• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My First Show - a Funny Disaster of Sorts

In summary, the host's family member had their first cooking show and it was pretty difficult. They used the excuse that they needed to practice, but the host forgot to tell the guest list and the food arrived late. The food was good, but the host forgot to get the order for the show and they are closing on Tuesday.
HockeyLover
I had my first cooking show last night. Of course, being my first show, the host is a family member. Pretty difficult to host coach, even when I used the excuse that 'I need to practice.'

First, she refused to get together a guest list. "It's just the girls from work, no need for invitations." We set a show time of 7pm. I called her at 6 to be sure she had the shopping list all set. "Yes, everything's all set." I arrived at 6:30 to set up, and the food was not "all set." Her husband was at the store picking up what was needed. :mad: And it gets better. She wanted me to set up in the formal living room, using TV trays of all things. She has a great kitchen with lots of room. :confused: The food finally arrived at 6:55 so I was in a full panic because I couldn't do any of the pre show prep. I was making the Elegant Artichoke Cups and instead of a block of mozzarella, he got mozzarella medallions. Can't use the Ultimate Mandoline on those, now can I? I put them in the freezer anyway, hopeful. 7 o'clock rolls around, and the host decides to take a shower. (I would insert a jaw-dropping smilie here if we had one) Apparently, she decided to move the show to 7:30 and forgot to tell me. Oh, okay. 7:30, 7:45... Only one other family member is present, no sign of the girls from work that didn't need invitations. So, I did the show for them after moving all of my products back to the kitchen. And, by the way, the mozzarella medallions? They can not be used with the Mandoline. I had to use the 5" Utility Knife instead. The recipe came out great and the show is over $150, so it qualified. I am grateful! I told her to contact her coworkers and get outside orders from them. Hopefully, something more will come out of this! Looking back, my first show was almost comical.

It does get better, right? Once I get past my own family?

Oh, wow. What a mess. Things will get better from here. :)

It does get better. I do like the idea of doing my own grocery shopping and getting reimbursed by the host.

I think God gave us family to truly test us :rolleyes:

I'm glad that you've made the best of it. Remember, the show needs to be $150 - not including the host order...

JAE said:
It does get better. I do like the idea of doing my own grocery shopping and getting reimbursed by the host.

I sort of like that idea, but I'm afraid of getting stiffed by the host and it giving me a bad taste in my mouth before her show.

MomToEli said:
I think God gave us family to truly test us :rolleyes:

I'm glad that you've made the best of it. Remember, the show needs to be $150 - not including the host order...
Oh, that reminds me. When I asked how her wish list was coming, she looked at me and said, "You really wanted me to do that?" I haven't gotten her order yet, as we are closing on Tuesday.

It will definitely get better! Shows for family always seem to be more difficult, in my experience anyway. Congrats on getting your first show under your belt! :)

MomToEli said:
I sort of like that idea, but I'm afraid of getting stiffed by the host and it giving me a bad taste in my mouth before her show.
You won't get stiffed. You give her the total she owes you for the entire show including the groceries. Even if she pays with cc, she won't be paying for the whole show with her cc. Many people don't buy the groceries, but some just bring the ones that could pose a problem, like garlic, parmesan cheese, soft kiwi, etc.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad first show. But it will get better!

Now that you've gotten your "bad show" out of the way...the rest will get better! I've said in here somewhere before, that my first show didn't go very well either, but I used it as a learning experience.

This is the exact reason why I now mail invitations for my host...it is definitely worth it and has made a difference in attendance! Sometimes you even have to offer incentives to get their guest list to you on time...a little something extra (sm. bamboo spoons or mini spatula).

I also do the shopping...I've had hosts give me a bag of pre-shredded cheese...that doesn't work in the Cheese Grater or Mandolin either. :( I always tell my hosts during coaching that "as a service to all of my hosts, I will do the shopping for you. I only ask that you send me a check for $15 to cover the cost of ingredients...if it's less I give the change back, if it's more..I don't charge another penny." They are always appreciative of that and usually give me a check the night of the show, but I've been stiffed too. I like the idea of including that in their total and will probably start doing that from now on.

GOOD LUCK!!

yep it gets better! my hardest hosts are my family!! especially my mother in law!! "i've done tons of these shows and I know what I am doing" her exact words and she mailed her invites the week of the show....anyway it does get better and i am actually more relaxed when i am not doing shows with a bunch of people I know!! good luck on your next show!!

MomToEli said:

Ah, but you control her host benefits. (hee, hee, ha, ha) :D

I've been doing the grocery shopping since I started; love the peace of mind it gives me...though I've been the one to forget something a couple times.:eek: (The filling for the spinach-artichoke ring makes a great dip...just in case you ever forget the crescent rolls!)

I've never had a host balk...most are grateful for one less hassle in their day.

If a host reaches 1K in sales, I make it a 'free' cooking show....but I may have to stop doing that....it's starting to cost me too much money.;)

leggy

Last edited:
HockeyLover said:
7 o'clock rolls around, and the host decides to take a shower. (I would insert a jaw-dropping smilie here if we had one)

legacypc46 said:
Ah, but you control her host benefits. (hee, hee, ha, ha) :D
I was thinking the same thing!

It gets better. You just have to love family.

missydivine said:
It gets better. You just have to love family.

Really???? We do???? What that in our consultant agreement????

My first show was an absolute disaster. It will get better.

1. What is "My First Show - a Funny Disaster of Sorts"?

"My First Show - a Funny Disaster of Sorts" is a comedic play about a consultant's first experience hosting a Pampered Chef party. It follows the hilarious mishaps and challenges she faces while trying to showcase the products and make sales.

2. Is this play appropriate for all ages?

Yes, this play is appropriate for all ages. It is a family-friendly comedy that can be enjoyed by both children and adults.

3. How long is the performance?

The performance of "My First Show - a Funny Disaster of Sorts" typically lasts around 1 hour and 30 minutes, with a brief intermission in between.

4. Are there any audience participation elements in the play?

Yes, there are some opportunities for audience participation during the play. Some audience members may be selected to join the consultant on stage for certain scenes.

5. Can I book a performance of "My First Show - a Funny Disaster of Sorts" for my Pampered Chef party?

Yes, you can book a performance of "My First Show - a Funny Disaster of Sorts" for your Pampered Chef party. Contact us for more information on availability and pricing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefjessicah
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Shelly Flanagan
  • pcsharon1
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
christinaspc
  • schel