• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Laptops for Conference: Tips for Taking Notes & Avoiding Loss"

In summary, the conversation revolves around using laptops for taking notes at conferences and the potential distractions and retention issues that come with it. Some people suggest bringing a laptop for business purposes, but not for taking notes during sessions. Others mention a study that shows better retention when writing notes by hand rather than typing them. Overall, it is recommended to handwrite notes during sessions and use a laptop for typing them up later.
jwpamp
I am new, and just ordered one on Dell.com that should be here in time. Does anyone use them to take notes, etc....don't want it to end up missing, though!

Yes, people do take them to conference (I dont' have one so I don't).

Are you more likely to remember the information if you write it out? Will you have travel time (when you are not driving) to go over your notes on the way home? I like to pack a highlighter so I can use the train ride home to mark the points I most want to remember.

Oh, please don't bring one to take notes during the training sessions. The clicking noise can be quite disturbing to those around you while the speaker is presenting. However, it might be good to have if you are trying to keep up with your business while at conference.

Thanks!
Lisa

Lisa, I couldn't agree MORE!!! Last year in one of the workshops the lady next to me was clicking away, and I was sooooo irritated because I couldn't concentrate on the presentation. People all around me were shooting the offender some pretty nasty looks, and one of the presenters kept glaring at her (we were in the front row). If you bring a laptop, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE type the notes afterwards.

Thank you :)

Diane

I'm definitely taking my laptop - for business - but I would not dream of taking it into a session. The clicking is soooo irritating & distracting! I think I remember more writing stuff down anyway. Then later going back and highlighting.

There was a study done about note taking by laptops and writing it down. It was found out that you retain more by writing it down, when using a laptop your just like stenographer (sp? the person in court that types everything up) you don't retain it. Some Professors are starting to ban laptops in class because of this. I'm a full time student and I use a laptop in some of my class's and I have to admit that this is true. Your to busy trying to type everything that is being said that your not paying as much attention.

Go ahead and take a lap top to type up your handwritten notes if you want to, but I would suggest to hand write your notes in the class's.

I would definately have to agree with that study, I know for a fact that I retain more when I write the things down, then I might rewrite them so that they make more sense later, or type them up.

I don't think I could balance it on my lap that long!

1. Can I use any laptop for taking notes at a conference?

While any laptop can technically be used for note-taking at a conference, there are certain features that can make the process easier and more efficient. Look for laptops with long battery life, lightweight design, and a comfortable keyboard for extended typing. Additionally, having a reliable internet connection and enough storage space for saving notes and presentations can also be helpful.

2. How can I avoid losing my notes on my laptop during a conference?

One way to avoid losing notes on your laptop is to regularly save your work and back it up to an external hard drive or cloud storage. Additionally, you can use note-taking apps or programs that automatically save your work as you type. It's also a good idea to have a fully charged battery or a backup power source in case of unexpected power outages.

3. Are there any specific settings or features I should adjust on my laptop for conference note-taking?

It's always a good idea to adjust your laptop's display settings for optimal viewing during a conference. This may include adjusting the screen brightness, font size, and resolution. You may also want to disable any notifications or pop-ups that could be distracting during the conference.

4. What accessories should I bring with my laptop for conference note-taking?

Along with your laptop, it can be helpful to bring a mouse or stylus for easier navigation and note-taking. If you plan on participating in group discussions or workshops, consider bringing headphones to minimize distractions. You may also want to bring a portable charger or extra cords in case of any technical difficulties.

5. Is it okay to use a tablet or smartphone instead of a laptop for conference note-taking?

While tablets and smartphones can be convenient for note-taking, they may not have all the necessary features and capabilities as a laptop. It's important to consider the length of the conference, the amount of note-taking required, and the device's battery life before deciding to use a tablet or smartphone. It may be best to have a backup laptop or device available in case of any technical issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMary412
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • DebPC
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • Shawnna