• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Start a Pampered Chef Conversation With a Stranger?!

In summary, the conversation is about how to approach strangers and start a conversation about hosting a party or selling products without coming off as pushy or sales-y. Some suggestions include starting a conversation about something else and eventually bringing up PC, wearing logo gear to make it easier for others to mention PC, and asking for help or advice while grocery shopping and offering a recipe or contact information. The overall advice is to not force the conversation to be about PC and to practice starting conversations in general.
kristine2011
Hi everyone! I am a newbie (had two shows in Jan and only have 2 booked so far for late Feb) and have done my best to let everyone I know that I started PC. I feel like what I've got to do now is start talking to strangers (!!) outside my circle. :eek: I've read alot about how to respond to questions from people who show interest in PC or mention that they love the products, etc. but does anyone have any suggestions for starting a conversation about hosting a show or selling product if the other person doesn't bring it up first? (i.e. at the grocery store or in a waiting room, etc.) I feel like I would know how to respond if they started the conversation but am not yet confident enough to start one myself with a stranger! :blushing: Any tips/tricks/conversation starter ideas? Thanks!

I'm stalking this thread.. I'm pretty shy when it comes to bringing up business with strangers. It's like "hey, nice to meet you, buy some stuff" and I personally hate those kind of people. So I'll be watching for responses but whatever you do, good luck :) Looks like we're in the same kinda position!

I usually start a conversation about something else. Then as it moves on I eventually get to "What do you do for a living?" Then they ask and it gets the ball rolling.

The one thing that's always stuck with me from a training I took part in was this: Not every conversation you have will be about PC, and you should not force it to go there.

Practice starting conversations in general. If at the grocery store, make a comment about an item on the shelf or in the other person's cart. Compliments (genuine compliments) are a great way to start a conversation.

From there, just have a conversation. If you're listening just to find a way to work PC into the conversation (and jump at the first chance you get), you'll come across as fake. If you have a nice conversation and PC doesn't come up, just chalk it up to experience.

Oh, and wear logo wear. It gives the other party the ability to mention PC because they know you're the PC lady.

Leanna- by all means stalk away! ;)

Amy & Noora - thanks for the advice. I guess somehow even after all these years that "don't talk to strangers" mindset my parents drilled into me has really stuck! ;) Once you get me going, I'm an open book but it's just that initial contact and starting the conversation that I need to practice on. It's just not my normal personality to strike up a conversation with someone I don't know in a public place.

I'm thinking some logo gear is in order :) Maybe the yoga set to wear to they gym? And then I guess I should also start going to the gym! LOL!

At the grocery store I am always "asking" people for help. I always have my recipe printed out w/ the shopping list on it and I pretend that I don't know where something is, or what brand I should buy or what kind of something I should get. I ask their opinion etc. That starts the ball rolling and they usually ask what I am making or needing it for. That always leads to PC. I also always offer to email or send them the recipe I am working on if they give me their contact info. I even acted like I didn't know what type of Sharp cheddar I wanted at a deli counter and that started the conversation on PC. I actually gave her my recipe on the spot w/ all my info on it because she booked a party before I even had my cheese. Easiest way I know to start the conversation.

Shelly Flanagan said:
At the grocery store I am always "asking" people for help. I always have my recipe printed out w/ the shopping list on it and I pretend that I don't know where something is, or what brand I should buy or what kind of something I should get. I ask their opinion etc. That starts the ball rolling and they usually ask what I am making or needing it for. That always leads to PC. I also always offer to email or send them the recipe I am working on if they give me their contact info. I even acted like I didn't know what type of Sharp cheddar I wanted at a deli counter and that started the conversation on PC. I actually gave her my recipe on the spot w/ all my info on it because she booked a party before I even had my cheese. Easiest way I know to start the conversation.

Thank you!!!! You just gave me a myriad of ideas to use. Sooo easy, after I am just a "dumb guy" ;) I see this working ( could tell you some stories about how helpful some women are to a guy that looks dazed in confused in the store)

I am really chatty about whatever I am doing. The other day in the shoe store I mentioned that I needed these shoes quickly because I had a conference to go to. That led to the inevitable question of "What's this conference?" And as I walked out the door I asked "Do you have a PC Lady?" She was so excited about the new products coming out she asked me to come back with a new catalog.

At my bank I set up a seperate account for PC and I was very vocal about why I was setting it up. Soon the asst. bank manager asked what business I was doing and now he is doing a catalog show! Wohooo!

Be vocal, chat the up, and it will fall into place. And don't worry if you drop the ball. There is always another person who needs kitchen tools!

Noora's right. Don't force it. Wear PC logowear whenever possible. One of the best things to say if you're someplace where a conversation is natural is, "Tell me about yourself." Listen to the answer and ask questions if appropriate. It is then very natural for them to ask about you. Mention PC. If they're interested they'll pursue that line of conversation.

Ok...so playing the devil's advocate here, but if you are playing the part of someone who doesn't know what cheese to buy, or where something is, and then you turn it around to say "I'm a Pampered Chef consultant". doesn't that make you look bad? That's like a car salesman pretending he doesn't know how to start his car, then you get talking and he says he sells cars for a living or he's a mechanic and wants to know if you need any work done. Uh..yeah. I'd buy something from him. NOT.I guess that's how I'd feel if I talked to someone in the store in that manner.Now I have heard of folks "stalking" in the store for someone in the baking aisle for example...just waiting basically, and then when someone comes by to buy what you are looking at (say brownie mix), they ask "what are you making?"..."I'm making..XXX", and then go from there.

I listened to the 8 recruits in 8 weeks conference call the other night and the one thing he said that stuck out was when ppl ask "how are you" you should respond, im great, my kids are great, my (wife/husband) is great (if you have one, and my job is great. and then of course they are going to ask you what you doyou could use another worrd besides great but you get the picture

Kristine
there is also a thread on pampering a business that culd help you reach outside of your circle if you live anywhere near a business district it could be a goldmine. It will alos help you practice talking to strangers about your business.

Jan

I have not personally tried this yet, not gutsy enough, but I still think that it was a good idea. I listen to Karen Phelps and she said that when you are getting your hair done, or nails done, or are sitting in Starbucks, approach people and tell them that you are doing some research to the average person and if you can ask them some questions. If they say yes, ask them if they have ever heard of Pampered Chef. Ask them if they own anything from PC. Ask them when the last time they hosted/been to a party. Ask them if they know this months specials...etc. She said it may not get you a show right away but it will definitely increase your contact base. And will at least get the convo started. And she said that if they say no right off the bat, that's ok too. Move on to the next person and go for no!

Everyone has some great ideas! I tend to second Bobbi's feelings about the playing dumb in the grocery store but I could see how that could work depending on the situation (and might be a good way to get into the segway of "PC is so easy, you don't even have to be a foodie to succeed..." which could help plant a seed for recruiting?!)

I think what I'm going to do to start is: order my logowear! And I have also thought of 2 local businesses where I know someone personally to see if I could do a Pamper a Business or catalog show (my hair place and my bank)- where I wouldn't feel totally overwhelmed walking in to a place where I knew absolutely no one! My goal is to make it to those places tomorrow to try to meet my goal of talking to 3 people a day! Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

esavvymom said:
Ok...so playing the devil's advocate here, but if you are playing the part of someone who doesn't know what cheese to buy, or where something is, and then you turn it around to say "I'm a Pampered Chef consultant". doesn't that make you look bad? That's like a car salesman pretending he doesn't know how to start his car, then you get talking and he says he sells cars for a living or he's a mechanic and wants to know if you need any work done. Uh..yeah. I'd buy something from him. NOT.

I guess that's how I'd feel if I talked to someone in the store in that manner.

Now I have heard of folks "stalking" in the store for someone in the baking aisle for example...just waiting basically, and then when someone comes by to buy what you are looking at (say brownie mix), they ask "what are you making?"..."I'm making..XXX", and then go from there.

Bobbi,
Not everyone shops in the same grocery store so you may not know where things are. And pretend I don't know which brand and if I want mild, medium, sharp or extra sharp cheddar. I don't play DUMB I play I need your assistance. I am not a stalker, I am a talker. Having people feel like they have helped shows THEM that they can do what I do, and I believe wholeheartedly in recruiting. Sales are only one aspect. You can sell $5k a month consistently, but if you don't recruit then how to you advance?!

Actually, Shelly, you can advance to "Elite Seller" and be a director without recruiting, but I digress since it's not really about it.

