• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Laptop Make Old New? or Buy New?

In summary, the requirements for Windows XP are that the computer has a 300 MHz or higher processor, that the processor is an Intel Pentium or Celeron family, and that 128 MB of RAM or higher is recommended.
Jess_K
Hi All :) So I have a laptop that I am considering trying to upgrade with Windows XP so I can incorporate it at my shows and have it usable.
Here are the current system details
product Compaq
processor AMD-K6(tm)-2 at 433 MHz
total memory 64 Megabytes
storage
C: Harddrive 3.172 GB
D : HD 1.352 GB
Windows 98

here are the requirements for Windows XP
(listed on newegg.com)
System Requirements PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.
Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

what do you all think? should I buy windows xp for $89.99 and upgrade this laptop? or lost cause ? and spend $500+ for a new one?

thanks for any and all input

Jess

The 128 MB RAM that's recommended for XP is a minimum. You'll really need to put more in if you want things to run well. And you'll need to check if your laptop can handle more. If it can, then the price of RAM will make a huge difference to whether it's more economical to upgrade than to buy new. (I suggest going to dealram.com to research prices for the type of RAM you need.)

Buy New!!! It won't be worth trying to upgrade that. You can get something about a hundred times better for pretty cheap. Those are pretty low specs.

Buy a new one...you will spend more time fighting the older machine to run XP than it is worth.

Definitely buy new, my day job is working in computers. If you were able to get Windows XP installed on that laptop, it would be unbelievably slow and very frustrating to use.

Check Hewlett Packard (HP) at HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers and more for laptops, theirs start at $500 and the base laptop for that price would be a great laptop to take to parties. If anyone asks me to help them with a new laptop purchase, I always send them to HP, very good computers and great prices.

HP also sells the Compaq brand, so you may see some of them on their site.

David

Related to Laptop Make Old New? or Buy New?

1. Can I upgrade my old laptop to make it perform like a new one?

Yes, you can upgrade certain components of your old laptop such as the RAM or hard drive to improve its performance. However, keep in mind that the overall performance will still be limited by the processor and other hardware components.

2. How much will it cost to upgrade my old laptop?

The cost of upgrading your old laptop will depend on the specific components you want to upgrade and their compatibility with your laptop. It is best to consult with a technician or do some research to get an estimate of the cost.

3. Is it better to upgrade my old laptop or buy a new one?

This ultimately depends on your needs and budget. If your old laptop meets your basic needs and only needs a few upgrades, it may be more cost-effective to upgrade. However, if your laptop is outdated and cannot keep up with your needs, it may be better to invest in a new one.

4. How do I know if my old laptop is worth upgrading?

If your old laptop is still in good working condition and only needs a few upgrades to meet your needs, it may be worth upgrading. However, if your laptop is several years old and has multiple hardware issues, it may be more beneficial to invest in a new one.

5. Can I sell my old laptop and use the money towards buying a new one?

Yes, you can sell your old laptop and use the money towards buying a new one. Just make sure to properly wipe all personal data from the old laptop before selling it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mandydollie
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • emo812
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
emo812
Back