• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Joe Biden: An Inspiring Story and a Great Addition to the Ticket

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of Joe Biden as Barack Obama's running mate and the positive impact he will have on the Democratic ticket. Biden's personal story of tragedy and resilience, as well as his political experience and outspoken nature, make him a strong ally for Obama. The conversation also touches on the differences between Biden and McCain and expresses support for Obama and Biden's ability to bring about change for the country.
ChefLisa
Here, the thread has been started.

I will start off by writing I think Obama made a very wise choice in picking Biden. Biden has amazing experience and is a great addition to the ticket.

One of the most inspiring stories about him is about when his wife and daughter were killed in a car accident and his sons were injured right after he was elected to the senate in 1972. When he was sworn in as Senator in 1973, it happened at his two son's bedsides. At that point Biden decided he would take the train into DC everyday so he could be with his family at night. Still today he hops the train for the 1 1/2 hour train ride to DC. Not sure if he also has a place in DC, but I find his story to be quite inspiring.

I also happen to like his sense of humor. No, I am not writing that is what makes a great leader, but I do like him.

Still don't know for whom I will vote, but I really like Biden!

Jean, if you read this, I think you and Biden would make a great ticket!!!

That is such a sad story.

Woohoo! Thanks, Lisa! :)

I LOVE Biden, and I have a lot of friends who are even more jazzed about the Democratic ticket now that Biden is on it.

I think he's a strong political ally who knows his way around Washington, but isn't part of the "system" - he has never been afraid to speak his mind and go against the grain if it was in the best interest of his delegation.

He will be a true asset to Obama and to this country. I can't wait to vote this ticket on November 4! :)

Jennie4PC said:
That is such a sad story.

Sorry you feel that way...

Thank you Lisa and Cathy for your support.

vwpamperedchef said:

Vanessa - think she meant it was a sad story about Biden's family, not about Biden being selected as VP - that's how I read it anyway.

You'll always have my support, Vanessa! :)

Oh--my mind isnt right tonight! Sorry Jennie:eek:

vwpamperedchef said:

I also interpreted the post as she thinks the accident was sad. Sometimes words get twisted in our minds because of our hearts. I know that happens to me quite often. Of course it usually involves my children.

Glad to help and prayers to you and your family!

He has good looking kids. ;)Personally I think Obama HAD to choose someone more like McCain and with experience. He had to pick "old" in the party (not that Biden is old physically) but politically otherwise he inexperience would be constantly brought out. Obama is lacking in many areas so he has to find someone to balance that to get people to vote for him.

sorry I totally ment about his kids and his wife.

janetupnorth said:
He has good looking kids. ;)

Personally I think Obama HAD to choose someone more like McCain and with experience. He had to pick "old" in the party (not that Biden is old physically) but politically otherwise he inexperience would be constantly brought out.

Obama is lacking in many areas so he has to find someone to balance that to get people to vote for him.

I don't think Biden is like McCain AT ALL, except that they're closer in age!!! If you read about their issues and policies, you'll see that they are not really that close.

I also don't think Obama is lacking in a lot of areas - I think he has what it takes to lead this country and make changes happen for the good of the people. I think it's an added bonus that Joe Biden is skilled in the ways of government and knows the right people to get things done. They are the perfect team to reform this government and get things back on track and away from the conservative right-wing backwards thinking that has gotten us into the hot water we're in now. McCain's policies and proposals on the issues don't really sound good to me, and I don't think they'll work. They're old ideas, and they've never worked in the past. Obama has new ideas, and Biden on his side will help him get those new ideas from "ideas" to "REALITY".

cathyskitchen said:
I don't think Biden is like McCain AT ALL, except that they're closer in age!!! If you read about their issues and policies, you'll see that they are not really that close.

