• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'll Take Biz Where I Can Get It, but Is This Ethical?

and she always mentions the measure all cup for the dips, the stones for making the breads, and the SA pieces to serve the products on...then she says 'If you need a PC person, I happen to have business cards of my consultant that you can take home for you to call when you get your products!"...I LOVE that!And, I have gotten a few leads from her doing that!Go for it!Especially if she is the one footing the cost of the cookbooks! You might want to offer her some of our recipe cards at 30 for $1.I was thinking about having her reimburse me for the cookbooks and get them as a supply order. I hate for her to pay
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I have a friend who sells for a different DS company and is in love with our products, but not enough to be a consultant. I got this email from her today. Catch is that there may be another consultant there and I won't be there.

I forgot to ask you if there is a new $1 cookbook….If so, I need a couple of them please…. J

Also, I am doing a booth at Heritage and I was going to stamp some recipe cards – I was thinking that maybe I could put one of the dollar cookbooks in there with the recipe cards....If I do that – I will need to order a bunch of those $1 cookbooks AND I was wondering if you had a card or something you would like to type up and I could put it in the package with the cookbook and the recipe cards…Maybe you could get a little new business generated….(only if you are interested though…)

what's unethical about it? it's a painless way to get your name out there. GO FOR IT!!!

go for it. i would.

Go for it, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I don't see anything unethical about that!

Do it, esp if she is willing to get business FOR you!

I have a friend who sells Tastefully Simple and she always mentions the measure all cup for the dips, the stones for making the breads, and the SA pieces to serve the products on...then she says 'If you need a PC person, I happen to have business cards of my consultant that you can take home for you to call when you get your products!"...I LOVE that!

And, I have gotten a few leads from her doing that!

Go for it! Especially if she is the one footing the cost of the cookbooks! You might want to offer her some of our recipe cards at 30 for $1.

I was thinking about having her reimburse me for the cookbooks and get them as a supply order. I hate for her to pay for getting my name out. It just doesn't seem right even though she has offered. I realize I would be loosing out on commission, but she acts like she will need alot and I would have to put in a special request.

My concern would be for the other consultant. She paid for a booth at that event and I know I would be upset if another consultant's info was being given out at a booth I had reserved.

Hey if she is willing to do this, that is AWESOME for you!!!

My question is, why can't you be there, too?

I am with Beth on this. I suggest getting confirmation as to whether or not there will be another Pampered Chef Consultant there. If there will be, I think this would be stepping on toes. If not, go for it!

She is not going to be selling them to my understanding. She is just going to hand them out with her stamped recipe cards. I am not doing the booth for a few reasons; time, finances, distance, etc.

Is there going to be a PC consultant there?

BethCooks4U said:
My concern would be for the other consultant. She paid for a booth at that event and I know I would be upset if another consultant's info was being given out at a booth I had reserved.

While we are in the MINORITY here Beth, I have to say I COMPLETELY agree with you. If I was the paying consultant at the fair, I would be pissed off (for lack of a better phrase) that another PC consultant who was NOT present had someone else distributing his/her stuff.

If there is NOT a PC consultant at the event, then I guess it would be OK.

But I agree with Beth and if that happened to you do you think you'd be ok with it? :rolleyes:

If this woman buys the cookbooks at full price, what she does with them after that is something you really can't control.

I would tell her your concerns about the other consultant and see what she can find out. Being a DS person herself, I'm sure she appreciates the integrity of you asking.

If there's NOT another DS consultant there, then let her order the SB at a discount and put your card in there. Absolutely nothing wrong with someone offering to promote your business.

If there is another consultant, you're going to have a tough decision to make. It's hard for us to judge without the complete story of whether there's another PC person. Let us know what you decide.

Good luck!

chefsteph07 said:
Do it, esp if she is willing to get business FOR you!

I have a friend who sells Tastefully Simple and she always mentions the measure all cup for the dips, the stones for making the breads, and the SA pieces to serve the products on...then she says 'If you need a PC person, I happen to have business cards of my consultant that you can take home for you to call when you get your products!"...I LOVE that!

And, I have gotten a few leads from her doing that!

I have a former co-worker who is a Tastefully Simple person. I emailed her when I first signed up asking if maybe we could help each other out since we are in similar businesses and possibly even trade shows. She was pretty rude about it. She said "In this business people will ask you to do things like that but frankly it just isn't realistic. Good luck with your business." I need to find a new TS person.

Not to hijack your thread, but what DS company has recipe cards that would be willing to add your cookbooks?

just make sure you put your name and wed info on everything even the recipe card Awsome do it

linojackie said:
Not to hijack your thread, but what DS company has recipe cards that would be willing to add your cookbooks?

From the first post - it sounds to me like she is going to be making recipe cards to hand out...so I would guess some type of card/stamp company.

A couple years ago, I payed for a booth at an event, and right down the row from me was another PC consultant. He wasn't at a PC booth, he was at his wife's jewelry booth. But his business cards were sitting out for people to take, and he was wearing a PC shirt.

I was really crushed. Here, I had paid for a booth, hauled in all of my stuff and set up a table...and he was a few yards down advertising for free.

(what made it worse was that he was a director, and I felt like he should have known better.)

So, I guess, if I were the consultant who had paid for a booth, I would have a hard time with it.

I have no qualms about wearing PC gear to an event and making sure I have some mini-catalogs with me. I've often run into friends and customers at such events. However, parking yourself at a booth with your cards on the table when another consultant has paid for the privilege is another issue. That crosses the line for me.I'm with the others. Find out if there is a PC consultant participating. That would be my guide.

ChefBeckyD said:
A couple years ago, I payed for a booth at an event, and right down the row from me was another PC consultant. He wasn't at a PC booth, he was at his wife's jewelry booth. But his business cards were sitting out for people to take, and he was wearing a PC shirt.

I was really crushed. Here, I had paid for a booth, hauled in all of my stuff and set up a table...and he was a few yards down advertising for free.

(what made it worse was that he was a director, and I felt like he should have known better.)

So, I guess, if I were the consultant who had paid for a booth, I would have a hard time with it.

Exactly my point.

I think it's a great opportunity for you though if there isn't a PC person there. She can call the organizers and find out before the event/before she buys the cookbooks.

It would be cool if she would do a trade off with you - you give away something of hers at your shows and she do the same at hers. That would not be in conflict with anyone else like this kind of events.

Leslie,

So do you know if another PC consultant will be there? If so, I agree with Beth and the others.

I paid for a booth a couple years back and another cons. was there selling something else but had a small table there w/PC products and catalogs on it. I was so pissed!! What made it worse is that her booth was in a better location than mine so people saw her first and then came to my booth and said "why is there 2 PC consultants here?" Ugh, man that really digs up some hot emotions for me!:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

PampMomof3 said:
Leslie,

So do you know if another PC consultant will be there? If so, I agree with Beth and the others.

I paid for a booth a couple years back and another cons. was there selling something else but had a small table there w/PC products and catalogs on it. I was so pissed!! What made it worse is that her booth was in a better location than mine so people saw her first and then came to my booth and said "why is there 2 PC consultants here?" Ugh, man that really digs up some hot emotions for me!:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

You should have told the organizers (they usually are wandering about) that not only is she hurting your business she is violating PC's policy by doing that.
:yuck::grumpy:

BethCooks4U said:
You should have told the organizers (they usually are wandering about) that not only is she hurting your business she is violating PC's policy by doing that.
:yuck::grumpy:

I did and they had me write a letter to them about it and asked if I would return next year. I told them no not if they're going to allow that! The other consultant and the organizers knew I was ticked!

The very fact that you're questioning this is showing that you have a conscience, which is a very good thing!!

I have a booth at a local fair that I do each September. They do not allow more than one vendor per company, which is really great for me, although I've had other PC consultants "stop in", and sometimes I think it's to see if I came back that year! lol

Anyway, if there is another PC Consultant there, you really shouldn't be trying to "secretly" promote yourself like that. I agree with the others here...always follow the "golden rule"!! It will pay off in the long run, believe me!!

Best wishes,
Paula

PampMomof3 said:
I did and they had me write a letter to them about it and asked if I would return next year. I told them no not if they're going to allow that! The other consultant and the organizers knew I was ticked!

Sounds like the organizers didn't see a problem with her booth. In that case I would have asked for my booth fee back or at least part of it.

BethCooks4U said:
Sounds like the organizers didn't see a problem with her booth. In that case I would have asked for my booth fee back or at least part of it.

I didn't get anything from that darn fair either! Oh well, live and learn! Don't step on others toes, it will get back to you!

She has partipated for 5 years and has never seen a PC consultant, but I am leaning toward not doing it. I don't want to start a ruckus. There or here.

I would check with the rules for the event. Some events limit the number of resellers that the event will allow.
Usually they just allow for one reseller for any given product line, but I have seen for larger events where they allow more than one.
While you may not actually be "at the event" and registered I could see where it might cause some friction with someone who had paid to be there.

krzymomof4 said:
She has partipated for 5 years and has never seen a PC consultant, but I am leaning toward not doing it. I don't want to start a ruckus. There or here.

I think that if she checks with the organizer and finds there isn't a PC consultant this year you SHOULD do it! No one is criticizing YOU. We are talking about the subject that you titled this thread - what is ethical here.

Go for it if she says there isn't one.

Related to I'll Take Biz Where I Can Get It, but Is This Ethical?

1. Is this ethical to sell for multiple direct sales (DS) companies?

It is not uncommon for individuals to sell for multiple DS companies, as long as there is no conflict of interest or violation of non-compete agreements. It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of each DS company to ensure that there are no restrictions on selling for multiple companies.

2. Can my friend sell products for one DS company and still be in love with products from another?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have a personal preference for products from one DS company while still selling products for another. It is important to maintain professionalism and avoid any negative comments or comparisons between the two companies.

3. Is it necessary to be a consultant to purchase products from a DS company?

Generally, individuals do not have to be consultants to purchase products from a DS company. However, some companies may offer discounted prices or other benefits to consultants. It is important to check with each individual company for their policies on purchasing products.

4. Is there a new $1 cookbook available?

I am not able to answer this question as I am not familiar with the specific DS company mentioned. It would be best to check with the company directly or with your friend who sells for them.

5. Can I create a promotional package with a $1 cookbook and a recipe card?

Again, I am not familiar with the specific DS company mentioned, so I cannot provide a definite answer. However, it is important to follow any guidelines set by the DS company regarding promotional materials and to ensure that there are no conflicts of interest with other consultants or the company itself.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
PampChefJoy
  • pampered2007
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
lkhartmann
  • jnhr1986