• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Store-Bought Icing Taste Homemade:chef:

In summary, there are several ways to make store-bought icing taste less artificial and more homemade. You can add pure vanilla or almond extract, a pinch of salt, fresh lemon juice, cocoa powder, or cream cheese to enhance the flavor and texture. To make it thicker and creamier, use an electric mixer or add cream cheese. If it's too sweet, balance it out with lemon juice, salt, or unsalted butter. And if you need a specific color, you can use food coloring. Just remember to mix well for the best results.
whiteyteresa
What can I do to can icing to make it taste like homemade icing ? ? ?

I am making them for a bake sale and kids club for tomorrow - I would make homemade fluffy icing but don't have time.

Thanks for you help in advance

Teresa

:chef:

Go ahead and put your canned icing in the mixer and mix up again. I have done it fluffs up, at least it did for me.

I will often whip it with the hand mixer, add a few tablespoons of powdered sugar and maybe a dash of vanilla. It still has that chemical-canned icing taste, but it's less noticeable IMHO. Good luck!

I have also heard of softening 1/2 block of cream cheese and mixing that into the frosting. I would add some of our vanilla, too.

I heard Sandra Lee once say use something called "champagne flavoring" and add it to your frosting. She said it was available with the cake decorating supplies. Personally, since I don't have that on hand, I would add a bit of whatever flavoring I have, whip it up and frost away. Sprinkle some sprinkles and be good to go.

I can't stand canned icing. I took some cupcakes in to my son's class as a last minute treat and bought a flavor called Whipped Cream (I don't remember which brand)....it was really GOOD! and creamy too. It did not have the canned taste either.

Related to Making Store-Bought Icing Taste Homemade:chef:

1. How can I make store-bought icing taste less artificial?

One way to make store-bought icing taste less artificial is to add a small amount of pure vanilla extract or almond extract to the icing. This will enhance the flavor and make it taste more homemade.

2. Can I add additional ingredients to store-bought icing to make it taste homemade?

Yes, you can add additional ingredients to store-bought icing to make it taste homemade. Some suggestions include adding a pinch of salt, a splash of fresh lemon juice, or a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Be sure to mix thoroughly for best results.

3. How can I make store-bought icing thicker and creamier?

To make store-bought icing thicker and creamier, you can beat it with an electric mixer for a few minutes. This will add air to the icing and make it fluffier. You can also add a small amount of softened cream cheese to the icing for a thicker, creamier texture.

4. How can I make store-bought icing taste less sweet?

If you find store-bought icing to be too sweet, you can balance out the sweetness by adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a pinch of salt. You can also mix in some unsalted butter or cream cheese to mellow out the sweetness.

5. Can I color store-bought icing to match a specific color?

Yes, you can color store-bought icing to match a specific color. You can use gel food coloring or powdered food coloring for best results. Start with a small amount and gradually add more until you achieve the desired color. Be sure to mix well to evenly distribute the color throughout the icing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
lindseystar
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
magentablue