• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should we be concerned about H1N1 flu in our meat from small farms?

In summary, USDA confirms first case of H1N1 flu in U.S. hog. This is why I buy my meat/chicken/etc...from places like THIS. Interestingly, nearly all influenza viruses originate from avian influenza (from birds) and when combined with a human version it mutates into a new strain. Transmission to humans is accomplished by inhaling viral particles. The last time we had an H1N1 version of influenza was in 1918-1919 and killed 546,000 people worldwide. With kids who get sick easy and right now one has strep, I'm NOT looking forward to this awful season.
Luckily you can't catch the swine flu from eating the meat of an infected animal. I just went thru a class at the hospital for education to keep my medical license and they explained the entire process of how the virus spreads. Interestingly, nearly all influenza viruses originate from avian influenza (from birds) and when combined with a human version it mutates into a new strain. Transmission to humans is accomplished by inhaling viral particles.The last time we had an H1N1 version of influenza was in 1918-1919 and killed 546,000 people worldwide. That was before we had vaccines, prevention and general sanitation. Also, the nasal vaccine is a weak form of the active virus and the shot is an inactive form of the virus.Ok, enough for the medical lesson for today! Keep your hands washed and stay home if you are sick!

Last edited:
You cannot get the H1N1 virus from eating or handling pork. Animals get some of the same illnesses we get...they have asthma, food/skin allergies, respiratory illnesses, etc. However, I am assuming that since the pig contracted the illness from humans, that it might be able to be passed back in the same way. I'm not a doctor, but I am assuming just like we pass it to other humans...coughing, sneezing, not washing your hands, etc. I'm wondering if other animals could get this...house pets maybe. This is the flu season, so everyone please take precautions. This could be devistating for the pork industry if they don't make it clear that you can't get it from eating or handling pork.

Thanks Janice...I guess we were typing at the same time...your answer is more scientific than mine...lol

Actually, many animal species can transmit the Type A influenza...birds, pigs, horses, seals, whales. Birds are the natural host for the influenza A viruses that produce the H_N_ (there are several #s that could follow the letters H & N). When the Human and Avian (bird) influenza both infect a pig, the virus can quickly mutate into another form that can re-infect humans with a strong form of a Human-Avian version (we call it a swine flu, blaming the poor pig who was just the host for the two strains!).Dogs and cats do not transmit influenza viruses to humans. Bird influenza, however is the type that can transmit to humans.

This is just so scary! I am glad there are some cheffers who have the facts!

Me too. We've got a school about an hour from us that shut down before Columbus Day due to outbreaks.

We have friends whose kids go to a different school in our county and I just got an email from the Mom and said they'd just got a call from school district this evening letting parents know there are an additional 7 confirmed cases of H1N1 as of today.

Pretty scary stuff. With kids who get sick easy and right now one has strep, I'm NOT looking forward to this awful season.

I agree, stop blaming the poor pigs, they can't help it and I'm still going to eat my bacon, ham, pork tenderloin. Matter of fact, we had ham paninni's tonight.

My oldest has a friend that her parents have told her, 1 confirmed case in our school and they are pulling her and home schooling her until this is over. I said by that point, it might be too late, she's exposed. Frankly walking in Walmart you never know what you can get, lol.

Lisa

Ok Janice, do you get vac. for both reg. flu and H1N1, IF you can find them in your area??

Lisa

I'd also like to point out this hog was not found at a commercial packing plant, but at a County Fair, possibly raised by 4H-ers (the kids who became sick were from 4H, but were not the ones who raised the hog). I'm pretty sure the infected hog was raised in much the same way as those on the farm from which Becky buys her meat.

What is the Swine Flu?

The Swine Flu is a viral infection caused by the H1N1 influenza virus. It originated in pigs, but can also spread to humans and cause illness.

How is the Swine Flu transmitted?

The Swine Flu can spread from person to person through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching your mouth or nose.

What are the symptoms of the Swine Flu?

The symptoms of the Swine Flu are similar to the regular seasonal flu and may include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue. Some people may also experience vomiting and diarrhea.

How can I prevent getting the Swine Flu?

The best way to prevent the Swine Flu is to get vaccinated. You should also practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and avoiding close contact with sick individuals.

What should I do if I think I have the Swine Flu?

If you are experiencing symptoms of the Swine Flu, it is important to seek medical attention. Your doctor may prescribe antiviral medication to help reduce the duration and severity of your illness. It is also important to stay home and avoid contact with others to prevent further spread of the virus.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies