• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Now Curious - Have You Read...

In summary, Kristen found that the New Living Translation of the Bible is an easier to read version of the Bible, and has read through the Bible in full, including the Old Testament and King James Version.

Have you read the Bible? (See poll comment for versions)

• Total voters
janetupnorth
Gold Member
(This is an open poll, just so you know)...

By the topic on the other thread has got me wondering...how many have taken the time to read the ENTIRE Bible word for word all the way through (not necessarily in order, but the entire thing)?

...and Bible is referring to KJV, NIV, NKJV, or some similar version. Not the Koran, Book of Mormon, Watchtower Bible or other variant.

...my poll, so I'm curious about those closest to what I read.

I am going through something right now where I am trying to find out what I am.
I was brought up Roman Catholic but a lot of the stuff I don't truely believe in. A lot of it was man-made. So I am trying to find a bible that I can easily understand. I can't understand the dialect. I know all about the bible but can't honestly say that I have sat down and read it aside from referencing things.
I would like to do it though.

Never read it straight through from front to back......it's not that kind of book. I have read it straight through in chronological order.....but that is a bit different.

Kristen - check out either "The Message" or The New Living Translation of the Bible. Much easier to read then some of the older translations.....and the New Living Translation actually is translated from the original Hebrew & Greek texts - so it's actually more accurate than some intermediate translations.

I've read the entire New Testament in full... and then the Old Testament through Kings.

I read it completely in order, but not is one or two sitting. I am Catholic and encountered some rather forceful and self proclaimed "Bible Beaters" in college (this is a long story and deserves it own thread) so to better educate myself and be able to discuss/defend my beliefs I read the entire book over the course of a quarter and Christmas Break. I did not read the King James Version - the Catholic version is a bit different I'm sure.

I am honestly at about 90 some percent. I've done the "read through the Bible in a year" programs and think I may have missed some. I'm close to 100% but don't want to say that I've read EVERY word if I haven't. ;)

Back to read more answers later - I have a show soon!!!!

I tried reading it when I was younger from the beginning... gave up over all the beggettings and the living hundreds of years after the earth only took 7 days to create? Hrmm... I know, not supposed to be literal... something about time being different then. I'd say so... I'd have my suspicions over a time/space continuum flux if it fit (something tells me it wouldn't... that's more befitting Star Trek or Dr. Who)... as it is I'd chaulk it up to poor record keeping.. or a crappy memory or someone who couldn't read the other guys transcript so transcribed it incorrectly (oh, could you imagine writing that book out... by hand?)I have read The Revelations however... that's the only book within the bible that I've read straight through though it's been a while. Read that when I was a teenager... also as a child other stories from the bible were referenced in various church things I had attended either when sleeping over at a friend's house Saturday nights (only to find out I was going to church too... eh)... or Summer Bible School that my mom would sign me up for so I'd be out of her hair for a couple hours during the summer... I liked the story about Noah... I find it fascinating as an adult now to hear about the various stories in a more scientific or historical bent (that makes sense to me)... like comparing various creation myths from different cultures... comparing various messianic myths (some are so similar it's amazing)... and different cultures that had similar stories about floods and other various other happenings that are more likely to be historically bound not just faith bound... I've also read other bits and pieces. I'm also intrigued, to a point, by the Apocrophya... books that didn't make the cut, so to speak (usually for political reasons)... including The Book of Thomas, The Book of Enoch and others... haven't had the urge to read them though... just curious enough that when something like this comes on the History Channel I tend to watch them. I'm more of a spiritual or metaphysical person than I am religious. Most of what I learned about Christianity has been by example... not very good examples out there either (I speak of my mom's family, not anyone here.. I don't know folks well enough here yet). I have met enough Christians, thankfully, to know that not all are out to shun and toss verbal rocks... some truly walk the walk, not just talk the talk. I have great respect for anyone who can live their life true to who they really are. But now, I'm rambling...

I have never read the entire Bible because I skip the recordings of who was born to whom. I'm pretty sure I've read the entire New Testament many, many times. I've read most of the Old Testament, too. I did BSF for a half year, then two full years, then another half year. I also have done a few Beth Moore studies. Love her. Also, read Psalms and Proverbs quite often. I really love studying the Bible, but if I'm not actually in a Bible study, I tend to not read it. I like the NIV. I don't like reading the KJV. The Message is nice, except when you are just looking for one verse at a time.

I'm a seminary grad so I've read through the Bible many times. God reveals something new every time

missyciccolella said:
I read it completely in order, but not is one or two sitting. I am Catholic and encountered some rather forceful and self proclaimed "Bible Beaters" in college (this is a long story and deserves it own thread) so to better educate myself and be able to discuss/defend my beliefs I read the entire book over the course of a quarter and Christmas Break. I did not read the King James Version - the Catholic version is a bit different I'm sure.

Mine is a similar story, although I am not Catholic, I have encountered others in college, including my SIL, so have felt that reading the Bible would help to develop my own opinions/interpretations. I joined a young adult group that went through each book. This was my last year in college and continued on after college (meeting with the group that is). I come from a very liberal upbringing, so it has been an interesting journey forming my opinions about God and faith. :)

I'm actually involved in a study where we are reading through the bible in 2 years. We are meeting for an hour over lunch every week and it has been great! I've tried the bible in a year before but found I was just reading and not absorbing. Even with stretching the reading program out over two years we still have sooo much to discuss each week...it's hard to fit it all in over a lunch hour. I've read the entire New Testament but I know there are several parts of the Old Testament I have not yet read. Having the accountability of a discussion group is something that really helps me. God has given me new insights into passages I've previously read before. We are just finishing Genesis this week so we have just begun the journey. I look forward to seeing what God has to share each day in my reading!

I went to a Christian school for most of my schooling and I've read most of the Bible when I was growing-up. A few years ago I decided I wanted to read it from cover-to-cover. I was doing pretty good at keeping a good pace......then put it down. Thanks for starting this thread and reminding me that I need to get back to it. I've always had a KJV of the Bible and @ 10 years ago the church I was going to in Hawaii used the Life Application Study Bible - New Living Translation. I really like this Bible as it uses more of the language that we use today and is so much easier to read and understand, plus the bottom of each page has an explanation (and some background) of much of what the passages are talking about.

Question for you all: I've got a box full of Bibles that belonged to various grandparents of mine.....what do you do with these? Many of them are small ones that were probably freebees at church or something and most of them are very small, some are only the NT (I think these belonged to my grandfather and were small enough to put in his suit pocket). Some have sentimental value so those I will keep and pass on. I'm just clueless when it comes to what to do with all of these Bibles.

I worked with our youth group at church for many years before I had my second child 8 months ago. I was taught to read the gospel of John first because it is easier to understand and gives you more facts about Jesus. I do agree with a lot of the other cheffers who said the NLT is a easier read. It is more water downed (if it could be) takes out the flowery words. I am using a Paralla bible that has 4 translation in it side by side. I have also been in BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) like JAE. That is a down and dirty bible study. I learned so much in that study. It teaches you to think and dig deeper into scripture and then backs everything up with scripture.

I have read the Bible several times and studied many different books of the Bible but everytime the Lord reviels something new to me. It is a awesome book. AMEN!!

For Pampered Linda (sorry have not figured out how to do the quote thingy yet!) Question for you all: I've got a box full of Bibles that belonged to various grandparents of mine.....what do you do with these? Many of them are small ones that were probably freebees at church or something and most of them are very small, some are only the NT (I think these belonged to my grandfather and were small enough to put in his suit pocket). Some have sentimental value so those I will keep and pass on. I'm just clueless when it comes to what to do with all of these Bibles.[/QUOTE]

I have several bibles myself. . .ones that belong to beloved family members and ones that I have used myself. I had a bible that belong to my Great Great Grandfather who was a minster and school teacher and I passed it down to a family member that I new who would appreciate it and take care of it. I have one that I will pass down to my children. I actually felt the Lord lead me to give one of my favorite bibles (the one that had very important dates and names written beside scripture) to give it to a lady who was visiting my Sunday school class. I have given many away to people I knew needed them. You could ask your church if they may have use for them

Here in Williamsburg. . .next month sometime a copy of the New Testament will be put in every Newspaper on a Sunday. God Moves in awesome ways!!

lkprescott said:
I'm also intrigued, to a point, by the Apocrophya... books that didn't make the cut, so to speak (usually for political reasons)... including The Book of Thomas, The Book of Enoch and others... haven't had the urge to read them though... just curious enough that when something like this comes on the History Channel I tend to watch them. I'm more of a spiritual or metaphysical person than I am religious.

All the best stuff is in the books the church decided to toss out and ignore. You should give it a look. Some good mythos were thrown out in favor of, imo, a bunch of less interesting ones.

For those of you with used Bibles that you don't know what to do with... here is a suggestion:

My mom works for an organization that recycles Bibles & other Christian literature. Now, I'm not talking about shredding them & making them into new things. I'm talking they take Christian literature (Bibles, old Sunday School/VBS materials, etc) and send it overseas to countries that are eager to study & learn about God.

Here is a link to where she works. Love Packages: Home If you or your church decide to send something to them, I know they would be so happy. Include a note to let her know who you are. Even if you can't send something at this time, you/your church can get on their newsletter mailing list.

Crystal

Well I did not vote because none of the answers fit me.
I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school for 9 years. I am pretty farmilliar with all the basics. I have at times when the urge struck picked up my Bible and looked thru it and read some things I enjoyed.

At this time my family and I do not attend church or follow any religion. It's all way to cut and dry for my DH and I. We try to live our lives as good people and teach our children to do the same. I do alot of volunteer work, and am trying to teack my children and others ho important it is to give back to the comunity.

I have to say I am very curious about the books hat have been omited from the main Bible. Maybee these discussions will get me off my but to go read them....

etteluap70PC said:
I have to say I am very curious about the books hat have been omited from the main Bible. Maybee these discussions will get me off my but to go read them....

That topic alone will start a whole different thread and debate about history, etc.

I believe that my Bible is how God intended and does NOT omit anything or err.

There are other scrolls written around the time of the Bible that are not in the Bible but I don't believe they are the inspired word of God. Man has throughout history try to write his own version of the Bible over and over and over again...

However, my educational background is in engineering not Biblical studies and church history so I would have to study more and defer to Becky for more authority on this topic. ;)

the Apocrypha WERE originally considered part of the Bible and the church decided to delete them...I think that was caused to come about by Augustine, but I'm not certain of that. Some of them are still used by various different Christian sects today though. So, you can't say the bible contains no mistakes...either it was an error for them to be t here in the first place or an error for them to be removed. Either way. Not an infallible piece of literature. Inspired by God, yes, but written and controlled by Man. My Uncle was valedictorian of his graduating class at Duke University's divinity school and has written some interesting articles on this subject...I should try and dig some of them up.

caynreth said:
the Apocrypha WERE originally considered part of the Bible and the church decided to delete them...I think that was caused to come about by Augustine, but I'm not certain of that. Some of them are still used by various different Christian sects today though. So, you can't say the bible contains no mistakes...either it was an error for them to be t here in the first place or an error for them to be removed. Either way. Not an infallible piece of literature. Inspired by God, yes, but written and controlled by Man.

My Uncle was valedictorian of his graduating class at Duke University's divinity school and has written some interesting articles on this subject...I should try and dig some of them up.

Not from what I know - they weren't added until later and then rejected AFTER being added.

Here are some facts I do know:
1. Not one of the apocryphal books is written in the Hebrew language, which was alone used by the inspired historians and poets of the Old Testament. All Apocryphal books are in Greek, except one which is extant only in Latin.
2. None of the apocryphal writers laid claim to inspiration.
3. The apocryphal books were never acknowledged as sacred scriptures by the Jews, custodians of the Hebrew scriptures (the apocrypha was written prior to the New Testament). In fact, the Jewish people rejected and destroyed the apocrypha after the overthow of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

(We may have to start another thread on...what is the Bible?)

I don't argue Scripture. If someone has determined that the Word of God is anything but infallible, then there is really nothing I can say to convince them, and it's not my place to convince them. Speaking truth to the hearts of those who don't believe is the work of the Holy Spirit.
If someone has real questions about the Bible, and is looking for answers or direction, then I would love to answer those questions for you.Just a couple notes though - Because the Word of God is a supernatural work - although it is constant and never-changing - it can speak to people in different ways at different times of their lives....it speaks to the circumstances in our lives and gives us the guidance we need for specific needs we are facing. This is why reading it straight through from front to back, while it could be educational, is not the way it is intended to be read. It is actual a collection of 66 individual books wrapped into one. Those of you who don't believe that the Bible is the Word of God aren't going to believe this or agree with me - but at some point, anecdotal proof comes into the picture, and the millions of lives that have been changed by God's Word are hard to refute. I know - I am one of those lives.Janet is correct in what she says regarding Apochrypha. These books were not just "thrown out".....there was very rigorous testing that all books of the Bible went through to make sure they were "God-Breathed". In some circles, there is still some subtle debate about the inclusion of the book of Esther........and if anyone wants to pm me about that, I'd be happy to discuss it with you off-board.

I was torn on my answer! I don't think that I can say 100% because I'm sure I haven't read EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER! But I have studdied it A LOT and I sure know my way around the bible!:)
I love reading the bible! I must have 10 bibles in my house and many are different types, like I have NIV, Amplified, message, study biblle, king james....etc.... I love putting a lot of them around me on the table in a circle and read a verse and then see how it is wrote in other versions. So that I can understand The Word the best I can!;) :balloon: :angel:

obxchef said:
For Pampered Linda (sorry have not figured out how to do the quote thingy yet!) Question for you all: I've got a box full of Bibles that belonged to various grandparents of mine.....what do you do with these? Many of them are small ones that were probably freebees at church or something and most of them are very small, some are only the NT (I think these belonged to my grandfather and were small enough to put in his suit pocket). Some have sentimental value so those I will keep and pass on. I'm just clueless when it comes to what to do with all of these Bibles.

I have several bibles myself. . .ones that belong to beloved family members and ones that I have used myself. I had a bible that belong to my Great Great Grandfather who was a minster and school teacher and I passed it down to a family member that I new who would appreciate it and take care of it. I have one that I will pass down to my children. I actually felt the Lord lead me to give one of my favorite bibles (the one that had very important dates and names written beside scripture) to give it to a lady who was visiting my Sunday school class. I have given many away to people I knew needed them. You could ask your church if they may have use for them

Here in Williamsburg. . .next month sometime a copy of the New Testament will be put in every Newspaper on a Sunday. God Moves in awesome ways!![/QUOTE]

I would love to have the old ones if they belonged to a family member to see what they highlighted or underlined....any notes in the margins. Any extras with no sentimental value, I would donate to the shelter or my church etc.

I have read the entire Bible from front to back twice. I am working on my third time. I have also read the Book of Mormon completely and some of the Koran (these are not variants of the Bible, but entirely separate). I have also ready Science and Health and various other religious texts of various other groups. My husband is a minister and brings home all kinds of interesting material for study.

As for the Bible, I do recommend a second reading once you have done it once. It is amazing the things you pick up the second time that you miss in the first reading.

I have yet to read through the entire bible. So sad!!!!

I too have been active in Bible Study Fellowship. Started it 9 yrs ago but have missed some due to babies. Anyone doing Mathew this year? If so would there be interest in starting a new thread? Is that hijacking???

As for the bible inspired, complete, and accurate - Don't think I would want to worship and trust a God who couldn't keep His word pure. I like to joke and say, if He can make His way clear to an airheaded blonde like me then He must really be God!

I've read the Bible, the Koran, the teachings of Buddha, the book of Mormon, the Bhagavad Gita, parts of the Talmud but that is a huge and daunting work! and books on but not necessarily of several other faiths. I find the great diversity of beliefs on this little planet fascinating. How boring would it be if we all thought and believed the same thing?

caynreth said:
I've read the Bible, the Koran, the teachings of Buddha, the book of Mormon, the Bhagavad Gita, parts of the Talmud but that is a huge and daunting work! and books on but not necessarily of several other faiths. I find the great diversity of beliefs on this little planet fascinating. How boring would it be if we all thought and believed the same thing?

I acquired a copy of the Bhagavad Gita with my late ex-MIL's books too... I've not had the time to crack it open yet though. I have gained a LOT by reading Lau Tzu's Tao Te Ching though... and The Tao of Pooh really helps break it down into 'real' understanding and it's a cute read in and of itself.

jzramom said:
I too have been active in Bible Study Fellowship. Started it 9 yrs ago but have missed some due to babies. Anyone doing Mathew this year? If so would there be interest in starting a new thread? Is that hijacking???

I am. This is my first time with BSF (I should be getting ready for my class on Tuesday instead of being at CS :blushing: ).

It has been very interesting and a little frustrating. I'd love to have more time for discussion but I do understand that's not what the class is about. We share the answers to our questions and get a different take on things but there is no room for discussion.

Janet,

I just used this when I was posting the Gospel Wheel to quote the scriptures. I found it on the internet, good to know others use it too. I bookmarked it.

I started CBS about a month ago. Sat down one night along time again to read the bible, fell asleep. I am really happy I jointed CBS. It is really interesting.

Ok I didn't answer the poll question but I just wanted to say...that I haven't read it front to back...but I have recently decided that I am not as "Right" with God as I need to be...actually I don't have a Bible...I use my mom's when I decide that I want to look something up...but I am going tonight after work to buy one...I used to have one but it was King James and I want an NIV so that I understand it...anyway...I am planning on doing a lot more reading and a lot more soul searching here in the VERY NEAR FUTURE.

BibleI have read the bible several times but not from cover to cover. I skip around alot but I have read everything several times!

It is rich and full of treasure. What a great gift God has given us!

After ministering to someone last Saturday at an outreach our church is doing, I was able to speak to a young woman who told me that she didn't really believe the bible was true.

