• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Powdered Sugar Icing Be Saved?

In summary, Lisa was baking cookies and found a recipe for the icing that set up, but didn't have the directions for how much to make. She put the leftover icing in a small bowl and added milk as needed to make it soft. When she was done, she put it in a plastic container and put it in the freezer.
esavvymom
Staff member
Ok...I'm feeling really dumb here...but I don't bake much anymore, and I've NEVER really decorated Christmas cookies (more than icing the full cookie or some sugar sprinkles before baking). My kids and I were making gingerbread cookies (the "ABC Cookies"- with a missing head, leg, or arm HAHAHA- too funny). I found a recipe for the icing that will set up, etc....but it didn't tell me how much it made, and it made a BIG bowl. I've probably got enough to fill 3-4 of my Decorator bottles. And I've still got icing in one of my bottles. I don't want to bake cookies all night to use the icing.

What do I do with the icing? It's just powdered sugar with milk...I'm thinking I can stick it in the fridge since it has milk in it, then when I'm ready to do more cookies, I set it out to soften up some (it's pretty stiff anyway!).

Having one of those "Brain F**t" moments and don't want to mess it up and waste it. I've already wasted enough icing this week trying to make RED icing- HAHA...that's an adventure. (We ended up with dark pink stockings...but that's another story).

Not sure on that one. I make my icing with powdered sugar, water and vanilla. It is easy to make, but I have never tried to store it. Wish I could be of more help.

Lisa

You can store it..what i would do though if I were you. When you take it out..put it in a mixing bowl..add a little bit of milk..and use the mixer to use it. It will soften it up. Just add milk as needed.

YES put it in a plastic container and put it in the Freezer it will stay fine

Good! Thanks! That was what I was thinking too. I just finished putting the leftover in my small batter bowl ( have about 2 cups left, after icing some sugar cookies and the gingerbread men).

For the red icing (for next time!) use the gel food colors, they are MUCH better!

1. Can powdered sugar icing be saved if it becomes too runny?

Yes, powdered sugar icing can be saved if it becomes too runny. To thicken the icing, simply add more powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency. You can also refrigerate the icing for a few minutes to help it thicken.

2. How long can powdered sugar icing be stored?

Powdered sugar icing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Before using, allow the icing to come to room temperature and stir it well to ensure a smooth consistency.

3. Can I freeze leftover powdered sugar icing?

Yes, you can freeze leftover powdered sugar icing for up to 3 months. Make sure to store it in an airtight container and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator before using. You may need to add a little bit of water or milk to thin out the icing after it has been frozen.

4. Can I add food coloring to powdered sugar icing?

Yes, you can add food coloring to powdered sugar icing to create different colors for decorating. Make sure to use gel or powdered food coloring, as liquid food coloring can thin out the icing and affect the consistency.

5. Can I use powdered sugar icing on hot desserts?

No, it is not recommended to use powdered sugar icing on hot desserts as the heat can cause the icing to melt and become runny. It is best to wait until the dessert has cooled before adding the icing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
MandyK
  • mrshamel3808
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
muffetts
  • DebPC