• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Just for Fun...the Meaning of < and >

In summary, the meaning of the greater-than and less-than symbols is that the smaller number always points to the arrow that points to the smaller number.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Ok, the engineer brain in me has been silently chuckling for a few months now seeing people use < and > interchangeably and knowing they aren't all right.

So, I have to explain the meaning of both so the anal/detailed tendencies I have are at peace.

< means less than
> mean greater than

As you read you read left to right so 2 < 5 mean 2 is less than 5 and is true. 2 > 5 would read 2 is greater than 5 and is not correct.

I hope that helps those who are symbol challenged - he-he-he...

Here is another blurb on it - taken from another website:

"How about, "How do we use greater-than/less-than symbols to show relative sizes of numbers?"

In that case, you can say, "The arrow always points to the smaller number."

That means that with 12 and 3 for instance, you would put a > if you wrote the 12 first, giving you 12>3. Now you know for sure that 12 is greater than 3, and the smaller end is pointing at 3, so you would logically call that symbol a "greater-than" symbol.

If you had 2 and 8, you would write 2<8 (because the arrow points to the smaller number) and you would call it a less-than symbol. If you had 8 and 2, you would write 8>2, and call it a greater-than sign.

So you see, when it is pointing right, it is called a greater-than sign, and when it is pointing left, it is called a less-than sign. But remembering it that way is pure rote memory, which is the dumbest way to learn, (and the most popular way for math teachers to teach!)

Learn the sense of it, and you will never be able to forget it, because you will understand why it works.

Unfortunately, teachers, administrators, and other beaurocrats like to ask stupid questions like, "Which way does the greater-than symbol point?" That is testing about their silly names for things, not about if you understand the things. Any test with a question like that should be chucked. A better way to ask is "Fill in the blank. 12____5 using > or <."

Here is a memory device to remember if the arrow points to the larger or smaller number:
The smaller end of the symbol points towards the smaller number. Makes sense, doesn't it? The reason to learn math is to use it to help your world make sense, not to pass some idiotic tests. "

I hadn't noticed the < > misuse, but when I was in elementary school (and it stuck with me) our teacher had us draw eyes and teeth on the symbol so that it looked a bit like and alligator and told us the alligator's open mouth was always towars the bigger number since he was greedy (same idea as the arrow points to the arrow pointing to the smaller number).

ENTER > =In other words...RPN > AlgebraicAnd if neither mean anything to you, then you don't speak Reverse Polish and the whole discussion is wasted on you, anyway.

Just for you, Janet, I updated my profile. :)The misuse has been bugging me, too.

chefann said:
Just for you, Janet, I updated my profile. :)

The misuse has been bugging me, too.

Funny Ann :) (Updating your own profile)

Mine's right. More than 5, less than 6. But the field won't accept 3 characters, so I can't put 5.5.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
ENTER > =

In other words...

RPN > Algebraic

And if neither mean anything to you, then you don't speak Reverse Polish and the whole discussion is wasted on you, anyway.

My HP calculator in college used RPN and it really took me awhile to get used to! Then when it died...:( ...I kept trying to use a "regular" calculator and would the keys in the wrong order...

3 enter 4 plus....

Could never find that enter key...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
ENTER > =

In other words...

RPN > Algebraic

And if neither mean anything to you, then you don't speak Reverse Polish and the whole discussion is wasted on you, anyway.

I took the Basic Math class in college (the one that all the football players take!), so you've lost me. But I could draw you a number line!

janetupnorth said:
My HP calculator in college used RPN and it really took me awhile to get used to! Then when it died...:( ...I kept trying to use a "regular" calculator and would the keys in the wrong order...

3 enter 4 plus....

Could never find that enter key...
Yup - once you learn Reverse Polish Notation, you don't want to go back to algebraic. I don't know why people have such trouble with it, because it's exactly the logic one uses when calculating with a pencil and paper - only many of us have forgotten how. It's the notation, and the concept of a stack, that drives the unknowing crazy.

I was in a store where the power burped and all the cash registers rebooted. The store closed because without the computer on the cash register, none of the cashiers knew how to correctly count back change.