I'm not fond of the "ask me about my job" because PC is not my primary job, but I agree ... you may not know where they keep things in a store you've never been to. For example, I know where everything is in the Giant Eagle I go to all the time ... but put me in a newly renovated one 30 minutes away and I'm lost! And yes, you don't need to be a foodie to succeed.

I've had hit or miss success ... I've told people I was looking for items for a Pampered Chef recipe and they said, "Oh, uh-huh" and I've had other people chase me down just because they saw Pampered Chef on the catalog tote! And I didn't say a WORD to those people!

@Shelly -- "I'm not a stalker, I'm a talker." <-- Love this mentality! :)

Shelly Flanagan said:
Bobbi,
Not everyone shops in the same grocery store so you may not know where things are. And pretend I don't know which brand and if I want mild, medium, sharp or extra sharp cheddar. I don't play DUMB I play I need your assistance. I am not a stalker, I am a talker. Having people feel like they have helped shows THEM that they can do what I do, and I believe wholeheartedly in recruiting. Sales are only one aspect. You can sell $5k a month consistently, but if you don't recruit then how to you advance?!

Interesting. However, I don't think that playing games with people in the grocery store is the only way to recruit people. I believe wholeheartedly in recruiting also...but I've never done it by camping out in the baking aisle at the grocery store. I had a lady in the cosmetics aisle do that to me one time, and I knew what she was doing and just wanted to get away from her. :)

What I have done is be genuinely helpful when someone has had a question or was looking for something in the store and I knew the answer to their question. Being alert and keeping your ears open can be very beneficial, but I'm not someone who can or will wait in a grocery aisle to delay people as they are shopping. (and I recruit people in many ways.)

ChefBeckyD said:
Interesting. However, I don't think that playing games with people in the grocery store is the only way to recruit people. I believe wholeheartedly in recruiting also...but I've never done it by camping out in the baking aisle at the grocery store. I had a lady in the cosmetics aisle do that to me one time, and I knew what she was doing and just wanted to get away from her. :)

What I have done is be genuinely helpful when someone has had a question or was looking for something in the store and I knew the answer to their question. Being alert and keeping your ears open can be very beneficial, but I'm not someone who can or will wait in a grocery aisle to delay people as they are shopping. (and I recruit people in many ways.)

I don't "lay in wait" for people and I certainly do not "camp out"and I do not know what part of my comments you misread to get that idea. I also don't do this every time I go to the store. I was trying to give her an idea on how to approach/talk to a stranger w/o just coming right out and saying "I do PC". What would you suggest she do?

I had to ask where something was at a store I am not familiar with. I actually had to ask 4 different people. They all were very friendly and helpful. I did have the cat in my hand but no inquiries. But I do see the potential and will keep asking where things are and smiling behind my catalog. I also would not feel comfortable "playing dumb" then presenting my self as a PCC.If I can make contact, smile and continue to 'meet ' them up and down subsequent aisles and finally at the check out....who knows.

1. How do you approach a stranger to start a Pampered Chef conversation?

When approaching a stranger to start a Pampered Chef conversation, it's important to be friendly and genuine. You can start by introducing yourself and asking them if they have ever heard of Pampered Chef. This can lead to a natural conversation about the products and the company.

2. What is the best way to break the ice and start a conversation about Pampered Chef?

One of the best ways to break the ice and start a conversation about Pampered Chef is to ask the person if they enjoy cooking or if they like trying new recipes. This can lead to a discussion about the convenience and quality of Pampered Chef products for cooking and meal prep.

3. How do you make a connection with a stranger when talking about Pampered Chef?

To make a connection with a stranger when talking about Pampered Chef, it's important to listen to their responses and show genuine interest in their thoughts and opinions. You can also share your personal experience with Pampered Chef products and how they have improved your cooking and meal prep routines.

4. What are some effective conversation starters for talking about Pampered Chef?

Some effective conversation starters for talking about Pampered Chef include asking the person if they have ever hosted or attended a Pampered Chef party, or if they have any favorite products from the brand. You can also mention any current promotions or new products to pique their interest.

5. How do you transition from a conversation about Pampered Chef to a potential sale?

The key to transitioning from a conversation about Pampered Chef to a potential sale is to continue building a connection with the person and understanding their needs. You can offer to share more information about specific products or invite them to a Pampered Chef party. It's important to not be pushy and respect their decision if they are not interested.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lisasfuncooking
  • CAPCnewbie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
tlag1986
Replies