• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Joining the Chamber of Commerce Worth the Investment?

In summary, the consultant said that the chamber of commerce is not worth it because you are not really getting your name out there. She also said that going to the breakfasts and xmas gala ball is worth while only cost a few more bucks by not being a member and was open to anyone. She decided that she would do that. The consultant also said that wearing your logo stuff works and taking catalogs out, just chat up the business, what have you got to lose by mentioning it!
utopianaurora
So today, i called up a mary-kay consultant because i was thinking about joining my chamber of commerce and was wondering if paying the 200 something a year was worth it. I left a message and expected not to hear back from her. I did and we chatted for about 30-45 minutes about our businesses what we liked and such, and she chatted about the chamber and our directors and such. She has been a consultant for 17 yrs, with mary-kay. Did you guys know that to get to director you have to have 30 qualified consultants, and your minimum order is 250! Anyways, we both knew that we werent trying to recruit each other, but just chatted. Anyways she said:*that for the money chamber of commerce isnt worth it because you arent really getting your name out, who really reads all of the chamber stuff and looks through the names. She said that because there was so many people it was not worth it. However, going to the breakfasts and xmas gala ball was worth while only cost a few more bucks by not being a member and was open to anyone. So i decided that i would do that.*Alot of bridal shows cost 100-800 for a booth, and dont really bring in alot of business. A local place that has bridal shows called Weber's costs 500 for a table. Plus if you split it with people then you have to split whatever shows you get, what if you only get one, who would get it?*She agrees that wearing your logo stuff works, and taking catalogs out, just chat up the business, what have you got to lose by mentioning it!:D - i have been seeking out other help because my consulant has become no help to me, and now she is moving out of state. I am currently seeking a new cluster in michigan. I live in ypsilanti. She said alot of other helpful things and made me feel like i was on the right track, she says that she would like for her group of consultants, to do really well, but that she would rather them feel good about what they are doing. I mean this is YOUR business, YOU run it how you want. Why should your director be telling you that you are screwing up. IT IS YOUR BUSINESS. Just had to get that out, my director made me feel bad, because i missed out on the knives promo, because i didnt know that my first show in august counted towards the promo in sept. How was i supposed to know, i am new! I would have submitted my show by the 30th not the 5th. But my show host, had more orders coming in. Like i said, MY business, My way.:D -Keep up the good work!
-Amber

If the consultant doesn't know something, its the trainer's fault. I have kicked myself a few times because I thought my new consultant knew something and didn't because she was so new. I am glad that the MK lady was helpful. I try to attend all kinds of demos from other companies just to get ideas. I see things I like, things I don't, and I get the see and hear the reaction of the attendees.

It is your business, and NO ONE has the right to make you feel bad.

Thanks Anne, you are always so helpful on this forum. I am trying to make myself more known, i wanna be a regular here too!:D And i totally agree, with you, about so far everything i have read that you have said:D

utopianaurora said:
Thanks Anne, you are always so helpful on this forum. I am trying to make myself more known, i wanna be a regular here too!:D
Glad I could help. Some people just don't realize how mean they sound. I had one director tell me.. "Yeah, I used to be all over those boards and then quit and started to recruit." I said, "Was that a dig?" Then she realized what she said and felt bad because she really didn't mean it that way.
utopianaurora said:
And i totally agree, with you, about so far everything i have read that you have said:D
That'll just get you into more trouble!:p

No kidding.ANNE WILL GET YOU IN TROUBLE! AND SHE WILL HAPPILY SAY SO! BUT SHE ALSO HAS GREAT IDEAS! That said, I too have friends in "other" places and have attended shows they do and have picked up many ideas. Some I use, some I don't. I did find that some were things we in direct sales ALL use. Just slightly different forms.
And who the heck is your recruiter? I would love to give them a piece of my mind. (Not that there is a lot to spare but...). NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT, THE POWER OR THE BUSINESS OF TELLING YOU HOW TO RUN "YOUR" BUSINESS. They only get the power to make you feel bad if you give it to them. SO DON'T!
I personally feel that a director or recruiter who is that way is not doing well in their own business and is trying to make up for it by pushing someone else. It is not your problem to be selling thousands of dollars a month so they get a bigger pay check. Let them go out and do a few more shows a month! It is not your job to make them an executive director by recruiting 15 people evey month and keeping them. They need to do it!
What you do right, what you do wrong and whatever else is your determination. Not someone else's! Not to mention that making mistakes, or trying new things is how we learn what will and won't work for us individually. What works for your director/recruitor may not work for you.
Now here is the rough part. If he or she gets on you again about anything that is not right or that you need to do more of this or that or whatever, take a deep breath and simply say something like, "Is this MY business or yours? I have to do it the way I feel comfortable doing it. If I make a mistake, I am the only person I have to answer to. If that is not the truth then show me where in the book it says that." Nough said?

Last edited:
Thank you all, you have all been a tremendous help.
:D

pampered1224 said:
NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT, THE POWER OR THE BUSINESS OF TELLING YOU HOW TO RUN "YOUR" BUSINESS. They only get the power to make you feel bad if you give it to them. SO DON'T!
Can I get an "AMEN"?!

Well put! (Even the part about me getting someone in trouble)

Hey, I went to a Premiere Jewelry party today at my director's. I got there about 10 minutes late and I missed the "presentation". I had to ask for a catalog. So, the cons. handed me one and that was it. I asked for an order form and she told me she was out and gave me a scrap piece of paper. Then, I see people come in about 20 minutes after me get these folders with flyers and everything else in them. So, I used her scrap paper, she totaled it, and then I saw a flyer. When I asked her about it she says, "Oh, you didn't get one? Its the blah blah blah flyer." I said, "No I only got a catalog. That stinks, I would have bought more. Well, my husband will be happy." I felt so insignificant. When I talk to the host I am going to tell her. She didn't explain payment or anything to me. I know I was late (dropping off a host packet!) but 10 minutes and I miss EVERYTHING? Good grief. She never introduced herself to me and she walked around in these nasty flip flops.

AJPratt said:
Can I get an "AMEN"?!

Well put! (Even the part about me getting someone in trouble)

Hey, I went to a Premiere Jewelry party today at my director's. I got there about 10 minutes late and I missed the "presentation". I had to ask for a catalog. So, the cons. handed me one and that was it. I asked for an order form and she told me she was out and gave me a scrap piece of paper. Then, I see people come in about 20 minutes after me get these folders with flyers and everything else in them. So, I used her scrap paper, she totaled it, and then I saw a flyer. When I asked her about it she says, "Oh, you didn't get one? Its the blah blah blah flyer." I said, "No I only got a catalog. That stinks, I would have bought more. Well, my husband will be happy." I felt so insignificant. When I talk to the host I am going to tell her. She didn't explain payment or anything to me. I know I was late (dropping off a host packet!) but 10 minutes and I miss EVERYTHING? Good grief. She never introduced herself to me and she walked around in these nasty flip flops.

Anne, you are hilarious! I wonder if your director just booked from her to show you what NOT to do! :rolleyes:

I love to watch other people's demontrations, for PC and all other Direct Sales companies. While I dont want to sell their product, you can learn something from all of them.
If you google direct sales, you can get some good ideas on presentation, recruiting and booking... it works for everyone. It's our business.
And y'all mentioned that it's your business, your way... for instance, working an hour every day, doesn't work for me. So, I take one whole day and work for about 5 or 6. Then I make calls as I need to, if someone wasn't reachable. I love the idea of the power hour, and I KNOW that works great from some people, but for me, I just can't make that work. So, I do a power 5 hour or so! My business, my way. Your business, your way! ;)
Good luck everyone!
Jaye

I, too, love going to other parties. For one, I love seeing what they do and don't do. For another, I think that if I want people to come to my parties, I should go to theirs. I guess I feel a little karma at play...but I do love to support other businesses just as I like mine supported. I have about run out of things to buy from Southern Living, though, without hosting a party...and Bryan NEVER lets me host parties. He says one a year and if I can only have one, it's going to be PC! ANYHOO...boy am I long winded today...

1. What is "Some Advice for You All...."?

"Some Advice for You All...." is a blog where our team at Pampered Chef shares tips, tricks, and recipes for cooking and entertaining with our products.

2. How often is the blog updated?

We update the blog once a week, typically on Wednesdays.

3. Can I submit my own ideas or recipes to be featured on the blog?

Yes, we welcome submissions from our customers and consultants! Please send your ideas or recipes to [email address] and we will review them for possible inclusion on the blog.

4. Are there any specific topics or products that are frequently featured on the blog?

We cover a wide range of topics and products on the blog, but some of our most popular posts revolve around quick and easy meals, holiday entertaining, and using our popular kitchen gadgets.

5. Can I share blog posts on social media or with friends and family?

Yes, we encourage you to share our blog posts with anyone who may find them helpful or interesting. You can also follow us on social media to stay updated on new posts and interact with our team and community.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcwarr
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Kathytnt
  • pchefinski
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
CarlyK
  • Saturday Gourmet