• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Improve Your Show: Tips for Making Your Audience Laugh and Learn

In summary, Melissa feels like she brings nothing to the table and that the shows lately have been some of the worst she's ever done. However, she does have fun and wants her guests to have fun too. She recommends games and making sure the guests laugh. She also advises attendees to focus on one thing they want the show to offer and practice it until it's natural. Lastly, she recommends spending most of the show doing what she does best: Melissa, and her products.
PCMelissa
Gold Member
I swear, I just think my shows are BORING. I sometimes feel like I bring NOTHING to the table. Tonight's show just happen to be one of the worst so far. However, there were only 5 guests and the show is almost $400, but I swear it is not cause of ME.

I want people to leave feeling like they had fun cause I put on a good show. I want them to leave feeling like they learned something.... I am pretty sure they do not. :( I mean, I know they have fun cause they are getting together with their friends and stuff.... any ideas!?!?! Any suggestions or advice. PLEASE!

If you are having fun, they are having fun. Enjoy yourself, make jokes, laugh at yourself - this is a big one for me (I think it's because if I'm laughing at myself then the guests feel like it's ok to laugh at me - and believe me I do a lot of stuff that makes people laugh). You'll get it - don't worry.

Melissa, sounds like you're doing great. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I agree with the other post, if you're having fun, they'll have fun.
Are you playing games at your shows... I find my guests LOVE that. the Left/right game (it's in the files here) is always a favorite. I also toss tootsie rolls (my son calls them pampered chef candies) at my guests for asking questions/finding something in the catalog for me/participating, etc. Whoever has the most at the end of the show gets a prize.

Crystal Patton said:
If you are having fun, they are having fun. Enjoy yourself, make jokes, laugh at yourself - this is a big one for me (I think it's because if I'm laughing at myself then the guests feel like it's ok to laugh at me - and believe me I do a lot of stuff that makes people laugh). You'll get it - don't worry.

I agree. It's always a good idea to get the guests laughing. I find it cuts any tension that might be in the room and makes the guests relax and feel more comfortable.

Decide on ONE thing you want your show to offer and study/practise until it's natural. Then, add something new. Eventually, you'll get there.

One easy way I spice up my shows is to take Hersey Kisses and throw them to anyone who has a good thought/tip. People like to work for a "prize" and that makes it more fun.

I also have a different show everytime. I don't know if that's good, but I don't use a script. I simply feature several products and pass them around.

Cook tips are good too.

I'm like Bee, I change my show each time. I make notes before the show so I don't forget certain things but it changes each time. Sometimes there are games, but other time we'll just talk about the products, eat, and I'll do a drawing with the yellow customer care forms I use.

Here are some humor tips to add.

Attachments

• AddingHumorToYourShow.doc
    62 KB · Views: 581
Girlfriend- do you want to come to one of my shows to observe? Not that my shows are fantastic, but it's always good to get ideas from others who may have a completely different style. I've got one Thursday.

See - now I am different, because even after 6 years, I always use an outline. Having an outline actually makes me more free to have fun with the guests - because I can be more confident that I'm not going to forget any of the important stuff.

I'm told that my shows are a lot of fun. However, I'm not sure that the consultant being fun is a necessity. You sorta have to go with your personality. I'm more loud and boisterous(you're all shocked, I know!), so that comes out in my shows, but one of my recruits is quieter and she is doing an amazing job with sales and bookings. She is just being who she is. She works FT, and has 2 kids, and so she comes at her shows from that perspective - she loves teaching people how to make quick healthy meals for their families.

When I first started, I tried to be like my director - and that didn't work out so well, and then I tried to be a variety of people I listened to on workshop cd's, and that didn't work out so well either.

My director gave me some great advice to figure out who I was, and what I do best, and to spend most of my time doing that. So - for a long while, I stopped listening to workshop CD's or watching Kitchen Show Live dvd's - and I just worked on being me with my guests.

I love to teach - so that sort of became the format for my shows. I love to joke around, so I incorporated that too. I make fun of myself, and I tease guests. I ask a ton of questions. But that's me. One thing that I always do is to be ready to greet guests when they arrive. I shake everyone's hand and thank them for coming. I introduce myself, and ask their name. I write out their name tag. I always have them spell their name for me, and I joke around about never assuming their name is spelled a certain way. I comment about their necklace, or their haircut, or their shoes....something to start forming a connection from the beginning. This seems to loosen everyone up, and they are more willing to joke around with me, and help with the demo, etc....