I also don't think Obama is lacking in a lot of areas - I think he has what it takes to lead this country and make changes happen for the good of the people. I think it's an added bonus that Joe Biden is skilled in the ways of government and knows the right people to get things done. They are the perfect team to reform this government and get things back on track and away from the conservative right-wing backwards thinking that has gotten us into the hot water we're in now. McCain's policies and proposals on the issues don't really sound good to me, and I don't think they'll work. They're old ideas, and they've never worked in the past. Obama has new ideas, and Biden on his side will help him get those new ideas from "ideas" to "REALITY".

That point is meant in stature in politics, length of time/service, not alike in viewpoint.

One thing I like to remember is Bush and Clinton did not have a lot of international experience when they took office. Both of them surrounded themselves with people who did.

Did Ronald Reagan have a lot of international experience, either? No, I think he had more experience in movies before that! Sometimes, experience in politics isn't a good thing. Obama's experience as a community organizer are more impressive to me than 1 year of McCain's political career. Biden is just an added bonus to me, like the cherry on top of a sundae! :)

cathyskitchen said:

I would really love to know what exactly this means (the bolded part). What is the right-wing backward thinking that you are talking about? What is the hot water that we are in? Just trying to understand because as stated in a different thread, I consider myself to be pretty much right winged. I don't consider myself backward, though.

cathyskitchen said:
Did Ronald Reagan have a lot of international experience, either? No, I think he had more experience in movies before that! Sometimes, experience in politics isn't a good thing. Obama's experience as a community organizer are more impressive to me than 1 year of McCain's political career. Biden is just an added bonus to me, like the cherry on top of a sundae! :)

You are correct, Reagan did not have a lot of international experience either. He surrounded himself with great people also and is remembered by many as one of the greatest presidents we ever had.

cathyskitchen said:

Hmm...right-wing backwards thinking?

1955-1981 - Democrats controlled the Senate
1981-1987 - Republicans controlled the Senate
1987-1995 - Democrats controlled the Senate
1995-2001 - Republicans controlled the Senate
2001-2002 - Democrat
2002-2007 - Republican
2007-2009 - Democrat

That is about 37 years (D) to about 17 - who had the time to screw things up?

The House was under Democratic control most of that time and the Democrats have current control.

So if we are screwed up, I'd blame the policy-makers with controlling power during that time.

JAE said:
I would really love to know what exactly this means (the bolded part). What is the right-wing backward thinking that you are talking about? What is the hot water that we are in? Just trying to understand because as stated in a different thread, I consider myself to be pretty much right winged. I don't consider myself backward, though.

oh noooooooo!!!!!! :yuck: here we go again......can't we just copy and paste the slamming that went on in the palin thread and call it a day?? LOL!!! better not to!

biden is a good choice for obama just like palin is a good choice for mccain.

i think it's interesting that the non-standard pres candidate picked a standard running mate, and vice versa. i also heard that mccain's speech tonight will focus on "change" i hope he offers something of substance. palin didn't really have to, but mccain needs to.

it's very cool to see people of color and women up there with the older white guys this time! we've come a long way, baby! :D

Ok, I'm chuckling with you this time Susan. ;)

susanr613 said:
oh noooooooo!!!!!! :yuck: here we go again......can't we just copy and paste the slamming that went on in the palin thread and call it a day?? LOL!!! better not to!

biden is a good choice for obama just like palin is a good choice for mccain.

i think it's interesting that the non-standard pres candidate picked a standard running mate, and vice versa. i also heard that mccain's speech tonight will focus on "change" i hope he offers something of substance. palin didn't really have to, but mccain needs to.

it's very cool to see people of color and women up there with the older white guys this time! we've come a long way, baby! :D
Just asking for specifics. I'm not looking for a bashing.

JAE

My post is not directed at anyone in particular....just trying, again, to keep things calm.

My goodness I cant wait till Nov 4!

susanr613 said:
JAE

My post is not directed at anyone in particular....just trying, again, to keep things calm.

