• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mastering Interactive Chaos: Tips for a Successful and Engaging Show

In summary, it seems like the show format is better for me, but I'm not real comfy with the interactive format.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I'm really trying to embrace the Interactive format - but it's a mess! I'm great with the show format I've been doing all along, but interactive is chaotic. Let me explain.

Today's show recipe - Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip

After the first 2 guests arrived I had them start helping me prepare the recipe, as others arrived they also helped. That part was fine. It's after this that I get all perplexed! As we were putting the recipe in the oven I had my host round-up all the stragglers. I did my intro and story and asked everyone what they liked about the tool they used. This was good and got them talking. I had all the ingredients for pass-around salsa and talked about the salad choppers and passed it for everyone to make - they loved it!

My problem is I feel all out of control. I realized that I never introduced myself, never got their names, never thanked my host, never talked about SA, forgot all about my DPDS, I'm just not real comfy with this format.....any ideas?

Sales are great - she's already over $1,000 - but she always has a great show for me. Heck, I could sit in a corner at her house and it would still be a high show. I didn't get any bookings, but then I've never gotten bookings from her shows - she lives in an affluent area and her friends spend $$, but none of them want to host . I've done CCC with them in the past, they all say no thanks, when Ida has her next show I'll be there. And I do get outlet orders and misc orders from some of them occasionally.

What's working for you? I feel really akward with this. Almost like it's an inside-out show. I'm doing in the middle what I used to do in the beginning and vice-versa.

My interactive shows are chaotic, too. I can't wait to hear how it's going for others. I think if I had a more consistant schedule I would feel better about doing my shows this way because with practice everything works better. I do think I like being in control. It depends on a few things, but yes, I like control.

Here is what I do Linda in case it helps at all:1. Have stations all set up and ready to go before hosts arrive...catalogs and folders are still in my tote.2. Guests arrive, host offers them a drink, we sit around and just chat with each other waiting for people. I don't talk PC unless they bring it up, we talk about kids/jobs, whatever.3. When it gets close to "time" I ask the host if everyone is here or if we are waiting on anyone. If all are there, I go get the Season's Best, thank the host and remind them to sign it like a yearbook AFTER the recipe. I explain that we need to wash our hands and gather around because EVERYONE is going to help me do something. If someone really balks about it then give them the kitchen timer. They can keep people on task (chances are they'll join you later when they see the fun). 4. We gather and do the recipe. We talk about products and things as we use them. Often this brings up host benefits or other things and if so I chat about them then.5. When the recipe goes in the oven or is done, we get plates and silverware, get some food and get comfy. That is when I do my "spiel" using my flip binder. They usually listen and taste. 6. Then I hand out my folders and either hang for questions on things or disappear to my "checkout" spot and invite them to join me when ready.Hope that helps!

Psst...I saw JAE mention "control"...my plan gives me interaction AND control. :)

I love the idea of interactive shows and my customers seem to love it too, but, I feel the same as you. I always forget to talk about the host and guest specials, the opportunity, thanking the host, thanking the guests, introducing myself... It just seems like it starts spinning out of control and then I can't seem to get it back! People don't seem to pay attention and I feel all unorganized! But, like I said, I do like the idea, I just need a way to better implement it. I have had a lot of training from my director on the interactive show, I just can't seem to get the guests to cooperate with a format!

That's sort of how mine go when I'm really organized and the host has a good set up.

The 2 I have attempted to do....:eek:, no one really wanted to help! They all like making the Salsa & then I lose them, so I go back to my regular show, do my speil, play a game...they like games...I like games, it seems to get them excited! Do my check out & then we all sit around & chat & laugh!! I know, I know...I was NO help what so ever, but I tried....:eek:

I did the interactive shows before PC introduced them
all my shows for months (well over a years worth) were the asian potstickers and dipping sauceI did my show the same up until it came time to assemble them I had 4 stations taught the 4 "designs" let them take turns making a couple of the designs they wanted to make and then they went to the other side of the kitchen to paly with the tools I had used to make the filling.
when we put them in the oven i gathered them up again and did the closing of my show.

I'm with Linda, I thought I was the only one.
Thanks for the insight Janet :)

I think it all depends on the crowd too. I've done some where I still felt in control, & it ran smooth....and I've done a couple that were kinda crazy. And, I still have some "old school" hosts/guests that still want to just watch.
The best ones have been because of better host coaching I've done. If my host is excited about getting everyone involved, and she's telling them that as they come in; that helps a lot.

