1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Jamaica, NY

1. dianevill

dianevill Senior Member Gold Member

Is anyone familiar with Jamaica, NY? I need to go there on business in a couple weeks and wanted to know if it's a pretty safe area. I am staying at a hotel close to JFK airport. When I called the hotel to ask if there were restaurants nearby, the gentleman told me there wasn't anything within walking distance and that I was in a residential neighborhood.

I travel a lot for my full-time job but this is my first trip to NY. I'm a bit nervous about this one...

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sep 16, 2009
  2. Ginger428

Ginger428 Legacy Member Gold Member

Don't be nervous, its safe. The 2 worst things about Queens is...#1 a thing called The Mets!!!!:yuck::eek::p ( huge Yankee fan here) & whenever you're looking for an address #, they all have Streets,Avenues,Roads,Places,Lanes,Boulevards!!!! :eek: All kidding aside, there is plenty to do & see, but I'm really familiar with the buses & trains, I would take a cab where ever I wanted to go.

Sep 16, 2009
  3. dianevill

dianevill Senior Member Gold Member

Thanks, Ginger! Got a nice chuckle!

Are there pretty many cabs around?

Sep 16, 2009
  4. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I've never been to NY, but a tip I got from traveling to other areas:
    find out from the Hotel or from the phone book what the phone number is for the Cab company in the area...if they aren't readily available, have the # preprogrammed into your cell-phone so you can call them when you need to.

Sep 16, 2009
  5. Geekgirl69

Geekgirl69 Advanced Member Gold Member

I must be the only Bronxite that grew up a Met fan (oh don't get me wrong, they do suck - and have most of my life, lol).

I agree tho about the addresses in Queens.

Sep 16, 2009
  6. Ginger428

Ginger428 Legacy Member Gold Member

Yes! Also I'm sure the hotel has plenty of numbers for cabs. But taking a yellow cab these days, they have VERY strict rules for themselves ie...they have listing of everything posted on the back of their seats. DUH!! what am I thinking! You've been to Conference? Its the same thing. If you are riding alone at night, all you have to do is take his hack# & name If it will make you feel any safer. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Our reputation is ALOT worse than we really are....;)

Sep 17, 2009
Have something to add?