Kids need to learn their gozintas before Mommy & Daddy give them a calculator!

BTW - Reverse Polish was documented in the 1920's by Professor Jan Łukasiewicz at the University of Warsaw. His son, Jan Jr., used to teach math at Ohio State. While several computers from the early '60s and later used RPN, it was the HP-35, the first real handheld calculator introduced in 1972, the popularized Reverse Polish with the scientific and engineering community. The HP-38, and later the HP-12, became the defacto calculator in the financial community and I still have mine!

Wow, KG...

This is so far over my head...but I'm okay with that because I CAN count back change!!!

Unfortunately, I was an adult before I learned to count back change...

I share your frustration - I hate it when you toss them an extra penny or two and they forget to type it in and stare at the cash register dumbfounded. ...like you can't add two cents to my change and figure that out! Grrr.....

The public schools in our area want the kids to bring a calculator in first grade...I don't have my daughter going there for one, 2nd, I bought her an abacus for Christmas - that is the closest she is getting to a calculator for awhile. I want her to learn to use her brain.

Other than to calculate tax, I still have a hard time using a calculator at shows because I'm so used to balancing my checkbook and other things by hand...one way to help keep your mind working...

DanielleQ said:
Wow, KG...

This is so far over my head...but I'm okay with that because I CAN count back change!!!
No, it isn't really. People make if difficult but it's really easy. I'm living proof of that. When you have an HP calculator with Reverse Polish Notation, you don't have to screw around with memory registers, you just start in the parentesis and work your way out - just like you do with a pencil.

74...75...$1.00...2...3...4...5...10...and 10 makes twenty. Thank you for shopping at KG's.

I never used RPN - never had a math class after Calculus in HS (hooray for AP tests!). But I DO know how to count back change. 2 summers in college I worked at a donut shop that had an ancient register - the kind with the columns of buttons, one column for dollar hundreds, one for dollar tens, etc. It added, but you couldn't enter the amount that the customer handed over. So we HAD to count change. You get really good at the common amounts (a dozen donuts was $3.19, so chances were good that the change would be .81, 1.81 or 6.81).

chefann said:
I never used RPN - never had a math class after Calculus in HS (hooray for AP tests!).

Yes, thank goodness for AP tests, but it only helped me take more sooner...I lost count of how many math-related classes I had...5 levels of Calculus, Differential Equations, Prob & Stats, Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting I & II, Accounting Principles, etc., etc.

Now, looking at it...I don't use much of it, and must have been crazy... :confused:

I hated < and > in 4th grade! I could never get it right...

*sigh*

TwinGirlsMom said:
I hated < and > in 4th grade! I could never get it right...

*sigh*

Too funny...I truly think it's something people either get right away or don't. I don't know why...I do remember tutoring math in Jr. High and High School and trying to explain it to people. It always made perfect sense to me, but I don't know why it didn't make sense to others.

I guess it's like Geometry and Algebra - they claim you either tend to get one or the other well, but not to many people get both...

If you need < > help, just come see us, we can be your virtual support group. :)

1. What is the meaning behind the symbols < and >?

The symbols < and > are known as "less than" and "greater than" signs, respectively. They are used in mathematical notation to indicate which number is larger or smaller.

2. Is there a specific order in which < and > should be used?

Yes, < is always used before >. For example, 7 < 10 means 7 is less than 10, while 10 > 7 means 10 is greater than 7.

3. Can < and > be used in everyday language?

Yes, these symbols can also be used in everyday language to indicate a comparison or hierarchy. For example, "She is < 5 feet tall" or "The CEO is > the manager."

4. Are there any other meanings for < and >?

Aside from their mathematical and comparative uses, < and > can also be used in programming languages to indicate opening and closing tags for HTML elements.

5. Can < and > be used interchangeably with "less than" and "greater than"?

Yes, < and > can be used interchangeably with "less than" and "greater than" in most cases. However, in some programming languages, using the symbols may have a different function than using the words.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperChefCarol
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies