago the same year I started PC. The funny part was I told them I would talk with my husband first and never got back to them. A week later I was voted in. I got the notice in the announcement for the new officers and there was my name.:eek: Even though I never said yes I did it anyway and put my whole heart into it. I learned a lot about our then school and I had a lot of compliments on our Board's work. When you have a good team you have a GREAT year!

Did I mention I had my SS months that Sept? Yes indeed! I wouldn't have changed anything from that experience. I learned a lot about having a good ear and a positive attitude.

You want to do this so I know you will do great! And remember HAVE FUN!:)

Good luck on your new postion, I am glad it is you and not me!! He He He...

Just take some light advice. My sister is involved in anything with her little ones you could imagine, plus anything that has to do with my b-i-l in the Military. Needless to say, she was never home! Everyone was pulling her in every direction you could think of. She would never say no. The reason they made the decision for her to stay at home was to be involved in every aspect of the kids growing up. Well, she was so much involved, she was never home!!! Her hubby was the one who was with the kids, after he got home from work. He was the one doing laundry, cooking, homework, bath time and etc!!! She has finally learned to say NO! She doesn't have to be resposible for everything! She has also been able to spend more time with HER kids, which they needed since my b-i-l is now on deployment.

So don't let "wanting to be in your kids lifes" end up "not being involved in anything with your kids!"
(I hope this made sense??)

naekelsey said:
Good luck on your new postion, I am glad it is you and not me!! He He He...

Just take some light advice. My sister is involved in anything with her little ones you could imagine, plus anything that has to do with my b-i-l in the Military. Needless to say, she was never home! Everyone was pulling her in every direction you could think of. She would never say no. The reason they made the decision for her to stay at home was to be involved in every aspect of the kids growing up. Well, she was so much involved, she was never home!!! Her hubby was the one who was with the kids, after he got home from work. He was the one doing laundry, cooking, homework, bath time and etc!!! She has finally learned to say NO! She doesn't have to be resposible for everything! She has also been able to spend more time with HER kids, which they needed since my b-i-l is now on deployment.

So don't let "wanting to be in your kids lifes" end up "not being involved in anything with your kids!"
(I hope this made sense??)

I usually am one that can say no, but just to hear her voice. Oh, and I just work at this school! My kids are 3 and 2!! I think it will be good for the school and the PTA for a faculty member to be on the board. I am going into it with a positive attitude!!

That'll teach you to keep quiet.

Yep I learned my lesson!!! My father in law says "opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one" I just need to learn to not to voice mine!!

Hey me too:) Last week I became my PTO's secretary too.....we're going through a time where they couldn't get any parents to help (it's always the same ones of course that do), and the officers were getting really frustrated; the PTO was in danger of ending. So now we have 3 new officers; only one stayed on, so we'll see what happens:)

Good luck to you!!

I'm our PTO's new assistant treasurer this upcoming year and the following year I'll be treasurer. I was asked casually at the playground and because I have my youngest going into 1st grade next year figured this might be a good time to put more into the school. I've volunteered for different things in the past but I'll definitely be doing more these next 2 years. I also figured it would be a good way to meet even more people at my school as well. I've already been there since 2000 when my oldest started kindergarten. And I still have 5 years to go!:)

I am confused by your answer from what I posted. It somewhat sounds like you are mad at my "little story" I wasn't trying to say you would not be involved in your kids life if you do this or that your family would be ignored. I just wanted to say that we can sometimes cut off more than we can chew. Things get overwhelming and we sometimes don't know how to get out of it, if you are like me... I am always chewing off more than I can chew. I love to help out, and think it is awesome to give back. We should all do what we can. Something that starts off good and well can sometimes snowball.

I am sorry if I offended you,it was not my intention! ..And Good Luck!!

Related to New PTA Secretary: Ready for a Fresh Start!

1. How can I effectively communicate with my fellow PTA members as the new secretary?

As the new PTA secretary, it is important to establish clear lines of communication with your fellow members. This can be done through regular emails, newsletters, and organizing meetings or events. Consider creating a group chat or using a communication platform like Slack to keep everyone updated and easily accessible.

2. What are some tips for staying organized as the new PTA secretary?

Being organized is crucial for a successful term as the PTA secretary. Some tips include creating a detailed calendar or schedule, keeping detailed notes and meeting minutes, and using tools like spreadsheets or project management software to track tasks and deadlines. It may also be helpful to delegate tasks to other PTA members to lighten your workload.

3. How can I make the transition smooth for the outgoing PTA secretary?

It is important to have a smooth transition when taking over as the new PTA secretary. Schedule a meeting with the outgoing secretary to discuss their responsibilities and any ongoing projects. Ask for their advice and insights, and make sure to get access to all necessary documents and records.

4. How can I involve more parents in PTA activities and events?

As the PTA secretary, you can play a crucial role in involving more parents in activities and events. Consider sending out surveys to gather feedback and suggestions, and reach out to parents individually to encourage their participation. Utilize social media and other communication channels to promote upcoming events and showcase the impact of the PTA on the school community.

5. How can I handle conflicts or disagreements within the PTA?

Conflicts and disagreements may arise within the PTA, but it is important to handle them professionally and respectfully. As the secretary, it may be helpful to schedule a meeting to discuss the issue and find a resolution. Encourage open communication and active listening, and remind everyone of the common goal of supporting the school and students. If needed, seek guidance from the PTA president or other board members.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Chef_2_Four
  • KaryCam
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • PamperedTammy
  • General Chat
Replies