• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Delicious Dishes: My Recipe Journey @ Home

In summary, the author recommends making pesto with premade ingredients or buying it. The pesto is easy to make, but can be improved with chopped walnuts. It is also a good appetizer recipe.
obxchef
My hostess has asked for this recipe for her show next weekend. I have made it at home a couple of times. It is not a recipe that I am real comfortable with. Does anyone have any suggestions on what you would do differently etc? Thanks again. I love this site:sing:

I like 'em but I make just a regular pesto (with pine nuts) instead of the walnuts. My host that I tried this out on wasn't crazy about the sound of walnuts in pesto. They were VERY yummy and a big hit.

I haven't made them but know that alot of people just buy the premade pesto.

Definitely pre-make the pesto or buy it. The pesto is hard to demo because the chopper doesn't make pesto very well!!! Other than that, it's an excellent demo, and I would recommend it!

I made this at about 6 shows this month. They are very easy when you use premade pesto. Also, instead of the pizza dough in the prepared rolls (like pillburry) use pizza dough in the ball. Most grocery stores that make pizzas, you can buy for about $1. Then all you have to do is pinch of small chunks and press down. They rise much better and are more delicious. The cost of the parmesan in a triangle can be expensive. I let hosts buy shredded parmesan, but I made sure to bring the microplane grater to talk about.

Thank you all for your responses! But here is another question. . .in what section of the grogery store do you find premade pesto? And do they have premade walnut presto? I guess you guys can tell that I am not much of a shopper!!!

obxchef said:
Thank you all for your responses! But here is another question. . .in what section of the grogery store do you find premade pesto? And do they have premade walnut presto? I guess you guys can tell that I am not much of a shopper!!!
I have found premade pesto near the deli counter.

obxchef said:
Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts - the concept of walnut pesto is a little strange to me. I'm thinking that PC went with a walnut pesto because walnuts are more readily available, and cheaper. I wouldn't worry about trying to find walnut pesto. At grocery stores in my area, you can get fresh pesto in the deli, jarred pesto with the other pasta sauces, and refrigerated pesto with the refrigerated, fresh pastas.......

This recipe (using a prepared pesto) is my favorite new appetizer recipe!

I have made this at shows and for family gathering and it has been a big hit! I use ready made pesto (Classico ) and I do not put the chopped walnuts on top of pizza as the recipe suggests. I also bring 2 large bar pans and make one with just pizza sauce and cheese. I really talk about how easy it is to change our recipes to fit different needs.

Kendra

Just made these for my open house and everyone loved them! I thought the pesto was very easy to make, but would have the walnuts chopped for the top of the pizzas done first so you don't have to clean your chopper. I thought it was very quick to make the pesto and was surprised how well it all came together. I did make some without tomatoes though and they were a hit for the non-tomato crowd.

I didn't have any trouble making the pesto with the chopper. My friend when she heard I was making pesto started to reach for her food processor and I was like 'no silly, watch'... it came together in no time following the directions they gave (and just using pine nuts instead of walnuts). I also made some without tomatoes cuz she has this 'thing' against them (won't even touch them - she had her sister pick some out for her to use for the demo). It came together really fast and I sold a knife by showing her how easily it cut the dough (she'd just bought a knife set too... but she wanted the 3" paring knife which her set didn't have)..

I think you all have inspired me to make this recipe!! I think I will try it here first and maybe make it for our meeting this month! Thanks! :thumbup: :balloon: ;) :)

Love these!
My kids love these!
I've made it at shows, the guests and hosts love these!

Definitely use premade pesto--I find it near the spaghetti sauce, top shelf.

As a demo, I'd press down the dough ahead of time...or use gloves ...I thought I'd use the Baker's Roller, but it seemed that the rings of dough were coming apart...easier to press down with my fingers.

YUMMM!!! and it smells up the house wonderfully!
Edit: OH!! And I hate tomatoes...but they don't bother me with this recipe!

premade pesto usually is in the fresh deli area with the cheeses like parmessan, etc. or can be found where you buy the fresh packaged pastas.

I talked to my host for Friday and I'm going to make this recipe! I'm am inviting my neighbor over tomorrow to taste them, because I am buying the ingredients tomorrow and making them! I refuse to do a demo that I have not even at least tried!
Thanks for the advice!:thumbup: :balloon:

lkprescott said:
I didn't have any trouble making the pesto with the chopper. My friend when she heard I was making pesto started to reach for her food processor and I was like 'no silly, watch'... it came together in no time following the directions they gave (and just using pine nuts instead of walnuts).

I also made some without tomatoes cuz she has this 'thing' against them (won't even touch them - she had her sister pick some out for her to use for the demo). It came together really fast and I sold a knife by showing her how easily it cut the dough (she'd just bought a knife set too... but she wanted the 3" paring knife which her set didn't have)..

I've made the pesto at shows as well and it's worked great untill last time. I think the basil leaves were too wet or something and maybe that's why they didn't chop well. I think I will pre-chop most of the basil next time just to make sure.....

For a large party I had, I just rolled out the pillsbury dough on the bar pan and made a regular pizza b/c the "mini" wouldn't have fed everyone. I pretty much just doubled the recipe that way and it worked great!

MissChef said:
I talked to my host for Friday and I'm going to make this recipe! I'm am inviting my neighbor over tomorrow to taste them, because I am buying the ingredients tomorrow and making them! I refuse to do a demo that I have not even at least tried!
Thanks for the advice!:thumbup: :balloon:

LOL! I'm the opposite! I often will try a new recipe first at a show!

ChefNic said:
Definitely use premade pesto--I find it near the spaghetti sauce, top shelf.
Do shop at the same place? This is where I have seen it in my store too.

I need to try these things.

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL! I'm the opposite! I often will try a new recipe first at a show!
Too funny! just goes to prove, different strokes for different folks!:p :D
I am a control freak! I need to be able to control my show to some degree and the best way I know how is to make sure I know the recipe! I want to be able to focus on my products rather than focusing on understanding the recipe. The last time I tried doing a recipe for the first time at a show, I screwed it up and all though the people seemed to like it, I knew it could be much better! I learned my lesson! One thing I have learned over the years though, is if I'm not absolutely clear on the directions, I will give the recipe to either a guest that I know or I'll give it to the most friendly person, and let them read to me the steps on what to do next, because then they feel important and I am not having to stop to read! That has helped me stay professional looking! Again it's about control!:rolleyes: ;) :blushing: :D

MissChef said:
Too funny! just goes to prove, different strokes for different folks!:p :D
I am a control freak! I need to be able to control my show to some degree and the best way I know how is to make sure I know the recipe! I want to be able to focus on my products rather than focusing on understanding the recipe. The last time I tried doing a recipe for the first time at a show, I screwed it up and all though the people seemed to like it, I knew it could be much better! I learned my lesson! One thing I have learned over the years though, is if I'm not absolutely clear on the directions, I will give the recipe to either a guest that I know or I'll give it to the most friendly person, and let them read to me the steps on what to do next, because then they feel important and I am not having to stop to read! That has helped me stay professional looking! Again it's about control!:rolleyes: ;) :blushing: :D

I should probably add that I have spent years reading and making recipes and doing recipe trials - long before PC - so I have learned to be able to read a recipe and pretty much know how it will turn out, and how good of a demo it will be. That probably gives me a different comfort level when using new recipes. However - although I will try a new recipe w/ show guests as my guinea pigs, I don't do new recipes all the time. I actually end up with very few recipes that I demo - and I pretty much pick the recipe I am going to do - I don't give my hosts many choices.
I'm not really a control freak - but I do like a sense of order to my shows - so I follow an outline for all of my shows. That way, if I sense I am getting off track, or not including everything I want to say, I can look at my outline, and work my way back to where I need to be. When I think about it, the actual recipe is a very minor part of my demo.

Related to Making Delicious Dishes: My Recipe Journey @ Home

1. How can I make sure my dishes turn out delicious every time?

To ensure consistently delicious dishes, it's important to follow the recipe exactly as written. Use high-quality ingredients and don't be afraid to add a little extra seasoning or spice to suit your taste preferences.

2. What are some essential tools or products I need for successful recipe journey at home?

Investing in good quality cookware, knives, and utensils can make a big difference in your cooking experience. Additionally, having a good set of measuring cups and spoons, a food scale, and a reliable oven thermometer are essential for precise measurements and accurate cooking temperatures.

3. How do I know which recipes will be a hit with my family and friends?

Consider the preferences and dietary restrictions of your loved ones when choosing recipes to try. You can also ask for their input or try out new recipes on a small scale before making them for a larger group.

4. Can I make substitutions or modifications to the recipes?

Absolutely! Our recipes are meant to be versatile and customizable. Feel free to substitute ingredients or adjust measurements to suit your taste and dietary needs.

5. What is the best way to store and reheat leftovers from my recipe journey?

Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, you can use the microwave, stovetop, or oven. For best results, add a splash of water or broth to prevent the dish from drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
gailz2
  • dldunphy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Kristin B
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies