• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a German Pancake Recipe

In summary, the conversation was about a customer looking for a specific German pancake recipe that she remembers being made in a PC pan. Despite searching, the recipe could not be found. Another person suggested a popover puff recipe from a few years ago that was made in a deep dish baker. Two versions of the recipe were provided - a sweet Apple Cranberry Popover Puff and a savory Lemony Chicken Popover Puff. Both recipes involve making a popover puff in a deep dish pan and a filling to be placed inside.
pamperedpals
Gold Member
I'm hoping you all can help me out. I have customer who is looking for a german pancake recipe that you cook in a pan. She is absolutely positive that it is a PC recipe because it was done in a pc pan. It was a couple of years ago, she had it.

I can't find anything. Does anyone know what recipe she is looking for?

There was a popover puff a few years back that was done in the deep dish baker. Maybe that's what she's looking for.

This is the sweet version:

Apple Cranberry Popover Puff
Popover Puff
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 cup milk
6 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt

Apple Cranberry Filling
1 orange
½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 package (3 ounces) vanilla cook and serve pudding and pie filling (not instant)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 firm, red baking apples such as Jonathan
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Cook's Tip)
Powdered sugar
Vanilla ice cream or thawed, frozen whipped topping(optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. For popover puff, place butter in small micro-cooker; microwave, covered, on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Measure 1 tablespoon of the butter into bottom of deep dish pan; brush
over bottom only. In a bowl, combine remaining butter, milk and eggs using whisk. In small bowl, stir together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; whisk 1 minute or until smooth. Pour batter into baker. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF; continue baking 10-15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.

2. Meanwhile, prepare apple cranberry filling. Zest orange to measure 1 tablespoon zest. Juice orange; add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In large micro-cooker, combine orange zest, orange juice, cranberries, pudding mix and cinnamon; mix well. Core and slice apples, leaving peel on. Cut apples in half and separate slices into pudding mixture. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 4 minutes; stir gently. Continue micro-waving 4-5 minutes or until glaze is thickened and clear; stir gently to evenly coat apples with glaze.

3. Remove puff from oven to cooling rack; let stand 3 minutes or until puff begins to fall, forming a shell. If necessary, use paring knife to cut around sides of puff to loosen from baker.

4. Spoon filling into center of puff. Sprinkle toasted almonds around edges of filling. Sprinkle entire puff with powdered sugar. Slice and serve. If desired, serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

And this is the savory:

Lemony Chicken Popover Puff

Popover Puff
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 cup milk
6 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Chicken & Vegetable Filling
2 medium carrots, peeled
1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half diagonally
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 lemon
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups diced cooked chicken (12 ounces)
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons All-Purpose Dill Mix
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. For popover puff, place butter in small microwave-cooker; microwave, covered, on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Measure 1 tablespoon of the butter into bottom of a deep dish baker; brush over bottom only. In a bowl, combine remaining butter, milk and eggs. In a bowl, stir together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; whisk 1 minute or until smooth. Pour batter into baker. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF; continue baking 10-15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.

2. Meanwhile, prepare chicken and vegetable filling. Using a crinkle cutter, cut carrots in half lengthwise then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices to measure 1 cup. Cut snap peas in half. Chop onion. Place carrots, snap peas, onion and butter in microwave-cooker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; set aside.

3. Juice lemon using a juicer to measure 2 tablespoons juice. Finely dice bell pepper. In clean a bowl, combine lemon juice, bell pepper, soup, chicken and dill mix; mix well. Microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until hot, stirring once. Grate cheese. Add cheese and half of the vegetable mixture into filling; mix gently.

4. Remove puff from oven to cooling rack; let stand 3 minutes or until puff begins to fall, forming a shell. If necessary, use a paring knife to cut around sides of puff to loosen from baker.

5. Spoon filling into center of puff. Arrange remaining vegetable mixture around edges of filling. Slice and serve.

Yield: 8 servings or 16 sample servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 360, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 220 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g, Protein 23 g, Sodium 650 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook's Tip: Dried dill weed can be substituted for the All-Purpose Dill Mix, if desired.

(Hooray for Joyce's Fine Cooking!)

I have two versions in my files... not sure which one she is looking for...

Attachments

• German Apple Pancake.doc
    70 KB · Views: 360
  • German Apple Pancakes.doc
    70 KB · Views: 284
You guys are awesome! Ann, that is what I originally thought it was, the popover, but it wasn't. :(

Colleen, I will ask if either of these sound familiar to her. Thanks!:)

This is my own recipe for german pancakes and is very easy (and cooks in the oven)
heat oven at 400 degrees farenheit
put your skillet with 3T of butter in oven while it preheats

Take 4 eggs
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup milk
1T sugar

Whisk till no lumps

take skillet out of oven (butter should be melted) pour in the batter
Cook for 20 minutes at 400

This of course is not the recipe she is looking for, but it is yummy!

Related to Looking for a German Pancake Recipe

What ingredients do I need to make a German pancake?

To make a German pancake, you will need all-purpose flour, eggs, milk, salt, and butter.

Can I make a German pancake without a cast iron skillet?

Yes, you can use a 9x13 inch baking dish or a 10-inch pie dish as a substitute for a cast iron skillet.

Do I need to let the batter rest before cooking?

Yes, it is recommended to let the batter rest for 30 minutes before cooking to allow the gluten to relax and the batter to thicken.

How do I know when the German pancake is done?

The pancake is done when it is puffed up and golden brown on the edges. You can also insert a toothpick in the center to check for doneness.

Can I add toppings to the German pancake?

Yes, you can add toppings such as fruit, powdered sugar, whipped cream, or syrup to the German pancake before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• doughmama
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • carlajanes
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Krista Burson
  • pamperedlinda