I asked her if she read it. She said no. I told her to read it, starting with John. She said that she doesn't understand why her being a good person and not hurting anyone, can't be enough for God.
I said we come to God on his terms not ours. There is no such thing as a good person:
Romans 3:10-18

as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good, not even one." "Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive." "The venom of asps is under their lips." "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness." "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known." "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

We have all broken God's commandments and therefore are guilty. We must ask for forgiveness to have our slate wiped clean. She agreed that she was not as innocent as she believed. She said she would read John, so please pray that the Lord would open her eyes and save her.

Debbie :D

DebbieSAChef said:
She said she would read John, so please pray that the Lord would open her eyes and save her.

And will pray for her and for you if she comes to you again to lead her to where God shows you.

Heidi-
Yahoo. Kudos on paying attention to God's calling. Tells us which bible you got and what you are learning.

I'll send you one
chefheidi2003 said:
Ok I didn't answer the poll question but I just wanted to say...that I haven't read it front to back...but I have recently decided that I am not as "Right" with God as I need to be...actually I don't have a Bible...I use my mom's when I decide that I want to look something up...but I am going tonight after work to buy one...I used to have one but it was King James and I want an NIV so that I understand it...anyway...I am planning on doing a lot more reading and a lot more soul searching here in the VERY NEAR FUTURE.

I would have sent you one. Please let me know if you still need one. I have plenty to give away for FREE. If you are seeking and wanting to read more, it's a great way to find out who God truly is and what he says to us!

janetupnorth said:
Not from what I know - they weren't added until later and then rejected AFTER being added.

Here are some facts I do know:
1. Not one of the apocryphal books is written in the Hebrew language, which was alone used by the inspired historians and poets of the Old Testament. All Apocryphal books are in Greek, except one which is extant only in Latin.
2. None of the apocryphal writers laid claim to inspiration.
3. The apocryphal books were never acknowledged as sacred scriptures by the Jews, custodians of the Hebrew scriptures (the apocrypha was written prior to the New Testament). In fact, the Jewish people rejected and destroyed the apocrypha after the overthow of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

(We may have to start another thread on...what is the Bible?)

Well said. I learned this in college (attended a Bible college) but it's been so long I couldn't put it all into a coherent form. I've read the Bible through front-to-back in college, it was a requirement for a class; I've read it in sections all the way through using a "read the Bible in a year" plan; and I've listened to the entire Bible on tape.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Well said. I learned this in college (attended a Bible college) but it's been so long I couldn't put it all into a coherent form. I've read the Bible through front-to-back in college, it was a requirement for a class; I've read it in sections all the way through using a "read the Bible in a year" plan; and I've listened to the entire Bible on tape.

Hey Lisa - where did you go to school?

I went to Columbia International University in Cola., S.C.......just wondered if by chance that is where you went?

I haven't read the entire Bible. That is one thing I struggle with. The "begats" get me all the time. But, I just recently learned from a radio program I was listening to that Rahab was Boaz's mother. For those who don't know, Rahab was not an Israelite. She had heard about God and what he was doing for his people...helping them win battles to get the "promised land". She hid the spies/God's people in her home and helped them escape. She asked them to spare her family when they took the city. They told her to tie a scarlet cord to her home and everyone inside would be spared when they took the city...just like God spared his people in Egypt when they placed the blood of a lamb on their doorposts. God is so wonderful. He took a nonbeliever, and transformed her life and Jesus came from her lineage. How AWESOME is that! And, in case you didn't know...Boaz became the wife of Ruth.

I haven't read the Bible from beginning to end, but I attend church every Sunday. The way the Church year rotates, we hear the entire Bible every so many years (can't remember exactly how many?)

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey Lisa - where did you go to school?

I went to Columbia International University in Cola., S.C.......just wondered if by chance that is where you went?

I went to Kentucky Christian College (now called Kentucky Christian University). It's a small school in a SMALL town in eastern Kentucky, near Ashland, KY. We had to drive to Huntington, WV to go to a mall :)

Related to I'm Now Curious - Have You Read...

1. What is the purpose of this poll?

The purpose of this poll is to gather information about the number of people who have read the entire Bible, specifically the KJV, NIV, NKJV, or similar versions.

2. Is this poll only for people who believe in the Bible?

No, this poll is open to anyone who has read the Bible, regardless of their beliefs or religion.

3. Can I participate in this poll even if I haven't read the entire Bible?

Yes, this poll is open to everyone, regardless of whether or not they have read the entire Bible.

4. Can I choose which version of the Bible I have read?

Yes, you can choose any version of the Bible that you have read, as long as it is similar to the KJV, NIV, or NKJV.

5. Will my response be kept confidential?

Yes, all responses to this poll will be kept confidential and will only be used for the purpose of gathering information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3 4
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy