• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Bleach Water the Secret to Cleaning Produce and Meat?

In summary, the guy in the video suggests that you should wash strawberries in soapy water to avoid getting bugs on them. He also suggests using a vegetable/fruit wash, Grape Seed Extract, or Lemon juice to clean them. He says that ignorance is bliss and that some people in other countries still wash their produce in soap and water.
RMDave
Gold Member
Who knew?

http://www.star-k.org/cons-appr-vegetables-videos10.htm

ewwwwww!:yuck:

I will NEVER again eat a fresh strawberry without cleaning it! yucko!

Wash strawberries in soapy water? Really??

pkd09 said:
Wash strawberries in soapy water? Really??

I use a vegetable/fruit wash.

I knew this about strawberries...but I'm sort of anal about washing fruits and veggies anyway. The Salad/Berry Spinner is my friend.

Who is this guy that made that video? Personally I would not use soap on my produce. Wash it, of course. Those fruit washes are supposed to be good but running water and a soft brush -and our spinner- will get it clean. I've never *seen* a bug on my strawberries and I do LOOK at my food while eating it because I always wonder if I really got everything in the washing.

All plants have bugs crawling on them at one point or another that's how nature works. Personally, even though I HATE bugs I would rather know they might be there and do that extra cleaning and watching then have my food grown in a sterile environment. I'd be more afraid of what THAT would do to our food source.

I'd love it if PC had a soft veggie brush! :)

You know, sometimes ignorance really IS bliss!

Years ago I left a flat of strawberries out on the kitchen table overnight and woke up to creepy crawlies. That is what they looked like, but I thought they were worms. Whats worse, I didn't notice them until I was half way through the freezing process! So gross!! I agree with Sarah. I wish that either I had seen them right away or not at all!! My aunt is a missionary in India, and she has washed all of her produce with soap and water for years because of the critters there.

pampchefsarah said:
You know, sometimes ignorance really IS bliss!

AMEN!

My mom told me that with apples, the flies lay their eggs on the blossoms- so the worm is INSIDE the apple and you'd never know it! She says "I'll never eat an apple in the dark, or I cut it up first!" *lol*

I wonder if it's similar with other fruits/veggies? *shutter* :eek: I ALWAYS wash them- hadn't thought about with soap, but typically, if I don't have a Fruit Wash around, now I just use a few drops of GrapeSeed Extract, or LEMON JUICE in water. I don't have the link at the moment, but I had found those are substitutes for the store-bought Fruit/Veggie Wash, and basically what is in them. I think maybe something about Baking Soda in there too, but typically I just go for the lemon juice. In a pinch it works, and yes- I love the Berry Spinner!!

Eeewww, gross. I'm not so sure about the soap, though. I don't think it would wash off that well. Years ago, my mom used to soak fresh berries (blueberries, to be exact) in a salt water solution. She said it made the bugs rise to the surface of the water.

When we lived in Egypt when I was a child, we washed all our producy AND MEAT in bleach water!!! You gotta do what you gotta do!

Related to Is Bleach Water the Secret to Cleaning Produce and Meat?

1. How do I remove dirt and debris from strawberries?

To remove dirt and debris from strawberries, start by gently rinsing them under cold water. Then, use a soft-bristled brush to lightly scrub the strawberries, being careful not to damage the delicate skin. Rinse again under cold water to remove any remaining dirt.

2. Is it necessary to remove the stems from strawberries before cleaning?

It is not necessary to remove the stems from strawberries before cleaning. However, if the stems are particularly long or green, you may choose to trim them for aesthetic purposes.

3. How should I store cleaned strawberries?

After cleaning strawberries, they should be stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. It is important to store them in a single layer in a container or on a paper towel to prevent them from becoming squished or molding.

4. Can I use soap or detergent to clean strawberries?

No, it is not recommended to use soap or detergent to clean strawberries. These products can leave a residue on the strawberries and may be harmful if ingested. Stick to rinsing with water and gently scrubbing with a brush.

5. Should I wash strawberries right before using them or can I wash them ahead of time?

It is generally recommended to wash strawberries right before using them. However, if you need to wash them ahead of time, make sure to dry them thoroughly and store them properly in the refrigerator to prevent them from getting soggy or molding.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ParishKitchen
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mandy412