• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale

In summary, Susie is planning to have a larger crowd at her show this weekend and has invited other vendors to sell their wares. She is also offering a "bring a friend, get a gift" deal.
chefmary
Gold Member
I hate to whine and I try to keep my posts upbeat, but I need to get this off my chest and perhaps just down on paper, so to speak, so I can wrap my mind around what has gone wrong with this fundraiser I have been looking forward to! I am feeling very frustrated and somewhat used.

I just got off the phone with the host, who booked this show at my open house last month. Her daughter also booked and her show was last weekend, at her mother's. No one showed up! I suck it up, because I know her mom is the better customer of the two and I am looking forward to the fundraiser, which we discuss while I prepare the demo recipe (yes, they wanted me to do the demo!!). The FR host is looking to make this a big fundraiser and invite her friends with spouses, since most of them cook and possibly open it up to a larger audience. We discuss demo ideas and I offer a raffle prize, to help encourage spending and thereby bring in greater donations for the organization.

I received an email from her yesterday, telling me that she has finally decided on the specific branch of her charity that she wants to work with and that she'll be sending out invitations, etc. and that she and her daughter have secured the Fire Hall to accomodate the larger crowd she is anticipating. Nothing else.

I spoke with her today, and learn that she has invited other vendors to the event to sell their wares. Once I got over my initial shock, I told her that I was surprised and disappointed, because this was not what we had spoken about. I know that she really doesn't know what she is doing and I pointed out that by inviting additional vendors she wouldn't necessarily get a greater return, since most people have a specific spending budget for these types of events. She then asked me if I would still be offering a "bring a friend, get a gift" for those in attendance. I said that I usually do that when we are talking about a PC only situation (I'm certainly not going to give a gift to someone who is coming to purchase candles or makeup only!!). She also asked if I was still offering the raffle prize and I said that I would, but I did say that I would offer an entry based a PC purchase. I'm sure she was disappointed with that, but again, I offered this before she decided to bring additional vendors into the picture.

She said that she was going to make PC the focus and pass my catalog only to friends at her workplace, but I don't know how she can do this and not make the other vendors upset. I don't know what she has told them and I certainly don't want to walk into a situation where the other vendors are going to be "hostile."

I told her that I would email her my thoughts and so I turn to you to see if anyone can help throw some inspiration my way!

To those of you who made it to the end, thanks for listening to my rambling! It does feel better to get it out!!

Mary I dont really know what to say but I hope it all works out in the end. I do agree with you about only offering the raffle prize from someone who purchases from you. Good Luck

I would also make the raffle a "spend this $$ amont on PC and be put into a raffle...

Mary, Kill her with kindness. It will pay you back 10 times. Do not email her your thoughts...they can haunt you!

My suggestion is:
Why don't you turn it around and focus more about the bookings than the sales. I don't see how it will be impossible to have any sort of demo that is on PC. Maybe introduce yourself talk about the huge savings host get but in lieu of products ________fundraiser is getting Cash! Then offer a "last minute" donation that any one that has a show with in 3 weeks the group will get $20! If with in 6 weeks they get $15 and within 6 Months they'll get $10 when the show is held. Be excited, talk up theme shows, HWC and mid season products. Let everyone know how thankful you are to Susie host for putting this all together. Didn't she do a wonderful job? Whoo hoo her and act like she is wonderful. It will come back to you. Keep it fun and profitable for both of you and it can pay off big time!

Talk up the cookware, the trifle bowl, Carafe and platter with handles you will get their interest for shows. Remind them that all sales to day will go to the_____ fundraiser and you take _________ for payment. Then if you still want to only let your guests in the drawing then say everyone that purchases an item or books a show can get in on your door prize drawing.

Good luck.

I truly can understand the frustration and am glad you came here before writing back to the FR host. I for one would be very upset if it was me. I think your raffle should only be based on customers buying X # $ from you.

I also think Elaine has a good point with the "kindness". This way she can't say you were rude to her. Hopefully you will be the winner with bookings, etc.

Good luck.

Mary, you've done an excellent job so far keeping your wits about you! I'm not sure I could have responded as well. I would have gone home and thought, "oh, I should have said...".

Elaine has a great idea. You won't be "competing" for the $$ that night AND you will be building future business. :)

Thanks you guys! I knew you'd help me feel better about this!

Elaine, I definitely plan on killing her with kindness. It's really the only way I operate anyway (even if I'm dying inside).

I'll keep you posted with any new developments!

Thanks again,

Mary

1. What is "Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale" about?

"Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale" is a satirical short story that follows the journey of a parent volunteer who gets roped into organizing a school fundraiser and the hilarious mishaps that ensue.

2. Is this book appropriate for all ages?

Yes, "Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale" is appropriate for all ages. However, it contains some mild language and adult humor, so parental discretion is advised for younger readers.

3. Can I use this book as a fundraiser for my organization?

Absolutely! "Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale" was written specifically for fundraising purposes. Contact us for bulk purchase options and special rates for fundraising events.

4. Who is the author of "Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale"?

The author of "Frustrated and Used: A Fundraiser Tale" is a longtime Pampered Chef consultant and former PTA parent. She wrote this story as a humorous take on her experiences with organizing school fundraisers.

5. Can I purchase this book in bulk for my organization or event?

Yes, we offer special bulk purchase rates for organizations and events. Contact us for more information on pricing and shipping options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • chef131doreen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies