• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Selling to Empty Nesters Worth the Effort?

In summary, this conversation discusses ways to increase show average and how to market to empty nesters. The best way to increase your show average is to coach your host to better attendance. Additionally, selling to empty nesters requires meeting them a lot, being prepared to answer any and all questions, and having a great product to offer.
susanr613
Gold Member
Howdy:

What have you done to successfully increase your show average, specifically to sell higher-priced products? While I like seeing order forms with lots of stuff written on them, I prefer that the bottom line be more than just a couple digits before the decimal. :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone have any advice for selling to empty nesters? If I hear "I already have everything I need" one more time, I will just cry!

Thank you!
Susan

Makes you wonder why those people keep coming to the shows! I don't understand how someone will come & eat but not order a single thing.

I have a pretty decent show average. My personal rule is to never show anything under $15. My reasoning for this is that we've all been to other direct sales parties and we flip through the catalog and find the least expensive things in it to order. Guests are finding these things without my help...why would I point it out to them? I focus on higher priced items and their versatility and that justifies why they can buy it. Also, with our new interactive show, people will be handling the products more and will want them once they use them. Hope that helps!

The best way to increase your show average is to coach your host to better attendance.

stacywhitlow said:
Makes you wonder why those people keep coming to the shows! I don't understand how someone will come & eat but not order a single thing.

This one made me laugh - because I have a show tonight where the host is expecting 18-20 people - but I already know that 2 of them won't buy anything. It is a mother and daughter, and they seem to get invited to a lot of shows - in the past 6 months, they've been to 4 shows, and neither one of them has ever bought a thing. They don't fill out info for the drawings or anything! At the last show they attended, I thought for sure that the daughter was going to book a show - but she didn't. Without contact info (I don't have phone #'s or email addresses) I can't follow up with them. I'm pretty sure they don't want to be contacted - since they make a point not to fill out any contact info. They just come for the party!:rolleyes:

finley1991 said:
I have a pretty decent show average. My personal rule is to never show anything under $15. My reasoning for this is that we've all been to other direct sales parties and we flip through the catalog and find the least expensive things in it to order. Guests are finding these things without my help...why would I point it out to them? I focus on higher priced items and their versatility and that justifies why they can buy it. Also, with our new interactive show, people will be handling the products more and will want them once they use them. Hope that helps!

That is a great idea! I like to show the handy things that I know that most people will use, maybe I need to develop this concept into my shows and only show $15+ items too.

finley1991 said:

This is so true! That is why Outside Orders are never as high as orders at a show, and why Catalog Shows aren't usually as high in sales!

In order for people to want to buy the higher priced products, they need to see the value of them, and need to know that they will really use them. I ALWAYS make sure that my demo includes stoneware and cookware - if it doesn't, than I don't use it as a demo. Which is why, as much as I love some of the mini muffin recipes, I won't ever use them as a demo recipe. I've used them as a 2nd recipe, already made before the show ~ but I reserve my demo for showing and talking about the higher priced collections. This will also help with bookings.

For Empty Nesters - you need to meet them where they live. I sell alot of 8" saute pans and Trifle Bowls to empty nesters! The saute pan - I talk about how it is the PERFECT egg pan, and how now I can do the perfect omelet, or fried egg, and it will slide right out of the pan. I ask how many have to replace their egg pan every year or two, and let them know that this is the last pan they will ever have to buy - and it will give them perfect results every time.
For the trifle bowl, I talk about having to make a dessert for a potluck, etc...and wanting something simple, but that also says WOW! I give them a few ideas about using it - and they love it!

ChefBeckyD said:
This one made me laugh - because I have a show tonight where the host is expecting 18-20 people - but I already know that 2 of them won't buy anything. It is a mother and daughter, and they seem to get invited to a lot of shows - in the past 6 months, they've been to 4 shows, and neither one of them has ever bought a thing. They don't fill out info for the drawings or anything! At the last show they attended, I thought for sure that the daughter was going to book a show - but she didn't. Without contact info (I don't have phone #'s or email addresses) I can't follow up with them. I'm pretty sure they don't want to be contacted - since they make a point not to fill out any contact info. They just come for the party!:rolleyes:
Bring a couple of extra aprons tonight and call them you official 'groupies'! See if you can get them to help you since they should know your job as good as you by now :chef:

pamperedlinda said:
Bring a couple of extra aprons tonight and call them you official 'groupies'! See if you can get them to help you since they should know your job as good as you by now :chef:

Oh THIS IS SO CUTE! I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

thank you so very much for the thoughtful and humorous replies! i will definitely try the not discussing anything under $15 and the omlet pan/trifle bowl angles.

thank you!!

I tell all my "non-cooks" that they at least need measuring cups and a can opener. This helps to point out that they do use kitchen gadgets even if they don't cook.

I sell alot of medium bar pans to older ladies. I talk about how with just me and my husband the medium bar pan fits our lifestyle better. Although I do prefer the large bar pan, you need to cover as much surface area as possible.

Also if you cannot get them to purchase higher priced items, suggest add on items for stuff they want to purchase: cookbook for stoneware, kitchen brush for stoneware/cookware, etc. Those little things add up if you can get them to purchase something that will compliment what they are already purchasing.

Also ... a lot of empty nesters live in small apartments and have small kitchens. They like the measure-all and adjustable spoons because it replaces their measuring cups and spoons ... also things they can give away as gifts!

pamperedlinda said:

Linda - I am standing up & applauding you. What a FANTASTIC way to handle these guests. You are BRILLIANT!!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Thanks Carolyn! Maybe tonight they'll give Becky their contact info - wouldn't it be funny if she recruited them?

Keep us postedGreat ideas! Keep us posted on how your groupies do!! Maybe they are possible recruits and are learning all they can from you!:chef:

pamperedlinda said:
Thanks Carolyn! Maybe tonight they'll give Becky their contact info - wouldn't it be funny if she recruited them?

I was all ready to have them help out......and they ended up not coming!:cry:

Next time though......!

The Pantry items are great for people who think they don't need our tools, too. They may not be as big a sale as a stone, but they add up, and you're likely to get a repeat sale after they use it up. :)

My biggest sellers last night - to a bunch of empty nesters - were the All The Best Cookbook, All sorts of spices and sprinkles, and bar pans (all sizes). The show was at a Condo Association Community Room, and there was no stove, oven, nothing - so I demoed the Clubhouse Chicken Squares.

When I first started selling PC I ran my shows the way I'd seen them run. Then I went to conference and a big demo on stage showed us the difference between talking about the technicalities of the products vs. the usefulness. Instead of saying it's made out of this or that and it comes all apart and you wash it like this etc, etc, you talk about how it helps you in the kitchen: I make this, this, and this. You can also do this, this, and this.
Then at the same conference I learned about spending my time talking about higher priced items. I used to talk about the "Wonder-cup" (now measure-all) and the Quikut paring knife because they were so useful and those were the first two items I ever purchased (just married, still in college, no money). Now, I use whatever I need to use, but I don't comment about anything under $15-$20. If I comment about under $20, I spend less time talking about them and really talk up the large stones the large cutting board the Chef's knife, etc. If I have room and it's practical, I bring the largest item of a group. Large Grooved Cutting Board instead of the regular size, Chef's knife instead of the Utility, Large Round Stone instead of the Small, Large serving Spatuala instead of the mini. (I may bring the smaller item to use for things, but in my actual demo I use the larger one.)
After conference that year, my sales went from $300 level shows to $500 level shows almost immediately and almost every show.
Hope this helps. It sure helped me.

I think host coaching for higher attendance is a great start. Let them know that you assume that at least 15 people will be there. It doesn't always happen, but at least you aren't shooting for 5! Also, I really stress outside orders. Not everyone can come and they won't necessarily invite the entire group that they work with, but they CAN order! That really increases sales...just encouraging them to mention that they are having a show. It's not asking for an order. So many people are waiting for the next show to come. I had a friend who casually mentioned having a PC show to a co-worker in the elevator. HE ordered about $140 worth of product!! I always tell that story now!!I think concentrating on higher priced items is great, but be sure to pick up a couple of popular true loves b/c everyone ends up buying one and that adds up. I've had that happen with Twix-its (some people don't have any yet!) and scrapers. That can increase a show by $50+ right there! But true, you don't spend 10 minutes on it. Just a few seconds and then let the crowd take over. I mention something like that and ask what they love about it when I need them to amuse themselves for a moment.

ChefBeckyD said:

Next time though......!
What, no groupies!

pamperedlinda said:
What, no groupies!

I know! and I had myself all psyched up to have them be my assistants!

ChefBeckyD said:

Next time though......!

Maybe they are SUCH groupies they were reading Chef Success and knew what she was up to? :rolleyes:

Related to Is Selling to Empty Nesters Worth the Effort?

1. What does "Bigger Bang for the Buck" mean?

"Bigger Bang for the Buck" is a phrase we use to describe getting the most value for your money. In other words, it means getting a great deal or getting more for less.

2. How can I get a "Bigger Bang for the Buck" with Pampered Chef products?

At Pampered Chef, we always strive to provide high-quality products at affordable prices. We also offer special deals, discounts, and promotions throughout the year, so make sure to keep an eye out for those to get the most out of your purchase.

3. Are there any specific products that offer a "Bigger Bang for the Buck"?

Yes, we have a range of products that offer a "Bigger Bang for the Buck." Our stoneware, for example, is known for its durability and versatility, making it a great value for its price. Our kitchen tools are also designed to provide excellent performance and last for a long time, giving you more value for your money.

4. How can I make sure I am getting the best value for my money with Pampered Chef?

To ensure you are getting the best value for your money, we suggest doing some research on our products before making a purchase. Read reviews, compare prices, and consider your needs to determine which products will give you the most value. You can also reach out to our customer service team for any questions or concerns.

5. Do you offer any guarantees for "Bigger Bang for the Buck" with your products?

Yes, we are confident in the quality and value of our products, which is why we offer a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund or exchange. We also offer a limited lifetime warranty on our non-electric products, so you can shop with peace of mind.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • pamperedpals
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
merego
  • DebPC