1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: How to enter mileage into P3

1. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

I'm sitting here with a stack of receipts, which I'm entering into P3 to try to catch up and get ahead of the game...and I haven't been logging my odometer readings, just keeping track of the mileage (thanks to MapQuest). How do I enter mileage without odometer readings into P3??? :confused: Am I just missing the obvious?

Aug 18, 2009
  2. pc_jessica

pc_jessica Advanced Member

im not sure how to do that either...however i am just keeping my logged on a notepad i will then use at the end of the year for taxes...hope that is okay!

Aug 18, 2009
  3. cindylpal

cindylpal Member Gold Member

Pampered Partners Plus...."file" ..."new"...."income/expense". I'm glad I saw this, I way over due on mine too!!!

Aug 18, 2009
  4. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

You want to click on "rate-based." You can enter the number of miles. P3 will then calculate the dollar amount.

Aug 18, 2009
  5. cindylpal

...and if you're just entering the miles, it's "rate base"!

Aug 18, 2009
  6. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

I tried that, but it won't let me enter the decimal point. It was 2.8 miles (round trip), since she lives in my neighborhood. How do I enter decimal points?

Aug 18, 2009
  7. cindylpal

sorry....as you can tell, I haven't done it for a while!!! I would just round it up or down whichever is closer...we really can't do anything else unless we enter our "start and stop" and I NEVER keep track of that!!!!

Aug 18, 2009
  8. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

How would the IRS feel about rounding? :) I personally have no problem doing it. :p

Aug 19, 2009
  9. raebates

I round my miles. There is no way to put partial miles, so just use standard rounding. If it's .1 to .4, round down. If it's .5 to .9, round up.

Aug 19, 2009
  10. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

Thanks Rae!!

Aug 19, 2009
  11. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I go by the full mile off my odometer. At the beginning of the year I bought a mileage book from ebay and keep a pen in it at all times. You can write off more than just your shows but also trips to the bank, grocery store, office supply stores, etc.

Aug 19, 2009
  12. topchef.heather

topchef.heather Member

So if we are just entering in the miles, what is the rate we use to calculate it?

13. topchef.heather

topchef.heather Member

Nevermind, I didn't see the drop down box...

14. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

IRS.gov site says it is 55 cents per mile for 2009.

Aug 20, 2009
  15. raebates

P3 calculates the legal rate automatically.

Aug 21, 2009
  16. esavvymom

Last year I had to manually enter it- remember the rate was different half way through the year. Mine wasn't entering the correct amount...and I had updates, etc. *Shrug* I haven't tried it yet for this year...I'm just a WEEE Bit behind.. :rolleyes:

Aug 21, 2009
  17. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I just got through entering stuff ... it entered 48 cents instead of 55. Not re-entering it again. Going to the accountant and I'm sure she'll sort it out!

18. esavvymom

I've never had P3 enter the legal rate automatically. It seems to enter the last amount that I entered.

2009 is 0.55 by the way.

Feb 21, 2010
  19. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

To change the rate, you need to go into an expense item (it's easiest, I find, to create a new one). Then click the "Edit categories" link. Select mileage from the list, and change the amount. All mileage items you enter after that will use the new rate.

Feb 22, 2010
  20. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

When you do your taxes the form doesn't take decimals anyway, so I would think that means the IRS is fine with rounding. Although, I'm sure they'd expect you to round down when you're at less than .5.

Feb 22, 2010
  21. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

I agree with ChefAnn! You just enter the 2009 rate. I just "edited" the mileage rate. It will keep whatever you last put in. That really is my biggest expense since I count EVERYTHING I do. If I go to Wal-mart and give someone a catalog, it is "business mileage". If I go to the bank, the Y, Weight Watchers, etc. and give out a catalog and/or take an order, it goes down as business mileage! You would be amazed how fast it adds up!

Feb 22, 2010
Have something to add?