• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Am Having a Hard Time Dealing W/ People Telling Me 'No'.also W/

In summary, Melissa is having a hard time dealing with people telling her no. She had a girl order through her fundraiser and the shipment is due at her work tomorrow. She was fighting with the people who ordered through her, but felt like she is inferior. She has no bookings and is afraid of rejection when asking people to book from her. Any advice?
Chozengirl
Gold Member
I am having a hard time dealing w/ people telling me 'NO'.
Also w/ inferiority (sp?).
I had a girl (3 hours away) order through a fund raiser I did.
Well, the shipment is due at her work tomorrow, and I still haven't been paid.
I was fighting w/ calling the people who ordered through her, but felt like I am inferior.
Does this make any sense?
Has anyone felt like this?
How do I get over it?
I have no bookings, and am afraid of rejection when asking people to book from me, or even open up about it.
Any Advice???

If you sit down and think you might find that when people tell you "no" that it really might be because they feel inferior...they don't want to have a show because they don't think that anyone will come, therefore they shut you down before they will have to deal with failure. Remember that for every "no" you are one step closer to getting a "yes". Rejection is always a hard thing for us women to deal with, we are by nature, people pleasers...when we don't please we feel disappointed and we internalize rejection as people not being happy or liking or being pleased with us. You are taking the no's too personally. Try to find a way to learn why the potential host doesn't want to have a show and really listen...you might be able to ease her fears...act like a therapist and make a connection!

As far as the money goes...it's your money and not theirs. I don't like to do make these calls and deal with these things either, I would rather just eat the cost and rant and rave about it...but, that doesn't get me paid. So, I will be working on that one right along with you!!

Have you tried just trying to look at things differently? There is always another way no matter what it is. You can do whatever you set your mind to, make a plan and just chip away at smaller tasks until the end goal is met. I know how you feel...but, you are not inferior!!

100 No'sI also have this problem. When I first saw this 100 No's challenge I thought it was kind of stupid. Once I read through the whole thing it inspired me. Even if you call people you know are going to say no, it still gives you practice for things to say. For instance, I called my mom who has had a million shows for me and asked her to hold another one, knowing full well she already told me she was done for a while. She said no, and I was able to graciously ask for a referral. It was just my mom, so I know all her referrals, but at least it gave me practice for someone who could possibly say yes. The whole exercise is to get you comfortable with asking, which is the biggest hurdle to jump to get your business booming!

Attachments

• 100 NOs.doc
    80 KB · Views: 354
No's have been hard for me too. Someone posted a document a couple weeks ago on this site that really helped me with my attitude towards 'No'. It is attached - it's called 100 No's. Check it out and see if it helps.

Also, if you have trouble with how to approach people, check out the other document I picked up on this forum - June Contact Challenge. It has some really great ideas for bringing up Pampered Chef with others.

I hope this helps! Hang in there - you are not inferior!!

Attachments

• 100 NOs.doc
    181.5 KB · Views: 428
  • June Contact Challenge.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 431
Melissa, We ALL hate to hear "no" so you aren't alone in that :) My favorite story about that came from Belinda Ellsworth (coming again to conference...can't wait!!) We've all been in a restaurant and had the waitress ask us if we wanted dessert. We all have said no, for one reason or another. She doesn't go in the back and get upset and say, "They told me no...I don't think I'm cut out to be a waitress." No, what they do is, smile, thank us and go on to the next customer.

If we learned (I know this is easier said than done) to share this same attitude and apply it to our business, we would be so much happier. A slice of pie after dinner is not for everyone, just like having a cooking show isn't for everyone. It's a "woman thing" to take everything to heart and take it as a rejection of us personally. It isn't.

As for the money from the fundraiser...if you can't get the chairperson to return your calls, you have every right to start contacting the guests and ask about payment. You have no reason to be embarrassed or feel like a collection agency. They purchased products and you need to be paid.

Take a deep breath....smile at yourself in the mirror...eat some chocolate...then pick up the phone and get back to work :)

Wow, I'm thinking you gals are psychologists on the side;) You gave some great advise.
The only other thing I could add is, when someone says no it just might mean 'not right now'. Ask if they might be interested in a few months or so. They might just have craziness going on right now, and just ask if you can call them back in a few months. People usually tell me I can do that.
Just keep your head up:) And try to contact 3-5 people per day & make sure you're smiling when you talk on the phone! Things will improve--they always do!

What they all said - and one thing I have learned the hard way....I do not send in a show unless I have all payments.
All my best to you - you will learn to get over the "NO's"...another thing I have learned is what my Nana used to say, "something good always comes out of something bad in the long run". :)
Last night I was tossing and turning worrying over July bookings - and today I got two!

Did the girl order or was she the chair person? I refuse to put a show through until it is paid for. The host has to collect money from all of their orders or they have to pay for it themselves and collect the money later. I have never had a host complain about this. They understand that I am running a business. After all, you wouldn't get leave the grocery store with a carriage full of food and tell them that you'll pay them later!!

chef.katie said:
Did the girl order or was she the chair person? I refuse to put a show through until it is paid for. The host has to collect money from all of their orders or they have to pay for it themselves and collect the money later. I have never had a host complain about this. They understand that I am running a business. After all, you wouldn't get leave the grocery store with a carriage full of food and tell them that you'll pay them later!!

You're so funny Katie! Maybe I'll try to run with my food next time I forget my wallet...

WoW,
thanks ladies, you really helped me!
I did call the ladies that ordered. they informed me, individually that they all paid by check on Friday. So I called the gal, no answer, left a message and she emailed me Monday to tell me that the checks are in the mail.

One more question...
Who do I call. people always say, make 3-5 calls a day, but to whom?
I already contacted my 100 people.
Who do I contact from there?
Is there a script on here? I don't even know what to say. I really want to kick my business up, and I appreciate all of your ladies help!!!

Wow Chozengirl - you read my mind! I really really need to get on the phone tonight and try to get some bookings. I've had several shows but not sure how to go about trying to get bookings out of people who said no at the show! But I hear about people doing it all the time!

Melissa,
Have you ever made Customer care calls, or out of the box calls? Another thing you can do is call all your customers who have ordered pantry items and see if they need to reorder.

Also do you have the 118 ways to get bookings document? This is a good way to find new leads.

bbauman07 said:
Melissa,
Have you ever made Customer care calls, or out of the box calls? Another thing you can do is call all your customers who have ordered pantry items and see if they need to reorder.

Also do you have the 118 ways to get bookings document? This is a good way to find new leads.

I haven't made customer care calls & what are out of the box calls?
I don't have the 118 ways ...
Where do I find that?

You know how people get jobs? They get a lot of "no's" before they get the right "yes." So it is with Pampered Chef. Lately, everytime I get near someone, somehow I've been working "Pampered Chef" into the conversation. And, just because they say no, or not right now, does not mean that they won't say yes - or know somebody who might like to say "yes." I found out one lady didn't think she knew enough people here, yet, she knows tons at "home" and could do a website or email show. I also found out one friend needed special "gluten-free" ideas. Well, I can email her that. It's like asking a friend for help..."if you can't do this for me, can you do that?" We are so creative and wise and wonderful in our own ways! If you keep saying to yourself, "Just do your best" then eventually all you do is your best.:) And, people are attracted to that fun side of you.:cool:

Trish
Wave 1

Out of the box calls are to see if the customers have taken their PC products out of the box and are using them. There are so many who never take them out and actually use them. If they haven't ask them why, maybe they are not too sure how to use it or scared to. especially with the stones people aren't quite sure how to season them. If they have taken the item out ask them what they've made with it, do they need any recipes , or give them other suggestions on how else they can use that product. Ask them if there were any other products that interested them at the show they attended, if yes them ask them if they would concider having a cooking show,or catalogue show and getting those items free. Oh if they haven't seen the new catalogue offer to send them one and contact them a few days later to see there was anything they liked in it. Hope I've helped.

Phone ScriptOK, does anyone have a phone script they use to take an out of the box call and steer it towards getting a booking - even from someone that said no when you asked them at the show?

I have such an issue with the phone - I think a lot of it was the years I spent answering the phone for the computer help desk - yuck!

yeah, I really need one of those too. I don't like the scripts in the Recipe for success because they are too wordy.

loreedfk said:
OK, does anyone have a phone script they use to take an out of the box call and steer it towards getting a booking - even from someone that said no when you asked them at the show?

I have such an issue with the phone - I think a lot of it was the years I spent answering the phone for the computer help desk - yuck!

I can ditto that one. I love emails, but they unfortunately are so impersonable.

Any phone scripts around? I tried searching, but no luck

It wouldn't let me attatch this!Guest Call – “Maybe” on Draw Slip

Purpose: To secure a Show booking

“Hi, this is ___________ calling from the Pampered Chef, I met you at ___________ Show on _________…how are you?”

“Great! I hope I’m catching you at an okay time, do you have a couple of minutes?”

[If no,]

“Okay, well I am just checking in with all of the guests from ________ Show, what would be the best time to reach you?…….”

“Great, I’ll try back then. Thanks and have a great night.”

[If yes]

“Great! Well, first of all let me say that it was so nice being able to meet you …”

“You had indicated that you were interested in hosting a show… Well, I happen to have a few dates still open for __________ , can I let you know my available dates?…”

[If yes]

[list first two available dates, if potential host is not available move onto next two available dates]

[If no]

“Okay…”

“Well, I really appreciate your time tonight…. If you think of anyone who may be interested in taking advantage of all of the terrific host benefits, please do let me know… Do you know how to reach me?…”

“Fantastic. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your evening”

Past Customer Call

“Hi, this is ___________ calling from the Pampered Chef, I met you at ___________ Show in (month)…how are you?”

“Great! I hope I’m catching you at an okay time, do you have a couple of minutes?”

[If no,]

“Okay, well I am just checking in with all of my regular customers. What would be the best time to reach you?…….”

[If yes]

“Great! I am checking in with all of my regular customers tonight…”

“How are you enjoying your products?…”

[Deal with any problems/questions they may have]

“Do you need any recipes or ideas for your products?…Great! I’ll be happy to e-mail them to you. Can I confirm your e-mail address with you?…”

“I’d also just quickly like to let you know that our special for the month of ________ is the _________ on sale for __________. This is in addition to all of the other host benefits. Doesn’t that sound fantastic!?! Do you know of anyone who would be interested in taking advantage of this great special?… Have you thought about having your own show? Remember I also do Bridal Showers and Catalogue Shows!…”

[If yes]

“Can I let you know my available dates?…” [list first two available dates, if potential host is not available move onto next two available dates]

[If no]

“Okay…”

“Well, I really appreciate your time tonight…. Is there anything that you want or need me to send you?… Let me quickly confirm your contact information before I let you go. (Read address, e-mail address, and home phone back). And, do you know how to reach me?…”

Past Host Call (1 – 6 months ago)

“Hi, this is ___________ calling from the Pampered Chef, how are you?”

[If no,]

“Okay, well I am just checking in with all of my past hosts. What would be the best time to reach you?…….”

[If yes]

“Great! I had so much fun with you and your friends at your Show! …How are you enjoying your products?…”

“Do you need any recipes or ideas for your products?…Great! I’ll be happy to e-mail them to you. Can I confirm your e-mail address with you?…”

“Just out of curiosity, has anyone indicated an interest in earning free and discounted products as you did?….”

[If yes, get info]

[If no]

“Okay.”

“Well, I really appreciate your time tonight…. Is there anything that you want or need me to send you?… Let me quickly confirm your contact information before I let you go. (Read address, e-mail address, and home phone back). And, do you know how to reach me?…”

Past Host Call (6 - 12 months ago)

“Hi, this is ___________ calling from the Pampered Chef, how are you?”

[If no,]

“Okay, well I am just checking in with all of my past hosts. What would be the best time to reach you?…….”

[If yes]

“Great! I had a really great time doing your show with you in __________ .…How are you enjoying your products?…”

“There’s a new catalogue since you earned all of those freebies… Would you be interested in teaming up again?…”

[If yes, schedule]

[If no]

“Okay.”

Gillian - did you type all that in?!? Thanks!

I'm the queen of lazy, I copied and pasted!! It wouldn't let me attatch it for some reason so I just pasted it in! Sorry it is so long, but I knew I had it and had to share!

Wow, thanks Gillian!!!
Love the queen of lazy :) Gotta steal that one from you

After my shows I will send a few selected recipes (by mail) to say a customer who bought a fluted stoneware pan or bar pan.
give it a week (sometimes more) then call to ask if she received them and has she tried any of them yet.
sometimes they will actually call me to say "thank you",so while I have them on the phone its my chance to ASK!
I have gotten several bookings this way from someone who said ,"no" orginally.If they still say NO i will ask for a referral (especially if i know they have grown children)

how do you send the recipes?
On a 3x5 or in a letter format.
I was thinking of doing this also, just not sure of how to add my info and upcoming specials.
Don't want it to all focus on me, but make them feel special too, KWIM

I Just Print Them Out On The Printer.nothing Fancy, No Graphics.
Some I Will Paste And Copy Into Word From Cc Or Other Message Boards Document Sections
Then I Attach A Little Note Saying "here Are Some Yummy Recipes To Try In Your New Stoneware Peice! Enjoy!" So Its All About Her.

I Don't Mention Anything About Hosting/booking Until The Phone Call.i Do Attach A Biz Card Though.(in Case Her Caddie Ended Up In The Recycle Bin!)

What are some tips for dealing with people who tell me "no"?

1. Stay calm and don't take it personally. It's important to remember that a "no" response is not a reflection of you as a person.

2. Ask for clarification. Sometimes, people say "no" without fully understanding the situation. Asking for more information can help you better understand their reasoning.

3. Find common ground. Look for areas of agreement or shared interests to build rapport and potentially change their response.

4. Offer alternatives. If someone says "no" to your initial request, try proposing a different solution that may be more appealing to them.

5. Respect their decision. Ultimately, you cannot force someone to say "yes" to you. It's important to accept their decision and move on.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• monicaD
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • missy'skitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Chefstover2
  • Shelbi