Since I have stopped trying to be like other people and have focused on just having fun, and making the guests feel comfortable with me, I have enjoyed my shows so much more.

I don't know if any of that helps you Melissa - It's sorta rambling. (sorry for that!)

Awesome advice, Becky. Hope you don't mind that I just passed that along to my downline!

dianevill said:
Awesome advice, Becky. Hope you don't mind that I just passed that along to my downline!

LOL - I would have tried not to ramble if I'd known that. Glad it helped someone!

You weren't rambling - promise!

Melissa, are you getting bookings?

Becky - I think you pointed out the most important thing to do in sales - make a PERSONAL CONNECTION. You do that when you greet guests at your show, so they feel personally connected to you throughout the show and want you to do well. I think that is the key to any successful sales conversation - whether it's cooking tools or a car (I used to sell cars, so I know of what I speak!) ;). Then, you can just be yourself and know that you've personally connected with each guest, and they can be themselves around you. You set a comfort level with them that they probably don't have at other direct sales parties, and that is probably why you are successful. I am going to remember this - I always try to make a personal connection with everyone at my shows, but I sometimes do it too late (as the show is winding down) - what a great idea (DUH!) to do it at the BEGINNING of the show!! Thanks, Becky!

chefann said:
Girlfriend- do you want to come to one of my shows to observe? Not that my shows are fantastic, but it's always good to get ideas from others who may have a completely different style. I've got one Thursday.

YES!!! Except Thursday won't work. Can you please let me know when your next one is!! :) Thanks!!

Becky.... your response was VERY helpful. And I actually think I NEED an outline to use. I think that would help me. Going by the seat of my pants is what I think bothers me!!

JAE, I go through spurts!!! And I see a change based on my shows. Meaning I can feel when I have a show that just flowed and worked... and sure enough I get 3-4 bookings. Than at others, I totally feel like I missed the mark, and lo and behold no bookings, or only one!!!

It seems like when I have a full schedule, I do really well. And if I have a two week break or so, then I am off my game. Either way though, I do usually feel like I connect with the guests, but I still do not feel like they go away thinking, WOW that was a great show... I do think they think, aww, she was a nice or good consultant. But I want them to feel like they learned something. I think part of the problem too is that I seem to be having shows for people who are all familiar with the product already....so they kinda come there knowing what they want. I do often wow them with the salad choppers, but that is about it.

Thanks everyone for your response...

ChefBeckyD said:
See - now I am different, because even after 6 years, I always use an outline. Having an outline actually makes me more free to have fun with the guests - because I can be more confident that I'm not going to forget any of the important stuff.

Becky - Do you actually have your outline written down and in front of you at the show?

scottcooks said:
Here are some humor tips to add.

I just opened this Scott... these are great, thanks for sharing!

Krista Burson said:
Becky - Do you actually have your outline written down and in front of you at the show?

I'm a lttle more subtle than that. ;)

I usually have my stand-up folder (the flip chart thingy on supply order) sitting someplace close to me, with a picture of the 30 Minute Chicken, or other show theme towards the guests, and my outline facing me.

What's funny - one of the consultants on my team, when she was a host, noticed that I had the outline, and started teasing me about it. She's a teacher, and she thought it would be funny to trip me up, so she snuck out my outline. Now, I have several outlines in that sleeve, one for each type of show I do, and she just slipped out the top one. Then she kept laughing at me during the show when I would glance at my outline and get confused.

She told everyone else what she'd done, and they were all in on the fun too.:rolleyes: (It was a bunch of teachers - usually the rowdiest type of group I have!)

That is a very good idea. I get so flustered sometimes because I've lost my train of thought, I think I will start doing this.

Becky do you have a copy of your outline or can you post the basics of it. I like the idea of having an outline too but I'm more visual and need an example to work off of to make my own! TIA

kcmckay said:
Becky do you have a copy of your outline or can you post the basics of it. I like the idea of having an outline too but I'm more visual and need an example to work off of to make my own! TIA

Sure Katie - but they are more like "memory joggers" to keep me on track, and make sure I'm doing the important basics. It's easy for me to get way off track chatting, so these keep me focused. I'll post my three favorites:

30 Minute Chicken & Biscuit Bites
DCB Fajitas & Salad Chopper Salsa
Bountiful Brunch Pizza & Sweet Biscuit Bites - interactive

Attachments

• Chicken & Biscuit Demo.doc
    10.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Outline - Fajitas.doc
    10.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Outline - Brunch Pizza Interactive.doc
    10.5 KB · Views: 427
OK. I've gotta ask....(I may regret this....)

What's a 'chicken story'?

Ann F said:
OK. I've gotta ask....(I may regret this....)

What's a 'chicken story'?

Well, once there was this chicken.....

LOL, no really, I tell my story of my first experience with the 30 minute chicken. This is it:

Tonight, I am going to show you all how to make the most incredible roast chicken dinner in just 30 minutes. The way that we accomplish this is by roasting the chicken in the microwave. I know, I know - the expression on my face was a lot like yours when I first heard about the recipe. I'm a bit of a food snob, and when PC first came out with this recipe, I thought it was the most disgusting thing I had ever heard of. No way would I feed my family a chicken cooked in the microwave, and certainly there was no way I would demo this recipe at a show! I held out with not making this for quite a while - but other consultants and friends kept telling me how incredible it was....secretly I thought that they must just be used to fast food, and so they didn't know what a good roast chicken tasted like, but they kept right on telling me how wonderful it was. Well, one day I was at Meijer's, and I found a whole chicken that was just about at it's "sell-by" date. It was marked down to .49 a lb, so in my mind I reasoned that it was only going to set me back $2 to ruin this chicken, so I thought I'd try it. (just so I'd be able to say that I had!) I then went down to the frozen food section, and bought a frozen pizza as a back-up for dinner when the chicken bombed. (or exploded...)
So - I took the chicken home, seasoned it just like I'm doing tonight, and then popped it in the microwave. Then, I waited. I waited for the chicken to explode, or for my microwave to explode (I don't think it'd ever seen 30 minutes before!). The chicken, amazingly enough, was smelling really good - and when I would take a peek in the window, it was looking really good too. At the end of the 30 minutes, I hauled it out, and it looked absolutely, incredible delicious - and smelled even more so! I was still pretty sure that it would have rubber legs, and crunchy breasts, but the most wonderful thing happened! When I cut into it, it was the most juicy, falling off the bone tender chicken ever! I couldn't believe it! I was truly amazed! I served it to my husband for dinner, and he had NO CLUE that I had made it in the microwave. (and I didn't tell him until after he'd eaten half the chicken!) So now - I am a true believer in this Incredible 30 Minute Chicken, and if you can just hold on with me for the next 30 minutes, you will be too!

Becky,
I've got a ?? for you, why do you pass out biscuits with the Bountiful Brunch Interactive show...there's no biscuits in that recipe....Just curious...

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Becky,
I've got a ?? for you, why do you pass out biscuits with the Bountiful Brunch Interactive show...there's no biscuits in that recipe....Just curious...

The biscuits are a side dish that I've done - like the garlic biscuit bites, only with sweet sprinkles instead. It's to demo cookware, and I mostly have them made ahead of time.

Sorry - those outlines really have been mostly for personal use - like I said back then, they are memory joggers, so I'm sure they are vague for other people. :)

Ok, that makes sense, sorry....just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something...lol

Lisa

Related to Improve Your Show: Tips for Making Your Audience Laugh and Learn

What is the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!"?

The "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!" is a fun and interactive cooking demonstration hosted by Pampered Chef consultants. It showcases our products and teaches customers how to make delicious and easy recipes.

How do I attend the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!"?

To attend the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!", you can either host a show yourself or attend a show hosted by a friend or family member. Contact your local Pampered Chef consultant to schedule a show or find one near you.

Is there a cost to attend the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!"?

No, there is no cost to attend the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!" as it is a complimentary service provided by Pampered Chef consultants. However, there may be opportunities to purchase products during the show.

What can I expect at the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!"?

At the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!", you can expect to see live product demonstrations, learn new recipes, and have the opportunity to try out our products. You may also have the chance to win prizes and discounts on products.

Can I purchase products at the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!"?

Yes, you can purchase products at the "Blah, Blah, Boring Show!" if you wish. Our Pampered Chef consultants will have products available for purchase during the show, but there is no pressure to buy. You can also place an order through the consultant after the show if you prefer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
JennyJennJen
  • smilesarepriceless
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
yankeeinontario
Replies
Views
msmileyface