• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Recipe Ideas for Bread Crocks

V
vwpamperedchef
Seeing as I have multiple bread crocks I was wondering if anyone had any "Tried and True" recipes...

Please post here if you do!! TIA

Me too, these were before my time. I'm very curious!! I got the Yellow at NC, my favorite color. Whoohooo! Now what?? :confused:

My dad got me one at a yard sale right before I became a consultant. I have no idea what to do with it either, other than use it to hold utensils!

1 bunch of gerber daisies
1/2 crock cold water

This is the Grand Daddy (or should I say Granny?). My Mother's 5 Day bread dough. It is good in the fridge for 5 days. She developed the recipe her Senior year of college as a food science final. Then the remainder of my growing up years, she developed it further until now... It is practically perfect in every way. A regular Mary Poppins kind of bread. Make the dough Monday and you can have rolls, pizza, bread... you name it for the rest of the week. The only rules are: the dough has to stay covered tightly, and the dough needs to get punched down once a day. This recipe makes 4 loaves, or 48 rolls. Or one pizza, 12 rolls, 6 hot dog buns, monkey bread, and 12 soft pretzels. It is an all purpose dough. Yes you can make 4 dozen cinnamon rolls and sit down with a fork and 12 friends and eat the whole pan... I haven't done it (...yet) but I assume it can be done. Diabetics... shoot up. I don't want to be held liable for a sugar coma. You know this isn't low carbo. Remember, follow the recipe as close as possible and you will have success. Pay especially close attention to the directions. Don't just read the ingredients and do it your way. It won't be as perfect as it could be...Really. Seriously. Do what it says. Really. I will say that and there will still be some who write and tell me my recipe is a stink-bug (even though they didn't measure right and added the salt right to the yeast and...their own way mixing...). There is no secret ingredient! Kung Fu Panda freaks. It is how you follow the directions...

Geneve's 5 Day Bread Dough--

2T active dry yeast
4 cups scalded milk, cooled to body temperature. yea. 98.6 degrees
3/4 cup honey
1T salt
4 eggs (or 1 cup egg replacement)
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cup mashed potatoes. cooled to body temp again.
1T baking powder
2 cups whole wheat flour
12-14 cups all purpose flour (I have used fine ground white wheat and been fine doing all whole grain, use only 12-14 cups total if whole wheat is used )

Directions. Dissolve yeast in milk. Stir in honey. Allow yeast to get all foamy and look like it is having a hay day. Add egg, oil, mashed potato, baking powder, 2cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups all purpose flour and salt, in that order. Do not let yeast come in contact with salt on it's own or it will kill the yeast. Beat until smooth. Allow dough to rest 10-15 minutes.

Add enough of the flour remaining to make a soft dough that is easy to handle but not dry. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 full minutes. about 600 turns. Yea. 600 by hand. 5-6 minutes by machine on medium speed. Form into a ball and place in an ungreased 2gallon bowl, covered tightly. Put in the fridge. Punch down after 2 hours and form into a ball again. Cover tightly and chill at least 8 hours. Be sure to punch down daily (this not only expells gas, but also ensures even temperature in the dough). Shape into 4 loaves (I roll the dough out 12 inches by 8 inches, fold into thirds and roll into a loaf) and put into well oiled 8inch by 4 inch by 4 inch loaf pans. Larger loaf pans are not reccomended. Cover loaves with a light mist of oil and then cover with plastic for 1 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 hours depending on the temperature of your home. Bread will be just over the top of the pan. Make sure oven is pre-heated! 400degrees. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 20 minutes (I use a meat thermometer. At 170 degrees the bread is baked through). Remove promptly from pans and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before putting in storage bags. Do not store in the fridge.

I've made banana bread in mine before; just Betty Crocker's recipe:)

I'm with everyone else- I have 4 (or 5 can't remember now) from Conference!!! Help! lol

Here's a meatloaf recipe worth trying.
Deb:)

Attachments

• Here is the recipe for the stoneware crock meatloaf.doc
    24 KB · Views: 455
I use mine for pens and pencils, they are heavy so the cats don't knock them over.

I have a couple, but I haven't cooked in them yet. They are great to freeze and then keep a bottle of wine cold. Or, you can put in the plastic sleeve that comes with the colored crocks. It is great to keep chicken salad, coleslaw, etc. cold!

Eventually I plan to cook with them!

peachey said:
I have a couple, but I haven't cooked in them yet. They are great to freeze and then keep a bottle of wine cold. Or, you can put in the plastic sleeve that comes with the colored crocks. It is great to keep chicken salad, coleslaw, etc. cold!

Eventually I plan to cook with them!

I didn't even think to use it as a cold stone!! Thanks!!

I would still like to know what to bake in it though.... crazy things!

I have a feeling mine will never see an oven... however I think mine may be seeing the freezer much more often now ;)

It can keep wine cold for quite a while! Don't freeze the plastic liner though. I did once, but then realized that the product info guide said not to. Ooops!

I make the PC beer bread in mine all the time!

lacychef said:
I've made banana bread in mine before; just Betty Crocker's recipe:)
How do you adjust the time in the oven?

1. What are some of the best bread recipes for using with bread crocks?

Some popular bread recipes for bread crocks include sourdough bread, crusty artisan bread, and no-knead bread. These types of breads work well with the moist environment inside a bread crock and result in a crispy crust and soft, fluffy interior.

2. Can I use any type of bread recipe with a bread crock?

While you can technically use any bread recipe with a bread crock, some may work better than others. It's best to stick with recipes that require a longer rise time and have a high hydration level, as these will result in a better texture and flavor when baked in a bread crock.

3. Do I need to adjust the baking time when using a bread crock?

Yes, you will likely need to adjust the baking time when using a bread crock. The enclosed environment of the crock will trap steam and create a more humid environment, which can affect the baking time. It's best to follow the recommended baking time for your specific recipe, but keep an eye on the bread and adjust as needed.

4. How do I properly care for my bread crocks?

To keep your bread crocks in good condition, it's important to clean them after each use. Allow them to cool completely before washing with warm, soapy water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or metal utensils, as these can damage the glaze. It's also recommended to season your bread crocks by rubbing them with a small amount of vegetable oil before the first use.

5. Can I use my bread crock for anything other than bread?

Yes, bread crocks can be used for other foods as well, such as casseroles or stews. They can also be used for storing fruits and vegetables or as a decorative piece in your kitchen. Just make sure to properly clean and season the crock before using it for a different type of food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Trish in Texas
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • SUZIEQCONSULTANT