My goodness I cant wait till Nov 4!
I wasn't offended by your post. I just wanted to clarify that I truly want to get clarity on what those things mean. Not trying to start arguments, really.

cathyskitchen said:

I feel really stupid every time I read this because I don't get it. What is a community organizer? Is it someone whoe works for/starts a non-profit? Is it someone who sets up community watch and adopt-a-highway programs? Is it someone that pounds the pavement to get petitions to change school district lines? Is it someone who acts as a sort of psuedo-mayor of an unincorporated area to give them a little more clout to get better roads or police coverage?

This isn't meant to be inflammatory - I REALLY just don't know, and I can't find out.

Here's what I can find out:
This is something Obama did for about three years just out of college
He worked for a program that coordinated 8 Catholic parishes and grew the program to have a staff of 13 and an annual budget of $400,000
The program set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens.
He also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.

But I feel really obtuse because I still just don't get it.

KateD said:
I feel really stupid every time I read this because I don't get it. What is a community organizer? Is it someone whoe works for/starts a non-profit? Is it someone who sets up community watch and adopt-a-highway programs? Is it someone that pounds the pavement to get petitions to change school district lines? Is it someone who acts as a sort of psuedo-mayor of an unincorporated area to give them a little more clout to get better roads or police coverage?

This isn't meant to be inflammatory - I REALLY just don't know, and I can't find out.

Here's what I can find out:
This is something Obama did for about three years just out of college
He worked for a program that coordinated 8 Catholic parishes and grew the program to have a staff of 13 and an annual budget of $400,000
The program set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens.
He also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.

But I feel really obtuse because I still just don't get it.

Don't feel obtuse, I'm not sure what a community organizer is either... Regardless how you serve- a community organizer, or as a member of our military, or as a POW, or as a Mayor, or Governor...it's experience...some of it will help you in the white house, some of it will not-

Let me know if you find out what one is... My DH was on the board of directors for a 501 (c) (3)---he was also a State Captain for the MN Patriot Guard (of which he was a board member) Maybe he was considered a community organizer...he sure did organize the community in certain aspects. I'll have to ask him. :)

From Wikipedia:

Community organizing is a process by which people are brought together to act in common self-interest or to help others. While organizing describes any activity involving people interacting with one another in a formal manner, much community organizing is in the pursuit of a common agenda. Many groups seek populist goals and the ideal of participatory democracy. Community organizers create social movements by building a base of concerned people, mobilizing these community members to act, and developing leadership from and relationships among the people involved.

Community organizers act as area-wide coordinators of all the programs of different agencies so as best to meet community needs for health and welfare services. They also facilitate self-help programs initiated by local common-interest groups, for example, by training local leaders to analyze and solve the problems of a community. Community organizers work actively, as do other types of social workers, in community councils of social agencies and in community-action groups. At times the role of community organizers overlaps that of the social planners.

1. Who is Joe Biden?

Joe Biden is a politician and current Vice President of the United States. He has had a long career in politics, serving as a senator for Delaware for over 30 years before being chosen as Barack Obama's running mate in the 2008 presidential election.

2. What inspired the writing of "Joe Biden: An Inspiring Story and a Great Addition to the Ticket"?

The book was written to showcase Joe Biden's journey and accomplishments in politics, as well as highlight his character and leadership qualities. It aims to inspire readers and shed light on why he was a great addition to the 2008 presidential ticket.

3. Is this book only for political enthusiasts?

No, this book is not just for political enthusiasts. While it does focus on Joe Biden's political career, it also delves into his personal life and shares inspiring anecdotes that anyone can appreciate.

4. Is this book biased towards Joe Biden?

As a Pampered Chef employee, I cannot speak for the book's author or publisher. However, it is important to note that the book was written by a journalist and is meant to provide a balanced and objective perspective on Joe Biden's life and career.

5. What can readers expect to gain from reading this book?

Readers can expect to gain a better understanding of Joe Biden as a person and a political figure. They will also be inspired by his story and leadership, and gain insight into why he has been a great addition to the presidential ticket.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies