• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lava Cake in the Dcb in the Oven?

checked out the recipe and it doesnt look like it would work in an oven. I think the cook time might be too long or something.I also tried it and it didn't turn out well. I think the cook time might be too long or something.Have you tried it yet? :]When I first became a Consultant, I audited one of my Director's shows at which she made a flip cake (same as the lava cake) in the Fluted Stone. The host's microwave was too small, so it was baked in the oven. It did not turn out well, but part of that may have been because no one was sure of the cooking time.have not tried it BUT...What if you
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
Anyone know how to do this? I have a customer and her microwave is too small for the DCB. She wants to know if this cake can be made in the oven? I told her she really needed to invest in a new microwave so she can enjoy all the great recipes! LOL, she's working on her husband to get a new one, but in the meantime - anyone have this answer?

pamperedlinda said:
Anyone know how to do this? I have a customer and her microwave is too small for the DCB. She wants to know if this cake can be made in the oven? I told her she really needed to invest in a new microwave so she can enjoy all the great recipes! LOL, she's working on her husband to get a new one, but in the meantime - anyone have this answer?

Sure it can be done in the oven. It's just a boxed cake mix.

Yep. The "magic" is that it can be done in the microwave. There is no magic about preparing a box cake mix in a conventional oven.

In rereading, I guess you're asking if it'll come out the same in the oven -- all ooeey gooey, etc. I'd think it would; In fact, I see no reason why it wouldn't. I've never "baked" frosting, but I can't imagine it being any different.

leftymac said:
In rereading, I guess you're asking if it'll come out the same in the oven -- all ooeey gooey, etc. I'd think it would; In fact, I see no reason why it wouldn't. I've never "baked" frosting, but I can't imagine it being any different.

Exactly :)

How long do you think you would bake it? What temp - 350? How would you check it for doneness since it's supposed to be ooey gooey? Boxed mixes don't really give times for this size/shape pan. I don't like these kinds of cakes so I'm not willing to give it a try.

Because of the length of time that the frosting would bake, I would think that the liquid would bake off and you'd have a layer of hard chocolatey (perhaps burnt chocolatey) goo.Here's an idea, why don't you try it and let the rest of us know?

RMDave said:
Because of the length of time that the frosting would bake, I would think that the liquid would bake off and you'd have a layer of hard chocolatey (perhaps burnt chocolatey) goo.

Here's an idea, why don't you try it and let the rest of us know?

since we posted @ the same time....refer to my post above this one :)

I am a cake snob and I do not like boxed mix microwave cakes :p

I didn't suggest you serve it to family and friends ... when people ask if anybody has prepared a recipe and nobody answers, the obvious suggestion is for them to prepare it and let everybody know how it turned out.I too am a cake snob. But I try out all sorts of boxed mixes as part of my job. How else will I know what the pitfalls are .. or whether the recipe will produce the result I want at a cooking show.

If you do it in the oven, keep it covered. That should help to keep the moisture in the baker and not cook off as much. You just bake it till the cake is done. (I know, dontcha love when people say that! ;) :D ) But seriously, just cook it the minimum time listed on the cake mix and test it. Although, the baker is going to need a little more time than a 9x13 I would imagine, since the baker is deep and not as long.

bumping - has anyone tried this?

pamperedlinda said:
bumping - has anyone tried this?

Nope, Linda. We're waiting for you to try it and report back. :p

Have you tried it yet? :]

When I first became a Consultant, I audited one of my Director's shows at which she made a flip cake (same as the lava cake) in the Fluted Stone. The host's microwave was too small, so it was baked in the oven. It did not turn out well, but part of that may have been because no one was sure of the cooking time.

have not tried it BUT...

what if you put the icing on the bottom of the stone- and top with cake batter??

and probably cover it

Hey Linda....have tried it twice at shows due to hosts not having a big enough microwave when I got there!! So we cooked in oven and NO it does not come out the same...the frosting kinda just disappears into the cake but the guests all said it still tasted great, but no DCB's were sold at either show! Good luck!

Had a blast at Disney!

thanks for all the updates. My customer made her husband buy her a bigger microwave, so she solved her own problem.

LOL.

You can also make this cake in the fluted stone or the rice cooker. I think the cooking time is shorter for the rice cooker. Not sure about the fluted stone ... did that a couple of microwaves ago.

1. How do I make Lava Cake using the Deep Covered Baker in the Oven?

To make Lava Cake in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB) in the oven, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly spray the inside of the DCB with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare your favorite lava cake batter according to the recipe, then pour it into the greased DCB. Cover the DCB with the lid and place it in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Let the cake cool for a few minutes before serving, and enjoy your delicious lava cake!

2. Can I use a different type of cake mix for Lava Cake in the DCB?

Yes, you can use any type of cake mix for Lava Cake in the DCB as long as it is the correct size for the recipe. Just follow the instructions on the cake mix box, and pour the batter into the greased DCB. Make sure to check the cake for doneness before removing it from the oven.

3. How do I prevent the Lava Cake from sticking to the DCB?

To prevent the Lava Cake from sticking to the DCB, make sure to lightly spray the inside of the DCB with non-stick cooking spray before adding the batter. You can also use a light dusting of flour to coat the greased DCB before pouring in the batter.

4. Can I make multiple Lava Cakes in the DCB at once?

Yes, you can make multiple Lava Cakes in the DCB at once. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, and check the cakes for doneness before removing them from the oven. You may also need to rotate the DCB in the oven to ensure even baking.

5. Can I use the DCB in the microwave to make Lava Cake?

No, the DCB is not meant to be used in the microwave. It is specifically designed for use in the oven. Using it in the microwave may cause damage to the DCB and can be a safety hazard. Always use the DCB according to the instructions and in the designated oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • KCPChef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • Tara Volpenhein