• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Heavy Bag Woes: Tips for Carrying Your Show Essentials Easily

In summary, the consultant's heavy bag was a problem at her last two shows. She recommends bringing fewer items to shows, and keeping them in lighter containers. She also recommends allowing guests to do the dishes before she leaves.
mrshamel3808
Gold Member
Ok, so does anyone else have a problem with their bag being REALLY heavy? I don't take everything with me to shows, just what I need! But nonetheless, I've ended up with broken blood vessels on my shoulders with the past 2 shows I've done. And it's not as simple as buying a rolling cart; I live in an upstairs apartment so every time I have to carry it up and down at least 16 stairs. This last show I had, I had to take my large bar pan, DCB and trifle bowl. I think the bag weighed more than I did!! Any tips or ideas?

I make 2 trips..but then, I also try to plan a show so that if I am bringing the DCB, I don't take any other stoneware. I talk about the other stoneware, using the catalog, but I don't haul it all.

If I have to bring the trifle bowl, I bring it in a TTA carrying case, and pack stuff on top of it, and carry it over my shoulder.

I NEVER bring the batter bowls - I use the SS bowl set - much lighter. I bring a few prep bowls and talk about the "Batter Bowl Family".

But again - I make 2 trips, because I don't want to twix my back. :rolleyes:

So for most shows- I bring the Consultant Tote, My old red crate, and the cranberry striped tote with paperwork.

One thing that really helps me is that I keep my bags in my car. The only unloading I do is at my host's house.

I take dirty dishes home to do at home so I have to take my bags out of the car (not to mention I want to use my tools!) Because I live in a 2nd story apartment and the garage isn't nearby it isn't like I can just run outside and grab something out of the car. I do want a TTA tote but don't have one yet. I also don't have the SS bowls, just haven't gotten them yet (I've only been doing this for 2 months)

Why did you have to take the bar pan AND the DCB? That's way too much stoneware to take to one show. And the trifle bowl, too? If you're consistently taking that much to shows, then you might need to reevaluate what recipes you're demoing, including how many at each show. Some consultants have seen sales go up when taking more items, but you also need to balance that against your physical well being.

The DCB is heavy - I usually carry that seperately.

Break it down into a few smaller containers. I have a pink rubbermaid tub I put my Trifle, all catalogs & paperwork and the 2 Square Bowls in. This lightens my big tote quite a bit. It does mean I make two trips to the car at the hosts house, but most of my hosts say it doesn't seem overwhelming.
Good luck!

mrshamel3808 said:
I take dirty dishes home to do at home

Have your host or a guest do your dishes before you leave. It's WAYYYY easier!

DebbieJ said:

I second that!!

I only take what I can fit in the new consultant tote and another small tote I got at conference a couple years back-less is more! The smaller tote holds my laptop and paperwork and in the bigger tote I pack my products.
Totally agree that if you have the dcb you don't need another piece of stoneware! And I would suggest that the first thing you use your pc cash on as a newbie is the ss bowl set because they are way lighter!
Also, I have my hubby put the bag in my car and if he isn't at a show with me (which he usually is) I ask the hosts husband, hosts son, hosts neighbor, random burly man walking by lol! to haul my bag in for me.

DebbieJ said:

I allowed one group of guests to do so, after they insisted. When they put them up to dry, the inserted the large bar pan between my bamboo bowl and executive cookware!:yuck:

Needless to say, huge scrape of nonstick off my cookware, dings and scrapes on my bowl!:cry:

Nope, nope....they can not clean my goodies! I just say, oh I'll take care of those....no dishes for you! That's part of the bonuses of hosting a pc party!:D

I used to take home my dishes to wash - but always hated having them face me when I got home.

I now wash them at the host's home...and offer a small gift to anyone who helps. So - I am still supervising the washing of the dishes, but I usually have a couple people (at least) helping me out. This makes for a really fun time! I get to know people more one-on-one while we are washing and drying, and I've booked shows and added to orders while doing clean up!

And the biggest benefit is that I go home with clean dishes. :D

Even if I had people do the dishes for me at the show (some hosts have without me asking) I don't necessarily trust that they'll be clearn enough for my next show if I don't inspect them and/or re-wash them. Plus, I use my PC items every day in my kitchen, so I want them upstairs. I usually try to have my hubby bring them upstairs but usually don't have my bag loaded and ready when he leaves for work in the morning to take it DOWN to the car.

This one show I had was really strange, not one I'd like to repeat, and the host was really picky about what recipes to do so I was just happy to have her to settle on some. That's why I ended up having to take 3 of my heaviest pieces.

I think I will invest in some plastic bins and just be willing to take more than one trip (I always try to take one trip, I don't know why, even when it's groceries or something).

