• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Multi-Tasking Gone Wrong: A Story of an Unfortunate Cooking Accident

a bandaid!I've learned my lesson that I'm a clutz...at one show I cut myself..luckily I had plastic gloves that I could wear after I put the bandaid on...now I also carry...a bandaid! Same here! After the first time using my apple wedger, I realized that it was a little dangerous not having a cover on it. I was using it to remove the cores from my apples and I cut myself. I was so surprised that the blade went all the way through my finger. I immediately put on some plastic gloves and that has made it much safer for me.
nikkijo
So I'm trying to multitask...key word trying...talking on my cell phone while getting supper ready. I'm trying the recipe that was posted earlier this week with apples sprinkled with cinnamon toped with pork chops then more apples and cinnamon. So I'm talking on the phone cutting the apples (first time using the wedger) and I'm trying to get the core out and all of a sudden I have this nice gash in my middle finger. This is a bleeder, I hadn't realized how sharp that thing this!

Just thought of this, should I call my dr and get a tetanus shot tomorrow? I can't remember the last time I had one.

nikkijo said:
So I'm trying to multitask...key word trying...talking on my cell phone while getting supper ready. I'm trying the recipe that was posted earlier this week with apples sprinkled with cinnamon toped with pork chops then more apples and cinnamon. So I'm talking on the phone cutting the apples (first time using the wedger) and I'm trying to get the core out and all of a sudden I have this nice gash in my middle finger. This is a bleeder, I hadn't realized how sharp that thing this!

Just thought of this, should I call my dr and get a tetanus shot tomorrow? I can't remember the last time I had one.
Yeah-I sliced my finger open on the apple wedger too. It hurt!!!!

Same here. After I got mine, I tossed it into the dish water to clean it--it had flipped over, I got distracted and when I put my hands into the water, my thumb ran along one of the blades (like, razor blades!). Yow! I thought it would never stop bleeding. I'm learning the hard way that there are protective covers on products for good reasons!

Can you believe they used to sell it without the cover?!?

Unless your apple wedger was rusty you shouldn't need a tetanus shot. With my pre-PC apple wedger I had to press so hard just to get it to go through the apple then I could flip it over to shoot out the core. Not with ours!! It is so much easier to cut with, but popping out the core is like a suicide attempt! I've started just using a butter knife or something else nearby to pop it out.

cmdtrgd said:
Can you believe they used to sell it without the cover?!?

I know it's so hard to believe! I wonder how many people hurt themselves before they made a cover for it.

nikkijo said:
I know it's so hard to believe! I wonder how many people hurt themselves before they made a cover for it.

Yea....Kinda like the Ultimate slice and grate???

Apple Wedger Tip...slice the bottom off the apple first. That way, the blades go all the way to the bottom, and it's MUCH easier to remove.

I learned this from my AD, and I went from being leery of the thing, to absolutely loving it. It's something I share whenever I show the wedger.

BTW, did you know it's great for onions too? Perfect wedges for fajitas or stews!

nikked said:
Apple Wedger Tip...slice the bottom off the apple first. That way, the blades go all the way to the bottom, and it's MUCH easier to remove.

I learned this from my AD, and I went from being leery of the thing, to absolutely loving it. It's something I share whenever I show the wedger.

BTW, did you know it's great for onions too? Perfect wedges for fajitas or stews!
That tip works for every sharp item. Cut your food so that there is a flat surface and then slice it - makes the knives, ultimate mandoline, wedger... safer!

nikked said:

That is a great tip!! I have to remember to tell customers that!!!

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was at a school fundraiser where we were making carmel apples and i brougt my Apple Wedger and cut my finger in front of a parent who was waiting for her apple. Grosss!!!

kisrae said:
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was at a school fundraiser where we were making carmel apples and i brougt my Apple Wedger and cut my finger in front of a parent who was waiting for her apple. Grosss!!!

I've learned my lesson that I'm a clutz...at one show I cut myself..luckily I had plastic gloves that I could wear after I put the bandaid on...now I also carry bandaids.

I always warn my customers to PULL the core through. (Just twist a little. It comes right out.) Pushing it through can be really dangerous. Sorry you gals found out the hard way.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks for the tips! I knew there had to be a better way! Great ideas!

It's great for making steak fries too!

Ok, the older one must not be nearly as sharp as the new one. I have the one that doesn't have a cover, and I can't imagine it cutting me. As a matter of fact, I have to get on my tip toes and put all my weight on it to get it to cut an apple (and I'm talking a lot of weight here).

Related to Multi-Tasking Gone Wrong: A Story of an Unfortunate Cooking Accident

1. What is "Multi-Tasking Gone Wrong: A Story of an Unfortunate Cooking Accident?"

"Multi-Tasking Gone Wrong: A Story of an Unfortunate Cooking Accident" is a cautionary tale of a cooking mishap that occurred while attempting to juggle multiple tasks in the kitchen. It serves as a reminder to always prioritize safety and focus when cooking.

2. What happened in the cooking accident?

In the story, the cook was trying to simultaneously chop vegetables, check a recipe on their phone, and stir a pot on the stove. As a result, they accidentally cut their finger and spilled the boiling soup onto the counter and floor.

3. Why is multi-tasking dangerous in the kitchen?

Multi-tasking in the kitchen can be dangerous because it distracts you from paying full attention to what you are doing. This can lead to accidents such as cuts, burns, or spills, which can result in injury or damage to your kitchen and appliances.

4. How can I avoid a similar cooking accident?

To avoid a similar cooking accident, it is important to prioritize safety and focus while cooking. This means avoiding distractions such as using your phone, watching TV, or talking on the phone while handling sharp objects or cooking on the stove. It is also helpful to plan and prepare all necessary ingredients and tools before starting to cook.

5. What are some tips for multi-tasking safely in the kitchen?

If you must multi-task in the kitchen, here are some tips to do so safely: always keep your knives sharp and pay attention while using them, use timers to keep track of cooking times, and use heat-resistant mitts or potholders when handling hot pots and pans. It is also important to take breaks and prioritize tasks, rather than trying to do everything at once.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefkathy
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
Back