I'm the same as you Linda - I find I don't do introductions, thank you to host, booking pitch, etc. I don't seem to get the people sitting back down and getting into the listening mode.

I am doing mine the same as I always did which is similar to what Jillian does on the video. I ask people to come up and try it. I use the tickets w/a drawing for a "nice" prize and I tell them what it is. Today I did this and gave away a "Kids in the Kitchen Cookbook." They all wanted to win it and all got involved, but I did the main part of the recipe, I kept control and kept it moving. I got 2 bookings as well. They don't have to get involved to get a ticket - they all get one when they arrive for the show, but they get more for tips, trying products, etc.

I find most of them want to come in, sit and relax.

The only way I will let the people do all the cooking is when I do a Survivor show.

Thanks Rhonda - I might try that approach next time.

I have had some that are great and others were everyone stares at me and only a few help. It really depends on the group. My host seem to really love it though.

I do feel out of control and choas. I also feel like I talk too much when we sit down to go over the catalog and other info. I am glad I am not the only one having issues!

I do my shows like Jillian on the dvd also. I tried the other two ways and they just are not my style. The shows I did the other ways were way too chaotic and my sales and bookings were lower than normal. I decided I was not going to beat myself up just because the other ways didn't work for me. I did change my format a little and I say throughout my demo "Who's going to try this tool? I don't want anyone thinking only I can do this"! I have at least 3 guests aprticipate at each show but I do most of the demo, like Rhonda does. I really enjoy doing cooking shows and I want my guests to enjoy it also. Hope this helps some :)

I have yet to do an interactive one. I am so worried that no one will want to participate and then if they do that they will hate it! I cannot convince myself to try something new. Luke told me this morning when we thought today was sunday school promotion day that he did not like to try new things, so, I guess I get it from him.

I think because we are all so use to one format it is really hard to get comfortable w/ the change. Like someone said earlier - practice makes perfect. How did you learn your habit for the style you're doing now? At first, I used note cards. And then as things became more natural I no longer needed them. The same with this. . .because the interactive IS so chaotic I needed to go back to my notecards. And slowly I find myself not using them.

The key is to control the chaos - bring them away from it. Take them out of the room where the chaos began to get them focused on something else. This is where I do the games, booking info, recruiting, rufth, etc.

It's kind of like this - when my dog is jumping up and down from excitement and it gets to be too much, I poke him in the side with my finger. The dog whisperer says it knocks out the chaos and brings them back to focus or focus on something else. I can't poke the guests with my finger (although some of them you'd like to, hee, hee :~D) but it's the same concept. You've got to be the one to get them focused on something else. Take charge - being in control is fun, fun, fun.:D

I hope that helps. It has really worked for me that way.

Tried 'em - don't like 'em!!! I agree with the chaos theory - all of the ones that I've tried have been terrible, at best. Some people sit down, don't want to participate, even go into another room. So I'm going back to the old montra of: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

I forgot to mention if I do a show w/the same group of people I try to do the Bingo game at the next show.

The bingo cards I found off the web (they are in word format). They have to listen to mark off the items on their board. It works really good. They don't come up and try the products as much, but it's something new for them.

I put things on the boards like products I know I'll be using, guarantee info., recruiting info (like price of the kit), etc. I just type the items I want to have on the cards and do a "search and replace" so it updates all the cards.

I get the tickets at WalMart. I use the double ones where one says "keep this ticket." You could always buy the other onese and tear them in half. They cost about $8, but last forever!

1. What is "Interactive Chaos!"?

"Interactive Chaos!" is a fun and engaging cooking class offered by Pampered Chef. It combines hands-on cooking with interactive games and challenges to create a unique and memorable experience.

2. How long does the "Interactive Chaos!" cooking class last?

The "Interactive Chaos!" cooking class typically lasts for about 2 hours, but can vary depending on the group size and the complexity of the recipes being made.

3. Can I customize the recipes for my "Interactive Chaos!" class?

Yes, our Pampered Chef consultants are happy to work with you to customize the recipes to fit your preferences or dietary restrictions. Just let us know beforehand and we will be happy to accommodate.

4. Do I need to have any cooking experience to participate in "Interactive Chaos!"?

No prior cooking experience is necessary to participate in "Interactive Chaos!" Our consultants will guide you through each step and provide any necessary instruction.

5. Can I book a "Interactive Chaos!" class for a private event?

Yes, "Interactive Chaos!" classes are perfect for private events such as birthdays, team building activities, or bridal showers. Contact your local Pampered Chef consultant to schedule a private class.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PamperedK
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies