• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Offering Free Shows in Direct Sales Deceptive?

In summary, some PC consultants use a "free show" as a prize for drawings, which is seen as deceptive by some. The author suggests other inexpensive prizes that can be used instead.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
Just thought I'd start a new thread for those who aren't reading the "deceptive business behaviour" one.

I just wanted to say that I was pretty shocked when I first came across the idea of using a "free show" as a prize for drawings, and am glad to hear that others DON'T do that - I never will. In my opinion, it is one thing if you normally charge for providing ingredients, and then give them for free, or normally charge for a show (I'm not sure who would do that...), and then do one for free, but if not, I think it is extremely deceptive to do this. And what will your host think when she/he sees you getting bookings, that are also "free". Personally I would be ticked off, and not do business with you again. I would probably tell all of my friends too. There are other inexpensive prizes that can be used (SBRC anyone!?).

I am not meaning to be judgemental, because it has been mentioned so many times that I would guess that those of you who do it just think it is a normal thing to do, but I would really encourage you to think of first the ethics, and second, how your customers will feel being treated this way. It is obvious from the other thread (definately worth a read!) that we do not like the use of deceptive tactics to try to suck us in to buying other products, so why would we do the same thing. As it has been said many times before, let the products (and your enthusiasm for them) sell themselves.

I hope I'm not out of line in posting this (especially as I'm not even a consultant yet!! - signing up on the 31st), and I expect that some will disagree (and I'm fine with a healthy but respectful debate!) but this is something that has bothered me since I first read of it as a practice among PC consultants.

Hope you will all still read my posts!! I have valued you all so much these past months!

Annabel :)

Last edited:
I'm one of the ones who doesn't do this - for all of the reasons you posted.

Just recently, I read Doris Christopher's biography of how she started the business. I think if consultants would read that book, they would view their own business, and how they conduct their business, in a totally new light.

Sometimes, I offer a free show when I am trying to fill a certain date - but I'm always up front about what that means(I provide ingredients and tableware), and why I am doing it. When I offer them at a fair or booth - I have a sign that says "Book Your Show Today - and It's Free!" Never have I called people after the fact to say that they "won" a free show in the drawing. To me, that is wrong. And you are right - if someone did that to me, I would be offended.

I have never done the "free cooking show" thing, but a consultant I am working with suggested we give these away at our fundraiser show next weekend. I dont think she mean to give them away as "Prizes" more as an incentive, book today and all you have to do for your cooking show is invite people, we will do the rest!

I know some consultants normally provide the ingredients for the recipe, but I do not. I have enough expenses and invest enough $$ in pc without paying for the food their eating as well. I do normally bring a microwave cake for desert, and it always is a big hit, goes over really well, and I normally sell at least 3 bundt stones at each show because of this! So in this aspect, I dont think I would mind "offering" a free cooking show, but I would definately clarify what it was UP FRONT, and I would never call people from the fair/booth slips saying "Congratulations, you've won a free cooking show!" In my opinion it just sounds a little tacky and I don't think I need to treat people that way just to keep my business going! I think if you are genuine and up-front with people they will take more of a liking to you and give you their business and referrals!!!!! :D Just my opinion !!!

I don't do "free cooking shows". For a few close friends I've covered groceries when they had a really good show or because I knew they were hurting financially. It was a friend to friend gift not a business thing...and they knew it was a gift and it was coming out of my pocket.Don't worry about posting...you'll get people on both sides of the issue, but it is good to think of what you will do and why.Run your business honestly and God will bless. May not be immediate and may not be always, but He will.I just had a blow today. A past host from last June that I've been calling and passing religiously but keep getting answering machines or no time for her to talk when I physically see her (chasing 4-5 kids!!!) just had a show with another consultant May 3rd. This other consultant claims to be a Christian but has given my customers extra $15 free product for having catalog shows with her instead and other stuff that I won't do. Each situation is a blow, but I'm standing firm with how I want to run my business. She may get a short financial gain (other consultant) but in the long run, I know I am honoring God.This lady did say she'll have a show in the fall with me so she's still on my list and still will be called! :)

I don't plan on doing free shows in the future. As a thank you to my Charter Hosts, I did buy the recipe ingredients for them. For me it was #1, a Thank you, and #2, a chance to ensure that I had all the ingedients and that they were prepped as much as I wanted them to be before the show.

Honestly, I am a little nervous having to rely on the host to do the shopping. Is this my controlling self coming out... I know some of you buy the ingredients and then have the host reimburse you. How does that work? I would feel odd asking for the money...

I offer a free show but let the host know up front what that actually means. I provide the ingredients & tableware. I thought that is what everyone else does but I could be wrong. I don't see anything wrong with offering that as an incentive as long as everything is known up front. I agree with what is being said above. It would be deceitful to tell someone they "won" a "free" cooking show when in reality they are all free.

AmaraJ said:
IHonestly, I am a little nervous having to rely on the host to do the shopping. Is this my controlling self coming out... I know some of you buy the ingredients and then have the host reimburse you. How does that work? I would feel odd asking for the money...

I would feel odd asking for money too. That's why I don't do it. I trust the host to buy the ingredients, and I will call the night before to make sure she found everything ok, and I always arrive 1 hr prior to the show to chat with the host and do any prep work. I call on the way and I confirm directions with the host and also go through the ingredients list to be sure she didn't forget anything that I would pick up on my way.

If my hosts have 8+ people attending the show, dessert is on me! I bring a microwave miracle cake - usually the snickers one. That is my thank-you to the host along with a Season's Best that I pass around and have everyone sign for her.

Sometimes if there is an ingredient that is super-expensive or odd, I will bring it myself (like fresh parmesan... I keep it in my fridge all the time, but others dont, so for them to have to buy a whole block of fresh parm is very pricey... i just bring my own. I also grow herbs in my back yard, basil, cilantro, etc. so if a recipe calls for that I always tell the host I will bring that, not to worry about buying it at the store.)

I buy the ingredients... yes, it's a way to pamper my host but it also gives ME control over what type, quality and such gets used. Sure, it helps them but it also ensures that my show won't catch a hitch with limp veggies that won't work well with the UM or gummy cheese that refuses to grate no matter what tricks are used and ingredients that end up making me look like a fool. Nope, I consider it a small investment to purchase the ingredients I KNOW will work with the recipe and taste fantastic. That being said, if they want more than one recipe, they need to chip in or offer extra food on their own... I'm not a caterer... but I usually have them supply, drinks, extra snacks (to their discretion) and paper products.

its funny that you used that commenet about the UM - I don't typically demo this at shows anymore because I don't like it! I'll set it up, display it, and let guests use a potato to play around with it but... I swear it drives me nuts! I liked the Ultimate-Chop-Your-Finger-Off much better, actually!

But.... that's what I LOVE about this business, everyone can make it their own and do what works for them :D I love PC!

This thread has made me think. Thanks.

Can you post the recipe for the snickers microwave cake?

Snickers Miracle Cake Recipe

Attachments

• Snickers Miracle Cake.doc
    27 KB · Views: 421
I think the perception of deceit lies in how the free show is presented...whether as a gimmick or as a genuine offer. Any responsible consultant should know to clearly state what the offer of a free show entails: normally our cooking show hosts pay for the recipe ingredients and PC gives them an extra $15 in free product for providing the ingredients; a free show is when the consultant pays for the ingredients and the host still receives the extra $15 in free products. Presented responsibly , and clearly, I don't think it's an unethical offer to have at a fair or during follow-up. (Making it sound like 'something for nothing' however, is deceitful.)

As for the topic of buying groceries for shows in general. I offer all my hosts the option me picking up the ingredients and she reimbursing me. The only one who has turned me down was a great host who lived practically next door to a grocer. I offer it as a service, and they are generally relieved to have one less 'to do' on their list (and I'm relieved to know the right ingredients will be there!)

legacypc46 said:
I think the perception of deceit lies in how the free show is presented...whether as a gimmick or as a genuine offer. Any responsible consultant should know to clearly state what the offer of a free show entails: normally our cooking show hosts pay for the recipe ingredients and PC gives them an extra $15 in free product for providing the ingredients; a free show is when the consultant pays for the ingredients and the host still receives the extra $15 in free products. Presented responsibly , and clearly, I don't think it's an unethical offer to have at a fair or during follow-up. (Making it sound like 'something for nothing' however, is deceitful.)

Exactly what I was trying:yuck: to say. You just worded it much better.

bsaxman said:
Snickers Miracle Cake Recipe

That sounds so yummy!!! Can't wait to try it out.

stacywhitlow said:
That sounds so yummy!!! Can't wait to try it out.

i make it at home all the time i use it as an easy last-minute dessert when my husband invites people over and... "forgets" to tell me! It seems to really impress people that its so yummy and done in the microwave! :love:

I have toyed w/ the idea of offering a free cooking show, but I came up with an idea that I wanted to run past you guys...what would you think of offering as a "prize" per say...a gift card to a local grocery store that goes toward the cost of the ingredients? Instead of buying all the ingredients yourself? I know of a Tastefully Simple consultant who does this, she gives them a $10 gift card and states it is to go toward the ingredients and it has gone over pretty well, I actually thought it was a decent idea...But of course, you have to host a party to get the grocery store card...

I really like that idea. It's basically the same thing as a "Free" show but seems more like a prize or gift. Good thinking!! (or borrowing ;-))

chefsteph07 said:
I have toyed w/ the idea of offering a free cooking show, but I came up with an idea that I wanted to run past you guys...what would you think of offering as a "prize" per say...a gift card to a local grocery store that goes toward the cost of the ingredients? Instead of buying all yourself? I know of a Tastefully Simple consultant who does this, she gives them a $10 gift card and states it is to go toward the ingredients and it has gone over pretty well, I actually thought it was a decent idea...But of course, you have to host a party to get the grocery store card...
You know - that is a great idea! I am having a Power Cooking Clinic here next week, and I have a gift basket for booking a show w/ things like kitchen shears, serving spatulas, slice n serves (all from the outlet) - but it might be good to throw in a couple gift cards too.
I've also read on here of some people that put a GC for a free cooking show in their basket of things for people to choose from when they bring a guest or win the door prize drawing. I think when you do it like that - it's not deceptive - you are being up front about it. Like Leggy said - it's all in how it's presented. I think when you call everyone who filled out a drawing slip at a fair, and tell them they've "won" a free cooking show - that is deceptive. And I think - what if a whole group of women who came together all fill out info slips, and all get the same "congratulations, you've won a free show" phone call? That to me is not cool ~ and if I did that with friends and found out, I'd be turned off by what I considered just a gimmick, not a true win.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions!

I still think that using the phrase "free cooking show" on any gift or prize implies that it is usually NOT free, and is different from what you normally provide. So again, if you are saying that you will provide the ingredients without reimbursement (assuming you don't normally do so) then that seems fine to me.

I understand that since we do not charge for doing shows (except those of you who typically charge for providing ingredients), technically they are free, but to me, using that as a line for a "gift" or "prize", even in a basket of other goodies, is mis-leading, compared to just having it in literature. For example, I have no problem with something like "I provide fun, at-home cooking shows for free". To me in the context of a prize/gift, even if picked by someone, it still implies a benefit in addition to those you usually provide.

But I absolutely agree with Becky about having a drawing where you call everyone and they all "win" a free show. Again, in my opinion, that is down right dis-honest, and really, people aren't stupid, they will realise that a "free" show for them is really a "win" for you as the consultant, unless you kick-in free ingredients or another gift/prize.

Since I just moved to the area- I am offering "free" shows for those who book within the next 2 months, as a way of getting my business started here.

I agree with the folks who are saying that calling people who filled out door prize slips at a festival to tell them they "won" a free cooking show is deceptive, especially when you are calling everyone who filled out a slip.

But I see nothing wrong with calling those leads, pointing out that you are offering free cooking shows to the people who visited you at the fair, and asking if they are interested in one. To me, even if you always offer to bring the ingredients to your show, it is less deceptive to tell them this than that they won something. (You never said you don't do this for EVERY fair and show you do - you just told them you are doing it for attendees of that particular fair!)

And I am one of the people who offers to pick up ingredients for shows, and I get reimbursed for them. I just say, "Would you like me to pick up the ingredients for you on the way to your show, and you can just reimburse me for them when you place your order?" Then, when the host is checking out, I just hand her the receipt for the ingredients, and tell her what they cost.

Now, if I could just get them to remember to pay me for postage when they emailed me their guest list... :rolleyes: :blushing:

legacypc46 said:

As for the topic of buying groceries for shows in general. I offer all my hosts the option me picking up the ingredients and she reimbursing me. The only one who has turned me down was a great host who lived practically next door to a grocer. I offer it as a service, and they are generally relieved to have one less 'to do' on their list (and I'm relieved to know the right ingredients will be there!)

I haven't read the other post she was referring too, but I think Annabee needs all the information before judging. I agree some may do it differently than I do. I do offer free cooking shows. I buy the ingredients, utensils, pay for postage, the host gets that $15 that was supposed to cover the ingredients. He/She is getting an extra $15 PLUS ingredients, etc.

When I have a drawing at my booth, I have two drawings: one "get a free cooking show" and "win this basket" (which I have filled with PC products) and I only draw out ONE name that I call and let them know they won the basket. The rest of the names, I call and thank them for visiting my booth, let them know of the services I offer, and let them know that I'm offering to purchase the ingredients for their show when they book in (fill in the month).

When people are filling out the slip at the fair, I asked if they are entering to "get a free cooking show" if they say yes, I let them know they get a free cooking show when they book on my calendar today. Anyone that books then, still puts their name in for the basket of PC. If they say no they wanted the basket, then their name is still in the drawing for the basket.

I'm not being dishonest. It IS free for them. I'm paying for everything! If I was using "Win a free cooking show" and calling everyone and saying they won, that would be dishonest. I OFFER to get the ingredients (not the utensils) for the cooking show to those that didn't show interest at the booth.

It is all how you word things.

I am with Julie on this one...I have done what she describes many times and am actually labelling them as "no sweat" shows for the summer. It truly is what you have in your heart...are you trying to help your hosts or yourself? It is also important to be honest and up front with exactly how your "free" show works. The other thread that talks about another DS company brings up the fact that the consultant was not being honest...that is the bottom line!

lockhartkitchen said:
I haven't read the other post she was referring too, but I think Annabee needs all the information before judging. I agree some may do it differently than I do. I do offer free cooking shows. I buy the ingredients, utensils, pay for postage, the host gets that $15 that was supposed to cover the ingredients. He/She is getting an extra $15 PLUS ingredients, etc.

When I have a drawing at my booth, I have two drawings: one "get a free cooking show" and "win this basket" (which I have filled with PC products) and I only draw out ONE name that I call and let them know they won the basket. The rest of the names, I call and thank them for visiting my booth, let them know of the services I offer, and let them know that I'm offering to purchase the ingredients for their show when they book in (fill in the month).

When people are filling out the slip at the fair, I asked if they are entering to "get a free cooking show" if they say yes, I let them know they get a free cooking show when they book on my calendar today. Anyone that books then, still puts their name in for the basket of PC. If they say no they wanted the basket, then their name is still in the drawing for the basket.

I'm not being dishonest. It IS free for them. I'm paying for everything! If I was using "Win a free cooking show" and calling everyone and saying they won, that would be dishonest. I OFFER to get the ingredients (not the utensils) for the cooking show to those that didn't show interest at the booth.

Yeah - maybe you should have read the other post first....because what you are talking about is not what she is referring to.

Thanks for posting Julie. I think your post added a lot to this discussion. When I first heard of the 'free cooking show', I thought it sounded a little slimy. Then I heard someone else present it in a way that cleary identified what she was offering. My new favorite name for it though is Meg's. I love the 'no sweat' show for summer!

I think most cooking show hosts don't realize they receive an extra $15 in free products because of the groceries. (I always make sure they do...I'd hate for them to feel the party 'cost' them.) I'm not sure all consultants understand that too.

I never offer a free show during a show. I do offer to bring the food for a few choice past hostess who have great shows or are good friends and I want them to book a few times a year.

Julie (and others), I'm sorry if I offended you. I think you may have misunderstood what I meant, and again I'm sorry if what I wrote wasn't clear, I was trying to pick my words very carefully. I have re-read my posts, and I don't think I said what you think I said!

I have NO problem at all with what you do - providing ingredients (and more) for a host (which I think is a generous thing to do) and then calling it a "free show", assuming that you explain, like you said that you do, that this is an added benefit.

I just don't like the idea of calling a show where the host provides the ingredients "free". As I said in my second post (#20), yes, all of our shows are technically free, and I have no problem with saying "I provide cooking shows at no cost/for free". But, personally I feel that the use of the word "free" for a prize or gift implies an added benefit to that which is normally there. If you an enter a competition or drawing, you assume that the prize is something you wouldn't normally be able to get for free.

I am really just trying to get people to see it from the customers point of view. Are they going to feel that they are getting something extra when you use the word "free" for what is really a normal show (where they provide the ingredients), or are they going to feel mislead, because anyone who wants a show can get just what they got as a "prize" or "gift".

I particularly dislike the practice of telling everyone that filled out a slip for a drawing that 1) they are a winner, and 2) they have won a "free" show, when shows are always free. But, to say it again, if your prize of a "free show" includes you providing the ingredients, I personally think that is fine.

And again, these are just my opinions. I really only brought it up because I think it has been mentioned so much as a "standard practice" that maybe people haven't thought about it as an ethical issue, and as to how the host will feel, and in addition, what kind of a reputation the consultant will get from doing this.

I hope this is a bit clearer now! And again, I'm sorry if I came across as judgmental, that is not what I intended. I have actually just been going through my on-line agreement, and at the "term and conditions" there is a part about representing the company with integrity and responsibility. Hopefully all of us are trying to do this!

Again, with appreciation for all of you and your help and insight,

Annabel

Maybe I'm confused, but you're talking about people offering free shows and then making the hosts pay for ingredients??? I have never heard of someone doing that! Am I missing a thread here??

I have only heard of people offering free shows in the "free ingredients" sense that has been mentioned on here a few times. I offer free shows as a door prize at all my shows - the guest who wins gets a free show coupon as well as a prize from the basket. But it is presented in the way of "normally X is what happens, but now Y is what will happen"

I'm confused.

I feel like I am missing something as well - I just assumed that when people were offering a free show that they were paying for the ingredients instead of the hostess. hmmmm- I guess I shouldn't have assumed OR maybe others misunderstood what people are doing with their free shows.

Like ChefMeg said - to clear up the confusion - maybe people could just offer a 'no sweat' party, or 'supper in a bag', or even 'dessert in a bag' - then maybe it wouldn't be so confusing to customers and other consultants.

I entered a draw for a free makeover by MK and later found out - that everyone one! - two of my friends AND myself one - I have since decided to not use that particular consultant because when she phoned to tell me that I was the winner of the draw - she made me feel like I was the only one. When I later found out that EVERYONE one - I am definately going to change my 'win a free cooking show' draw that I do at a Fair. I was always told that everyone wins a free show - but will not do that again - because of how it made me feel when it happened to me as a customer....

Annabel - thanks for your input as a customer :) I never thought of it before this thread was posted.

I always tell people I'm offering those who attended the fair a free show...OR I say you are "one of the winners of a free show" rather than "THE WINNER!!!!" because then it's clear that more than one free show will be offered to different people.

lockhartkitchen said:

I do this too. I even do reminder phone calls. I am very specific when explaining what the drawing is for. I tell them what it would "normally" cost(appr.) for them to provide all this and that I provide this for them and that they still get the $15. I don't think it is dishonest if you are upfront.

So while reading this and other posts, I called a few of my upcoming hosts who have "won a free cooking show". I asked them if they felt that I was dishonest in anyway when presenting them with their drawing slip. Not one of them said that they felt this way. Thanks for this post, I needed to do host coaching anyway.:p

1. What is considered a "free show" in direct sales?

A "free show" in direct sales is when a consultant offers to do a demonstration or presentation for a host and their guests, free of charge.

2. Is offering a "free show" a common practice in direct sales?

No, offering a "free show" is not a common practice in direct sales. Many consultants believe it is deceptive and unethical to use this tactic to attract bookings.

3. What are the potential consequences of using a "free show" as a prize for drawings?

Using a "free show" as a prize for drawings can damage the trust and loyalty of customers. It can also create a negative reputation for the consultant and the company. Moreover, it may lead to lost future business from both the host and their guests.

4. Are there alternative and ethical ways to offer prizes in direct sales?

Yes, there are many alternative and ethical ways to offer prizes in direct sales. Consultants can offer discounts, free products, or gift certificates as prizes. They can also partner with other businesses or vendors to offer unique prizes to their customers.

5. How can consultants ensure ethical business practices in direct sales?

Consultants can ensure ethical business practices in direct sales by being transparent and honest in their dealings with customers. They should avoid using deceptive tactics and focus on the quality of their products and services. Additionally, consultants should stay updated on company policies and guidelines to maintain ethical standards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kristianne
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • dannyzmom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
smspamperedchef
  • RMDave