I don't have the host do my dished I am Pampering her not having her do my dishes, so i do carry those in to wash when I get home most of the other things are in my car, ( after 81/2 years I have doubles)
But I do hear ya the bags are a load to carry

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I allowed one group of guests to do so, after they insisted. When they put them up to dry, the inserted the large bar pan between my bamboo bowl and executive cookware!:yuck:Needless to say, huge scrape of nonstick off my cookware, dings and scrapes on my bowl!:cry:Nope, nope....they can not clean my goodies! I just say, oh I'll take care of those....no dishes for you! That's part of the bonuses of hosting a pc party!:D
Ouch...that would make me sick. Too bad that can't fall under our liability insurance coverage (or would it??) - if we screw up something at their house, they are covered- it should also work the other way too! :D

I don't like the new consultant tote that comes with the kit. It's so heavy because it's awkward. The weight of the items sort of cause the bag to sag- so it's not distributed evenly. I can put the same items in a crate, and it feels half the weight. I actually bought the old Pampered Chef crates (2) on e-bay, and love them much better. When I can, I can stack them on top of each other and using a luggage dolly that is collapsible, I can wheel them where I need to go! I then use the reusable grocery bags for a few lighter or odd-sized pieces, like the QSP and my tablecloth/apron, etc. I'll still need to make two trips- not because I bring SO much, but I don't try to put it all in one thing making it too heavy.My Hosp.Director uses a 5-gallon bucket also, with the tool-pouch on the outside. She puts her TTA inside, and then all the tools/gadgets in the pockets. I think some bowls sit inthe bucket too. It's been awhile since I saw her do that- but that, plus I think 1 or 2 crates of product.

esavvymom said:
Ouch...that would make me sick. Too bad that can't fall under our liability insurance coverage (or would it??) - if we screw up something at their house, they are covered- it should also work the other way too! :D

Yes, I teared up...did I mention I LOVE my pc toys....and I TRY to be generous and share....he he

I would love that they considered covering our tools too.....read on another post that sometimes they do.....so will be calling next week. Wish me luck!

Does anyone have the original wooden crate that used to come with the kit? Now that was a conversation starter! lol

I too have the crate and the smaller consultant tote.I do all my dishes at my host's house, that way I don't have to take home dirty dishes, they would never make it back into my kit that way.I know you are new but over time you can accumulate duplicates so you can keep your products in your car, it is so much easier that way!

I've tried doing dishes at the show, but I'm always ready to get home.

I don't have my bag-toters (burly men) anymore, and my new house has maybe 5 steps down from kitchen to driveway.

I quit taking my lapboards to shows due to their weight. :(

In fact, I'm considering calling a chiropractor for an appointment. (Last wk was my first show in several months.)

HOWEVER, I don't want y'all to think I'm grumbling. Just statin' the fac's, ma'am. Just statin' the fac's. :chef:

EpTxGuy said:
Does anyone have the original wooden crate that used to come with the kit? Now that was a conversation starter! lol

I do - used it for quite awhile. I could transport in it and then empty it and use on the display table! It now holds our old record albums:) I now use a rolling duffle bag from the sporting goods dept. Much easier to access than the rolling tote and inexpensive to replace.

Ann F said:
Just statin' the fac's, ma'am. Just statin' the fac's. :chef:

Thanks for the giggle Ann! Hope your aches and pains are feeling better soon! :balloon:

My director gave me a great tip....use a garbage bag to line your crate, toss the dirty dishes in....go home and toss in dishwasher. Since I do not have a PC crate, I either use a milk crate I got from a host or line my rolling tote with the garbage bag and do just as my director suggestion.

My hubby loads my stuff in the car, and at night when I return. At the hosts home, I unload. Usually, a guest or host will help me load.

Elise....don't know if this is at all feasible or realistic....but could you use a pulley system where you can haul it up and down via a window? If not, you may need to prep the night before so your hubby does load it in the car.

I take the red crate with all for my demo including the TTA tote inside, a tote with 'other' products, my briefcase with all cattys etc, and my laptop bag. 2 trips both ways. I too line my bag with a garbage bag when I get there and all goes in dirty then I close it and place the TTA on top.

After 4 years I have doubles of all my necessary/favorite products and even triples of some but couldn't possibly leave them in my truck. With the way I drive, they'd be broken by the end of the first day ;) :D

Note to self: don't get in the car when Jodi's driving.

1. How can I make carrying my heavy bag easier?

Invest in a rolling bag or tote with wheels. This will take the weight off your shoulders and make it easier to transport your show essentials.

2. What items should I prioritize in my heavy bag?

Make sure to pack your most essential items, such as product samples, order forms, and catalogs. It's also a good idea to include any necessary paperwork or business cards.

3. How can I prevent my bag from getting too heavy?

Consider leaving non-essential items, like extra catalogs or decorations, in your car until you need them. This will help lighten your load and prevent unnecessary strain on your shoulders.

4. Is there a specific way I should pack my heavy bag?

Try to distribute the weight evenly in your bag. Pack heavier items towards the bottom and towards the center to avoid putting too much strain on one side of the bag.

5. Are there any alternatives to carrying a heavy bag?

You could consider using a wagon or cart to transport your show essentials. This will take the weight off your shoulders and make it easier to maneuver through different locations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ksmedic
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
KatieBeth
Replies
Views
Marg
Replies
Views
Ish