• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

It's Been Established That Most Dislike the Ultimate Mandoline

Great advice! Thank you!Oh My!! I have some "grate" advice for you all.Whether you are using the Deluxe Cheese Grater or the UM you should cut your cheese into the size you'll be grating,then put it in the microwave for 8-12 seconds. The time depends on the power of the micro. Doing this brings the natural oils of the cheese to the surface and it grates beautifully!!! Remember too that the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze. No man handling the cheese!!!I tried the microwave thing once and had a puddle of cheese. I also put it in the freezer one time and forgot about it - frozen cheese doesn't grate well either
pamperedmomto3
Not to beat a dead horse, but can anyone give me advice on what I should do to prepare mozzarella cheese. I don't want to use the mandoline because it desimates (sp?) the cheese but that is the only tool I have at my disposal to deal with cheese. Should I have the host purchase shredded cheese or would that be a faux pas? Can anyone give me a good pizza recipe that showcases the large bar pan, garlic press, classic batter bowl, prep bowls, utility knife and chopper? Thanks so much in advance!

garden ranch pizza---freeze the mozz about 10 minutes before----use

Most of my hosts forget to buy blcok cheese and we just joke about it and use shreaded... I say something funny like... Oooo the magic of a cooking show- your cheese just appears shreaded...that's how good PC is! :) You just have to look at your cheese and it shreads.. or something corny like that!

If you freeze your cheese for 15 minutes prior to using the ultimate madolin, you can get better slices, AND just put a little in at a time... best of luck (I don't like the madolin either, and if I could, I'd sell it!) (sorry, I know that's not acceptable)

MORFIA said:
garden ranch pizza---freeze the mozz about 10 minutes before----use

Tried to freeze it and it did the same thing it always does.

i wd do most ahead of time----and or try to nuke it for a few minutes----as well as spray it with the spritzer----just tips----

I detest shredding cheese at my shows. I don't like either the UM or the DCG (personally, at home I use my aged box grater). I always tell my host that they can buy either the block cheese or the preshredded. If they buy block cheese I will grate the cheese before the show and save a small chunk to demo. If they buy the preshredded then I measure it in the Easy Read Measure Cups. Either way I have a tool to show.

Now, if we are using Parmesan Cheese that's a different story - I ALWAYS demo the Microplane - Love that thing!

I detest doing cheese on either the UM or the old USG. I was never able to get it to work.
I personally LOVE the DCG. I use it all the time, I don't even buy shredded cheese anymore.

pamperedlinda said:
I detest shredding cheese at my shows. I don't like either the UM or the DCG (personally, at home I use my aged box grater). I always tell my host that they can buy either the block cheese or the preshredded. If they buy block cheese I will grate the cheese before the show and save a small chunk to demo. If they buy the preshredded then I measure it in the Easy Read Measure Cups. Either way I have a tool to show.

Now, if we are using Parmesan Cheese that's a different story - I ALWAYS demo the Microplane - Love that thing!

I never grate soft cheeses at my show (always tell my host to get preshredded cheese) - always measure it into the ERMC - and also LOVE the Microplane!

pamperedlinda said:

Great advice! Thank you!

Oh My!! I have some "grate" advice for you all.
Whether you are using the Deluxe Cheese Grater or the UM you should cut your cheese into the size you'll be grating,then put it in the microwave for 8-12 seconds. The time depends on the power of the micro. Doing this brings the natural oils of the cheese to the surface and it grates beautifully!!! Remember too that the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze. No man handling the cheese!!!

I tried the microwave thing once and had a puddle of cheese. I also put it in the freezer one time and forgot about it - frozen cheese doesn't grate well either. In my opinion, these tips are adding an extra task to something that should be simple. I usually just take the cheese out of the fridge at the last minute and grate it really fast.

pamperedlinda said:
I tried the microwave thing once and had a puddle of cheese. I also put it in the freezer one time and forgot about it - frozen cheese doesn't grate well either. In my opinion, these tips are adding an extra task to something that should be simple. I usually just take the cheese out of the fridge at the last minute and grate it really fast.
That's what I do. I love the Ultimate Mandoline for lots of things. If I am shredding cheese for a show I do most of it when I arrive and pop a piece in the fridge to demo. It's a small piece so it takes no time and stays cold.

I prefer the "mess" of dealing with it to eating whatever those preservatives are that are in preshredded cheese.

I adore my UM and couldn't live w/o it!!!
I prefer the DCG for grating soft cheeses and tend to use my UM for slicing lemons & limes

dannyzmom said:
I prefer the DCG for grating soft cheeses and tend to use my UM for slicing lemons & limes
I agree. I love it too, but prefer the DCG for cheese.

I dont like using the mandoline at shows because with the old version I severed a part of my thumb at a show, lost tonnes of blood, passed out across the demo table, got taken out in an ambulance and required a transfusion.....

I actually really do like my DCG. I leave the cheese in the fridge to the last minute and dont press hard.

dannyzmom said:

I agree! I usually use my DCG for grating any cheese (except what can be done with the Microplane), but use the UM for all slicing, limes, tomato, cucumbers, zucchini, etc.

I too learned to microwave cheeses for 10 seconds before I grate it and my Upline Director told me that if the cheese clumps it's because you are trying too hard. Make sure to hold it gently so it doesn't get stopped up.

Shredded cheese is coated in cellulose, the white powdery looking stuff, to keep it from sticking together. :yuck: Ew, I just read more info than neccesary on Wikipedia...Cellulose is not digestible by humans and is often referred to as 'dietary fiber' or 'roughage', acting as a hydrophilic bulking agent for feces. :yuck: :yuck: That is why I tell people that they need the DCG...they don't need the extra cellulose in their cheese (won't ever use the exact wording of Wikipedia though ;) )

I too was worried about demoing the UM with cheese. I tried putting it in the freezer and it didn't help. I was then given the microwave tip by my director... and it does wonders!!! Just nuke it for 10 seconds or a little more depending on the size.

Does microwaving moz. cheese work? It's the worst, but I think I push down and I need to stop that.

dannyzmom said:

Same here... unless I'm doing slices of cheddar or mont. jack or something. But after about 10+ years of having the DCG, I finally figured out how to work it and LOVE it for mozz. cheese for pizza.

Love the UM. Grates cheese great!

I buy the biggest bag of pre-grated Mozz cheese at Smart & Final and keep it in the freezer. I take what I need to my shows in a small prep bowl. By the time I get there it has thawed out. I tell my hosts that I will provide the cheese to save them on the ingredients, they appreciate that. It saves me all the trouble and it's worth it, since I use it so much for different recipes it's a good investment and a write off.

Evelynt said:
Whether you are using the Deluxe Cheese Grater or the UM you should cut your cheese into the size you'll be grating,then put it in the microwave for 8-12 seconds. The time depends on the power of the micro. Doing this brings the natural oils of the cheese to the surface and it grates beautifully!!! Remember too that the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze. No man handling the cheese!!!

I have done this for years and tell all my customers about it for the DCG. I have turned many customers from gtater haters into Lovers!

ETA.. Tip..... Start nuking at 5 secconds. Some new micros are very strong! If you start at 10 secconds in most new micros you will have a puddle of cheese. You want it just warm so the cheese looks a bit shiny.

Still HATE doing cheese on the UM!
Getting to like it for everything else though. It just takes getting used to after loving something elso so much for so long......

Last edited:
I don't think I saw anyone post a recipe for pizza that highlights all the tools that was asked for at the beginning of this thread. When I started two years ago I did this recipe for most of my first shows and it was a hit. I still do it every once in a while and also make it at home. I give it to guests that purchase the large bar pan and recommend they make it to help season the stone...

It is adapted from the Stoneware Inspirations cookbook (pg. 13). The focaccia bread - I call it a pizza bread because it is more like pizza and I add onion so you can use the chopper...

I'll try to attach it here.

Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

• Focaccia Pizza Bread.doc
    27 KB · Views: 282
Ok, ladies and gents: When I demo the DCG I first ask, who has this wonderful tool and just HATES IT! I usually get a few hesitations, but a few hands will go up. Then I have a child (old enough to handle it! I've had some as young as 6!) come up to help me. The child doesn't realize that they have to squeeze it (logic of a child! This is the trick to this tool!) to get it to grate. When the child grates it beautifully, they all look in amazement to the reason that the cheese actually grates! Whether you use hard cheese or soft cheese, DON'T SQUEEZE IT THOUGH THE GRATER!

Go and get a piece of cheese right now and try it. After you get the feel for it, it will NEVER be a problem again! No microwave needed! Good Luck with your UM AND DCG!

i'm not the biggest fan of the UM... and i know its crazy but i actually like the ultimate slice your finger off much better...

I called my host for tonight and told her to get the shredded mozarella. I do not like grating mozarella and I figure my customer do not either anyway! HA! I am going to grate the parmesean cheese though.

heatherkiss said:
Love the UM. Grates cheese great!

Okay, what are you doing that I'm not doing? I also have a ton of trouble with tomatoes.

Count me in the Love the UM club.

I love the UM too. I love the grater, not only for cheese, but also for carrots, potatoes, zucchini, etc.....

I put the cheese in the microwave also on the defrost setting (so not too hot) for only a few seconds basically to take the chill out and it is slightly soft. I have grated 2 pounds of monz for homemade pizza in minutes. The key is not to heat the cheese so it starts melting.
Works perfect even when my husband use it!
Cathy

what is the dc?how cani get one because i have a herd time with the mandoline.

I don't shred cheese at the shows ... I use the mandoline for other things. Green peppers work pretty well.

28sal said:
how cani get one because i have a herd time with the mandoline.

I think you are asking about the Deluxe Cheese Grater, #1275, $19.50 . I don't have one (I'm waiting to buy most things until my kit enhancement month, so I can mke the most of my PC $!!!), but I've heard it is great once you get the hang of it.

I used to hate grating cheese with the ultimate mandoline; until, i stopped using the hand gaurd. it works AMAZING!! Just use it like a box grater! on a side note does anyone have the garden ranch pizza recipe mentioned in this thread? i'm fairly new & can't fine the recipe...Thanks soo much!!!:chef:

A quick tip I got at my last team meeting: when grating soft cheese, nuke it if you're using the DCG, chill it if you're using the UM. I tried it on my UM last night (taco night) and it worked great!

I love my UM...wish it had a french-fry blade. I've had tons of requests for it.

dannyzmom said:
I love my UM! Use it all the time! And I do cheese and everything on mine! I do like my DCG for small jobs! Especially now that I microwave my cheddar! I love it! That was a tip from National Conference about 5 years ago! Just a plug for National Conference!:thumbup: ;) :sing:

I don't really like mine, but I set it up for an interactive show yesterday and sold one with a few more VERY interested customers. I put out some potatoes for everyone to try, then I set the food chopper out and let them chop the potato slices. :)

Evelynt said:

It works, it really works. I shred cheese with the DCG at shows all the time. The microwave really works. Forget the freeze!

um-um-good said:
I used to hate grating cheese with the ultimate mandoline; until, i stopped using the hand gaurd. it works AMAZING!! Just use it like a box grater! on a side note does anyone have the garden ranch pizza recipe mentioned in this thread? i'm fairly new & can't fine the recipe...Thanks soo much!!!:chef:

Here's the recipe.

Attachments

• Garden Ranch.doc
    23 KB · Views: 236
DebbieJ said:
Count me in the Love the UM club.

I love it too, especially for cucumbers! Love that I can cut one in half and do it side-by-side! With tomatoes, do it so it cuts acrodd the stem part (if it were an apple you'd see the seed stars). You'll have picture perfect tomatoes. :)

I love shredding parm into the little storage cup thing and leaving that in my fridge for the family to use.

I really like the UM, just not for shredding cheese...ESPECIALLY at shows. It is too awkward and messy. I took the advice of my director and shred it at home. I buy a big block at the wholesale club, then run it through my food processor and store it in a big bag in my freezer. Then, before a show, I take out what I need to bring with me. At the show, I talk about the UM and how great it is with shredding cheese, etc., but I use the excuse of "in an effort to save time..." and "I don't want to bore you...you've all seen cheese grated before" or something like that. It usually gets some chuckles and I have easily slipped by not having to do it in front of them.

pamperedmomto3 said:
Okay, what are you doing that I'm not doing? I also have a ton of trouble with tomatoes.
I no longer use the UM for tomatoes. I now use the Santoku knife. I slice them as thin as possible and let them know it is my favorite knife and has yet to be sharpened.

pamperedmomto3 said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but can anyone give me advice on what I should do to prepare mozzarella cheese. I don't want to use the mandoline because it desimates (sp?) the cheese but that is the only tool I have at my disposal to deal with cheese. Should I have the host purchase shredded cheese or would that be a faux pas? Can anyone give me a good pizza recipe that showcases the large bar pan, garlic press, classic batter bowl, prep bowls, utility knife and chopper? Thanks so much in advance!
3-cheese garden pizza worked for me!

Related to It's Been Established That Most Dislike the Ultimate Mandoline

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "It's Been Established That Most Dislike the Ultimate Mandoline"?

1. Why do most people dislike the Ultimate Mandoline?

2. Can you recommend an alternative tool for preparing mozzarella cheese?

3. Is using shredded cheese instead of slicing it with the mandoline a good idea?

4. Would it be considered rude to ask the host to purchase shredded cheese for a recipe?

5. Can you share a pizza recipe that utilizes the large bar pan, garlic press, classic batter bowl, prep bowls, utility knife, and chopper?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Katiechef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Katiechef
  • scottcooks